Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Favorite Videogames of this decade

Aaron    2068

What're your favorite videogames from this decade? 

Off the top of my head; 

Breath of the Wild

Divinity Original Sin 2

Trails in the Sky SC

Red Dead Redemption 2

The Witcher 3

Dishonored 2

Skyrim VR

God of War

Fire Emblem Three houses

Dark Souls

I feel BOTW is a really easy bet. It revolutionised open world gaming as it made me forget about the mini-map, something which I've always focussed on as opposed to looking at the world around me.

DOS 2 was amazing in regards to combat, quest line choice and charm. 

Trails in the Sky SC follows FC with best in class character development and simple but beautifully woven story. Cold Steel 2 is similar but more anime and on steroids with less class and nuance in storytelling. 

RDR2 combined narrative with excellent gameplay and graphical fidelity.

TW3 has set the bar for side quest quality which I'm not sure will be bettered for a long time. 

Dishonored 2 is the only FPS which makes me feel like I have true control over my powers and the situations with multiple ways to deal with lots of issues. 

Skyrim (/VR) was just a beautiful experience and with modding becomes whatever you want it to be. In VR being head to head with a dragon is cool.

God of War was a beautifully told story which left me wanting more with well balanced combat on the hardest difficulties but had crap boss battles. 

Three Houses is a flawed title but is the best tactical RPG re: FE to date. 

Dark Souls is the game for me which just absorbed me. Best in class boss design, combat and world design I've ever seen. The way they interconnected everything is simply incredible and something I haven't really witnessed in any other video game.

What were your favorites from this decade? 

+rei+    35047

all of these are 'i really had fun' more than 'this is an objective quality product'

Skyrim

Persona 5 (and Persona 4 Golden) 

Nier Automata

Fallout: New Vegas

Katawa Shoujo

Starcraft 2

Duke Nukem Forever

Portal 2

Hotline Miami

Towerfall / Towerfall Ascension 

FF15 awkwardly looking in but not actually making the cut 

+Urthor    10234

Crosscode

The Nameless Mod

I'll add more when I think of them

Faint    5975

God of War

GTA 5

Assassins Creed Odessy

Spiderman ps4

Idk I think this decade really struggled for quality from what I played

Aaron    2068
On 02/01/2020 at 5:22 PM, Faint said:

God of War

GTA 5

Assassins Creed Odessy

Spiderman ps4

Idk I think this decade really struggled for quality from what I played

I'm always surprised by this opinion

RDR2

BOTW

GOW

DOS2

FE games

Bloodborne

have all been near best-in-class for me.

RDR2 is the best open world game I've played in regards to storytelling and world mechanics. Witcher 3 edges it in side quest quality and atmosphere.

BOTW was just a beautiful open world GAME.

GOW revitalised the video gaming single player RPG formula IMO and is close to a piece of art with the over the shoulder angle

DOS2 was phenomenal for a CRPG and modernised the entire formula and provided a sense of freedom and creativity we haven't seen in ages.

FE revitalised the tactical RPG gentre and altho not quite at FFT levels.. has added A LOT of mechanics which are AMAZING imo (having kids, time skips, relationships)

Bloodborne re-wrote the formula of the 2009 Dark Souls and somehow made it different but just as good with a faster gameplay mechanic anc accessibility

I honestly see any of those game seasily getting into my best video games of all time list. I find when I look back at older games its sometimes with rose tinted specs. I still can't keep up with the ammount of video games produced and my backlog continues to grow which I believe it testament to the quality of games i still there somewhat.

I just think the transition between graphical fidelity, storytelling and games being GAMES is a bit of a rocky one..

Faint    5975
On 04/02/2020 at 8:40 PM, Aaron said:

I'm always surprised by this opinion

RDR2

BOTW

GOW

DOS2

FE games

Bloodborne

have all been near best-in-class for me.

RDR2 is the best open world game I've played in regards to storytelling and world mechanics. Witcher 3 edges it in side quest quality and atmosphere.

BOTW was just a beautiful open world GAME.

GOW revitalised the video gaming single player RPG formula IMO and is close to a piece of art with the over the shoulder angle

DOS2 was phenomenal for a CRPG and modernised the entire formula and provided a sense of freedom and creativity we haven't seen in ages.

FE revitalised the tactical RPG gentre and altho not quite at FFT levels.. has added A LOT of mechanics which are AMAZING imo (having kids, time skips, relationships)

Bloodborne re-wrote the formula of the 2009 Dark Souls and somehow made it different but just as good with a faster gameplay mechanic anc accessibility

I honestly see any of those game seasily getting into my best video games of all time list. I find when I look back at older games its sometimes with rose tinted specs. I still can't keep up with the ammount of video games produced and my backlog continues to grow which I believe it testament to the quality of games i still there somewhat.

I just think the transition between graphical fidelity, storytelling and games being GAMES is a bit of a rocky one..

I forgot about RDR2!!! yeah that's definitely up there at the top.

I should probably pick up the console and BOTW to be honest, just never got around to it

+rei+    35047

gonna be a nitpicky prick but hasn't FE been doing that for like 20 years? 

Aaron    2068
2 hours ago, rei said:

gonna be a nitpicky prick but hasn't FE been doing that for like 20 years? 

The way the children, marriages and the recent timeskip mechanic has worked is masterful. 

The children especially (which I really missed from three houses but I get it). 

+rei+    35047

Really I can think of a cant-miss top tier game or two from every genre this decade

JRPG: Persona 5, Nier Automata, Trails of Cold Steel

WRPG: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 (?) 

Shooter: Doom
Survival horror: Amnesia: The Dark Descent 

RTS: Starcraft II 

MOBA: Dota 2

There are more good third person shooters than you can count, list goes on and i realized im not dedicated enough to keep giving examples 

And that's not even listing basically-its-own-genre-now Soulsborne games 

+rei+    35047

I feel like I gotta mention Undertale too, despite how obnoxious its fandom got 

i honestly have a hard time differentiating in my mind what came out pre-2010 and what came out between 2010-2015, but i just wanna say that it's a travesty no one has even mentioned hollow knight yet

CSGO has been both an amazing spectator game as well as something to jump in with friends on a weekend. I don't play a lot nowadays, but it's really, really fun to watch and place a cheeky bet here or there.