Sign in to follow this  
Starlight Warrior

Replacing Level Eater

Level Eater is and was a fantastic card.  A Level 1 DARK Insect monster that had the greatest utility once it was in the GY, it could be resurrected by feeding it a star from one of your Level 5 or above monsters on the field.  (Target that face-up monster, reduce its Level by 1, Special Summon Eater from GY.)  It got banned due to players' ability to abuse it for mass Link Summoning (Linkuribohs for DAYS), and frankly, I was upset about that because my primary deck is Synchrons and I didn't even have any Linkuribohs at the time.  Since the current format is ass (I hate it when Konami decides we need more control-by-prevention and less back-and-forth interaction), I thought I'd start looking to the future.

In April, the rules will change so that Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monsters can be Special Summoned from the Extra Deck to Main Monster Zones without the aid of Link Monsters (I believe that Pendulum Monsters that are face-up in the Extra Deck will not get this bonus, even if they are Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz), so I'm looking to rebuild my old Synchro strategies.  However, Quickdraw Synchron + Level Eater was a favorite combo of mine because of the ease with which I could get out Level 5 Synchros which could then help me summon my bosses (Quasar, Blazar, or Sifr).  So now I'm looking for ways to replace Level Eater, not just for its ability to get a body on the field but also for its Level manipulation abilities.

As far as getting monsters on the field to use as Synchro Material goes, there are dozens of candidates, but when it comes to manipulating Levels, I've only found one monster that even comes close to the kind of synergy that Quickdraw and Level Eater had: Catche Eve L2.  She's a Level 2 Cyberse monster with this effect.

If this card is in your hand: You can target 1 Level 3 or higher monster you control; reduce its Level by exactly 2, and if you do, Special Summon this card. You can only use this effect of "Catche Eve L2" once per turn.

Are there any other cards I could use to replace Level Eater both for getting a body on the field AND for manipulating Levels?

• Upvote 2