Aaron

Top Tier TV Shows

Aaron    2065

What're the top tier TV shows you know of? 

I've watched a fair few recently (You, Castlevania, Westworld, The end of the fucking world, Bad boys). Maybe only Kingdom really impressed me. 

I thought to myself maybe I just don't like TV shows anymore. Maybe anime has ruined me for pacing, characterisation, plot complexity.

Then I watched Chernobyl and I was instantly reminded of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, Game of Thrones. 

Does anyone know of any other shows which reach those heights? As much as I thought Bad Boys et al were okay, my time is limited and I'd rather be watching shows which are the very best. 

Aaron    2065

for anyone interested I've found my list of TV shows I'll try to work through.. lol.

Sopranos
Deadwood
The Left overs
Mad Men
Mr. Robot 
Fargo
Ozark
Succession
Handmaid's Tale
Boardwalk Empire
Dexter 
Haunting of Hill House
The Shield
Barry 
Doom Patrol
The Americans 
Generation Kill 
Legion
Twin Peaks 

+rei+    35015

You can skip dexter. Yeeeesh

I don't watch TV, but holy Mr Robot is something special 

I really enjoyed Halt and Catch Fire, but I'm super into the subject material so... 

• Upvote 3

Aaron    2065
1 hour ago, BuildTheWalia said:

House of Cards and Vikings if you haven’t seen em already

Thanks. I've watched some of house of cards.I think the first 3 seasons. Lost a lot of its charm for me when it lost a dimension of the story in the first season (trying not to spoil). 

I found House of Cards was REALLY good but REALLY slow. Every episode was good but ultimately I felt like I wasted a lot of time watching each episode because progress made seemed slow or inconsequential. 

Vikings I'll add to my list. 

I'm watching the Sopranos now and content that its fucking phenomenal. So easy to watch too. Already blasted through 9 episodes and I'm not the binge watching type of guy. 

+Sophocles    3332

Legion and Fargo get an A from me, noah hawley's brilliant

Altered carbon season 1 is A-, pretty damn good. Ditch the second season, it diverges too much from the strengths of the source material.

+Sophocles    3332

I liked Killing Eve a lot, good show to watch with a girlfriend. Intense drama but also very funny at times

Aaron    2065

Thanks guys. Once I finish the sopranos I'll pick up one of these shows (probably mr. robot first). 

TBH Sorpanos is simply sublime. I can't get over how good it is yet somehow how funny it is too. Its got a curb your enthusiasm quality to some of the humour and delivery whilst still keeping itself serious. Its also very very watchable. I'm already nearing the end of the first season now (last episode) and I only started it yesterday and I am not the bingey type of person. 

One of the episodes was literally like playing the Witcher 3. the moral dilemmas were driving me crazy. 

• Upvote 2

Faint    5973

Mr Robot is the best tv show that has ever aired- superior to BB, The Wire etc for sure

Better Call Saul is excellent 

Daredevil is very very good (s3 is incredible) on netflix and after that, The Punisher has 2 very solid seasons

Line of Duty is gritty and fucking brilliantly written (well it was up to s5... then it's gone downhill a bit but still strong)

The Bodyguard has an excellent season out

Killing Eve is over acted but a good watch 

House of Cards was good for it's time but doesnt resonate at all nowadays - wouldnt bother with it (part of the charm was how it resonated with reality, just not the case any more)

Tiger King is fucking wild if you want something bad but gripping and entertaining 

Ozark is ok but forgettable

Dr Foster was a good watch for a few seasons as well

Basically work down that list. Mr Robot should absolutely be your starting point though

mr robot:dramatic television/inheritance cycle (eragon, et al):high fantasy novels ((this is not a compliment))

hopefully you finished watching twin peaks aaron

Haruki    12665

the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya

ouran high school host club

nana

welcome to the nhk

honey and clover

school rumble

azumanga daioh

love hina

flcl

great teacher onizuka

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2065
16 hours ago, Metal Gear Salad said:

Better Call Saul has been as good as Breaking Bad. And that says a lot.

I dumped it after the first season where I jsut felt it was very depressing and slow but extremely good. does it get better? 

57 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I dumped it after the first season where I jsut felt it was very depressing and slow but extremely good. does it get better? 

Season 5 is the best season of TV I've watched. Agreed, however, that it was incredibly slow for season 1-2.

Aaron    2065
35 minutes ago, Metal Gear Salad said:

Season 5 is the best season of TV I've watched. Agreed, however, that it was incredibly slow for season 1-2.

go amn is it slow for season 2 too? 

I haven't watched it i nyears so it would require me re-watching from the start.  Its low on my list but I will try to get around to re-watching it. 

I'm currently on seaon 3 of the sopranos and its incredibly legit. 

Faint    5973
On 17/04/2020 at 3:55 PM, Metal Gear Salad said:

Watch mr robot, it comfortably blows BCS and BB out of the water (even s5 of both).

Annoying that BCS s6 likely wont air for 18 months

Sopranos is awesome

Faint    5973
On 27/04/2020 at 0:44 PM, my bloody arcanine said:

pretty little liars

I honestly tried cos I thought it had a decent concept but the acting in this is so fucking appauling

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2020 at 0:00 AM, Faint said:

I honestly tried cos I thought it had a decent concept but the acting in this is so fucking appauling

it's for gays 

Aaron    2065

nearly finishing the sopranos then will move onto Mr. Robot next. 

Sopranos is excellent but season 5 and half of season 6 really killed the show for me as it was just very boring. 

These are the threads old man dgz needs

Aaron    2065

Completed the Sopranos. Was EXCELLENT. 

I got bored a bit in season 5 and half of season 6. Ton'y long lost incarcerated cousin came into the story, totally out of place. Was weird when they had so many other characters they could have used. 

Watched a new episode of Curb your enthusiasm and surprisingly.. didn't enjoy it. I think maybe my humour has changed a bit. I found the writing EXTREMELY smart. How he opens up like 10 plot threads during the first 10 minutes and weaves them all into the end is great; top tier writing.. but I think I'm just a bit over comedies. 

Will now start Mr. Robot as per instruction here but I'm trying to work through a few films before I dedicate myself to a new TV show 

• Upvote 1