Sign in to follow this  
Takeo

Did God Create Evil? (FOOD FOR THOUGHT #2)

Takeo    1

A Nice Read..

Did God create everything that exists?

Does evil exist? Did God create evil?

A University professor at a well known institution of higher learning challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?"

A student bravely replied, "Yes he did!"

"God created everything?" The professor asked.

"Yes sir, he certainly did," the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything; then God created evil.

And, since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are, then we can assume God is evil."

The student became quiet and did not answer the professor's hypothetical definition. The professor, quite pleased with himself, boasted to the students that he

had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "May I ask you a question, professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The other students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 F) is the total absence of heat; and all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said. We see it everyday. It is in the daily examples of man's Inhumanity to man. It is

in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God'

s love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat, or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name - Albert Einstein

Thoughts?

HIV    0

It was a nice read but is it true?

Takeo    1

Everything stated inside is true and very scientifically accurate..

However I don't know whether Einstein said it or whether this happened at all (whether the boy was Einstein or not)...

I haven't tried googling it yet...

But it is nice huh?

Mongoose    92

This is neat. I've always found it somehow unique when the opposites of things define themselves. Night doesn't exist without day, etc.

I doubt Einstein said it. Probably some parrable made up to boost the faith.

On a scientific note, what he said was true until you look at everything from a quantum mechanics perspective. Electrons can still exist and be active in the s2 and d10 orbitals at absolute zero. Yet somehow they can still bond =[

It's still a field we need to discover. Finding out how the things inside an atom works is like throwing a watch on the ground, making it break apart, and trying to put the pieces together to see how they work. AND lightwaves are larger, so it's not like we can even see it visually. =[[[[[

+rei+    34654

Is a killer not a murderer because he simply created an absence of life?

Takeo    1

We already had this mini-chat on MSN, rei. :)

"Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself.

That bit kinda lessens the burning rei might start with that :D

There is yet another dimension to this "Evil's existence debate" which encompasses "FREEWILL".

Again, Evil does exist but not "unto itself"...

God Creates Beings, Certain Beings With Free-Will (ie Satan and the "jinns" & Humans) help a new concept into existence, the concept of "Evil" opposed to "Good"...

And ofcourse we have to look @ perception, ethnocentrism + abstract within perception, which help to define things on scales (such as Good and Bad, Right + wrong).

The simplicity, I would say, is that:

Evil exists as much as Cold

(Just, as "Einstein", said...)

It is there.. However, humans created fires... The Sun emits its heat... But nothing emits or creates cold...

In the same way, Good existed unto itself... Evil was the bi-product, for where there was a "lack of Good".. or rather, a "lack of sense and perception" ~ thus destroying lines between God + Bad, making things which to us are EVIL, not evil at all in the offenders mind.

Mongoose:

Not SaucE!!.. it's Sausage XD

Source??:

I got it through an e-mail from a friend...

It clearly makes sense, but there are things which make for interesting discussion.

---

oh and mongoose: on the subject of perception + measurement through opposites.

Often people go through the route that says there are two extremes, and anything inbetween is measured.. and without one extreme, you cannot measure the other, judge it.. or even perceive it (as though you would not know what to make of it, you would be absolutely confused).

"Einstein's" thinking was not as such, but quite different.. in that, it is possible to only have one "extreme", and is possible to judge/measure/PERcEIVE! related things on the same "scale" without having the expected "other end of the stick"..., by looking at a "LACK" of something, rather than the ABUNDANCE of something.

BiPi    1032

a killer is a murderer simply due to the instance that he/she has KILLED. it's the action of killing that makes a person a murderer. on the other hand, perhaps there is so such thing as an absence of life. looking at the issue religiously, the population started from the two: adam and eve. 2 lives were the sum of character then, but the sense of actuality with the earth was between them. it's not so much looking at numbers (the difference between 2 and 6 billion) then it is looking at existence itself. if only one person were living, the fact of the matter would be, yes, people exist. going more religiously, let's say that God is a capsule of existence... simply put, there still would be no god without the existence of beings. so what am i saying? as long as something is living, there is no absence of life. let's say there was no form of life (thinking scientifically now)... then there wouldn't be any instances or twinkles of imagination that would insist that life is absent. i feel that the 'existence' reference you made does not contribute much to philosophizing about the existence of evil.

how i look at the "did god make evil" idea: there is no good and bad. good is just a comparison of progress or stability, while bad is the focus on things that prevent progress and stability. putting it as simple as i can, GOOD would not exist without comparison to bad. you can't say things are bad without some sense of what good is. you can't say things are good without some sense of what bad is. WHERE did the human sense of good and bad come from? i think it's a measure of progress and stability. but still, NO DOUBT God made it all.

Takeo    1

Black Paladin:

~did you ignore my stint on the effect this text has on the notions of duality and scale-based perceptions

?

sorry mate, but it would seem you've gone a little too technical without being EXACT.

strayed from fact to strict philosophy.

BiPi    1032

Black Paladin:

~did you ignore my stint on the effect this text has on the notions of duality and scale-based perceptions

?

sorry mate, but it would seem you've gone a little too technical without being EXACT.

strayed from fact to strict philosophy.

yah, but what you said wasn't on quite the lines that it ran through in my head. the measure thing you said for good and bad... just about the same thing i said. you clearly emphasized that the two measures of the einstein example and good/bad are on another scale. i understand that, surely, but worked past it and used philosophy. on the other hand, you yourself made it difficult to comprehend whether you were speaking on the basis of religion or factual entities when you refer to lacking measures in comparison to those of abundance. since when did measurements have some automatic perception on what good or bad is? it just didn't fit well into my mind. so i used my own examples, hence the focus jumps. it shouldn't matter what jumps i made, just as long as my points came out.

Guest SyKoTiC   
Guest SyKoTiC

Except, of course, the part about "God" existing.

Guest Ryu   
Guest Ryu

There it go.

Takeo    1

):,

i WAS talking about the scientific examples Einstein was using. B)

and w00 go tr0x lol.

yah, but what you said wasn't on quite the lines that it ran through in my head. the measure thing you said for good and bad... just about the same thing i said. you clearly emphasized that the two measures of the einstein example and good/bad are on another scale. i understand that, surely, but worked past it and used philosophy. on the other hand, you yourself made it difficult to comprehend whether you were speaking on the basis of religion or factual entities when you refer to lacking measures in comparison to those of abundance. since when did measurements have some automatic perception on what good or bad is? it just didn't fit well into my mind. so i used my own examples, hence the focus jumps. it shouldn't matter what jumps i made, just as long as my points came out.

the "stint" on opposites was not about Good and Bad, but rather following Mongoose's comment on "perception through opposites".

Measurements - They don't have an AUTOMATIC perception on what good or bad is...

We don't measure Evil.. and put a scale on it generally (some could consider the number of years of a prison sentence the measurement ;) )... oh hey you have done "1.7 KiloDevilletrons - 1.7 KD lol).

again, was TALKING to mongoose...

but was asking did you ignore, cuz i wanted a goddamn reply to it ! B)

Read the posts above b4 ya post plz.. and try n see where im directly taking the stance on another person's comment or idea.