Sign in to follow this  
Jason Almighty

Standardized Testing.

I'm not talking ACT/SAT college entrance. Simply, many states have standardized tests that students have to pass Junior year to graduate. What are your thoughts? Is it worth it? Why? Why not?

I'll post my opinion later.

+rei+    34654

In Canada there is no standardized testing for post-secondary education. Also every highschool has a required set they need to teach everyone in a particular course so people applying to universities (that all cost the same, regardless of how good they are) simply look at the marks in each course. Sure there are variations school to school and teacher to teacher, but EVERYONE has the oppertunity. Some people may not be the greatest test takers, and thatshouldnt limit them, while those who excel at tests sitll have inclass tests and exams to help their mark. i feel this works beautifully

»Muffin    1

In Canada there is no standardized testing for post-secondary education. Also every highschool has a required set they need to teach everyone in a particular course so people applying to universities (that all cost the same, regardless of how good they are) simply look at the marks in each course. Sure there are variations school to school and teacher to teacher, but EVERYONE has the oppertunity. Some people may not be the greatest test takers, and thatshouldnt limit them, while those who excel at tests sitll have inclass tests and exams to help their mark. i feel this works beautifully

really we have the literacy test in ontario i dont no if that counts. There is also some math test everyoen has to do in ontario on grd9 but u dont need to pass.

standertized testing is stupid and a waste of time. If someone hasnt covered something or learnt something then their at a unfair disadvantage to no fault of their own.

Animerocks    3

In my oppinion its kind of lame,most of the stuff in their has no use to you in real life generally,i mean shit like algerbra is what we have collage for,i mean i know the point of a basic backround,but it shouldnt be the differnce between failing and passing school. =/

+rei+    34654

really we have the literacy test in ontario i dont no if that counts. There is also some math test everyoen has to do in ontario on grd9 but u dont need to pass.

standertized testing is stupid and a waste of time. If someone hasnt covered something or learnt something then their at a unfair disadvantage to no fault of their own.

I know, I live in Ontario. But thats just to show you can read. Your MARK doesnt go anywhere, its just PASS/FAIL

Guest All   
Guest All

The literacy exam is the worst. Half a day worth of bullshit. Then you still have to go to school. However its to see if you know the basics [reading and writing] so its no big deal.

BiPi    1032

not worth it because some people have an advantage/disadvantage depending on the school they attend

EXACTLY.

see, that's the thing... states have based the funding they give to schools on how well students do on their tests. this forces schools to get better, teach better. get rid of the slacker teachers and hire fresh, new teachers. it forces them to widen the lesson agenda in classes so that when juniors take the test, they pass them.

SURE, it might not be fair to students who have never been that bright, but how many "not-bright" students from one school do you gotta have before you question the education there? clearly, it's one solution to undeducated people. more educated people helps the economy, helps businesses to grow, so it does more than just threaten students to open books, and "force" others to drop out (so many bomb threats just cus of it).

it really is a solution. you just need to look at it in another way.

»Muffin    1

The literacy exam is the worst. Half a day worth of bullshit. Then you still have to go to school. However its to see if you know the basics [reading and writing] so its no big deal.

i didnt have to go to school afterwards.

literacy test is stupid. they try and get u with instructions. i f they say 100 words they mean it. if u dont indent ure paragraph u fail its so fucking pointless. although it is kinda funny when white ppl fail the literacy test

Yes.

You have to have something like this to keep schools in line.

That's a good point as well.

And.. I would follow up with my opinion, but I'm lazy atm. I'll post it tomorrow.