im so gay

What album are you listening to

Eternal    13

Thought Dark Comedy and A Special Episode were quite good, so I thought I'd give this a listen. I've liked it quite a bit. Also really enjoyed the feature by Aesop Rock on track 2 (even though a lyric or two of Aes' felt kind of stale). I'm a bit new to rap / hip hop, but I feel like I've been heading in the right direction the last year.

a1158245013_10.jpg

• Upvote 2

fractal    2488

I feel like I've been heading in the right direction the last year.

To be honest, music is entirely subjective. People will argue over certain qualities (even myself, everyone does it; IMNs, tr00, etc), but really, you enjoy what you enjoy. If music were objective, I'm sure that the radio would be filled with bands like Native Construct, or The Dear Hunter, where composition, depth, message, etc, were all weighed, rather than earworms like Taylor Swift that are designed specifically to make money. As long as you have a respect for what you're listening to, and enjoy it, it's good music.

• Upvote 1

+Satchmo    3213

Drake's Views. It's ok. Not amazing, and definitely has some low points. But it felt enjoyable as a whole. like a solid 6.5. It's not a typical Drake album though.

I'll probably listen to it once or twice more from start to finish, but heres some more in depth thoughts.

A lot of the songs on here are jumping genre. He's got this "seasons" "winter to summer back to winter" theme going on here, with like the softer R&B and more reflective/boom bap(?) rap which represents the "Winter". And then the Trap/Bangers and some real colorful Dance Hall tracks to represent the "Summer" and the seasons switch off a few times, so you get a good mix of sounds and things don't stay boring. However, wile the production stays interesting, Drake is pretty inconsistent, one song he's boring then he's making me cringe, then I'm genuinely interested and we just cycle through that. The Dance Hall influences I'm indifferent to, but I do think it's very interesting that Dance Hall is becoming a pop trend with other Dance Hall influenced songs like Lean On, Rihanna's Work etc turning up in top 40 radio and Drake kinda just rides that wave here.

Hated Feel No Ways, Redemption, the best thing about With You's are the background vocals by Jeremih.

9, Weston Road Flow, Views, U With Me?, Summer's Over and Too Good are my favorite tracks. I also really like Controlla as a pop song.  Summer's Over doesn't have Drake on it, and Majid Jordan is an amazing R&B duo, so of course I liked it. Too Good is probably objectively the best song on the album. It's a Dance Hall track about Rihanna and Drake's relationship. It's got a great pop vibe but feels very personal and genuine. 9 is probably my personal favorite track though.

Child's Play infuriated me, the song literally has a line where he complains that the girl thinks he's acting light skinned when the song is about being Captain Save-A-Ho and being "Too nice to do her dirty". Like fucking slit your wrists.

views.jpg

MAAD    101
On 5/1/2016 at 5:00 AM, Satchmo said:

Drake's Views. It's ok. Not amazing, and definitely has some low points. But it felt enjoyable as a whole. like a solid 6.5. It's not a typical Drake album though.

I'll probably listen to it once or twice more from start to finish, but heres some more in depth thoughts.

Reveal hidden contents

views.jpg

I liked the upbeat pop music but that's about it. I can't take the heavy rap tracks seriously. I'm having trouble understanding how summers over is in here when it looks like he had no involvement whatsoever with the song.

+Satchmo    3213
2 hours ago, MAAD said:

I liked the upbeat pop music but that's about it. I can't take the heavy rap tracks seriously. I'm having trouble understanding how summers over is in here when it looks like he had no involvement whatsoever with the song.

regarding Summer's Over, he's essentially slapped random "interludes" from his Ghost Writers on his Albums before, like Wednesday Night Interlude from IYRTITL and Buried Alive Interlude on Take Care.

• Upvote 1

Azzaw    64

Views is probably in my opinion Drake's weakest album. Not saying its bad but it isn't as "trend setting" as his previous stuff to keep a long story short, and thats what I really digged about Drake the most.

cover.jpg

+Satchmo    3213

The most trend setting shit is the Dancehall shit, which seems like he just hopped on that trend very early as opposed to bringing it back. I don''t think it's his weakest (Thank Me Later is, retroactively) but it's a general disappointment unless you went in with incredibly low expectations like I did. everytime I revisit some of the songs I like it less and less, especially after watching his incredibly weak SNL performance.

Every should peep Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of Twin Peaks, the only reason to avoid any of the songs on this album is the last track, if sexual assault triggers you

cover.jpg