rei

You, too, can have an epic gaming PC.

+rei+    35452

Alright. A LOT of people don't play PC games because they think the cost is prohibitive.

This thread is for me to essentially tell you how cheaply you can upgrade your c omputer into one that'll play whatever games you want (be it Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, Crysis, wahtever), and at more or less what performance level. I'll give prices in whatever currency you're from, though I don't have great UK price connections

Also I'm going to plagerize TheTechReport a bit, and show you a budget PC that can easily play games at mid to upper mid settings, generally around/slightly higher than the performance of, say, an Xbox 360

Warning: technobabble ahead.

This is in US Dollars. Also I don't include a copy of Windows, which you may need

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13218/2

This system is just under 600$.

It's using cheaper parts, but they most certainly work beautifully.

Put in perspective, I play Portal on Max Settings.

This computer is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than mine.

It's more than a PS3, given, but that's the thing. it's an entirely new computer. And you can do -anything- with it. You could even dumb it down to an even cheaper build that'd still work well with todays games, but maybe not crysis.

That said, most of you HAVE computers already. I can outline a budget path for EXACTLY what you need, and much more importantly, what'll last a couple years.

As of April 10, 2009, that PC is outdated as fuck, and STILL beats the 360

Oh, and here's how to put that pc together:

like this http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671 guide

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

boxcutter    0

The computer I'm using is roughly eight years old, has a CD burner, 3'1/2, probably doesn't have a graphics card worth mentioning(though I have no doubt it was reasonably good back when it was bought), " sound card ", 19' flatscreen CRT, 40 gig hard-drive, 512 ram. If I want to play the vidya, I mostly just fuck off to a netcafe near where I work.

The projected build for my gaming computer will let me play Crysis on low quality and cost roughly $1200 AUD(last I checked, though it'll be less when I actually buy it ~after christmas). CAN YOU GET IT CHEAPER!?

+rei+    35452

The computer I'm using is roughly eight years old, has a CD burner, 3'1/2, probably doesn't have a graphics card worth mentioning(though I have no doubt it was reasonably good back when it was bought), " sound card ", 19' flatscreen CRT, 40 gig hard-drive, 512 ram. If I want to play the vidya, I mostly just fuck off to a netcafe near where I work.

The projected build for my gaming computer will let me play Crysis on low quality and cost roughly $1200 AUD(last I checked, though it'll be less when I actually buy it ~after christmas). CAN YOU GET IT CHEAPER!?

The build I posted would run Crysis on low, though you'd be better off spending an extra $200 on an 8800GTS and a better Core 2 Duo chip. I don't know exchange rates, but considering that build I posted would do it, I'd say yes.

.Brand Monitor is important? No.

BUT if it's an LCD, for gaming you'll want a refresh rate faster than 7ms.

boxcutter    0

Should I get an Intel dual core or an AMD dual core? The only AMD one I can find in Aus(that seems to be worth buying, at any rate) is roughly 1100, the next closest is about $200.

I mean, what the hell is the difference between:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, dual core, AM2 3.2GHz, and an AMD Athlon 64 FX62, dual core, socket AM2, 2.8GHz, that makes the second worth a thousand more?

http://www.pricespy.com.au/cat_2.html

^^ Searches online retailers in Aus and brings all the prices together, gives you whichever is the lowest. Good tool, IMO.

+rei+    35452

Should I get an Intel dual core or an AMD dual core? The only AMD one I can find in Aus(that seems to be worth buying, at any rate) is roughly 1100, the next closest is about $200.

I mean, what the hell is the difference between:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, dual core, AM2 3.2GHz, and an AMD Athlon 64 FX62, dual core, socket AM2, 2.8GHz, that makes the second worth a thousand more?

http://www.pricespy.com.au/cat_2.html

^^ Searches online retailers in Aus and brings all the prices together, gives you whichever is the lowest. Good tool, IMO.

Right now pretty much every AMD is being outperformed rather badly by Intel. Go intel as much as I hate to say it.

build something for me... im australian and not smart.

gogogo

Budget / needs?

I have NO idea what the australian exchange rate is, nor if this is a good site, but I'm gonna throw something together for about $1000AU with no I/O. If you need a keyboard and mouse I can cut the price down a bit.

Gilgamesh    0

If you want cost, definitely go intel. Their dual and quad cores are cheap and works fine.

I got a Intel Core Duo 6300 (1.88ghz one) with 2gb ram, 300GB hard drive and 2GB of ram with a GeForce 7600GT last year for $2000 (AUD). And that's with Windows XP and new speakers. It runs all the games that are currently out no problem. You should be able to get an intel dual core with 3 or 4gb of ram, good amount of space and a geforce 8800 for under $2000 atm.

+rei+    35452

Gilgamesh you're outright wrong. AMD is much more affordable, but Intel's prices aren't THAT much more expensive, and you get a rediculous performance boost.

And the 7600 will struggle with, say, Crysis.

Trust, it's what I've got in my box. XD

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3722

160 GB hard drive: $145 AUD

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3801

Gigabyte Core2duo/quad compliant motherboard. $139 AUD

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=2290

2GB of DDR2 Ram - $105

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3730

Core 2 Duo E6750 - $245

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?c...products_id=250

Coolermaster Centurian Case with 430 Watt PSU - $107

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=3720

AMD/ATI Radeon HD2900 XT, $529

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3688

Generic DVD Burner - $49

Total:

$1174.

This will run Crysis on somewhere near max settings.

To get it under $1000 you can switch to an 8600GT video card from Nvidia or a slightly slower Core 2 Duo processor, for not too much effect of performance except in the absolute newest games, which will still run at max, just with marginally slower frame rates.

Gilgamesh    0

Really? I was under the impression that Intel's second generation Dual Core Chips were insanely awesome and awesome insanely affordable (don't bother with anything intel before Core Duos since they are absolutely horrible).

And if you love downloading stuff (like me), 160 won't last you very long. My 300 was already gone by the year =/.

boxcutter    0

This will run Crysis on somewhere near max settings.

FUCKING WINDOWS VISTA I HATE YOUR FACE

Nice computer though, as I said, I'll def pick up something very like that in Jan. Thanks.

+rei+    35452

Really? I was under the impression that Intel's second generation Dual Core Chips were insanely awesome and awesome insanely affordable (don't bother with anything intel before Core Duos since they are absolutely horrible).

And if you love downloading stuff (like me), 160 won't last you very long. My 300 was already gone by the year =/.

They're affordable, but AMD is still a lot cheaper.

And you're right about the HD. I'm trying to keep the budget on this tight.

Nice computer though, as I said, I'll def pick up something very like that in Jan. Thanks.

Relevance? Crysis will run on XP.

And vista is surprisngly not as shitty as everyone says.

Gilgamesh    0

I reckon if you're going for a decent PC that will last you awhile that is also not retardedly expensive, you should aim for $2000 spending money (this is AUD btw). Otherwise you'll just be going to the shop to get more ram and a new hard drive.

But remember, if you invest in a good processor and video card, that should last you for a very long time.

boxcutter    0

You need to be running Vista to get some of the effects going according to the dev interviewthing I read yesterday. I'm mainly bitching because I don't want to spend the extra several hundred for a OS I really don't need, for one game.

+rei+    35452

You need to be running Vista to get some of the effects going according to the dev interviewthing I read yesterday. I'm mainly bitching because I don't want to spend the extra several hundred for a OS I really don't need, for one game.

The DX 10 bonuses aren't THAT godly.

And who the fuck upgrades their hard drive for gaming? If you've already got storage it's the last thing you should look to.

Gilga... just... stop posting please. XD

Gilgamesh    0

And who the fuck upgrades their hard drive for gaming? If you've already got storage it's the last thing you should look to.

Gilga... just... stop posting please. XD

I would assume that you'd want to use your PC for things other than gaming since it's a PC after all =/

Whoo    19

well theres one on walmart that has 500 gb harddrive and 3gb ram and a decent dual processor for 800 bucks.

If you can do better than that for the same price, Ill be shocked

+rei+    35452

1: Depends on the dual core processor

2: VIDEO CARD. The one it has probably sucks the shit.

Otherwise ic an do the same easily.

boxcutter    0

Shack: How significant are differences between the DX9 and DX10 versions of the game? Are there any actual gameplay distinctions?

Cevat Yerli: For single-player the difference is only in visual quality, there are no gameplay differences. Visually the imagery has more depth though 3D post processing, looks more cinematic through motion blur systems interacting and surfaces are more crisper in detail and 3D. The lighting and post processing goes through an extended next-generation HDR rendering system.

In multiplayer when you qualify for very-high settings, that is high-end DX10, you will experience tangible gameplay improvements that actually make tactical difference and lets you feel like you play single player in terms of cinematic experience.

:C