rei

You, too, can have an epic gaming PC.

1417 posts in this topic

? there's like 5-10 bucks diff between 16gb kits of ddr3 and ddr4, ill take the performance and lower power for that money 

also scoring a radeon 380x 

im with you on lower power but performance increase is really not noticeable

im living in the past i havent looked at prices in a long time

380x is a sick fucking card how much did you get it for?

no gpu no prollom?

Alright so Ash knows this already but looking to build fairly capable gaming PC (Overwatch/CS/SC2/TF etc on High-Max Settings). Can't imagine I'll be using it for anything else. After talking with Ash, I'm at: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PSK/saved/kGpypg

My only real concern is the PSU at this stage but it's the best I could find as I'm using kmcomputer to source and ship everything. It's working out at €1,104.50 ($1239.25) with shipping which is obviously higher than the expected cost in the build but sourcing the parts separately is working out way more expensive. 

Similarly, going with the 6500 i5 as the 1151 Motherboard is far cheaper than the 1150 options if I choose the 4460 i5, while the DDR4 is actually the same price as the DDR3 I had picked out for the 4460 so it seems like the better choice. 

Also wouldn't mind suggestions on Keyboard and Mouse as I have super limited experience. Monitor was also just selected very quickly so idk about that one. 

Otherwise, is there a significant benefit in this build over the 640 build from a few pages back? I'm thinking that in the long term this is more beneficial and the components should meet the gaming standards for longer?

Thanks

for KB/Mouse, if your budget is large for mouse suggest Logitech's most recent Proteus core mouse or Razer Deathaddersnake or w/e the name is for the Razer mouse atm.  Don't go for the really obscure and hip ones, get the ones literally everyone has, generally you'll get bitten by them in my experience.

If you're scared by how the ones from the big brands look, remember they're designed by experts and all the buttons are there for a reason.  If you think flashing coloured lights are a bit naff, well yes they are but so what they're pretty and colourful.  

For mouse I'd just suggest getting the cheaper keyboard with your choice of MX Keys.  Unless you desperately want flashing lights they are all pretty much the same, build quality is pretty strong for most of the major brands. IMO blues are much more lightly weighted than most people think and are a better choice than browns, but I use 55g Topres.  

Your choices for KB, which I'm a lot more qualified to talk about are basically

#1 The switch.  

#2 Tenkeyless or not Tenkeyless.  Yes numpad or no numpad.  I like no numpad and it has a lot going for it if you never use the numpad ever. 

#3 whether you're going to shell out for custom double shot caps with the absolute most expensive type of plastic known to man under your fingers and the best contrasting dye on the keys.  You probably don't need this if you're under any sort of moderate budget.  

dont buy a fuckin razer

Steelseries and COrsair both make decent stuff, but logitech makes the best mice id say 

wtf do i know though i use an anker vertical mouse

I love my Logitech G602 gaming mouse and it cost like 40 bucks.

I've had the same logitech mouse for 3 years no issues, very nice grip to it. 

Hey Ash,

Looking to throw something together finally.  Budget is pretty much as big as it needs to be (I just came into a fair amount of money) but I'd like to keep it 2500 or less (again not a hard budget and more than willing to budge).  Extras needed are 2 monitors and a decent keyboard (this I'm particularly lost on and would appreciate a good rec).  

I have a few attempts parted out right now but I'm still fairly new to this and just want to see where you end up as opposed to where I did.

Thanks in advance.

Oh god I came as soon as I heard that budget. Give me a sec this'll be quick

@rei Put off buying this til I knew I wouldn't destroy my semester (focus wise) and more 1080s/70s came in stock.  So I tried building one on my own and a few google searches later I realized I was on someone elses exact build.  I basically just want to know how I did/how this compares to the build you suggested if you have the time.

Anything I should be wary of?  Does the price increase even seem remotely worth it or am I just throwing around more money at different brands?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NX7XLD

The list linked is the one someone else ended with (our major differences were brands for RAM, ssd, and case though I like this case more).  I'm guessing I could go with a smaller ssd for the OS and just use a large hdd for storage to bring the price down but I don't know if the gain by not doing so will be worth it.  In all honesty don't really have that much experience with SSD's

looks like a pretty fuckin rocking build

Whats teh price difference between 4x8 and 2x16? And are there any just straight 32 gig ram kits that might save you some cash?

512 SSD is awesome. 

imo if im spending 2k might as well get corsair dominator instead of g skill

that white case does look nice . the inwin cases are on the rise. i like the micro atx cubes.