rei

You, too, can have an epic gaming PC.

+rei+    35374

? there's like 5-10 bucks diff between 16gb kits of ddr3 and ddr4, ill take the performance and lower power for that money 

also scoring a radeon 380x 

Malcolm    4532

im with you on lower power but performance increase is really not noticeable

im living in the past i havent looked at prices in a long time

380x is a sick fucking card how much did you get it for?

+rei+    35374
no gpu no prollom?

»PSK    4148

Alright so Ash knows this already but looking to build fairly capable gaming PC (Overwatch/CS/SC2/TF etc on High-Max Settings). Can't imagine I'll be using it for anything else. After talking with Ash, I'm at: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PSK/saved/kGpypg

My only real concern is the PSU at this stage but it's the best I could find as I'm using kmcomputer to source and ship everything. It's working out at €1,104.50 ($1239.25) with shipping which is obviously higher than the expected cost in the build but sourcing the parts separately is working out way more expensive. 

Similarly, going with the 6500 i5 as the 1151 Motherboard is far cheaper than the 1150 options if I choose the 4460 i5, while the DDR4 is actually the same price as the DDR3 I had picked out for the 4460 so it seems like the better choice. 

Also wouldn't mind suggestions on Keyboard and Mouse as I have super limited experience. Monitor was also just selected very quickly so idk about that one. 

Otherwise, is there a significant benefit in this build over the 640 build from a few pages back? I'm thinking that in the long term this is more beneficial and the components should meet the gaming standards for longer?

Thanks

+Urthor    10206

for KB/Mouse, if your budget is large for mouse suggest Logitech's most recent Proteus core mouse or Razer Deathaddersnake or w/e the name is for the Razer mouse atm.  Don't go for the really obscure and hip ones, get the ones literally everyone has, generally you'll get bitten by them in my experience.

If you're scared by how the ones from the big brands look, remember they're designed by experts and all the buttons are there for a reason.  If you think flashing coloured lights are a bit naff, well yes they are but so what they're pretty and colourful.  

For mouse I'd just suggest getting the cheaper keyboard with your choice of MX Keys.  Unless you desperately want flashing lights they are all pretty much the same, build quality is pretty strong for most of the major brands. IMO blues are much more lightly weighted than most people think and are a better choice than browns, but I use 55g Topres.  

Your choices for KB, which I'm a lot more qualified to talk about are basically

#1 The switch.  

#2 Tenkeyless or not Tenkeyless.  Yes numpad or no numpad.  I like no numpad and it has a lot going for it if you never use the numpad ever. 

#3 whether you're going to shell out for custom double shot caps with the absolute most expensive type of plastic known to man under your fingers and the best contrasting dye on the keys.  You probably don't need this if you're under any sort of moderate budget.  

+rei+    35374

dont buy a fuckin razer

Steelseries and COrsair both make decent stuff, but logitech makes the best mice id say 

+rei+    35374

wtf do i know though i use an anker vertical mouse

Audioslayne    897

Hey Ash,

Looking to throw something together finally.  Budget is pretty much as big as it needs to be (I just came into a fair amount of money) but I'd like to keep it 2500 or less (again not a hard budget and more than willing to budge).  Extras needed are 2 monitors and a decent keyboard (this I'm particularly lost on and would appreciate a good rec).  

I have a few attempts parted out right now but I'm still fairly new to this and just want to see where you end up as opposed to where I did.

Thanks in advance.

+rei+    35374

Oh god I came as soon as I heard that budget. Give me a sec this'll be quick

Audioslayne    897

@rei Put off buying this til I knew I wouldn't destroy my semester (focus wise) and more 1080s/70s came in stock.  So I tried building one on my own and a few google searches later I realized I was on someone elses exact build.  I basically just want to know how I did/how this compares to the build you suggested if you have the time.

Anything I should be wary of?  Does the price increase even seem remotely worth it or am I just throwing around more money at different brands?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NX7XLD

The list linked is the one someone else ended with (our major differences were brands for RAM, ssd, and case though I like this case more).  I'm guessing I could go with a smaller ssd for the OS and just use a large hdd for storage to bring the price down but I don't know if the gain by not doing so will be worth it.  In all honesty don't really have that much experience with SSD's

+rei+    35374

looks like a pretty fuckin rocking build

Whats teh price difference between 4x8 and 2x16? And are there any just straight 32 gig ram kits that might save you some cash?

512 SSD is awesome. 

fake    4857

imo if im spending 2k might as well get corsair dominator instead of g skill

that white case does look nice . the inwin cases are on the rise. i like the micro atx cubes.

Solstice    332

I think it’s about time I started looking for a gaming PC as my laptop has finally gotten to the point where games are lagging even when I play them on minimum settings. For my new PC I would like something where the graphics cards, RAM, etc. are easily replaceable so then I can just update those instead of having to buy a whole new system (main reason why I’m not going for another laptop).   For starters I guess I should give you the specs of the laptop I’m currently using. It’s an hp Pavilion dv7-6b78us Entertainment PC.  

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03091347 

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/661594/HP-Pavilion-dv7-6178us-Laptop-Computer/

I’d like to get something where I’d be able to play the more common MMORPGS, MOBAs, etc. on max settings without lag and possibly meet the minimum requirements for VR; though I would be willing to sacrifice the VR capability to keep the price reasonable.  I mainly want it for playing MOBAs like Tera, Aion, and Revealtion as well as a few other games like Smite.   Everything I’ve looked at myself has ended up in the $999 - $1500 range which is more than I wanted to spend (I paid $769 for my laptop 5 years ago for comparison) so I’m wondering if the new specs I’m looking at are overkill for what I want to do.  

GRAPHICS CARD: I’m fairly certain this is where my biggest issue is and that just about any dedicated graphics card would be an improvement over my current one (Radeon™ HD 6490M switchable graphics).  Unfortunately this is also where I’m having the hardest time deciding what I need.  I’ve been limiting my searches to GPUs that meet minimum VR requirements as I figure that means they should be good for my basic gaming needs for at least a few years.  Unfortunately this also means they are very expensive and that I could probably get away with less for my current needs.  I want to be able to play at constant 60FPS or higher on max settings, I’m just not sure what kind of graphics card I need to do that.  For comparison, with my current graphics card Smite plays at anywhere from 25 to 9FPS on minimum settings, usually hovering in the 15-12 range during team fights.  This is the area where I need the most help with.

PROCESSOR: I currently have an i7 at 2.0 GHz.  I’ve been limiting my searches to an i7 with at least 3.0 GHz, though surprisingly I can apparently play VR with only an i5.  I’m not exactly sure what the AMD equivalent to intel i5 and i7 is.  Do I need an i7 or could I be fine dropping to an i5? How much GHz do I really need?  Also I’ve seen many PCs advertise their processor as being overclocked, which I unfortunately can’t have as that will get me banned from smite (see link):
http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?61854-Overclocking-and-How-it-can-get-you-banned
At least it might end up getting me banned; I’m not tech savvy enough to really understand completely.  Help knowing exactly what to avoid there would be appreciated.  

RAM: I currently have 6 GB.  Based on what research I’ve done most sites have said I’ll want a minimum of 8, preferably 16, and if money isn’t an obstacle to go up to 32.  I’ve been limiting my searches to PCs with 16 GB RAM or more but want to know if going down to 8 would be terrible or if I could compromise at 12 GB without sacrificing too much.

STORAGE: I currently have 750 GB; most sites have told me I’ll want at least 1TB so I’ve been limiting my searches to PCS with 1 TB or more of storage space.  My local disc C says it has a capacity of 681 GB of which I’m using 227 meaning I have 454 GB of free space. Seeing as I’m only currently using a third of my storage space, do I really need a whole TB?  I know having better specs would let me be able to play better games that take up more space, but I wonder if they can really take up that much.  

I basically want to know the minimum graphics card / processor / RAM / whatever else I need and any recommendations for PCs that meet those requirements in my budget.   Or if my budget is too low then how much higher I’d need to go to get there or how much I’d have to sacrifice to stay within range.  I’m happy to look at anything that meets my requirements in my price range.  I know it’s cheaper to buy all the parts and put it together myself, but as I’m not tech savvy I doubt my ability to pull it off.  And if I can’t get it to work I won’t know whether it’s due to my error or a faulty part, or even which part in particular is likely to be faulty. And buying something mostly pre made makes fixing it easier as it generally comes with a few years warranty.  

Thanks for taking the time to read that wall of text, any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  

+rei+    35374

Sorry for the late recommendation

GPU followed by processor followed by RAM are the main impacts to gaming performance

The difference between an i5 and i7 is frequently negligable, you rarely need an i7

Finding the right GPU for your use case and budget is usually a case of reading reviews of whats current - that said the Geforce 1080 is the cream of the crop right now but the 1070 is also very good and considered kind of a sweet spot for VR. - That said VR is super fucking demanding - way more demanding than 1080p gaming - Radeon RX580 might be better for your needs, or Geforce 1060 - both will do what you need at 1080p without any issue at all  - like you do nothing that demanding, except you also want to spec for the most demanding thing ever ;p

processor in your use case is like not super relevant, an i5 @ < 3ghz is fine or pretty much any AMD Ryzen chip

You'll want 16 GB of ram, but the speed isnt that important. DDR4 is the current standard for both Ryzen and any Intel chip starting with 6 or more (like i5-6600) 

Here are some sample builds

http://techreport.com/review/31846/the-tech-report-system-guide-may-2017-edition/10

The "Sweet Spot" rig will run most games (and im talking current AAA titles not just MMOs and Mobas) at max at 1080p with no effort at all. It might be a bit stuttery with VR - though if you take the graphics card from the 'sweeter spot' build you're fine

• Upvote 2

Solstice    332
On 7/14/2017 at 9:48 AM, rei said:

Thanks very much for the informative reply. I've spent some time shopping around based on the info given here in and in other places, and I think I've decided on what I want to get. I'd just like some final input.

The desktop I've decided to look at is the - OMEN by HP Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive - Brushed Aluminum

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759916.p?skuId=5759916#tab=buyingOptions?bof=openbox&ref=199&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&acampID=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-ER6.gqOyid7MptNmKtEQMQ

This is $800 new, or I can get an open box one for $744. The reviews have it as being powerful enough to run most games at max silently (no fan noise) with good FPS while still being easy to upgrade should I decide I need something more powerful later. Some guy in the reviews said he bought an extra 8GB of ram for it for like $50.  It also comes with a mouse and keyboard.

The monitor I'm looking at is the BenQ - ZOWIE RL-series 24" LCD HD Monitor.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/benq-zowie-rl-series-24-lcd-hd-monitor/5514012.p?skuId=5514012&ref=199&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&acampID=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-Wa12rGRJTT.jUBhB.ozksw

1 ms response time, 60 hz refresh rate and comes with internal speakers and can be wall mounted if I don't have enough space on my desk to fit it with the tower. It cost $200 normally, but is currently on sale for $169. 

All in all I could get them both for under $1,000 and have it ready to go. (tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers...not missing anything right?)  Do these look worth the money I'd be paying for them whilst being good enough to do what I want, or is there some glaring flaw I'm overlooking?

And out of curiosity, if I attempted to sell my old laptop on ebay or craigs list or something, what's a fair asking price for it?

Edited by Solstice

Solstice    332

...Not being able to edit posts on this forum is awful.

Found a cheaper monitor of the same brand; 2 ms response time but 76 Hz refresh rate. It's normally $145 but is currently on sale for $119.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/benq-24-led-hd-monitor-glossy-black/2401025.p?skuId=2401025

If the sale runs out I'll probably go with an Asus 23 inch monitor (with built in speakers) 2 ms response time and 75 Hz refresh rate for $135, it's just a matter of choosing between LED or LCD (I don't understand the difference).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-widescreen-led-monitor-black/3706239.p?skuId=3706239

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-widescreen-lcd-monitor-black/2354038.p?skuId=2354038

+rei+    35374

Yeah I don't like the time limit on editing either though I'm immune to it

LED uses less power is the main difference - If you aren't speedrunning higher refresh rate will make things look better and are worth a 2ms response rate (back before LCDs/LEDs started getting so good the rule was first "get 7ms or less" then "get 5ms or less" - suffice to say you'll be fine with 2) you're really not going wrong with any of these options though they're all 1080p and will all look decent for a decent price. 

Zowie sponsered a bunch of starcraft stuff in the last few years so I've got a soft spot for them and if you tweet at them that you bought it because esports hype theyll prob give you a shout out or maybe evne send you some mild swag like a sticker. Plus it shows that investing in esports is building customers - but this is me being political i mean theyre all good options lol 

The PC looks solid and capable, it'll def do what you need and doesnt look like a bad price - my concern is it might have a shitty power supply but if thats the case its an easy replace down the road. 

• Upvote 1

JC.    4608

i am looking to build new PC + get peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, chair). Budget is around 2000, which I think is good unless peripherals like chair are more expensive than I have in my head.

PC: Probably want to play at least Overwatch at max settings on 120+ fps. Needs Windows, Microsoft Office (not the subscription service Office 365)

Mouse: Needs at least good scrollwheel and a 3rd button, but I probably don't need one with a huge number.

Keyboard: Blue switch mechanical keyboard.

Monitor: 1080p 60hz, unless 4k is really that much better.

Chair: I don't know the difference between the padded and ergonomic chairs or what is a good choice for them at all really.

I guess I probably want a mouse pad as well. I could just use a Yugioh playmat for that, right?

Can go either way on flashy buttons and lights. I did see someone that had a color changing rainbow backlit keyboard and computer thought it was amazing.

+rei+    35374

1080p is fine, but for two grand you can absolutely do/justify 4K - two grand gets you a lot of machine. 

Mousepads yeah yugioh mat is fine, this day and age you dont need them unless your desk is an odd surface.

If your computer is going to be on in your bedroom while you sleep don't go stupid with the case.

So basically - do you want me to fit your needs to a cheaper budget because I can probably save you $800 bucks off your budget, or do you want the best setup you can have for two grand? 

Also fuck yeah cherry blues, my favourite Cherry switch (I prefer Topre and buckling springs still but i'm a weirdo... and i have all membrane keyboards because the cherryblue ergo keyboardi bought fucking sucked)

Ergo chairs - all you need is proper back support, adjustable height and adjustable arms - buy something comfortable im not touchin that