rei

You, too, can have an epic gaming PC.

Not going for gaming, but I'd like to get a 2nd opinion here before I go and waste a bunch of money on a suboptimal build. I'm going to be using it as a budget build for machine learning stuff, so the only set-in-stone thing is that I'd like a video card with as much VRAM as possible. I've been told the 1070 is the best card in the price range, but I'm not sure on basically the entire rest of the build, I kinda just threw together whatever was cheapest/compatible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CpNCYr

OD Superman    1122
6 hours ago, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

Not going for gaming, but I'd like to get a 2nd opinion here before I go and waste a bunch of money on a suboptimal build. I'm going to be using it as a budget build for machine learning stuff, so the only set-in-stone thing is that I'd like a video card with as much VRAM as possible. I've been told the 1070 is the best card in the price range, but I'm not sure on basically the entire rest of the build, I kinda just threw together whatever was cheapest/compatible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CpNCYr

Maybe I don't know what you mean by machine learning, but immediately I think if you're doing processor-heavy tasks:

- Why have the focus on the video card at all? Shouldn't you be worried about more CPU power (not GPU power)?

- Why AMD over Intel?
- Depending on what you mean by machine learning, you may want to look at 32GB (or perhaps DDR4) memory. In general, your average home PC would be fine - even if it was a gaming computer, with 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Just saying, I don't know your specific application.

Aside from that, you're going to chalk up the rest of anyone's suggestions to preferences. Like I'd prefer to buy a motherboard that has Wifi/Bluetooth built-in rather than having to use up (and be limited to the speeds of) a USB adapter. I also don't cheap out on my PSUs, nor do I get the bare minimum for whatever system I build, just because I've had experiences in the past where I'd draw more power from my GPU and draw more than the PSU could handle at times. It's like, what, maybe 10 dollars more to go for Gold efficiency, so why not just do that. I also don't know if you're particularly interested in overclocking but looking into a motherboard with a friendly BIOS for overclocking might be a good idea too.

40 minutes ago, OD Superman said:

Maybe I don't know what you mean by machine learning, but immediately I think if you're doing processor-heavy tasks:

- Why have the focus on the video card at all? Shouldn't you be worried about more CPU power (not GPU power)?

- Why AMD over Intel?
- Depending on what you mean by machine learning, you may want to look at 32GB (or perhaps DDR4) memory. In general, your average home PC would be fine - even if it was a gaming computer, with 16GB of DDR3 RAM. Just saying, I don't know your specific application.

Aside from that, you're going to chalk up the rest of anyone's suggestions to preferences. Like I'd prefer to buy a motherboard that has Wifi/Bluetooth built-in rather than having to use up (and be limited to the speeds of) a USB adapter. I also don't cheap out on my PSUs, nor do I get the bare minimum for whatever system I build, just because I've had experiences in the past where I'd draw more power from my GPU and draw more than the PSU could handle at times. It's like, what, maybe 10 dollars more to go for Gold efficiency, so why not just do that. I also don't know if you're particularly interested in overclocking but looking into a motherboard with a friendly BIOS for overclocking might be a good idea too.

Machine Learning (Deep Neural Nets, CNNs, etc.) is almost entirely GPU based nowadays. All the linear algebra libraries do the bulk of their processing in the GPU. 

AMD over Intel wasn't really anything I thought super hard about, and it's certainly not set in stone. The CPU was cheap and looked like it should be good enough to do what I need. 

Similarly to the CPU argument, it's my understanding that the actual RAM is just used for storing data when the dataset is too large to fit in the video card's memory so you don't need to read from disk as often, and I don't plan on working with huge datasets, mostly trying to do RL stuff which generates data on the fly. I can always upgrade the RAM later, I'm only using 2 of the 4 slots and there's a 32 GB max on the board.

I'm not too worried about overclocking, but I had no idea what to go with for the PSU. What would you recommend there?

This is going to be a box, with no monitor/keyboard/mouse attached running a juptyer notebook server. I'm not too concerned about USB slots.

+rei+    34627

the FX-6300 is a five year old processor - AMD is better than intel in the mid-range right now... if you buy a Ryzen chip. Don't buy a five year old power hungry processor though - if you aren't too CPU bound look at intel Core i3s for better power/temp management, or Ryzens in the mid range

GPU wise there are very distinct differences between Nvidia and AMD in terms of machine learning - my understanding is AMD is a bit better but I could be wrong... then again AMD's prices are also spiked right now because of this as they're better for Ethereum mining. Not my department really - and most people doing this dont buy gaming GPUs - be sure to look at workstation class cards from both of them too (FirePro i think is AMDs, Quadro is Nvidias) 

16 gb of ram is exactly what i'd go with, but if you switch to a more modern CPU you'll need DDR4

Seasonic are one of the best PSU makers there is - most major gaming brands are rebranded Seasonics anyway - you're fine; bronze 520 is fine

if it's going to be headless i feel like you could cheap out a bit more on storage - either 64gb ssd or mechanical storage 

So more like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ry3LQV

My understanding is that the absolute best GPU (on the market) for machine learning right now would be a titan XP, but that's a little out of my price range, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody recommend AMD for machine learning due to CUDA performing better/being more supported than OpenCL. I'm not really big on hardware stuff, so all my knowledge on that front comes from reading a few articles. If you think there's something better than the 1070 in the price range I'd love to hear it. From briefly looking into the Quadro cards they all seem to be expensive for the amount of VRAM, the 8GB quadro card looks to be about $300 more expensive with a slower core clock, so I might be missing something here but I'm not sure where the benefit is there. Why are gaming cards a bad idea? I just threw the cheapest 1070 on pcpartpicker into the build. 

I shouldn't be CPU bound, but it's a $30 difference for the ryzen which looks to me to be a significantly better chip than something like an i3-6100? Am I just misinterpreting the specs of the chips?

When did RAM get so expensive? x.x When I built a box like 8 years ago it was one of the cheapest parts of the build. 

+rei+    34627

CUDA's fine, 1070 is great, go for it unless you can afford a 1080

Ryzen is better at multithreaded workloads, i3 is better clock per clock for single threaded ones - not sure your use case, but I'd generally like the expandibility of being able to do better SMP later if you want to fuck with it.

+rei+    34627

build looks good but the CPU comes with a heatsink you dont really need an aftermarket one

Swapped over to an i3. The 1080 was only $50 more on newegg than the 1070 so I upgraded there. Went down to a 450W psu because that looks like it should be plenty of power. Thanks for the help. Build ended up around $980 after shipping/sales tax. 

+rei+    34627

and i mean you got a pretty good gaming rig there too... ; ) 

I guess the "my computer is a potato" excuse will have to become, "my good computer is running Linux and doesn't have a monitor."

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34627

set up steam on it and use it to stream to your potato machnine