Sign in to follow this  
a L p H a B e T

Do you believe time travel is possible?

Hats    2
It's impossible imo.

We have no hold over time itself.

It's an unstoppable force.

If you call a day "The amount of time it takes for the earth to rotate on it's axis" the first step would be building a machine to stop the earth from rotating to, in essence, "stop time" then have it rotate in the opposite direction.

Who knows what would happen if that actually did occur.

I don't think we should try to find out, because what's going to stop the machine from working if we're all just doing everything we did in reverse order.

And even if you did get the earth going in the opposite direction, is the time it takes for that to happen the past, present, or future?

my head hurts.

So if I said "day" was equal to the socially constructed time units that pased while a basketball rotated 360 degrees, then time would reverse if I rotated the basketball in the opposite direction?

Anyway, time isn't a force. Time as society says it is doesn't even exist. For time to exist, it would have to be a count function that increments with every event. The only thing that increases at a constant rate would be entropy. So you could say, increment count variable every time entropy increases by x amount. Essentially, entropy would dictate time and nothing else. Since entropy cannot be reversed and progresses constantly, time is cannot be reversed and progresses constantly. The future and past do not exist.

If you were to say ""day" was equal to the socially constructed time units that pased while a basketball rotated 360 degrees" you would be wrong.

We as a global community have already constructed what a day is.

Anyways. It was just a theory, Superman blah blah blah...

Didn't get your second statement much, though.

»Starwind    1777
The only thing that increases at a constant rate would be entropy. So you could say, increment count variable every time entropy increases by x amount. Essentially, entropy would dictate time and nothing else. Since entropy cannot be reversed and progresses constantly, time is cannot be reversed and progresses constantly. The future and past do not exist.

How does time not increase at a constant rate? Using everything you just said, I could say that point A (measured by overall entropy) occurs earlier than point B (again, measured by overall entropy), which would mean that time increases with entropy.

Because you have to base time on something unless you can prove it exists independantly.

»Starwind    1777
It's impossible imo.

If you call a day "The amount of time it takes for the earth to rotate on it's axis" the first step would be building a machine to stop the earth from rotating to, in essence, "stop time" then have it rotate in the opposite direction.

I don't think we should try to find out, because what's going to stop the machine from working if we're all just doing everything we did in reverse order.

And even if you did get the earth going in the opposite direction, is the time it takes for that to happen the past, present, or future?

my head hurts.

So if I said "day" was equal to the socially constructed time units that pased while a basketball rotated 360 degrees, then time would reverse if I rotated the basketball in the opposite direction?

Anyway, time isn't a force. Time as society says it is doesn't even exist. For time to exist, it would have to be a count function that increments with every event. The only thing that increases at a constant rate would be entropy. So you could say, increment count variable every time entropy increases by x amount. Essentially, entropy would dictate time and nothing else. Since entropy cannot be reversed and progresses constantly, time is cannot be reversed and progresses constantly. The future and past do not exist.

If you were to say ""day" was equal to the socially constructed time units that pased while a basketball rotated 360 degrees" you would be wrong.

Which is my point. Time is a social construct. If the rotation of the Earth was reversed, nothing would happen.

Hats    2
It's impossible imo.

my head hurts.

Which is my point. Time is a social construct. If the rotation of the Earth was reversed, nothing would happen.

Uh, looks like someone's never seen superman...

Hollywood    0

The second is equal to the duration of 9,192,631,770 cycles of radiation in a transition, or energy level change, of the cesium atom.

It has been shown that to Travel back in time (without using a wormhole), you would need a negative energy density, that is an energy less than that of empty space. Although possible on a microscopic scale, the only situations that it could occur in in a macro scale are where spacetime is curved to the extent that humans cannot survive it. (event boundary of a black hole, etc....)

Wormhole travel is the only way for humans, and that's only if large womholes can be stabilised. Since wormholes are chaotically unstable, they cannot be controlled without violation of the uncertainty principle, or by transmitting information faster than light.

All the methods that could exist violate one or more of the fundamental laws of physics, so without a huge revolution in the laws of physics themselves (E8, anyone?), it's not happening.

Royale    0

well if it is possible we wont be doing it anytime soon since alot of people/scientists have deemed it impossible and have given up...

(200th post lol :DD)

As others have said, Time isn't a dimension that can be traveled through.

And others have also been wrong. We ARE travelling throught time, just only in one direction, and only at one speed (probably...)

Think of it like a motorway. We're going one way, and sometimes you would really like to be going the other...we just don't know how to get to the other side of the motorway.

We are not traveling through time at all. If anything, we're progressing with time. But really, time is an arbitrary numerical representation of chronology. It's not even real. You cannot traverse a motorway that does not exist.

We are not traveling through time at all. If anything, we're progressing with time. But really, time is an arbitrary numerical representation of chronology. It's not even real. You cannot traverse a motorway that does not exist.

Hm...Ever heard of General Relativity?

Time is a dimension, similar to the 3 spatial dimensions we can see, it doesn't travel itself (though it can be warped my gravity), but other things can travel through it, and do. (You want evidence, look at the relativity equations, which include one to measure the rate at which you percieve time passing for you (the velocity in the time-dimension), compared to the rate at which another observer sees you passing through time. ) You can't progress with time, because time itself isn't a fixed flow.

True, it doesn't exist as an entity of itself, but then again..neither do the 3 spatial dimensions. The motorway was a metaphor...perhaps it sucked, but it wasn't intended to accurately portray reality.

Bazzy    1
As others have said, Time isn't a dimension that can be traveled through.

And others have also been wrong. We ARE travelling throught time, just only in one direction, and only at one speed (probably...)

Think of it like a motorway. We're going one way, and sometimes you would really like to be going the other...we just don't know how to get to the other side of the motorway.

what about ghost riders?

Cash Mooney    0

If any of you have heard of the Philadelphia experiment, then you should know that this could be very possible to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment

And if any of you have heard of Stephen Hawking then you should know that his book, "A Brief History of Time" explains things having to do with time travel, black holes, and other very interesting project's.

If not, his wiki explains a lot about him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

^^ Universe in a nutshell is better, he goes into a bit greater depth (the first 2-4 chapters are a brief history of time, but he extends it to 6 chapters, by adding more material.