Sign in to follow this  
rei

What should my first car be

+rei+    34352

k, im gonna need a car for myself in september

Basically, i need it to drive an hour every day to and from college, thats it. I don't need a 'pimp ride' though I'm spoiled as fuck driving everywhere in my parents BMW

also I live in ontario and insurance is FUCKING PRICY.

what shoud i buy, like, how much should i spend etc? I dont make much money [like $1000 a month + if i get another job that]

KeashiaKid    1

Chevrolet Cavalier

it good on gas and insurance for it is cheap

and u can find used one for cheap

+rei+    34352

Did you just reccomend a north american car to me?

BiPi    1031

1000/month? wtf do you do? lol when i was working 2 jobs, i only made around 1200 a month (well, including taxes).

blueD    147

lol i know this is coming from an asian

but yeh..get a honda....it redic cheap on gas and i'm pretty sure insurance isn't a bitch.

+rei+    34352
1000/month? wtf do you do? lol when i was working 2 jobs, i only made around 1200 a month (well, including taxes).

Server technician at scratch telecom, $11/h, 18h a week

Model    864

Get a Civic. If you're looking for something that's good on gas mileage and it doesn't take a lot to keep them in running condition then that's probably the best choice. You could find one used with decent mileage and with no heavy repairs being needed for around 2 grand. Also, the insurance isn't too high if you get an accord because it's looked at as a sedan because you can get a four door. Coupe is two, which is considered a sports car.

95-97 Honda Civic/Accord.

+rei+    34352

yea thats what i'll probably get.

So here's another question

Manual or auto? I can drive both, but dont know much about costs - like, a clutch is prob gonna die more easily than an autotrany, but auto is gonna be a lot more expensive to fix

Cosmic    89

I drive a honda civic. miles by the gallon is AMAZING...Standard in general sell for more BUT when it comes to civics its more pricey than an auto. imo go manual not many things go wrong with a manual, plus its quite fun to drive. Gets you from point A to point B alot faster than an auto.

Model    864

Easier Maintenance for manual, also you get more mpg if you don't get down on the car

ecko    25

So you make $792 a month before taxes?

+rei+    34352

So you make $792 a month before taxes?

depends on how the month is layed out cos i work friday and saturday, and thats after tax. I also have no expenses.

Model    864
Get a turbo'd DSM. Good gas milage and they're as fast as you want them to be.

That's what I got.

+rei+    34352

Ah

They dont have those up here.

Also insurance would prob be a bitch

[insurance on a 94 civic for me is $300/m]

Honkey Kong    11

If you want cheap insurance, then the cheapest car to drive apparantly is a 4 door sedan between 1989 and 2002, and a neutral color like white, gray, blue,or green.

Apparently, Insurance companies jack insurance for cars that are..( someone told me this)

1. black or red(red because its considered a "racing color", and black because its hard to see at night)

2. 2 door(classfied as a sport's car)

3.older then 20 years old(because its considered a classic car then)

4.brand new(because of it's worth)

Yeah, I know. Insurance companies will find any excuse to squeeze more money out of you. My brother bought a cavalier Z22. Thew insurance was insuring it as a regular cavalier, but when they found out it was a Z22, they raised his insurance by 40$ per month.

+rei+    34352

Yea, it's brutal. Insurance on a 94 civic for me would be fairly north of $300, and thats for a junker

Honkey Kong    11
Yea, it's brutal. Insurance on a 94 civic for me would be fairly north of $300, and thats for a junker

Then again, the insurance company considers a civic as a sports car. Believe me, they did the same thing when my older brother had his lincoln. It was considered a luxury car, so the insurance was in the 200$ range, in spite of it's age. If it was newer, I wouldn't have doubted it would have been closer to 300.

I'm only paying like 120$/month for my crown vic, and that is without the driver training for this particular province. If i took my driver's ed in alberta, then it would be closer to the 100$ range, maybe lower.