victor

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

+rei+    34769

there'd be less public discussion 

+rei+    34769

just watched the first epi of granblem, love the score so much 

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2051

ive finished ep 2 of vinland saga and not impressed so far. getting slight ned stark vibes from the dad being a mega honorable retard but everyone else has taken a back seat in terms of being a character which sucks. 

HououinKyouma    818
On 8/9/2019 at 0:48 PM, Francis J Underwood said:

Wasn't impressed by either enn enn or granblem but I'll at least give them three eps. Also still not hot on KnY even after ep19? I think KnY is amazing and it's adapting all of the "worst" parts of the manga this season haha.

8 minutes ago, HououinKyouma said:

Wasn't impressed by either enn enn or granblem but I'll at least give them three eps. Also still not hot on KnY even after ep19? I think KnY is amazing and it's adapting all of the "worst" parts of the manga this season haha.

Eh. There's really no depth to it. I get its shounen, but there is just nothing interesting about it to me. I think the big issue (and this is an issue with almost all shounen manga) is that the universe initially sets up rules, and then decides to fuck the rules, we want to make money. The last few fights of KnY have just shown a blatant disregard for elevating writing. 

Enn Enn with a practice fight has already shown higher quality writing and respect for its universe's rules in a practice fight than KnY. I won't spoil it, but it will be evident when you see it. Those are the things I look for and appreciate. 

HououinKyouma    818
On 8/13/2019 at 11:09 PM, Francis J Underwood said:

Eh. There's really no depth to it. I get its shounen, but there is just nothing interesting about it to me. I think the big issue (and this is an issue with almost all shounen manga) is that the universe initially sets up rules, and then decides to fuck the rules, we want to make money. The last few fights of KnY have just shown a blatant disregard for elevating writing. 

Solid disagree on KnY breaking established universe rules, and honestly even though I personally I don't really care about having perfect power scaling I think KnY is an example of really great power scaling. Discuss this series with some of my shounen loving friends and they agree on this. I think Gotouge lays out the rules pretty clearly within her universe.

Demons

-They can be killed either by sunlight or by cutting the necks by a blade using special ores bathed in sunlight. Every demon that has been shown so far follows these rules pretty clearly. The demon Tanjirou meets before Urokodaki is killed by sunlight, Fodder exam demons, Hand Demon, Swamp demon, Arrow&Kemari Demon, Drum Demon&Other house demons, Spider mom, Spider bro, and Spider Father were all killed via Nichirin blade. All dissolve into ash when they are defeated/die.

Demon Creation

-Created via Muzan. Notable exceptions is Yuushiro who is created by Tamayo, is implied so far to have been the only success after hundreds of years. Going too much into this reaches spoiler territory.

Muzan's Curse

Tamayo has been shown to have broken this, but again this is the only example shown.

Swords techniques

-They don't summon actual elements, all elements shown are just metaphoric representations of the sword moves they perform. Utilizing special breathing techniques allows people to reach superhuman territory, but again they are still limited by injuries, Zen is slowed by his poison, Ino by snapped neck, Tanj in drum demon arc by previous injuries.

Heightened Senses

-Again this isn't limited to Tanj's ability of sense. Urokodaki is implied to have similar heightened smell. Zen has heightened hearing. Ino is implied to also have heightened senses, as seen by his sensing of the mountain being "warped" also by one of his techniques allowing him to scout out an enemy. This is probably the most "shounen-y" trope, but compared to others I think this is fairly tame, Tanj, Ino, Zen, etc are able to survive the trial due to heightened senses, as most of their fellow trial members die.

Tanj's growth (only including confirmed kills, aka they dissolve into ash)

Hands Demon

-First real demon he faces is hand demon who has eaten 80ish ppl. Tanj went through 2 years of training from Urokodaki and was the only Urokodaki disciple to be able to slice the "hardest" boulder. I think Hands demon is a believable win for Tanj.

Swamp Demon

-Tanj+Nezuko defeats this one, not much to say about him, probably weaker than hands demon who Tanj soloed.

Kemari&Arrow Demon

-These are not quite lower moon level, but are significantly boosted by receiving Muzan's blood prior to confronting Tanj and Tamayo. He's able to barely beat these guys only with the help of Tamayo, implied to be a strong ex-demon, only one able to break Muzans curse+created only non-Muzan demon, Yuushiro and Nezuko. Gains a lot of experience and knowledge of demons via Tamayo.

Drum Demon

-Probably equal to or barely below Kemari&Arrow demon, can't eat regular people and is demoted out of lower moons. Tanj is able to beat this one with wounds, probably the biggest stretch, but the demon is significantly weakened by his inability to eat non special blood ppl, and this battle just highlights Tanj's ability to think on his feet during battles.

Mom Spider

-Pretty weak probs just above Hand demon, def nowhere near Drum and Arrow/Kemari. Not much to be said here really.

Dad Spider

-Tanj+Ino are unable to beat him, Giyuu (pillar level) slices him up easy. Probs strongest demon Tanj&co have faced so far and that's a big L for them.

Life Flashes before their eyes

-The author loves utilizing flashbacks to tell her story, def works better in manga than anime, but I think the director has done a passable job in lowering the usage of these. Tanj, Ino, and Zen all experience this during their fights, as these are the hardest opps they have faced so far. Only successful person so far has been Zen (as Rui hasn't ashed yet so no confirmed kill there), but he was pushed to his utmost upper limits, and currently is probably the strongest of the trio. If a former pillar tells him that he has gone through a hellish training regiment, then you can take him at face value. Ino had to get his ass saved by Giyuu who's a pillar v Spiderdad and suffered severe injuries. Tanj is in a similar boat and is pushed to his utmost limits v Rui and had to get his ass saved by Nezuko awakening a blood art.

Demons - Sure. They all die via sword or sunlight. The only contradiction here is some demons do not need humans to survive which seems rather convenient. My guess is that will get explained at some point, but right now its shaky. 

Demon Creation -  I don't really care about this right now as it will get explained later. The point is that there is an underlying rule. 

Sword Techniques - I would have bought that theory until the last episode. Tanjiro talks about a down side to switching elements, which no one else has done or has been said to do. Power scaling bs aside, this is a rule break. You know more about the manga than idea, but last week's episode made pretty clear that the above theory does not hold water (no pun intended). 

Gone back to naruto for the first time in about 5 years. 

Fuck me do they realise how much it breaks the immersion by cutting to a flashback 50 times per flashback? 

Literally just skipped more episodes than I've watched since ep 400 or so. Currently on 462/500.

HououinKyouma    818
4 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Hide contents

Demons - Sure. They all die via sword or sunlight. The only contradiction here is some demons do not need humans to survive which seems rather convenient. My guess is that will get explained at some point, but right now its shaky. 

Demon Creation -  I don't really care about this right now as it will get explained later. The point is that there is an underlying rule. 

Sword Techniques - I would have bought that theory until the last episode. Tanjiro talks about a down side to switching elements, which no one else has done or has been said to do. Power scaling bs aside, this is a rule break. You know more about the manga than idea, but last week's episode made pretty clear that the above theory does not hold water (no pun intended). 

ep20 spoilers in my answer

On Eating People

-The most important thing is that they get human blood. As of now the only demon that doesn't have to get blood is Nezuko and as of now it seems her resting somehow is able to counter this. They make a big deal about her being somehow special. Again she's a main character and a major reason for why everything is happening so I give this one a pass. Tamayo and Yuushiro are able to get by buying blood from people, and Drum Demon still can eat people but at that point it was implied he hit a wall of sorts and now can only eat people with "rare blood." They say it equals 50~100 ppl so I think it's safe to say that eating 1 rare blood person can keep him going. Hands demon ate ~50 ppl in the Wisteria prison and lived 47 years, so I think it's safe to assume that Drum Demon can be sustained for 50ish years by eating 1 rare blood individual. Also it's been established more ppl eaten=stronger demon, which I think contributes to the fact that Drum Demon is weak as hell when Tanj encounters him.

Sword Techniques

-Yea this one can get kinda confusing because of ep19, but Nezuko's blood demon ritual causes literal fire, and Dance of the Fire Gods does not. Basically the element solely refers to a sword style, and each sword style is shaped after the natural properties of the element it's named after. Water is a strong style because of the flexibility. Within the 10 water techniques are like a toolbox, having techniques for something even as niche as when a demon offers to be slain. Lightning is based on speed. We've only seen 1 of 6, since Zen can only use 1 but even a slightly altered first emphasizes speed. Inosuke's are sorta special since he self-taught, but again nothing is out of the ordinary except for the tracking style he used, and that can be explained by his implied heightened senses.

In terms of switching from water to dance, and the drawbacks of it, it mostly has to do with how the changes Tanj has to make in his breathing. The breathing from what I understand basically is able to give large amounts of oxygen to certain areas of the bodies, and swapping between different schools of breathing forces the body to alter where the oxygen goes. This is why Tanj faces the consequences of doing his father's dance instead of completing the water style attack. The flashback of his father's dance allows him to make the connection that the breathing techniques passed down in his family is similar to that of the breathing sword styles of the demon hunters. It's why they make that whole show of Tanj being the oldest son in Drum Demon fight because oldest son carries on the families tradition, that's def a Japanese culture thing as well.

It's basically just easier to understand them as diff schools of martial arts ie water is karate while thunder is kickboxing or w.e.

29 minutes ago, HououinKyouma said:

ep20 spoilers in my answer

Hide contents

On Eating People

-The most important thing is that they get human blood. As of now the only demon that doesn't have to get blood is Nezuko and as of now it seems her resting somehow is able to counter this. They make a big deal about her being somehow special. Again she's a main character and a major reason for why everything is happening so I give this one a pass. Tamayo and Yuushiro are able to get by buying blood from people, and Drum Demon still can eat people but at that point it was implied he hit a wall of sorts and now can only eat people with "rare blood." They say it equals 50~100 ppl so I think it's safe to say that eating 1 rare blood person can keep him going. Hands demon ate ~50 ppl in the Wisteria prison and lived 47 years, so I think it's safe to assume that Drum Demon can be sustained for 50ish years by eating 1 rare blood individual. Also it's been established more ppl eaten=stronger demon, which I think contributes to the fact that Drum Demon is weak as hell when Tanj encounters him.

Sword Techniques

-Yea this one can get kinda confusing because of ep19, but Nezuko's blood demon ritual causes literal fire, and Dance of the Fire Gods does not. Basically the element solely refers to a sword style, and each sword style is shaped after the natural properties of the element it's named after. Water is a strong style because of the flexibility. Within the 10 water techniques are like a toolbox, having techniques for something even as niche as when a demon offers to be slain. Lightning is based on speed. We've only seen 1 of 6, since Zen can only use 1 but even a slightly altered first emphasizes speed. Inosuke's are sorta special since he self-taught, but again nothing is out of the ordinary except for the tracking style he used, and that can be explained by his implied heightened senses.

In terms of switching from water to dance, and the drawbacks of it, it mostly has to do with how the changes Tanj has to make in his breathing. The breathing from what I understand basically is able to give large amounts of oxygen to certain areas of the bodies, and swapping between different schools of breathing forces the body to alter where the oxygen goes. This is why Tanj faces the consequences of doing his father's dance instead of completing the water style attack. The flashback of his father's dance allows him to make the connection that the breathing techniques passed down in his family is similar to that of the breathing sword styles of the demon hunters. It's why they make that whole show of Tanj being the oldest son in Drum Demon fight because oldest son carries on the families tradition, that's def a Japanese culture thing as well.

It's basically just easier to understand them as diff schools of martial arts ie water is karate while thunder is kickboxing or w.e.

Sword Technique - Whether you classify it as a breathing technique or fighting technique, the established rule was each swordsman gets one element. The fact that a flashback gets written in to give Tanjiro access to a complete different technique is a rule break. To really hammer it home, Tanjiro had to train intensely to master ten of the different techniques for the water style, but apparently mastered a high level fire style technique just from watching it or training in it as a kid. To me that is just bad writing. 

Despite your calling the water style a 'toolbox', it doesn't really function like one, There is really no significant difference between any of the techniques as they all effectively do the same thing. It feels more like window dressing. Compare that to Zenitsu who is infinitely more interesting because has only one technique and has to employ it in different ways to accomplish a variety of tasks. That operates within the rules of the universe so to speak. Likewise, all of the demons are more interesting than Tanjiro because they have one special skill that they have honed to accomplish a variety of goals so when they accomplish the goal, it is perfectly congruent with their ability (using the spider web to lop off your own head and reconnect it later for example). 

+rei+    34769

Tejina senpai / magical sempai is if kaguya sama had half the charm, a third of the budget, and fifty times the ecchi. 

12 hours ago, rei said:

Tejina senpai / magical sempai is if kaguya sama had half the charm, a third of the budget, and fifty times the ecchi. 

So basically you'd rather re-watch Kaguya? (which is still my front runner for AoTY) 

+rei+    34769

I'd watch either but I'd put neither anywhere near AOTY. Admittedly Kaguya was hurt by the writer literally saying that there's never gonna be much progression even 150 chapters in so that just makes it feel totally worthless in the long run; while magical senpai is more 'looney tunes' in that it just straight doesnt matter that its not going anywhere 

+rei+    34769

actually it could be aoty because nothing good came out this year obv

+Malcolm    4646

attack on titan season 3 part 2 was out this year

easily wins aoty

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34769

ive seen some count it as one season and thus a 2018 series 

12 hours ago, rei said:

actually it could be aoty because nothing good came out this year obv

Disagree. Kaguya, Promised Neverland, Sarazanmai, Carole and Tuesday, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Fire Force, Gran Belm all were pretty good. 

I agree there is no masterpiece that has separated itself from the pack tho

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

attack on titan season 3 part 2 was out this year

easily wins aoty

I'll keep saying it. Continuing series should not qualify for AoTY discussion

+rei+    34769

I really need to get on to Promised Neverland, but I signed up for funimation yesterday so i'm eyeing old stuff i've been meaning to watch like Steinsgate

> reality ensues

> watches 5 Episodes of How Heavy are the Dumbells You Lift

>_>

HououinKyouma    818

For me aoty has to be either Run with the Wind or Kemurikusa.

I guess Run with the Wind slightly edges Kemurikusa, but the way Kemurikusa has allowed tatsuki to announce that he is an auteur level creative and that Kemono Friends wasn't just a fluke helps Kemurikusa a bit. Sure his cg models may not be for everyone, but everything around them, the backgrounds, shot composition, etc is all top notch. Not to mention Kemurikusa is an original story that is actually really compelling and interesting as opposed to most anime originals. I never would've believed that cg animation would've ever been able to elicit the emotions in me that it did, and I think that's just a credit to tatsuki's crafting of his characters.

As for Run with the Wind, it just goes to show that you can't forget about Production I.G. as one of the few studios that truly cares and believes that anime is art, and not just a medium to sell pvc figues, br, and miscellaneous merch to otakus. The entire production is top notch, and the way the story gets you to truly buy into all of the cast and legitimately gets you to root for them to reach Hakone, even though you know deep down that this is a sports anime and they'll make it, just shows how Run with the Wind is able to be more than just a generic sports anime. The beats the show hits are pretty standard, but the characters and their motivations are what I think truly allows this show to shine.

+rei+    34769

I gotta say 7 episods into dumbbells and the wrist injury was brutal, but I'm ok now 

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2019 at 5:55 PM, HououinKyouma said:

For me aoty has to be either Run with the Wind or Kemurikusa.

I guess Run with the Wind slightly edges Kemurikusa, but the way Kemurikusa has allowed tatsuki to announce that he is an auteur level creative and that Kemono Friends wasn't just a fluke helps Kemurikusa a bit. Sure his cg models may not be for everyone, but everything around them, the backgrounds, shot composition, etc is all top notch. Not to mention Kemurikusa is an original story that is actually really compelling and interesting as opposed to most anime originals. I never would've believed that cg animation would've ever been able to elicit the emotions in me that it did, and I think that's just a credit to tatsuki's crafting of his characters.

As for Run with the Wind, it just goes to show that you can't forget about Production I.G. as one of the few studios that truly cares and believes that anime is art, and not just a medium to sell pvc figues, br, and miscellaneous merch to otakus. The entire production is top notch, and the way the story gets you to truly buy into all of the cast and legitimately gets you to root for them to reach Hakone, even though you know deep down that this is a sports anime and they'll make it, just shows how Run with the Wind is able to be more than just a generic sports anime. The beats the show hits are pretty standard, but the characters and their motivations are what I think truly allows this show to shine.

I tried really hard to watch Kemurikusa, but it was just sooooooooooooooooooo offputting and annoying. I couldn't bear the male lead. 

HououinKyouma    818
On 8/31/2019 at 5:30 PM, Francis J Underwood said:

I tried really hard to watch Kemurikusa, but it was just sooooooooooooooooooo offputting and annoying. I couldn't bear the male lead. 

I personally didn't find Wakaba that bad, but I know a lot of people couldn't stand him. I think he gets better as the show gets going.

Also I've been going through stuff from this decade and working on my list of the best stuff from the 10s and wow did 2015 suck. 2019 is probably 2nd worst year though.