victor

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

HououinKyouma    808
On 3/30/2018 at 3:09 PM, Aaron said:

gintama ended for this season.

back to being depressed with how shit anime is. 

that's how i felt for a long time. then ssr came out. there's still hope for the medium. 

N e J i    902

A little skeptical about starting with Gintama. I'm not a big fun of meta humor which I understand is a big component of the anime. Hope there's more to it.

»Tygo    14119

I keep wanting to start Gintama but I'm having trouble getting into it. I know it's spoiler-rific but I might have to watch some of the fight scenes to get me pumped enough to blast through. Worked for One Piece and Ippo so who knows.

N e J i    902

Same for me with One Piece, though its length is a huge deterrent.

+rei+    34654

there has been good anime every year get your head out of your ass ; ) 

Aaron    2027

Gintama is just insanely good. The show grows and grows and gets better constantly and offers quality and an experience no other anime does.

One Piece is best-in-class shounen up until post-time skip when it now has really questionable pacing. 

Haruki    9174

black clover

+rei+    34654

Just pagedowning through wikipedia pages on each year seeing what stands out

2018:

Darling in the Franxx

Violet Evergarden

Devilman Crybaby

2017: 

Eromanga Sensei (A modern masterpiece!)

Blend S (Admittedly a super guilty pleasure)

Ancient Magus Bride

2016: 

Konosuba

My Hero Academia

Re:Zero

Mob Psycho 100

Yuri on Fujo Bait 

Kimi no Na Wa

2015:

One Punch Man

2014: 

Knights of Sidonia

Space Dandy

plus new jojos a few times 

• Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    808

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Aria
Minami-ke
Hidamari Sketch
Spice and Wolf
Natsume Yuujinchou
Toradora
Clannad AS
Toaru

Zoku Natsume
Railgun
Kimi ni Todoke
Kuuchuu Buranko
K-on
Haruhi
Bakemonogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

toaru 2
panty & stocking
durarara
sora no woto
katanagatari
hidamari sketch
angel beats
kon 2
tatami galaxy
shiki
seitokai yakuindomo
amagami

fate/zero
chihayafuru
working 2
kyoukaisenjou no horizon
madoka
kore wa zombie
kimi no todoke 2
steinsgate
anohana
nichijou
hanasaku iroha
yuru yuri

nisemonogatari
danshi koukousei
kill me baby
natsume
hyouka
fate/zero 2
sakamichi no apollon
kore wa 2
tsuritama
jinrui
yuru yuri 2
horizon 2
moyashimon 2
psychopass
shin sekai yori

chihayafuru
minamike
railgun 2
uchoten kazoku
monogatari 2
kill la kill

seitokai 2
ping pong
mushishi 2
gekkan shoujo
barakamon
hanamonogatari/tsukimonogatari
shingeki no bahamut
shigatsu
shirobako
gugure kokkuri san

Personally I think it peaked around 11~12 where every season had a good variety of shows. "Taste" is such a subjective buzzword so it's so hard to find a "peak," but I think variety of shows and having a lot of hits within a lot of different genres show that 11/12 was the peak. After 11/12 it seemed like every studio started chasing AoT/LL, so it either fell into pandering to the idol otaku or psychological/action. I feel like sol sorta has sorta dried up because of it. It's all cyclical anyway, everyone was chasing Eva and then Haruhi then Kon etc so hopefully we get to a point where there's a lot of diversity in the yearly offerings and maybe some studios will start chasing original material again. I think Darling in Franxx was hot garbage, but I give Trigger and A1 a lot of credit for trying something that's not tied to some ip/sequel to something. For how many misses I feel Trigger has, they definitely swing for the fences and I give them credit for putting out anime original content.

Aaron    2027

2016 was also really strong. However the number of masterpieces has drastically decreased. 

Something like my hero academia would be MUCH more highly rated if it wasn't split into seasons. Similarly with attack on titan. 

I fear we'll never see another anime like Monster sadly. 

Haruki    9174
14 hours ago, rei said:

+rei+    34654

have you watched Devilman Crybaby aaron? 

16 hours ago, rei said:

Just pagedowning through wikipedia pages on each year seeing what stands out

2018:

Darling in the Franxx

Violet Evergarden

Devilman Crybaby

2017: 

Eromanga Sensei (A modern masterpiece!)

Blend S (Admittedly a super guilty pleasure)

Ancient Magus Bride

2016: 

Konosuba

My Hero Academia

Re:Zero

Mob Psycho 100

Yuri on Fujo Bait 

Kimi no Na Wa

2015:

One Punch Man

2014: 

Knights of Sidonia

Space Dandy

Eh not a fan of jojos 

Darling in the Franxx - havent seen it

Violet Evergarden - Saw it on netflix. Was really impressed at how well done it was. 

Devilman Crybaby - Saw this on netflix as well. Was alright but nothing special. Not even saying this as a taste preference thing

i havent seen any of the ones you mentioned for 2017 so i can't comment. Surprised Fate Apocrypha isn't in there tho. 

Konosuba - havent' seen it 

My Hero Academia - Not a fan. Admittedly a taste preferance

Re:Zero - haven't seen

Mob Psycho 100 - Again taste preference, but im not a fan of these its so bad its good anime. 

Yuri on Fujo Bait - haven't seen it

Kimi no Na Wa - haven't seen it

OPM - same as mob psycho but like psycho it was a fun watch. 

knights of sidonia - mixed feelings on this one. Started out well, but end of it was eh

Space dandy - haven't seen. 

+rei+    34654

Devilman is more a stylistic and an influence thing - the story itself shaped shonen for decades  and its nice to have it back in a crazy good style for a new gen

Fate kinda sucks, but of the three i listed two are basically troll picks, Ancient Magus Bridge is outstanding though. 

funny you point out MHA and Mob 100 as theyre both shows that aren't my thing but I'd consider solid series. 

(Yuri on Fujo Bait is actually Yuri on Ice fwiw just meming) 

Konosuba is great, and gets better in its more recent season. Don't write it off as just another Isekai (virtual/parallel fantasy world shit) - same goes for Re:Zero. 

Konosuba is Isekai if it was a legitimately funny tale with non-shit characters, Re:Zero is Isekai where suffering is plot. 

1 hour ago, rei said:

Devilman is more a stylistic and an influence thing - the story itself shaped shonen for decades  and its nice to have it back in a crazy good style for a new gen

Fate kinda sucks, but of the three i listed two are basically troll picks, Ancient Magus Bridge is outstanding though. 

funny you point out MHA and Mob 100 as theyre both shows that aren't my thing but I'd consider solid series. 

(Yuri on Fujo Bait is actually Yuri on Ice fwiw just meming) 

Konosuba is great, and gets better in its more recent season. Don't write it off as just another Isekai (virtual/parallel fantasy world shit) - same goes for Re:Zero. 

Konosuba is Isekai if it was a legitimately funny tale with non-shit characters, Re:Zero is Isekai where suffering is plot. 

yeah i get devilman's a revive and its definitely a nice modern take on it, but i feel like it gets way too much credit for the shock value of its initial episodes. i feel like the more it tried to spin a plot for itself the worse it did. 

i'll look in Magus

i enjoyed mob, but like i said its just kind of a good watch for when you need something mind numbing. Not anything over the top. i point them because they are popular so im probably in the minority. 

Aaron    2027
7 hours ago, rei said:

have you watched Devilman Crybaby aaron? 

nope will check it out. 

re:zero was AMAZING. Sadly another show which is produced season by season which makes it feel a lot less epic. 

+rei+    34654

almost every show is produced season by season even back in the day - their more limited by their source material - the big change is 24-26 epi seasons used to be a lot more common than 12-13 epi ones

I mean you mentioned Monster but that might be the only series i can think of that wasn't really segmented. Even the original 50epi fma was broken into seasons but its release / renew schedule let it keep flowing 

19 hours ago, rei said:

almost every show is produced season by season even back in the day - their more limited by their source material - the big change is 24-26 epi seasons used to be a lot more common than 12-13 epi ones

I mean you mentioned Monster but that might be the only series i can think of that wasn't really segmented. Even the original 50epi fma was broken into seasons but its release / renew schedule let it keep flowing 

Co-signing this.

Also monster is great to binge watch, but i cant imagine how it would be on a week by week basis (better than season by season but still). Monster is the exception

Aaron    2027

I'm currently watching nanatsu s02 and its pacing is top-class. 

It basically skips all the filler bullshit and puts you right into the thick of it. Season 2 seems better than 1. The only blemish and reason I kind of disliked season 1 was the last ending boss fight which made every character apart from Meliodas redundant [which was totally against the show otherwise]. 

Posted (edited)

Currently watching 

Boku no hero academia season 3 

Steins; Gate 0 

Anything else I should be watching from either this season or last?

Edited by Francis J Underwood

+rei+    34654

Franxxxxxxx

Aaron    2027
11 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Currently watching 

Boku no hero academia season 3 

Steins; Gate 0 

Anything else I should be watching from either this season or last?

I'm about to start Violet evergarden.

I just finished Nantasu no tazai s02... it was excellent but the ending is a bit weak. Definitely nearing top-tier shounen quality although it lacks that bit of consequence and the power scaling is ridiculous at this point. Its concentration on the main character being strong has actually left 50% of the main deadly sins useless. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, rei said:

Franxxxxxxx

10 episodes in . and you can really see the Trigger influence (so much fanservice). Really enjoy that it actually makes use of an outro to end each episode. 

10 hours ago, Aaron said:

I'm about to start Violet evergarden.

I just finished Nantasu no tazai s02... it was excellent but the ending is a bit weak. Definitely nearing top-tier shounen quality although it lacks that bit of consequence and the power scaling is ridiculous at this point. Its concentration on the main character being strong has actually left 50% of the main deadly sins useless. 

Violet Evergarden is underrated. Did not think I'd like it as much as I did. 

May watch 7 deadly sins just to catch up/finish it since i already watched the first season, but I wasn't overly impressed with the initial season.

Edited by Francis J Underwood