victor

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

+rei+    34661
On 2018-11-19 at 6:49 AM, HououinKyouma said:

gridman is dope

but why is it SSSS Gridman?

anyway I am watching like five things i'm finally back to my weeb roots, now seeking A-cup gamer girl.

Goblin Slayer

How I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai

Love, Chunibyo, and other Delusions

Persona 4 The Animation

+rei+    34661

im gonna start gridman when i have time 

HououinKyouma    809
On 11/29/2018 at 2:21 PM, rei said:

im gonna start gridman when i have time 

with gridman trigger finally seems to have remembered that you can tell a story visually. it's super dope. i think the show has a lot of potential.

[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_00.43_[2018.11.30_17.18.25].jpg

• Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    809

gonna call my shot gridman is aoty and it's not close. this last episode was amazing. easily one of the best episodes of anime i have seen it what seems like forever.

12 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

gonna call my shot gridman is aoty and it's not close. this last episode was amazing. easily one of the best episodes of anime i have seen it what seems like forever.

I will watch it, but have you seen A Place Further than the Universe. I have a hard time finding that anything will top that. 

HououinKyouma    809
16 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

I will watch it, but have you seen A Place Further than the Universe. I have a hard time finding that anything will top that. 

Short answer: yes it's better than sora yori.

Although it's really difficult to compare Sora yori and gridman since they are both such different shows, I truly believe that Gridman will end up being the better show. I really enjoyed Sora yori and it definitely was one of the best shows of 2018, but I felt like it definitely got oversold to me by a few of my friends. I think if I just naturally picked it up and followed along I would have gotten a lot more enjoyment out of the show because there's nothing better than a show exceeding your expectations. I love SnB Genesis a lot more because of how much it exceeded my expectations for it, but it's extremely difficult to meet expectations when everyone you talked with hyped it up so much.

It was an extremely solid anime melodrama and it even managed to not have a love story as a b plot which is an absolute rarity in the world of televised anime. The script was super lean and the pacing was superb. All of the girls got to have nice arcs and everything that was brought up plot wise was dealt with in a natural and fluid way. It feels like absolutely forever since there has been a quality anime melodrama made as well as Sora yori.

Even though animation style was slightly different from the norm, however I think my biggest problems with Sora Yori was the fact that visually Madhouse took 0 chances visually on the show. That's why I love Gridman so damn much. The story is great and the direction is superb. Amemiya is flexing his damn muscles with his first big directing gig. From what I understand Amemiya even storyboarded the best episode of Gridman to date, the 9th one, and his visual style is amazing and made the emotional impact of the latest episode even greater. As a whole the shots in Gridman are absolutely gorgeous. It feels like Amemiya has really thought out why things are drawn the way they are and that each scene is visually designed as a way to aid the story. The damn bus scenes in Gridman evoke the train scenes from Eva. In fact, I feel like Gridman is the best portrayal of loneliness since Eva. Overall I have high hopes for Gridman and with just a handful of episodes left I have faith that things will continue in the same direction.

+rei+    34661
On 2018-12-02 at 11:44 PM, HououinKyouma said:

I take it you aren't dreaming of a bunnygirl senpai.

... i need to double check what actually came out this year. And I will watch Gridman. I want to go full deep with my weeb side

+rei+    34661

I think my aoty is honestly Devilman Crybaby

of the other shows i really liked this year two are basically joke isekais (How NOT to Be a Konosuba Ripoff with a Hotter Loli, How To Be a Perverted Slime With No Penis), Berserk-lite (Goblin SLayer) and one has started strong but has a title no one can take seriously and still has a fair bit of 'can fuck this up' potential (Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl-senpai) 

+Urthor    10227

It better be Kyouma!

On 12/4/2018 at 5:13 AM, HououinKyouma said:

Short answer: yes it's better than sora yori.

Although it's really difficult to compare Sora yori and gridman since they are both such different shows, I truly believe that Gridman will end up being the better show. I really enjoyed Sora yori and it definitely was one of the best shows of 2018, but I felt like it definitely got oversold to me by a few of my friends. I think if I just naturally picked it up and followed along I would have gotten a lot more enjoyment out of the show because there's nothing better than a show exceeding your expectations. I love SnB Genesis a lot more because of how much it exceeded my expectations for it, but it's extremely difficult to meet expectations when everyone you talked with hyped it up so much.

It was an extremely solid anime melodrama and it even managed to not have a love story as a b plot which is an absolute rarity in the world of televised anime. The script was super lean and the pacing was superb. All of the girls got to have nice arcs and everything that was brought up plot wise was dealt with in a natural and fluid way. It feels like absolutely forever since there has been a quality anime melodrama made as well as Sora yori.

Even though animation style was slightly different from the norm, however I think my biggest problems with Sora Yori was the fact that visually Madhouse took 0 chances visually on the show. That's why I love Gridman so damn much. The story is great and the direction is superb. Amemiya is flexing his damn muscles with his first big directing gig. From what I understand Amemiya even storyboarded the best episode of Gridman to date, the 9th one, and his visual style is amazing and made the emotional impact of the latest episode even greater. As a whole the shots in Gridman are absolutely gorgeous. It feels like Amemiya has really thought out why things are drawn the way they are and that each scene is visually designed as a way to aid the story. The damn bus scenes in Gridman evoke the train scenes from Eva. In fact, I feel like Gridman is the best portrayal of loneliness since Eva. Overall I have high hopes for Gridman and with just a handful of episodes left I have faith that things will continue in the same direction.

Yeah I gotta veto Gridman for AoTY 2018 since it came out in like 1995.

All jokes aside, I'm amazed I remember Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad and how a few of the episodes of Gridman are pretty much re-booted from that show (including original scenes and sounds). Like if we are talking about taking chances, that has to be a cut against it. 

Anyway, I am sure this was intended to be a re-boot or alternative adapt (yes I realize the original source material was japanese) to some degree, but I don't see anything insanely special about the visuals or story as of yet (granted im three episodes in) 

Edited by Francis J Underwood

Haruki    12628

rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai is the best anime of the year

• Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    809
6 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Yeah I gotta veto Gridman for AoTY 2018 since it came out in like 1995.

Reveal hidden contents

Ye, Amemiya pays homage to a lot of mech shows. The amount of homage this show pays to Eva is great.

These are some shots I enjoyed from eps1-3

[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_00.45_[2018.12.27_21.49.34].jpg[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 02 [720p].mkv_snapshot_05.01_[2018.12.27_21.51.37].jpg[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 02 [720p].mkv_snapshot_05.37_[2018.12.27_21.52.20].jpg[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_10.47_[2018.12.27_21.58.33].jpg[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 02 [720p].mkv_snapshot_05.57_[2018.12.27_21.52.41].jpg

+rei+    34661
17 hours ago, Haruki said:

rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai is the best anime of the year

it's that or crybaby 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

Ye, Amemiya pays homage to a lot of mech shows. The amount of homage this show pays to Eva is great.

These are some shots I enjoyed from eps1-3

Reveal hidden contents

Alright, I finished it and honestly, I think we are just looking at two very different ends of the spectrum. Spoiler tagging just to be safe, but I don't think I give anything away in anything more than a super general sense. 

A Place Further Than The Universe really puts the bulk of its efforts into building a world and telling a story. This was not an anime, I thought I would be championing as AOTY, when I first read the plot and watched the first few episodes. That is just a testament to how good of a job it does at world-building and executing a coherent a logical story. Further, A Place Further Than The Universe leaves you feeling like every plot line was sufficiently fleshed out and resolved. That isn't to say its anywhere near perfect, but a viewer isn't left wanting more.  While I agree Madhouse didn't take as many chances visually, I can't really say there was an opportunity or a need to. A Place Further than the Universe is a story about a normal girl with a ho-hum life going on an extraordinary adventure. I think the relative lack of stunning visuals keeps with that theme. 

Conversely, SSSS Gridman has a story to tell, but it is almost secondary to how it tells the story. The best way I can describe it is "IDK WTF just happened but it was cool."  LIke you said, it has the stunning visuals that we have come to love from Trigger, but I think two areas where it drives me insane is (1) Pacing and (2) Lack of End Game. You got from kajuu of the week to Oh Shit There Was A Plot and We Have To Execute It. The final episode is really telling in regards to both of those issues given the massive info dump and ass pull required to wrap up the main storyline. That being said, a Trigger/Gainax ending requiring a little thought is nothing new for the studio. Overall, it does tell a story and the ending does give you enough to feel like most of the plot lines were resolved even if underdeveloped. Unlike in A Place Further Than The Universe, the stunning visuals are supposed to convey the sense that the setting of this story is not reality.

Overall, SSSS Gridman was good, but I feel like it's something that you have to sort of look back at retroactively (or have prior knowledge of the source material) to make sense of it and really appreciation everything that it does accomplish. That being said, A Place Further Than The Universe is so well executed that I just can't put Gridman over it. It's closer than I thought it would be, but A Place Further Than The Universe still outdoes it for me pretty significantly.

HououinKyouma    809
On 12/28/2018 at 0:32 PM, Francis J Underwood said:

Alright, I finished it and honestly, I think we are just looking at two very different ends of the spectrum. Spoiler tagging just to be safe, but I don't think I give anything away in anything more than a super general sense. 

Reveal hidden contents

Just got back from Tokyo, so I finally have time to answer this and honestly I thought about Yorimoi and Gridman a lot.

edit:idk what happened but my spoiler tags got fucked up, the spoiled image at bottom should go somewhere in the middle, but I think it's still ez enough to follow.

I definitely have thought a lot about the two shows and often ask myself if I am underrating Yorimoi because of how subtle the storytelling is. Gridman is extremely flashy there's absolutely no doubt about it, and you're 100% right that there's really no need for flashy visuals in Yorimoi, in fact Madhouse does a lot under the paremeters of the story. But I think what Amemiya does visually to tell the story is masterpiece level.

The plot of Gridman is largely irrelevant. I feel like a lot of people, and by people I mean the average /a/non in Gridman threads was disappointed with how little of the world Amemiya revealed to us. But stuff like what/why/who Alexis is, how Akane got to the world, etc etc are completely uninteresting to me. At its heart Gridman is a story about loneliness. Specifically Akane's loneliness, and how isolating oneself in a fantasy world is extremely toxic to one's mental health. I think a lot of people believed that ssss was Yutaman's story, but it isn't and the fact that Yuta is Gridman solidified that fact. At the beginning of the show we see Akane perched above the school like the god she is, overlooking "her" world. The final shot is Akane's "awakening." How often do televised anime series do something like that. Off the top of my head, two of my favorite televised plot driven anime do this. Steins and Dennou Coil, both masterpieces in their own right. How Amamiya visually shows us Akane's loneliness was fucking astonishing to me.

Amemiya gives us the shot of Akane laughing in the rain after Anti "kills" Yutaman. Later in one of the series best episodes, the dream episode, Amemiya gives us this shot.

That shot is as perfect a shot as I have ever seen in a televised anime series. It manages to perfectly sum up Akane's emotional state at the time. It contrasts with the closeup of Akane laughing in the rain. The previous shot is during daytime and the shot is bright as hell. This shot is a medium shot that is dark gloomy and Akane's head is literally chopped off by the frame. Amemiya pulls the viewers away from Akane making her loneliness palpable. In fact the shot is eerie as hell, it's like Akane is about to hang herself. It's made even more perfect by that fact that Akane tries to kill herself and fails. Akane is weak. This shot and the entire scene is close to fucking perfect.

Also in the same ep Amemiya gave us this shot.

[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 09 [720p].mkv_snapshot_14.31_[2018.12.10_14.10.23].jpg

This is the moment where Yuta awakens from his dream after seeing Tonkawa's grave. The kanji for river (川) acts as a river of tears on Yuta's face after he remembers the fact that Akane has used her kaiju to erase people from her world. Like god damn. This is peak animation direction.

Yes the ending was rushed. But in the end Amemiya did everything that needed to be done to complete Akane's arc. Add in the knockout OST and you have an anime that should be remembered for generations. Maybe I'm underrating Yorimoi a little, but there didn't need to be a lot of mumbo jumbo plot garbo in Gridman. Amemiya did his damn best to convey his message visually and I think he fucking succeeded. If anything this show is Amemiya's arrival. He's shown what he can do with a budget and he's 2/2 in my book, as he also did the spectacular Inferno Cop.

[HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 09 [720p].mkv_snapshot_20.59_[2018.12.10_14.10.47].jpg

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

gridman is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wouldn't go that far. I think @HououinKyouma is spot on in that its visuals are excellent and the way it tells its story is phenomenal. The problem is just there isn't much of a story to tell. 

I just finished Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senapi. Thoughts below

DAISUKE MAI. I WANT SEE YOU IN YOUR BUNNY SUIT ONE MORE TIME! DAISUKE! DAISUKE! DAISUKE!

GDI everything I wrote got deleted. FML

Edited by Francis J Underwood

HououinKyouma    809

I think my biggest point is that gridman is Akane’s story and in telling her story amemiya succeeded completely. Akane Has a great fucking arc. Amemiya made her a sympathetic chara and redeemed her in a believable way.

+rei+    34661

haven't seen what's coming tbh i should prob get on that. I'll be continuing my descent into isekai trash with more that time i got reincarnated as a slime

7 hours ago, rei said:

haven't seen what's coming tbh i should prob get on that. I'll be continuing my descent into isekai trash with more that time i got reincarnated as a slime

Ive heard good things but man do i hate issekai