victor

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 9:16 AM, rei said:

Mothers Basement is a fuckin hack who can't make a coherent point if his life depended on it

Really Gigguk and his GF Sydsnap are the only anitubers i have any patience for 

YOUR GOD ACKNOWLEDGED IT. 

Both of them 

Edited by Francis J Underwood
  • Upvote 1

+rei+    34769
11 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

YOUR GOD ACKNOWLEDGED IT. 

Both of them 

Added to queue

I'm now in a holding pattern cos im gonna watch something with denis and need him to pick a series 

+rei+    34769

man denis and his bf haven't seen much anything they pick is prob gonna be watched more slowly than what i watch on my own so.. ;p 

Haruki    12647

boogiepop wa warawanai (2019) ended

so good

Aaron    2051

finished neverland. its in my top 10.

its definitely flawed, pacing is a bit over the place at times but it has something really special about it. 

episode 6 has one of the most impactful anime scenes of all time for me. and the last episode was also one of my favorite if not my favorite most emotional ending to a season ever which left my heart all over the place. 

17 hours ago, Haruki said:

boogiepop wa warawanai (2019) ended

so good

Gonna try to watch this in its entirety

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

finished neverland. its in my top 10.

its definitely flawed, pacing is a bit over the place at times but it has something really special about it. 

episode 6 has one of the most impactful anime scenes of all time for me. and the last episode was also one of my favorite if not my favorite most emotional ending to a season ever which left my heart all over the place. 

Finished it as well. Agree with the pacing comment. My thoughts below

Given where season 1 ended, I evaluate it as an opening act or prologue. Accordingly, the goal of this season should be just to hook you into wanting more and on balance I think that was accomplished

The biggest flaw imo was the pacing and it really hurts the series. A LOT happens in 12 episodes, but the pacing fails to make it feel that way. Instead things just feel rushed, jammed in, and in there for the sake of creating a twist when it is not designed to be written that way. I feel like this was a season designed to be told in 24 episodes and only approved for 12. It is a shame in that department. 

The premises overall (genius kids escape a death farm run by much smarter adults and patrolled by aliens to survive in the outside world) strains credulity. What makes series like this work are a suspension of disbelief that is established right from the series' start. In other words, the universe has clear rules and the characters accomplish goals working within these rules. This isn't really present. Both Mom and Sister have tremendous advantages over the children and the children's ability to escape seems implausible (i.e. Ray getting tools to help escape despite Mom knowing of that motivation) . . . until the last episode where we get an explanation that sort of deals with those issues (and it is a good one). For the same reasons, the twists also feel implausible. 

Aaron    2051
34 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Gonna try to watch this in its entirety

Finished it as well. Agree with the pacing comment. My thoughts below

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah its definitely a prologue. I actually think in regards to plausability, it did fine. I could tell there were lots of seemingly implausible plot points which ended up being very plausible. 

My favorite was Ray's whole plan to commit suicide. It was actually really in character for him. He'd gone through so much torment watching his loved ones leave whilst being a double agent for a mother who was willing and ready to throw him to the demons... But similarly, the show did clearly tell us Norman is a true genius. And therefore Norman saw through that and was able to predict everything pretty much perfectly. 

I think the pacing was probably so uncomfortable for people because SO much does happen in 12 episodes. They could have easily spread this out over 16-24 episodes but I respect the fact they didn't. 

It is definitely a prologue though. The escape is just the beginning of something much bigger, but they can only work with the content which they have.

The mum's character development in the last episode was mindblowing for me. She was a grade A cunt but my interpretation was... well she was just unlucky. She was evidently a genius like the big 3, but the difference is she only had herself to depend on. She figured out so much as a child, went through so much heart ache and loss, but sadly that cliff was something she couldn't overcome. Even the big 3 alone couldn't overcome this, and only had to be sacrificed.. it actuall required every single child to help and aid the escape. Anyway, she evidently then just gave up and gave in to the fact this world is a shitty place she must be apart of to survive. 

When she waved them away like a real mother would, I honestly felt it came from a genuine place. And then Phil (the 4 year old genius) was greeted by her, I could tell that he could tell something has changed within her. Its as if shes realised there might be a light and hope for these kids.. sadly she just wasn't able to find it when she was in their position. 

The fact this anime has made me think THIS much about one single character outlines just how incredible it is compared to a lot of other animes which get a lot more hype. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with this generally. I don't think it's the best anime this season or in my top 3 frankly. 

Best new anime of this season is Rising of the Shield Hero imo. Love is war is a really close second, but the last few episodes got away from what made it great imo while shield hero has been consistently good throughout. 

Best Anime Overall this season is still probably Rising of the Shield Hero, but Mob Psycho is a close second. Overall, Mob's  lack of an overarching plot to keep intrigue is what gives Shield Hero the edge for me. 

Aaron    2051
1 hour ago, Francis J Underwood said:

I agree with this generally. I don't think it's the best anime this season or in my top 3 frankly. 

Best new anime of this season is Rising of the Shield Hero imo. Love is war is a really close second, but the last few episodes got away from what made it great imo while shield hero has been consistently good throughout. 

Best Anime Overall this season is still probably Rising of the Shield Hero, but Mob Psycho is a close second. Overall, the lack of an overarching plot to keep intrigue is what gives Shield Hero the edge for me. 

I'll watch Rising of the Shield Hero next and get back to you.

For me, Neverland will be really hard to beat. I think if people bum shit like Code Geass and Death Note, Neverland is easily leagues above in regards to plausability within their own fairy tail constraints. 

+rei+    34769

alright do i start kaguya or maid in abyss

13 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I'll watch Rising of the Shield Hero next and get back to you.

For me, Neverland will be really hard to beat. I think if people bum shit like Code Geass and Death Note, Neverland is easily leagues above in regards to plausability within their own fairy tail constraints. 

See this is where people get confused. Plausibility does not refer to real life, it refers to plausibility in the universe that is constructed for the show. 

Death Note had very specific rules for how the death note could be used and both Light and L operated within those rules in playing out the series. Those rules were never really broken or disregarded (they were strained at times), but not disregarded. Code Geass was the same deal and got ripped on whenever those rules were broken or pushed too far. 

Neverland's problem was with the construction of these rules to begin with. It is established that the Mom's are former children who underwent all the same education they did, plus special training. Mom's superiority is pretty well established (as was Sister's). The kids were pretty outclassed both physically and mentally to the point where Mom was aware of their plans from the very start. 

Without the ending explanation, there really is no reason why the kids were able to learn about the trackers, get the necessary materials, and even escape in the first place. The fact that the Mom was Ray's mother being put at the end imo undermines its world-building and the rules of the universe and makes it look like an ass-pull explanation tie up.

To me, this would have worked better if they used it as an advantage the kids had to begin with (the end establishes that both the mom and Ray were aware Ray was the mom's kid). That adds a level of plausibility for how they were able to trick the mom. It also would explain why they were taught things that could help them escape and give the mom a different level of depth to her character (but potentially undermine her evil nature as an individual).  

Aaron    2051
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

See this is where people get confused. Plausibility does not refer to real life, it refers to plausibility in the universe that is constructed for the show. 

Death Note had very specific rules for how the death note could be used and both Light and L operated within those rules in playing out the series. Those rules were never really broken or disregarded (they were strained at times), but not disregarded. Code Geass was the same deal and got ripped on whenever those rules were broken or pushed too far. 

Reveal hidden contents

I found Death Note and Code Geass required me to take many many leaps of faith as characters would commonly do retarded ass actions which would safeguard the main characters. 

I didn't see that in Neverland all that often. 

I can't help but disagree. I much preferred Neverland's form of storytelling (aka not spoon feeding the entire plot, piece by piece). I always felt for the entire series there was something deeper going on with Mom, and the pay off at the end was amazing. 

Edited by Aaron

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I found Death Note and Code Geass required me to take many many leaps of faith as characters would commonly do retarded ass actions which would safeguard the main characters. 

I didn't see that in Neverland all that often. 

Yeah every show has a degree of plot armor and we bash them when that plot armor does not operate within the confines of plausibility for that universe. 

Neverland's problem imo was that there were no rules established for it universe and to remedy that and for the sake of creating an additional twist, the writers left that plot armor for the end. I am not saying Neverland is bad, but I still don't have a clear picture of the world it is trying to build. 

Aaron    2051
Just now, Francis J Underwood said:

Yeah every show has a degree of plot armor and we bash them when that plot armor does not operate within the confines of plausibility for that universe. 

Neverland's problem imo was that there were no rules established for it universe and to remedy that and for the sake of creating an additional twist, the writers left that plot armor for the end. 

The plot armour in those shows is beyond retarded. Neverland never leans on that as much at all. 

I think the rules were quite simple to be honest. All Neverland did not reveal is each characters sets of abilities in detail.. which was good as we got to see them develop. If they'd just spoonfed us Mom's character or Norman's ridiculous genius from the first second, it would have been so predictable. 

But even then, it did lay out the important facts and it was up to us to think and deduce everything. I never saw a plot twist in Neverland and thought "shit thats random af".. I was always like "fuck i should have noticed that" 

Just now, Aaron said:

The plot armour in those shows is beyond retarded. Neverland never leans on that as much at all. 

I think the rules were quite simple to be honest. All Neverland did not reveal is each characters sets of abilities in detail.. which was good as we got to see them develop. If they'd just spoonfed us Mom's character or Norman's ridiculous genius from the first second, it would have been so predictable. 

But even then, it did lay out the important facts and it was up to us to think and deduce everything. I never saw a plot twist in Neverland and thought "shit thats random af".. I was always like "fuck i should have noticed that" 

Look I am not getting into plot armor vs world building. Frankly, it's two separate issues that occasionally overlap. 

To illustrate the difference, I'll pose a question: What were the rules for the Neverland universe? I really can't figure them out because they never established any (again not saying there were not rules, but they were kept intentionally vague to allow flexibility). 

For Death Note: 

The rules were the rules governing the use of the Death Note. A name and a face are necessary to kill for Light. Conversely, the detectives could only make decisions based on known information. 

Ex) Light could not kill the FBI agents he did not know in Japan. To do so, he got the name of one FBI agent who knew all the agents and used the Death Note on him in a plausible way. 

Ex) L deduced that Kira was in Japan because the first reported anomalous heart attack was from a criminal whose name and face was aired in Kanto Japan (local crime). Likewise, L choosing the name Ryuuzaki was both an ingenious guard against Kira because Kira needed a name and face to kill and the name Ryuuzaki would invoke the mental image of the celebrity idol. 

Aaron    2051
Just now, Francis J Underwood said:

Look I am not getting into plot armor vs world building. Frankly, it's two separate issues that occasionally overlap. 

To illustrate the difference, I'll pose a question: What were the rules for the Neverland universe? I really can't figure them out because they never established any (again not saying there were not rules, but they were kept intentionally vague to allow flexibility). 

For Death Note: 

Hide contents

The rules were the rules governing the use of the Death Note. A name and a face are necessary to kill for Light. Conversely, the detectives could only make decisions based on known information. 

Ex) Light could not kill the FBI agents he did not know in Japan. To do so, he got the name of one FBI agent who knew all the agents and used the Death Note on him in a plausible way. 

Ex) L deduced that Kira was in Japan because the first reported anomalous heart attack was from a criminal whose name and face was aired in Kanto Japan (local crime). Likewise, L choosing the name Ryuuzaki was both an ingenious guard against Kira because Kira needed a name and face to kill and the name Ryuuzaki would invoke the mental image of the celebrity idol. 

I mean the show clearly tells us:

1. The big 3 are geniuses (Norman > Ray > Emma) 

2. Mom is a genius

3. The big 3 are neccesary live sacrifices 

4. They are locked in a farm-like circumstance 

5. They can gather basic materials and Ray has had TWELVE YEARS to do so for the device remover thing 

6. The other kids are no where near the big 3, and therefore Mum will take less notice of them

7. Krone is a retard 

The key reveals 

1. Ray being a double agent

2. Norman being smarter and being able to completely predict Ray 

3. Mom being a semi-good person with reasoning behind what she does 

4. The kids being informed early on by Emma 

5. Ray's plan to kill himself

Were all really well foreshadowed. Ray was always way too clever for his own good from the first episode. He always was in the background pulling strings. 

Norman was stated to be smarter, Ray said he was smarter.. Ray was right. The show told us early on how good Norman is.. and he was. Norman also had that heart to heart with Ray (I think episode 4) where he really learns much of what he had to know. 

Mom being a semi-good person was always evident. She was loving, she was always there for the kids. Her being Ray's mom was hardly an ass-pull, they didn't let it dictate the story at all. It was more for me just a little knife in the heart for her and Ray; and how difficult it must have been. Even when she confronted the kids about the truth by the wall, she said I really do love you, please just live a peaceful life until the end. etc. etc. 

Emma after the Don/Gilda fiasco, was ALWAYS going to tell the other kids. 

Ray's plan to kill himself again falls in line with his character IMO. You could tell her was so fucked up. 

Aaron    2051
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

For Death Note: 

Reveal hidden contents

I don't see any rules or boundaries which were broken to make this an issue for Neverland. 

Neverland's whole storytelling concept is based on an ever-developing and expanding plot and world. It wasn't kept intentionally vague to allow flexibility, it was clearly the storytelling mechanism. If anything, they put walls infront of the kids to make it HARDER for them. 

Its quite hard to put into place concrete rules when the plot literally advances from:

1. Children happy in an orphange 

to 

2. Children trapped on a farm 

to 

3. Children trapped in a plant surrounded by demons

to 

4. Children trapped in a plant surrounded by demons on one side and a cliff on the other 

Still I felt the rules were quite clear. Its not like any of the children did anything out of the ordinary from their base-line characters. 

The rules were quite simple for me. You had three genius level children versus one genius level adult who could track their every move and call in back up.  Calling in sister Krone was probably Mom's biggest mistake. The rules were the big 3 couldn't be killed, they had to be eaten at a specific date. The Mom, shrouded in a fair bit of mystery, always seemed to be humouring their schemes, knowing it would be futile (due to the cliff she already knew about). The kids had the edge, in that they couldn't be killed by Mom. However the kids never properly ever contemplated killing Mom because a) they thought it would call in the demons) but also b) its quite clear, they still have feelings for her. 

Given the story is told from the children's perspective also made this method of storytelling far more effective for myself. 

Every character had clear strengths and weaknesses too. They even made Phil's convienant butting in actually plausible by revealing he was probably the next Norman. Ray's clear weakness was his lack of faith in the other kids. Emma clearly didn't have the brains of Norman but she wasn't a dumbass. And Norman cared for Emma far too much. But together they were just about a match for Mom with Don and Gilda helping out. 

If you could list a few circumstances where you felt the rules were broken in this show.... or how its such a huge issue.. i'd be interested to hear. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34769

Every time I've come back to death note i appreciate it more because it's so consistant at the little stuff you overlook it. I started thinking it was over hyped trash and now its the anime i show to every girl i date 

if im not exhausted at the end of this hockey game ill start kaguya tonight, otherwise tomorrow. m excited 

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2051
Just now, rei said:

Every time I've come back to death note i appreciate it more because it's so consistant at the little stuff you overlook it. I started thinking it was over hyped trash and now its the anime i show to every girl i date 

if im not exhausted at the end of this hockey game ill start kaguya tonight, otherwise tomorrow. m excited 

Idk. The more I watch it, the more simple I think it is. There are lots of moments where I feel like people are just nerfed on an intellectual level to make Light survive. I remember when Light tells the woman who's husband died who he really is... such an unnecessary stupid risk. Then when you add in that the second half of the show is actually shit, I just can't help but not think its not hyped given other shows are far more consistent. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Hide contents

I mean the show clearly tells us:

1. The big 3 are geniuses (Norman > Ray > Emma) 

2. Mom is a genius

3. The big 3 are neccesary live sacrifices 

4. They are locked in a farm-like circumstance 

5. They can gather basic materials and Ray has had TWELVE YEARS to do so for the device remover thing 

6. The other kids are no where near the big 3, and therefore Mum will take less notice of them

7. Krone is a retard 

The key reveals 

1. Ray being a double agent

2. Norman being smarter and being able to completely predict Ray 

3. Mom being a semi-good person with reasoning behind what she does 

4. The kids being informed early on by Emma 

5. Ray's plan to kill himself

Were all really well foreshadowed. Ray was always way too clever for his own good from the first episode. He always was in the background pulling strings. 

Norman was stated to be smarter, Ray said he was smarter.. Ray was right. The show told us early on how good Norman is.. and he was. Norman also had that heart to heart with Ray (I think episode 4) where he really learns much of what he had to know. 

Mom being a semi-good person was always evident. She was loving, she was always there for the kids. Her being Ray's mom was hardly an ass-pull, they didn't let it dictate the story at all. It was more for me just a little knife in the heart for her and Ray; and how difficult it must have been. Even when she confronted the kids about the truth by the wall, she said I really do love you, please just live a peaceful life until the end. etc. etc. 

Emma after the Don/Gilda fiasco, was ALWAYS going to tell the other kids. 

Ray's plan to kill himself again falls in line with his character IMO. You could tell her was so fucked up. 

See I disagree with a lot of this 

So let's start with what the show tells us. 

The kids are geniuses - Okay. That's great. It never explained why the kids were taught things that would give them the knowledge to escape. Further, the show also makes it very clear that they were never close to outsmarting Mom. In fact, it makes very clear that nothing they did ever stood a chance of working against the Mom. By that logic, rule/assumption 2 renders rule 1 irrelevant which damages the plausibility of an escape. 

Rules 3 and 4 are not really rules as they never really come into. play. Nothing about their circumstance aids or hinders their escape (i.e. no superior use of terrain). I'd argue, given the reveal at the end, Mom's special relationship with Ray and wanting to make the best of an awful situation played more into this than being a necessary sacrifice. 

Rule 5 was an ass pull until the explanation at the end as Ray's ability to gather those materials that would allow him to explained was never adequately revealed until we knew why the Mom was willing to give him those materials and information. 

Rule 6 - I accept that to a degree that the Mom did not consider an organized rebellion a threat. 

Rule 7 is irrelevant

These are the rules I pulled from Neverland before the final episode 

1. The kids at the farm are raised to be geniuses so that they can provide quality brain meat to the aliens. To that effect, they are able to apply abstract concepts for real world application, for example, physics to determine trajectory. 

2. At age 12, each kid is shipped off as ready to consume. 

3. Security is minimal because Mom's are specifically trained to prevent escape. They outclass the children both physically and mentally. Consequently, escape alone or in small groups is impossible. 

4. Mom Isabella is an expert managing the political status of the house. Accordingly, she understands what she can give away to produce quality brain meat and where to draw the line i.e. allowing herself to get closer to her son Ray and providing things and information for his escape to maintain her control over him. To this extent, the rule created is that the Mother has completely resigned herself to being.a part of an unbreakable system (which is only confirmed in the last few episodes when she outright tells you). 

Those to me are the four rules of this show. Rules 3 and 4 get broke a lot in non-subtle ways. 

In good ways: Emma's ability to organize a rebellion was the key factor that allows you to strain the rules within credulity to make the escape plausible. However, the ending reveal is still necessary to make things plausible when it could have just been established up front. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Idk. The more I watch it, the more simple I think it is. There are lots of moments where I feel like people are just nerfed on an intellectual level to make Light survive. I remember when Light tells the woman who's husband died who he really is... such an unnecessary stupid risk. Then when you add in that the second half of the show is actually shit, I just can't help but not think its not hyped given other shows are far more consistent. 

This happened after he already saw her driver's license and won. Not only is that 100% in his character of an arrogant God, but at this point his safety was assured (barring fake license which would have been an ass pull there). I won't disagree and say DN was perfect, but what you are picking on there is literally an example of adequate world building.  It operates not only within the rules of the DN world, but within his character as well and is consistent all the way through the end of the series. 

Aaron    2051
3 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

This happened after he already saw her driver's license and won. Not only is that 100% in his character of an arrogant God, but at this point his safety was assured (barring fake license which would have been an ass pull there). I won't disagree and say DN was perfect, but what you are picking on there is literally an example of adequate world building.  It operates not only within the rules of the DN world, but within his character as well and is consistent all the way through the end of the series. 

But a fake identity was still a huge possibility. There was NO reason to do what he did. He should have just let her die first or at least become symptomatic of it. 

Sorry but bad writing is bad writing. Light was a pussy and he wasn't really near total arrogant god-mode at that point. They made him say that for dramatic effect but its a stupid ass decision from the top 2 smartest characters in the show. 

Again, I am not trying to bash Neverland, but the series does not have a consistent set of rules that have been built into its universe. Maybe, it is because season 1 is only a prologue, maybe not. 

Regardless, we know two things going forward 

(1) The children have survival skills (which have to matter given they have 0 idea about the environment outside the walls)

(2) There is a secret network of children who may aid in their escape (book message). 

The writers have pretty much complete ambiguity to write as they go from there.