victor

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

+rei+    34681

we had some great seasons last year o.o

i started the first epi of sagarada reset but wasnt really feeling it at the time, ill give it another go later

2 hours ago, rei said:

we had some great seasons last year o.o

i started the first epi of sagarada reset but wasnt really feeling it at the time, ill give it another go later

Do not disagree with this so idg the emoji.

Sagrada Reset takes a bit to get rolling, but it picks up

HououinKyouma    815
1 hour ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Outside of Carole and Tuesday, im not seeing anything great

kimetsu no yaiba

mix

kono oto tomare

sarazanmai

fruits basket

are in a similar tier to c&t.

On 5/19/2019 at 0:48 AM, HououinKyouma said:

kimetsu no yaiba

mix

kono oto tomare

sarazanmai

fruits basket

are in a similar tier to c&t.

Yaiba I am reserving judgment on because it just heated up (but tbh I don't see this as any different than Dororo). 

Kono oto's drama is becoming way too forced. Part of what makes this genre good is that the drama seems to develop organically. 

Sarazanmai - I feel like you are rating this based on what you hope it will do as opposed to what its actually done. 

Fruits basket - Can't comment on this as I havent seen either variant of it. 

I think C&T is a class above all of these especially in the storytelling department. 

HououinKyouma    815
14 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Yaiba I am reserving judgment on because it just heated up (but tbh I don't see this as any different than Dororo). 

Kono oto's drama is becoming way too forced. Part of what makes this genre good is that the drama seems to develop organically. 

Sarazanmai - I feel like you are rating this based on what you hope it will do as opposed to what its actually done. 

Fruits basket - Can't comment on this as I havent seen either variant of it. 

I think C&T is a class above all of these especially in the storytelling department. 

One of my friends i talk anime with told me a month ago that he couldn't wait for new eps of kny and ended up binging the whole manga. I told him that he was dumb for doing that, but he told me that he believed kny would end up being one of the best shounen ever, like fma tier and this was coming from someone who loves shounen manga. I told him he was full of shit and went on my merry way. Flash forward to the completion of ep 5 and I'm a little curious about Tanjirou's first mission, and ask my friend if Nezuko gets any play in the upcoming arc. He gives me this shit eating grin and goes just read the manga bro. I let curiosity get the best of me and say I'll just read the 2 chapters that are gonna be made into ep 6. Then I tell myself just the end of this arc. And then I tell myself just the end of the next arc. Until it was 3 am in the morning and I'd plowed through the entire thing. Kny has some of the best writing for a shounen manga that I've ever read, although I can't say I'm a big fan of the genre. I'm unsure whether Kny will be fma:b tier, but the source is superb and it's fucking Ufotable. Although I'm not holding my breath considering the assload of cgi they're shoving into this series, but god damn if Ufotable can capture Gotouge's writing, I'm convinced this will go down as one of the better shows of its genre.

Personally I never really understood "forced drama." Is there a lot of things happening in the show currently yea. I assume you mean the addition of the girl that's trying to break the bonds of the koto club, but I'll give her a few eps. I assume she turns rather quickly, but I think there's no big deal in using this char to give growth to the og chars. Hozuki needs to get drawn into the club more, flesh out of Hozuki/Kudo dynamic, force the president to grow, etc. I accept that this isn't k-on, we don't just get to observe the chars in their clubroom doing shenanigans. I've noticed shows like this and Shigatsu get this criticism a lot, but the author shows us this period within the show for a reason. Showing shigatsu one year before the events of the show would be boring. It's way more interesting to see Kaori be assertive and get what she wants, to see Kousei deal with his mother's death, to see the dynamics btwn Kaori and Tsubaki in their relationship w/ Kousei. Because of the "drama" we get to see the growth of these characters and in a show like this I feel like that's what we want to see anyway.

I think Sarazanmai is hitting all the right notes really. It feels much better than previous Ikuhara shows that I've felt have fallen a little flat. It really seems to be going the way of Penguindrum which I think is a great thing. I can definitely understand this one not being everyone's cup of tea. I constantly question how this show is even allowed to air in Japan rn. There are some legitimately uncomfortable scenes and some are even repeated constantly. The show is out of its monster of the week and Ikuhara is driving this show towards his larger point. Whether this be about connections, taboo, our lives in a digital age I think I'm aboard for this ride, but I can definitely understand that because I enjoyed Penguindrum I can give Ikuhara the benefit of the doubt and let him take me where he wants to take me as a viewer.

Personally not a big fan of shoujo romance shows, so I can def understand how something like Fruits Basket would be a no go, but I think the show consistently is able to win me over. It really is sort of amazing how much of a character that the mc is given, because in similar shows targeted towards a male audience the mc is an absolute nothing most of the time. I think that is a big part of what is appealing about FB, that the mc is an actual character, and that even the characters that essentially are just part of the harem are allowed to orbit outside of just being the love interest for the mc. As someone who loves shows like Amagami SS, I can also understand that the chars are blatant tropes made to appeal to certain subsets of the male audience with no agency of their own, but the male characters of FB def are their own people. Adding the zodiac legend aspect to this show really aids this I feel, giving these characters things to do that don't revolve around the mc.

1 hour ago, HououinKyouma said:

One of my friends i talk anime with told me a month ago that he couldn't wait for new eps of kny and ended up binging the whole manga. I told him that he was dumb for doing that, but he told me that he believed kny would end up being one of the best shounen ever, like fma tier and this was coming from someone who loves shounen manga. I told him he was full of shit and went on my merry way. Flash forward to the completion of ep 5 and I'm a little curious about Tanjirou's first mission, and ask my friend if Nezuko gets any play in the upcoming arc. He gives me this shit eating grin and goes just read the manga bro. I let curiosity get the best of me and say I'll just read the 2 chapters that are gonna be made into ep 6. Then I tell myself just the end of this arc. And then I tell myself just the end of the next arc. Until it was 3 am in the morning and I'd plowed through the entire thing. Kny has some of the best writing for a shounen manga that I've ever read, although I can't say I'm a big fan of the genre. I'm unsure whether Kny will be fma:b tier, but the source is superb and it's fucking Ufotable. Although I'm not holding my breath considering the assload of cgi they're shoving into this series, but god damn if Ufotable can capture Gotouge's writing, I'm convinced this will go down as one of the better shows of its genre.

Personally I never really understood "forced drama." Is there a lot of things happening in the show currently yea. I assume you mean the addition of the girl that's trying to break the bonds of the koto club, but I'll give her a few eps. I assume she turns rather quickly, but I think there's no big deal in using this char to give growth to the og chars. Hozuki needs to get drawn into the club more, flesh out of Hozuki/Kudo dynamic, force the president to grow, etc. I accept that this isn't k-on, we don't just get to observe the chars in their clubroom doing shenanigans. I've noticed shows like this and Shigatsu get this criticism a lot, but the author shows us this period within the show for a reason. Showing shigatsu one year before the events of the show would be boring. It's way more interesting to see Kaori be assertive and get what she wants, to see Kousei deal with his mother's death, to see the dynamics btwn Kaori and Tsubaki in their relationship w/ Kousei. Because of the "drama" we get to see the growth of these characters and in a show like this I feel like that's what we want to see anyway.

I think Sarazanmai is hitting all the right notes really. It feels much better than previous Ikuhara shows that I've felt have fallen a little flat. It really seems to be going the way of Penguindrum which I think is a great thing. I can definitely understand this one not being everyone's cup of tea. I constantly question how this show is even allowed to air in Japan rn. There are some legitimately uncomfortable scenes and some are even repeated constantly. The show is out of its monster of the week and Ikuhara is driving this show towards his larger point. Whether this be about connections, taboo, our lives in a digital age I think I'm aboard for this ride, but I can definitely understand that because I enjoyed Penguindrum I can give Ikuhara the benefit of the doubt and let him take me where he wants to take me as a viewer.

Personally not a big fan of shoujo romance shows, so I can def understand how something like Fruits Basket would be a no go, but I think the show consistently is able to win me over. It really is sort of amazing how much of a character that the mc is given, because in similar shows targeted towards a male audience the mc is an absolute nothing most of the time. I think that is a big part of what is appealing about FB, that the mc is an actual character, and that even the characters that essentially are just part of the harem are allowed to orbit outside of just being the love interest for the mc. As someone who loves shows like Amagami SS, I can also understand that the chars are blatant tropes made to appeal to certain subsets of the male audience with no agency of their own, but the male characters of FB def are their own people. Adding the zodiac legend aspect to this show really aids this I feel, giving these characters things to do that don't revolve around the mc.

KnY you're giving credit for something it hasn't done yet. I'm not saying it can't be better. I am saying that what we have seen so far has been far from impressive. The only thing I like about it is we are getting significant plot progression earlier on, but I doubt that will keep up. (inb4 just read the manga bro). 

Forced drama is just drama for drama's sake i.e. nothing/not enough is happening so lets just jam in some needless drama The girl you mentioned is one example. I'd argue a certain character's home life is also borderline irrelevant. Your Lie in April is an example of organic drama and excellent character development. Almost every event has to deal with Kousei overcoming his mental barriers in some way. It's an unfair comparison. 

I enjoyed Penguindrum. Sarazanmai is just not my cup of tea. I agree its about making a point and an overarching story with a plot that progresses may not be necessary to get that point across. I personally think that robs it of any staying power because it becomes really hard to be invested in a story like that. 

I will eventually watch the fruits basket remake, but until then I can't comment. 

HououinKyouma    815
3 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

KnY you're giving credit for something it hasn't done yet. I'm not saying it can't be better. I am saying that what we have seen so far has been far from impressive. The only thing I like about it is we are getting significant plot progression earlier on, but I doubt that will keep up. (inb4 just read the manga bro). 

Forced drama is just drama for drama's sake i.e. nothing/not enough is happening so lets just jam in some needless drama The girl you mentioned is one example. I'd argue a certain character's home life is also borderline irrelevant. Your Lie in April is an example of organic drama and excellent character development. Almost every event has to deal with Kousei overcoming his mental barriers in some way. It's an unfair comparison. 

I enjoyed Penguindrum. Sarazanmai is just not my cup of tea. I agree its about making a point and an overarching story with a plot that progresses may not be necessary to get that point across. I personally think that robs it of any staying power because it becomes really hard to be invested in a story like that. 

I will eventually watch the fruits basket remake, but until then I can't comment. 

Ye from here KnY only picks up. I'm certainly excited for the upcoming weeks.

I feel like Hozuki's home life is pretty damn important though to her character development. The relationship btwn Hozuki and her mother drives her to join the club in the first place. It's not like it was out of nowhere either, she clearly was hiding when they went to see the performance of her mother's students. I mean it's paralleled by Takezo's own relationship with his mother. The koto club in general is full of people rejected in general, so I really don't see too much problems in Kurata's behavior. She fits with the koto group, and her messing with them was a way to flesh out Hozuki's character anyway. Hozuki telling the club her problems is just a way of showing her growth.

I think we can just agree to disagree on Sarazanmai. haha

+rei+    34681

ive never watched either fruits basket what would i be getting myself into 

HououinKyouma    815
4 hours ago, rei said:

ive never watched either fruits basket what would i be getting myself into 

girl who longs for a home finds a home filled with people craving personal connections. sprinkle in some supernatural lore and you got Fruits Basket. I think the characters are pretty interesting and so far it's been progressing along nicely. Would recommend.

+rei+    34681
20 minutes ago, HououinKyouma said:

girl who longs for a home finds a home filled with people craving personal connections. sprinkle in some supernatural lore and you got Fruits Basket. I think the characters are pretty interesting and so far it's been progressing along nicely. Would recommend.

and diving in to the remake is fine? 

HououinKyouma    815
4 hours ago, rei said:

and diving in to the remake is fine? 

I've never seen the original so I'd think it's fine!

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2019 at 1:22 AM, HououinKyouma said:

Ye from here KnY only picks up. I'm certainly excited for the upcoming weeks.

Reveal hidden contents

I think we can just agree to disagree on Sarazanmai. haha

I'll give KnY this: There is an overarching plot which Dorororo lacks to a degree, but it just feels like the same story we have seen 1000x before and unlike something like Slime or Shield Hero, the story isn't told in an interesting way (Shield Hero is told from an anti-hero perspective that most can relate to and Slime was just good wholesome fun). Compared to that KnY just feels bland especially following up Dorororo which is very simialr. 

I think the problem I have with Kono Oto is just the lack of lack of focus and force feeding we are getting. Rather than seamlessly and organically building toward character development, it feels like the story writers just are like "Well we have to provide some backstory for this so lets just jam it in and get it out of the way." It does not do this all the time as the next arc seems to be more organic, but its enough where it does ruin the enjoyment of the story at times.

I am doing the same thing you are with Sarazanmai, but at some point there has to be a story for me to give a fuck about it and get invested into it. For all the gripes, I give the above and this season in general, those anime at least have some kind of overarching story that keeps me coming back. I swear 10 mins of Sarazanmai (50% of the episode) are literally the same exact scene and its gotten to the point where I am considering just FF through it every week. Honestly, Sarazanmai could have basically ripped off the story from Persona 5 and I think it would be much better for it. 

I am just killing myself for a story I can actually get invested in this season and its just not there. I think in recent seasons we really hit a good place in shows telling a story that draws you in with strong world building and plot progression while also making an overarching point. It is just notably absent from this season. 

Finished Revue Starlight. Good concept if it was a more cohesive story and had a higher animation budget.

Also finished Re;Creators which I thought was excellent. 

Aaron    2047
On 5/27/2019 at 6:09 AM, Francis J Underwood said:

I'll give KnY this: There is an overarching plot which Dorororo lacks to a degree, but it just feels like the same story we have seen 1000x before and unlike something like Slime or Shield Hero, the story isn't told in an interesting way (Shield Hero is told from an anti-hero perspective that most can relate to and Slime was just good wholesome fun). Compared to that KnY just feels bland especially following up Dorororo which is very simialr. 

I think the problem I have with Kono Oto is just the lack of lack of focus and force feeding we are getting. Rather than seamlessly and organically building toward character development, it feels like the story writers just are like "Well we have to provide some backstory for this so lets just jam it in and get it out of the way." It does not do this all the time as the next arc seems to be more organic, but its enough where it does ruin the enjoyment of the story at times.

I am doing the same thing you are with Sarazanmai, but at some point there has to be a story for me to give a fuck about it and get invested into it. For all the gripes, I give the above and this season in general, those anime at least have some kind of overarching story that keeps me coming back. I swear 10 mins of Sarazanmai (50% of the episode) are literally the same exact scene and its gotten to the point where I am considering just FF through it every week. Honestly, Sarazanmai could have basically ripped off the story from Persona 5 and I think it would be much better for it. 

I am just killing myself for a story I can actually get invested in this season and its just not there. I think in recent seasons we really hit a good place in shows telling a story that draws you in with strong world building and plot progression while also making an overarching point. It is just notably absent from this season. 

idk i dont think sheild hero's narrative is anything too earth shattering.

he is still clearly the hero from the episodes i've seen and everyone else are just self absorbed dickheads playing hero.

attack on titan is awesome atm. the sound design in that show is epic. 

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

idk i dont think sheild hero's narrative is anything too earth shattering.

he is still clearly the hero from the episodes i've seen and everyone else are just self absorbed dickheads playing hero.

attack on titan is awesome atm. the sound design in that show is epic. 

Shield Hero isn't groundbreaking, but the way it tells the story is refreshing. This isn't your typical Gary Stu -- the paragon of virtue -- gets dropped into a world and saves it. You hit the nail exactly on the head -- He is actually saving the world, while everyone else is just playing at saving it (which is the foil between Shield Hero and classic isekai like SAO where whatever action the M.C. takes ends up working out). 

It also flips modern Isekai on its head in another way. While most protagonist end up in an Isekai scenario trying to escape trauma or boredom in the real world, Shield Hero is the opposite. Naofumi is literally doing whatever he can to isolate himself from the Isekai world and escape back to his normal life because he was treated unfairly and because he fears that even the people he trusts will turn on him eventually. Unlike basically every isekai, I can think of, Naofumi never truly acclimates to the world of Shield Hero. 

+rei+    34681

Slime-kun is kind of like your first paragraph... in the LN. Kind of weird how they turned his character from someone who straight up is honest hes only being nice out of pragmatism into basically a paragon though it does work 

On 6/3/2019 at 7:11 AM, rei said:

Slime-kun is kind of like your first paragraph... in the LN. Kind of weird how they turned his character from someone who straight up is honest hes only being nice out of pragmatism into basically a paragon though it does work 

Slime take the same approach as Overlord. The only real difference is that Slime takes a much more wholesome approach. 

The aspect of all three shows (Shield Hero, Slime, Overlord)  that makes them great and gives them staying power is their world building. We watch these shows because they create a world that allows the viewer to become immersed. The level of detail that goes into creating these worlds, the characters, and the relationships between the characters is what keeps viewers coming back for more.

Overlord does not have an overarching plot, but watching the relationships develop between the characters and watching Ainz Ooal Gowl manage all these relationships is endlessly entertaining. 

Slime is the same way just to a lesser degree. 

Shield Hero has an overarching plot, but I'd argue we do not care about it as much because of its world-building. The story isn't about the "Waves" so much as Naofumi's growth and development throughout the series. 

+rei+    34681

i have no idea why Overlord S1 is not on crunchy but 2 and 3 are (at least in canada) did funi take it back or something?

I downloaded the LNs for it and will read after ir ead the slime LNs (which i both own and pirated) 

Haruki    12639

black clover is the new wave

HououinKyouma    815
On 5/26/2019 at 10:09 PM, Francis J Underwood said:

I mean I think I agree in some senses. It feels like a lot of the shows I felt had promise to just be genuinely great have fallen into spectacular genre pieces which I don't find bad at all. It may be disappointing for Kono Oto to Tomare to become Saki or Hanebado, but I enjoyed those shows for what they were which were fun ridiculous sports shows. I also feel the same way with Fruit's Basket where it moves from something that had potential to be great to just a really great shoujo romance show. Same with Carole and Tuesday it's a great music show, but it doesn't have the impact of Kids on the Slope, but that doesn't change the fact that it's great for just being a music/drama show.

I feel like Sarazanmai has been on a spectacular run so far and has been really ramping up. It has potential to be a really great show that will be remembered years from now, maybe it was hampered by being a 1 cour, but that's something we can only speculate on.

As for KnY I think it is probably the best show of this season by a long shot, especially since this is when it finally "starts." Everything before this was meant to flesh out the world of KnY, but more specifically to tell us what kind of person Tanjirou is. Once we get introduced to the rest of the cast, esp. people like Zenitsu, we can finally see why this show shines so brilliantly. The way that Gotouge masterfully weaves the central themes into the overall story. The major theme of "bonds" (familial, blood v non-blood) has been laid out through these first few episodes, such as Urokodaki+the orphan kids being family, Muzan tying the demons literally through his own blood, the strength of familial bonds btwn Tanjirou and Nezuko to bind human and demon. We also have seen glimpses of another of the major themes of KnY in rebirth/reincarnation/redemption with the final selection demon. Buddhism is one of the major influences on KnY, so the ideas of rebirth/reincarnation and redemption tied with the inhumane acts committed by demons is a major theme of the show. Other Buddhist ideas such as impermanence also play a big role in the show, but nothing has directly been shown relating to it. The fact that Gotouge's love for her characters both heroes and villains allows her to write some of the best shounen characters that I have seen in what feels like ages. Overall I am so fucking hyped for the rest of this series to play out and it will only keep ramping up from here on out.

2 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

I mean I think I agree in some senses. It feels like a lot of the shows I felt had promise to just be genuinely great have fallen into spectacular genre pieces which I don't find bad at all. It may be disappointing for Kono Oto to Tomare to become Saki or Hanebado, but I enjoyed those shows for what they were which were fun ridiculous sports shows. I also feel the same way with Fruit's Basket where it moves from something that had potential to be great to just a really great shoujo romance show. Same with Carole and Tuesday it's a great music show, but it doesn't have the impact of Kids on the Slope, but that doesn't change the fact that it's great for just being a music/drama show.

I feel like Sarazanmai has been on a spectacular run so far and has been really ramping up. It has potential to be a really great show that will be remembered years from now, maybe it was hampered by being a 1 cour, but that's something we can only speculate on.

As for KnY I think it is probably the best show of this season by a long shot, especially since this is when it finally "starts." Everything before this was meant to flesh out the world of KnY, but more specifically to tell us what kind of person Tanjirou is. Once we get introduced to the rest of the cast, esp. people like Zenitsu, we can finally see why this show shines so brilliantly. The way that Gotouge masterfully weaves the central themes into the overall story. The major theme of "bonds" (familial, blood v non-blood) has been laid out through these first few episodes, such as Urokodaki+the orphan kids being family, Muzan tying the demons literally through his own blood, the strength of familial bonds btwn Tanjirou and Nezuko to bind human and demon. We also have seen glimpses of another of the major themes of KnY in rebirth/reincarnation/redemption with the final selection demon. Buddhism is one of the major influences on KnY, so the ideas of rebirth/reincarnation and redemption tied with the inhumane acts committed by demons is a major theme of the show. Other Buddhist ideas such as impermanence also play a big role in the show, but nothing has directly been shown relating to it. The fact that Gotouge's love for her characters both heroes and villains allows her to write some of the best shounen characters that I have seen in what feels like ages. Overall I am so fucking hyped for the rest of this series to play out and it will only keep ramping up from here on out.

Here are my thoughts:

2017/2018 versus 2019

I feel like 2017 - 2018 was a really really really good years for anime with several challenging for masterpiece status (Made in the Abyss [I personally think this was very overhyped but ppl loved it], Re;Creators, Banana Fish, A Place Further Than The Universe). Even those that didn't challenge for masterpiece status still put on a clinic on how to redefine a genre (Slime for Isekai for example). If I asked you to rank the best anime from those two years collectively, it would be extremely hard to do (For me it's between Re;Creators and Banana Fish just for the sheer ambition of what they attempted, but between them idk). Finally, even the flameouts rose to Code Trainwreck level of fabulous (Darling in the Frannx: points if ppl get this reference). Hell even Goblin Slayer was innovative in the sense that the directors somehow convinced the producers to let them air hentai on public T.V. Almost every show lived up to its potential or if not our expectations of it. Even the trainwrecks were able to string together quality episodes for long enough to get us invested. I mean we were consistently getting shows at the B+ and A- level with multiple A+.

I think this coincides with the fact that more studios are being backed by streaming platforms increasing their demand for anime and funneling money into studios to create new exclusive projects. It would also explain why the quality level in general has risen.    

Compared to those two years, 2019 has played it relatively safe. We got a ton of sequels (OPM, Mob Psycho 100, AoT S3P2), which were good but nothing new. For a second season like this to rise to that A- level, it needs to significantly elevate the series in some way. It needs to draw in new viewers or be so good that you go rewatch the prior season just so you can pay attention to the new season. Unfortunately, while Mob Psycho was excellent,  it didn't hit that mark and OPM Season 2 is nowhere near it. With "Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon," "My Hero Academia Season 4," and Psycho Pass Season 3" on the way, it does not seem like 2019 will give us the level of quality novelty we have become accustomed to. None of these series are bad, but it's just more of the same. 

Analysis of 2019 Spring Shows

Unlike even last season where there were multiple must watch shows (Dorororo, Shield Hero, Promised Neverland), Spring 2019 is probably the weakest overall season we have had in years. 

I came into this season willing to watch the following new content: 

(1) Carole and Tuesday

(2) Kono Oto 

(3) Sarazanmai

(4) KnY

(5) Wise Men's Grand Child

(6) We Never learn 

(7) Afterlost 

(9) Fairy Gone 

*Fruits Basket I'm watching at a later date as a binge watch (but it would fall into the above category of second season/remake). 

I dropped everything striked out after 4-5 episodes because they were so bad. Just unwatchable bad to the point where I can't even watch it as something mindless.

That still leaves me with four shows that captured my attention, which should be pretty for a season.

(1) Carole and Tuesday - I think this is the runaway best show of Spring 2019 and its not even close. It's an original concept which automatically differentiates it from just about every other show this season (Sarazanmai excepted) so everyone is coming into it with the same level of interest. The animation quality is superb, which is something that has been lacking in general. The musical score is the best this season. The story of Carole and Tuesday is simple, at times formulaic, but it's a different story than what we typically see with this genre. Music is not a medium for something else here. Here, music  and the music industry is the central theme while simultaneously acting a critique on society.

The only real flaw to Carole and Tuesday is that it hasn't or is unwilling to explore deeper/darker aspects of the music industry, and emotion yet. It has been teasing us with it at several points, but it's positive almost to a fault. Given the series is 24 episodes, it is an original work, the amount of foreshadowing done already, I trust the final 75% of the series will get us there. 

(2) Kono Oto - Let's just get the unavoidable negatives out of the way. Carole and Tuesday does everything better (music, animation quality, etc . . .). That being said, Carole and Tuesday has twice the run time and probably twice the production budget. 

The one place where this disadvantage could have benefitted Kono Oto was in its pacing. The limited run time forces Kono Oto to delve deeper into issues more quickly than Carole and Tuesday and could have more quickly gotten its audience invested in its characters and story. However, the director was likely too ambitious as he seems to be trying to give every character their own episode as screen time, but isn't taking the time to foreshadow or develop the characters so these episodes are warranted (last episode was completely out of nowhere and complete unnecessary). If you want to see this done correctly, Revue Starlight managed to pull it off well. 

That being said, I agree that the series is just okay and a good way to kill 20 mins every week, but thats what makes it an average, and very forgettable series and easy to lose interest in. 

(3) Sarazanmai - I've done this to death, but I think the fatal flaw of Sarazanmai is that the writer is trying to cater to way too many audiences at once in an effort to get his message out as widespread as possible. This reminds me of SpongeBob, Ren and Stimpy, or one of those old school 90's Cartoon Network cartoon like Courage the Cowardly Dog. It is show for adults couched as a cartoon so that they can watch it with their children without their kids knowing any better while simultaneously exposing their kids to adult themes. It's that aspect that prevents it from exploring any themes or messages at more than a superficial level and also prevents it from having an overly complicated story. 

(4) KImetsu no Yaiba - I mean I don't see why people like this so much. I'm not a fan of the animation style. The way it tells its story is mundane. It just seems like a typical shounen series. What really bothers me about this series (besides being a clone of Dorororo) is that we have seen the shounen concept elevated and done sooooo much better. I don't want to hold it against My Hero Academia, but that's the level you need to reach if you want to get staying power as a shounen series. 

Overall, I just wish 2019 would give us something new or different to get its audience invested in its shows. A 30 min escape every week is great, but I want to be rewarded for my investment at some point. This is part of the reason why I hate watching shows week by week (because you can't fully appreciate them the way you could when you can binge watch a series), but, on the other hand, a show that is done well will be discussed with anticipation week to week and its this kind of show that I think is really lacking this season.   

HououinKyouma    815

@Francis J Underwood

2017/18 v 19

I think it's really hard to compare since we've barely had 2 seasons. Comparing early 17/18 with 19 makes it seem like 19 has the advantage. '18 had After the Rain (Koi wa Ameagari no You ni) which I've heard a lot of great things about and Franxx which was a mess I dropped within 3 eps. '17 had a bunch of stuff by this point, Re:Creators which I wasn't a big fan of, sequels to big hits that weren't to my taste (BnHA 2) or I haven't gotten around to (Konosuba 2), Sagrada Reset which I'm going through right now, and Kemono Friends.

'19 has had Kemurikusa which is one of the most interesting anime original series I've seen in a while, The Magnificent Kotobuki (Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai) which was amazingly fun and anime original based on a mobile game. Last season also had Dororo, Shield Hero, and Kaguya which are shows that I personally didn't enjoy but I know you and a bunch of people really dug. This season has stuff like KnY, Carole & Tuesday, and Sarazanmai.

In terms of what's coming in the future, it's really hard to say especially because something like this could drop and blow this year wide open. It's Dennou Coil director and creator Iso Mitsuo's first series since Dennou Coil animated by the Production IG offshoot Signal MD. Really winter season is nowhere near locked in yet.

Spring 19

For me a season is successful if I'm following more than 1 show. This season has been fantastic for me when I'm following 8 shows this season (KnY, C&T, Hitoribocchi, Sarazanmai, Kono Oto, FB, Mix, and Sewayaki Kitsune). Usually I only stay with 1~2 shows a season. There's a good mix of fantastic, interesting, and genre shows in there and personally I couldn't be happier. I mean when there's potential for 3 spectacular shows from this season alone I'd call this season a success.

Kaiji is an excellent mindgame show. Character design is terrible as expected, but it kind of grows on you. It's the kind of anime where most people pass over because of the initial reaction but the suspense building and twists with lack of common tropes makes it really addicting.