victor

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

HououinKyouma    818

What a strong ass week.

KnY - PIG ASSAULT. Golden boy. It fucking BEGINS. Next two weeks will be fucking amazing. Ufotable's sound design this episode holy cow. The cut to silence for comedic effect during the Zenitsu Tanjirou conversation was fucking amazing. Drum House demon's drums are fucking perfect. Inosuke's entrance and the music used during it. So hyped.

Sarazanmai - Reaching aoty tiers. Reminded me why Mamoru Miyano is one of the best in the damn biz. Mamoru Miyano fucked seiyu'ed the shit out of this episode. Ikuhara took us on a grand ride, can't wait to see how he ends it.

c&t - don't know if cybelle's gas attack was earned, but c&t has been solid so far so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

fb - honestly the show surprises me more and more, I can see why this is one of the classics of the genre.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

What a strong ass week.

KnY - PIG ASSAULT. Golden boy. It fucking BEGINS. Next two weeks will be fucking amazing. Ufotable's sound design this episode holy cow. The cut to silence for comedic effect during the Zenitsu Tanjirou conversation was fucking amazing. Drum House demon's drums are fucking perfect. Inosuke's entrance and the music used during it. So hyped.

Sarazanmai - Reaching aoty tiers. Reminded me why Mamoru Miyano is one of the best in the damn biz. Mamoru Miyano fucked seiyu'ed the shit out of this episode. Ikuhara took us on a grand ride, can't wait to see how he ends it.

c&t - don't know if cybelle's gas attack was earned, but c&t has been solid so far so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

fb - honestly the show surprises me more and more, I can see why this is one of the classics of the genre.

KnY - Watched it. This must be a manga thing caused I didnt get that hype vibe. Most shounen things won't do it for me. 

Sazazanmai - GTFO. This was bs. Voice acting was good, but this is nowhere near AotY. It's not even the AoTS. 

C&T - It wasn't a gas attack. That was probably liquid nitrogen (to keep something cold like a dismembered body part. i am thinking an eye or an ear. (Cybelle = STAN confirmed). 

Reserving Judgment on FB

Kono Oto is doing more of the same stuff as always but the story is advancing and the quality is consistent. 

Edited by Francis J Underwood
  • Upvote 1

So Sarazanmai just finished. 

Yeah I have no real fucking clue what was going on in this last episode or the series in general. I mean get the broad strokes and the themes explored, but there is no cohesiveness or transitions used in this at all. Probably deserves a rewatch, but I am really not that invested into it. 

HououinKyouma    818

Here's my thoughts on some recently ended series, been busy so I'll give my thoughts on the other ending shows soon I guess.

Sarazanmai

Honestly I think it's biggest flaw was that the story Ikuhara wanted to tell didn't fit into 11 episodes. If the rumors about it being 11 because of delays on his ends I'll give him less credit, but honestly I doubt this story even fits into 12 episodes. Overall I really enjoyed the ride. Having all of the creature of the week stuff happen on the bridge is pretty fitting. I think Ikuhara's use of location was the biggest strength of his with the bridge "tying" so many chars together, Enta and Kazu play soccer under it and Toi and Kazu meet each other for the first time there. A buddy told me it leaned heavily on The Little Prince, I could sorta see it in ep 12, but I think I'll definitely give it a re-read. Overall one thing I really enjoy about anime is that you're bound by your imagination, and this show was bonkers and the imagery was spectacular. One of the best eds I've seen in a long time, the use of the actual locations a lot of major plot events happen with the characters overlayed onto them was great.

Hitoribocchi no MaruMaru Seikatsu

Pretty middle of the road 4-koma adaptation, but honestly it's hard to live up to a masterpiece like Asobi Asobase being so recent. I felt that we had at least a few of these every season, but ever since the isekai takeover it seems rarer and rarer to have a show like this. Don't think I'll revisit it, but it definitely had its moments.

10 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

Here's my thoughts on some recently ended series, been busy so I'll give my thoughts on the other ending shows soon I guess.

Sarazanmai

Hide contents

Honestly I think it's biggest flaw was that the story Ikuhara wanted to tell didn't fit into 11 episodes. If the rumors about it being 11 because of delays on his ends I'll give him less credit, but honestly I doubt this story even fits into 12 episodes. Overall I really enjoyed the ride. Having all of the creature of the week stuff happen on the bridge is pretty fitting. I think Ikuhara's use of location was the biggest strength of his with the bridge "tying" so many chars together, Enta and Kazu play soccer under it and Toi and Kazu meet each other for the first time there. A buddy told me it leaned heavily on The Little Prince, I could sorta see it in ep 12, but I think I'll definitely give it a re-read. Overall one thing I really enjoy about anime is that you're bound by your imagination, and this show was bonkers and the imagery was spectacular. One of the best eds I've seen in a long time, the use of the actual locations a lot of major plot events happen with the characters overlayed onto them was great.

Hitoribocchi no MaruMaru Seikatsu

Pretty middle of the road 4-koma adaptation, but honestly it's hard to live up to a masterpiece like Asobi Asobase being so recent. I felt that we had at least a few of these every season, but ever since the isekai takeover it seems rarer and rarer to have a show like this. Don't think I'll revisit it, but it definitely had its moments.

Ugh we have at least 5 isekai next season (just kill me now). Didn't want watch Hirtoribocchi so I can't comment. 

Sarazanmai

The ED is incredible and one of the biggest flaws in the series was making it an ED (which very few ppl have the patience to watch). Can you imagine how much more hype it would have gotten if w/e they invested into the ED budget got invested into the OP? 

I feel like 11-12 episodes was the perfect number for this. This difference between this and Gridman was that Gridman was more judicious and much more efficient with the time it had. The issue is Ikuhara wasted to much time and so many episodes on unnecessary scenes. Too many Monster of the Week episodes with minimal development. Half of like the first eight episodes were literally the same scenes/song and dance routines. As far as I am concerned Ikuhara needs to take a hit for that. 

Biggest flaw for me is that Ikuhara simply tried to cater to way too many audiences. As a result, it's hard for any one audience to truly enjoy. It is better than I initially gave it credit for, but it is flawed.

I guess whether the series is a success depends on what Ikuhara's goal was. If he wanted to create a show that could expose kids to complex social issues in a safe, fun way that adults could also enjoy, Sarazanmai probably succeeded. 

+rei+    34721

Rewatched all of Eva last weekend.

I'm honestly mostly pumped at all the new people coming in and really appreciating wht it did well (like framing and what not) - it's one thing to have loved something from when you were 14 and its another to see people who've never seen it and are your age seeing it for the first time and acknowledging all the good shit it's got. 

HououinKyouma    818
4 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Ugh we have at least 5 isekai next season (just kill me now). Didn't want watch Hirtoribocchi so I can't comment. 

Sarazanmai

Reveal hidden contents

I mean Sarazanmai wasn't aimed at kids, it aired at 1 am on Fridays. Also Ikuhara does the song/dance with all his shows, it's just his thing haha. Otherwise I agree with most of your criticisms although I know you're much more lukewarm on gridman than I am.

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10229

Monster of the week episodes are literally the reason I don't watch all that much anime these days, I just don't give a shit about badly paced television

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34721

Monster of the Week can work if it's used to build the characters. If the monster themselves and the fight against it is the actual focus, then not so much. 

+rei+    34721

First and foremost, I only realized the new season was starting soon yesterday and only looked at the MAL page on this season today so this is primarily based off of MAL's summaries at this point

Might watch the Index spinoff about Accelerator - this hentai forum im on has a bunch of index/railgun fans and I dont have the patience to go through all the media but I might be down to just check out that spinoff

Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? may get me as a drive to lift more. I've gotten way more into hiking lately but I'm neglecting my upper body

Sounen Desu Ka seems like my kind of trash maybe

Cop Craft could be cool 

7 minutes ago, rei said:

First and foremost, I only realized the new season was starting soon yesterday and only looked at the MAL page on this season today so this is primarily based off of MAL's summaries at this point

Might watch the Index spinoff about Accelerator - this hentai forum im on has a bunch of index/railgun fans and I dont have the patience to go through all the media but I might be down to just check out that spinoff

Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? may get me as a drive to lift more. I've gotten way more into hiking lately but I'm neglecting my upper body

Cop Craft could be cool 

Tits or GTFO?

+rei+    34721

rofl 

• Haha 1

HououinKyouma    818
3 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

So what anime are we picking up from this season?

I'll sample everything again but this is what I'm looking forward to:

-Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator

The magic side of the Toaru series sucks ass, science side has all the most interesting and cool characters. Super hyped for more Accelerator shrieking goodness.

-Lord El-Melloi II: Case Files

One of my friends is a huge nasuverse guy, I was pretty lukewarm to the idea of this, but the 3rd pv made this look fucking amazing very excited for this. The match cut of Waver and Rider was fucking amazing.

-Joshikousei no Mudazaki

Getting huge Asobi Asobase/Daily Lives of High School Boys vibes off this one hopefully it's as funny as those.

3 hours ago, rei said:

Cop Craft could be cool 

Watched the first episode of Sounan Desu Ka? and it's ecchi to the core, but definitely hilarious and intriguing at the same time that I'll give it a few more eps.

If you choose to jump into Toaru Kagaku no Accel I'd highly suggest watching the Sisters Arc, in my opinion it's the one arc that really stands out from all of the Toaru franchise stuff. Also it's a good enough intro to the series that you won't get too confused jumping into this spinoff. First watch Toaru Majutsu no Index S1 eps 10-14 and Railgun S ep 3-16. Also if you don't end up watching the sisters arc just watch all the openings because the Toaru has the best openings.

HououinKyouma    818

Also my thoughts on Kono Oto Tomare

The first few episodes of this series really made me believe that this show would be much more like Shigatsu wa kimi no uso, but it turned out that this show is much more like Saki but minus the fanservice and badass mahjong super powers. Although I wanted to give her and the writers a chance, the drama girl really was integrated in the worst way possible, still don't see the point in her at all. I think the show should've definitely revolved much more around Kudo/Hozuki and the president dealing with their past traumas and focus much less on the competition aspect like Shigatsu did. Overall I think the show is just fine, although the Kudo solo in the school performance was one of my favorite scenes of the season. I'm such a sucker for montage. Overall I think a big reason why I'm so disappointed with this show is that it really felt like it could've fallen in the Shigatsu tier, but it's just solid instead of spectacular. I mean they utilized similar visual aesthetics as the Shigatsu opening at times so the comparison seems even stronger. Although, I'll definitely tune in for the next cour.

+rei+    34721

i know everything that happens in the sisters arc

"ecchi to the core"

and sold 

3 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

Also my thoughts on Kono Oto Tomare

Hide contents

The first few episodes of this series really made me believe that this show would be much more like Shigatsu wa kimi no uso, but it turned out that this show is much more like Saki but minus the fanservice and badass mahjong super powers. Although I wanted to give her and the writers a chance, the drama girl really was integrated in the worst way possible, still don't see the point in her at all. I think the show should've definitely revolved much more around Kudo/Hozuki and the president dealing with their past traumas and focus much less on the competition aspect like Shigatsu did. Overall I think the show is just fine, although the Kudo solo in the school performance was one of my favorite scenes of the season. I'm such a sucker for montage. Overall I think a big reason why I'm so disappointed with this show is that it really felt like it could've fallen in the Shigatsu tier, but it's just solid instead of spectacular. I mean they utilized similar visual aesthetics as the Shigatsu opening at times so the comparison seems even stronger. Although, I'll definitely tune in for the next cour.

Welcome to Spring Anime 2019

Thought on OPM Season 2

OPM season 1 was capturing lightning in a bottle and the people at MadHouse made sure that the high points really hit. What made season 1 great was the combination of perfectly executed and delivered comedic moments contrasting with well-executed fight scenes that somehow delivered a sense of suspense despite knowing the outcome. In Season 1, we knew Saitama would save the day every single time, but we kept watching for how he saved the day and for that ultimately satisfying moment when he did it in an awesome and dramatic way.

This season gave us none of that. Instead, Season 2 introduced a whole cast of new characters but largely left all of them underdeveloped (Garou excluded).

Honestly, I only remember two scenes from this season (Saitama coming to Suiryu's rescue, and the final punch against the centipedede). Both were badass moments that gave you exactly what you expected from the series. Season 2 definitely could have used more of this. 

What I'm Watching Summer 2019 Edition 

Carry Overs From Spring 2019 

Carole and Tuesday 

Kimetsu No Yaiba 

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Summer 2019 Anime I am going out my way to watch 

GranBlem

Cop Craft - 

Kono Yo No Hatte 

Vinland Saga 

Dr. Stone - 

Enn Enn no Shouboutai - 

Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon Second Season - 

Summer 2019 Anime That Intrigue Me

Given - Could be really glad or could be a better Kono Oto

BEM - Feels like that Angels of Death anime from last summer. 

Katsu Kami Datta 

Things I am watching because they are on Hulu and I have easy access

Demon Lord, Retry

Astra

+rei+    34721

reminds me i need to renwew my crunchyroll tonight 

»Zero Enna    3
3 hours ago, rei said:

reminds me i need to renwew my crunchyroll tonight 

Crunchyroll has been the greatest thing to ever happen to me. 

• Upvote 2

HououinKyouma    818

so much Akira news. It's getting a 4k remaster. Maybe that's why they had murals up in Shibuya when I was there.