Sign in to follow this  
Bazoo

Foreign vs. American and my first car

Bazoo    5674

so basically I've been looking for my first car pretty much all summer. my parents say they'll pay for pretty much anything 1500 or less (I'm not a spoiled kid, this is basically the hugest favor they'll ever do for me. "maybe" a little tuition for my first year).

So yesterday I show him two cars that popped up on the same day (I've been looking for a while): A 1997 Buick Riviera with a 92,000 miles for 1300, and a 1999 Kia Sephia with about 100,000 for 1400. now I'm not a huge expert with cars but these both are valued at about 1.2k less than the average private party (and that's if it's in bad shape, both ads say the run great).

Now I'll be crazy happy with either one, but what I've heard generally is that Japanese cars are built better than American and get more mpg. However, my dad does NOT want to buy a Japanese car, basically because he works at GM (big car company, doing bad now). I tried to explain to him that because it's a used car, it's not going to fucking matter, the money goes to the economy either way. My questions are:

1. Would that Kia be a better deal? Does the Japanese > American policy extend back to '99?

2. Is there some other disadvantage to buying a foreign car? i.e. is it harder to repair or something?

3. Are they good deals?

he already called twice on the Riviera, it was still in the paper today, but a speedy answer would be appreciated.

Model    864

Don't go for either, honestly just wait. More options will become available even with that price tag.

+rei+    34352

Always go for the Japanese -

THAT SAID

Kia is Korean and shitty

»...Arson    7755

Do not go Japanese of you don't have to.

Why? Because if they do breakdown and (as it is your first car and you're buying it used) it probably will eventually, the cost to fix it is ridiculously higher because they have to import all of the parts.

If you're going for a first car I personally would want a Chevrolet Cavalier. Cheap on gas, parts are a dime a dozen, and they're proved consistently to the the most dependable starter car.

That being said... don't go out and buy a sunfire because it's american, those pieces of shit breakdown once a week. I'd buy an older civic or something over that.

Bazoo    5674

yeah I don't think we're gonna be able to get this anyway, ill wait for a cavalier to pop up. thanks yo.

what's a good price range on a cavalier if i do see one?

Model    864
yeah I don't think we're gonna be able to get this anyway, ill wait for a cavalier to pop up. thanks yo.

what's a good price range on a cavalier if i do see one?

Depends no the year honestly. You should be able to get a decent one around 12-16 hundred honestly =\

+rei+    34352
Do not go Japanese of you don't have to.

Why? Because if they do breakdown and (as it is your first car and you're buying it used) it probably will eventually, the cost to fix it is ridiculously higher because they have to import all of the parts.

If you're going for a first car I personally would want a Chevrolet Cavalier. Cheap on gas, parts are a dime a dozen, and they're proved consistently to the the most dependable starter car.

That being said... don't go out and buy a sunfire because it's american, those pieces of shit breakdown once a week. I'd buy an older civic or something over that.

If you buy a used civic i assure you the parts wont be any more expensive co upled with the fact that it's going to break dwon a hell of a lot less than a chevy

ZeroBoy    18

1. Any car > American car.

2. For an old car no, for a new car yes.

3. As mentioned don´t even buy a car for that much money, rather work or smth to have at least 3-4k.... Everything below is crap and you will pay twice the price for the repairs etc...

Model    864
1. Any car > American car.

2. For an old car no, for a new car yes.

3. As mentioned don´t even buy a car for that much money, rather work or smth to have at least 3-4k.... Everything below is crap and you will pay twice the price for the repairs etc...

You're stupid I bought a 1993 Turbo'd eclipse because the person thoguht the valves were warped...for 1200 and all I did was replace the servo motar and redo the timing and put new belts and a chain and new radiator on it and it's like new.

120,000 miles $2000 car. You just need to know something about cars before you go and buy a used one.

Spectre    29

The ricer > American car thing is just basically about engine size tbh.

The average person views gas mileage as the "be all, end all", so obviously these lighter japanese cars with lower liter IL-4s are going to be more appealing.

so basically I've been looking for my first car pretty much all summer. my parents say they'll pay for pretty much anything 1500 or less (I'm not a spoiled kid, this is basically the hugest favor they'll ever do for me. "maybe" a little tuition for my first year).

So yesterday I show him two cars that popped up on the same day (I've been looking for a while): A 1997 Buick Riviera with a 92,000 miles for 1300, and a 1999 Kia Sephia with about 100,000 for 1400. now I'm not a huge expert with cars but these both are valued at about 1.2k less than the average private party (and that's if it's in bad shape, both ads say the run great).

Now I'll be crazy happy with either one, but what I've heard generally is that Japanese cars are built better than American and get more mpg. However, my dad does NOT want to buy a Japanese car, basically because he works at GM (big car company, doing bad now). I tried to explain to him that because it's a used car, it's not going to fucking matter, the money goes to the economy either way. My questions are:

1. Would that Kia be a better deal? Does the Japanese > American policy extend back to '99?

2. Is there some other disadvantage to buying a foreign car? i.e. is it harder to repair or something?

3. Are they good deals?

he already called twice on the Riviera, it was still in the paper today, but a speedy answer would be appreciated.

Don't buy Japanese. They do last a while. MPG doesn't differ between american and japanese, it differs between models. But American cars are so much cheaper to fix and easier if you're doing it yourself. Plus, when a Japanese car falls out, it's likely to be something important that's screwing up. Something like a Ford? It's always something annoying, like the power windows or something you don't need. Mazda? Your transmission will be in your lap.

+rei+    34352

3. Are they good deals?

Don't buy Japanese. They do last a while. MPG doesn't differ between american and japanese, it differs between models. But American cars are so much cheaper to fix and easier if you're doing it yourself. Plus, when a Japanese car falls out, it's likely to be something important that's screwing up. Something like a Ford? It's always something annoying, like the power windows or something you don't need. Mazda? Your transmission will be in your lap.

Im surprised two cars made at the SAME PLANT will have such finnicy differences.

Also: You're an idiot.

3. Are they good deals?

Im surprised two cars made at the SAME PLANT will have such finnicy differences.

Also: You're an idiot.

Talking about old Mazdas are crappy. And I also wasn't referencing Mazda as being Japanese, just so you know.

+rei+    34352

And yet you're STILL wrong. go figure.

And yet you're STILL wrong. go figure.

How am I wrong?

Old Mazdas are damned terrible. My dad drives one from '97 and it's broken down at least 4 times, and every time it was something that the car couldn't run without. His Explorer? It's from '89 and still moves. Most of it, anyway.

+rei+    34352

So in other words you're using one peice of anecdotal evidence as a broad governing statement.

In 97 that Mazda was likely built at a ford plant which is a bit of a crux to your argument.

+rei+    34352

I wont deny that in the past they were; when ford was pumping them out and doing most of the R/D, but any criticism of Mazda then also applies to FMC.

Since 1997 they've restructured and put out a solid product. They still make the best roadster in the world for the money and their subcompact rapes its competition.

+rei+    34352

Both plants were effectively comingling workers, i think it came down to pre-design marketting who got what, and a lot of them overlapped, like the 1991 explorer was rebadged a mazda.

Model    864

I swear to god if this vegil faggot posts in my sub forum again i'm going to fucking flip.