Sign in to follow this  
Indignation

Underrated REALLY good PSP games

Indignation    2858

I had decided to broaden my gaming from RPGs again and go back to the stuff I used to play.

These are all really good and I'm surprised how underrated many of them are. If you have a PSP you should definitly try some of these best handheld games for their genre.

Shooting:

Medal of Honor Heros

Medal of Honor Heros 2 (fucking great!)

Call of Duty: Roads to Victory

Brothers in Arms D-Day

Racing:

Burnout Legends

Burnout Dominator (OMG AMAZING)

FlatOut: Head On (AMAZING)

Midnight Club: LA Remix (YES!)

Test Drive Unlimited

Need for Speed Carbon: Own the City

Wipeout Pure

Wipeout Pulse

Ridge Racer

Ridge Racer 2 (I liked the first better but it's still pretty good and fun)

Car Wreckers:

Twisted Metal: Head On (a little hard at first but get's amazing when your used to the controls)

Idunno what to place it in:

Metal Gear Acid

Metal Gear Acid 2

Patapon

Fighting:

Guilty Gear Judgment (YES!)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX (fuck yeah!)

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

Tekken: Dark Ressurection (REALLY GOOD)

Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai

Mortal Kombat: Unchained

Action:

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (just started it but it's great so far)

Prince of Persia Revelations

Prince of Persia Rival Swords (haven't played it yet but my friend says it's better than Revelations so it must be good XD)

Tactical RPG: No need to put much, FFT, Disgaea etc

RPGs: you all know already most of them. I will say Dragoneers Aria is severely underrated if you can get over the sissy main character.

I haven't tried Adventure, Sports or Tony Hawk games yet.

Gary Oak    846

Patapon and LocoRoco have to be on those lists since they were 2 of the best games of '08 for the platform.

»Farley    1035

LocoRoco was 06 (The sequel was 08) and I was gonna make the same post but I think he was just referring to specific genres.

Indignation    2858

I forgot patapon! I forgot to add it because I didn't think it was really underrated. It's definitly the most inoovative game I've played in a loooooong time. I haven't played Loco Roco. There still MANY more games I have to play that are good so I'll update when I play them

Gary Oak    846
LocoRoco was 06 (The sequel was 08) and I was gonna make the same post but I think he was just referring to specific genres.

Sorry I meant the sequal I was just quick typing =].

I think Patapon isnt actually that well known, well atleast in my gaming circles thats why I posted that.

»Farley    1035

Patapon deserves a lot of praise. But I really don't think a lot of people would of picked it up.

Oh and Indignation its genre its a music/rhythm games.

▲Ɐ▲    3878

I haven't played Disgaea on PSP yet. I must change this.

Also, Every Extend Extra is wonderful.

▲Ɐ▲    3878

A shoot-em-up where you don't shoot; rather you have to blow up your ship close to a series of enemies. The idea is to blow a load up, cause a chain reaction of explosions and get a high score. You get a set limit of detonations per level, and can gain an extra one after attaining a certain score. There's a bit of Rez-esque synaesthesia, and a steep difficulty curve. Did I mention it was fun?

Indignation    2858

thats quite sad. You should sell it to someone who can make more use out of it unless you just play lumines all the time.

Matt Bishop    2377

How is that sad? There really aren't very many "great" games on PSP, and half of the ones you listed are either ports of games released on a console with downgraded graphics, or just plain suck. Midnight Club (are you kidding?), Revelations was horrible, making a presumption about a game that it is good because the previous one was good is just stupid. Both Metal Gear Acids seemed useless to me. Flatout is shit. Call of Duty is retarded on the console with auto-aim. Test Drive? ROFL

Shooting:

Medal of Honor Heros

Medal of Honor Heros 2 (fucking great!)

Racing:

Burnout Legends

Burnout Dominator (OMG AMAZING)

Need for Speed Carbon: Own the City

Wipeout Pure

Wipeout Pulse

Ridge Racer

Ridge Racer 2 (I liked the first better but it's still pretty good and fun)

Car Wreckers:

Twisted Metal: Head On (a little hard at first but get's amazing when your used to the controls)

Idunno what to place it in:

Patapon

Fighting:

Guilty Gear Judgment (YES!)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX (fuck yeah!)

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

Tekken: Dark Ressurection (REALLY GOOD)

Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai

Mortal Kombat: Unchained

Action:

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (just started it but it's great so far)

Prince of Persia Revelations

Portable Ops is good but far from underrated, Tekken is good although it basically just a port of Tekken 5 and is far from "Underrated", Unchained is basically a port of Armageddon, Shin Budokai is a port of any other Budokai game, Burnouts are both ports, I haven't played Guilty Gear but I heard it was short and hard to control, Street Fighter is decent, Darkstalkers I haven't played but this is the type of "underrated" game that should be on the list.

Not trying to chirp your taste in video games but honestly the PSP is a system with very few exclusives that has a whole fuckload of games rehashed onto it from PS2. It is stuck between deciding whether or not it wants to be a handheld gaming platform or an iPod. =\

Indignation    2858

Your forgetting something. There is absolutly nothing wrong with ports from ps2/ps3. You can't play with console on the go. So even if there are similar games/ports/ near ports from consoles on the psp they are still good especially on the bus/subway or on the go. I would say 90% of psp games are underrated. Before they even come out and some times before even gameplay is known they are pounded by haters on gamefaqs.

It's funny because I remember people saying things like I wish we had "ps2 game name here" on psp. Then we get them and many enjoy them, then people still complain. The only reason psp doesn't get as many games as we would expect is because of the hacking (I hate to admit it). Hacking probably takes at least 30-40% of sales. At my college I don't think there is one person who's psp is not hacked. I still buy my games when I can and especially the ones I really like like Armored Core Formula Front.

AC: Formula Front got destroyed on the forums saying it's only AI that control your AC so it's basically making an AI controlled AC. Well I bought it last year for 15$ just because I'm an AC fan and guess what. You can play instead of the AI. I couldn't believe how long a rumor such as that can go and ruin a game.

Matt Bishop    2377

Perhaps making a game that is meant to be on a handheld instead of asking me to play something I already have? For instance, if they had made a completely new Tekken game (its funny that Tekken is one of the best games on the console), or perhaps if they had made a new Burnout or a new Twisted Metal instead of just downgrading the graphics and porting the old game and calling it something new. Even if you discount software sales from the hacking, the actual console still sells far less than the DS. Not to mention it doesn't take a whole lot to get an R4 and hack your DS. I don't have any of my consoles hacked, and I would prefer to pay for games to play them, then have companies that I enjoy seeing make video games not make games for a console because of the vast amount of hacking/pirating that people do to them.

Dreamer    1

I've been thoroughly disappointed with every PSP game I've ever played except the port of Tales of Eternia or any other good port for that matter.

»Duo    1

Has nobody played Crush?

Matt Bishop    2377
Has nobody played Crush?

I have, and Crush is a very good underrated PSP game.

Fridge, you don't like Patapon?!

»Farley    1035

No Dreamer said pretty much that all PSP games are rubbish. I used Patapon as an example of an excellent PSP game. I love Patapon lol.