Farley

What games are you currently playing?

Aaron    2065

im playing planescape torment.

on one hand i really love the quality of the dialogue. on another i fucking hate the gameplay, navigation and how unclear it is on what to do in specific circumstances and the illusion of choice (when i goggle theres only one path towards some major plot related objectives involving shitty side quest related missions). 

Aaron    2065
On 23/10/2019 at 0:11 PM, Urthor said:

Disco Elysium is one of the best games ever.  One of my most enjoyed by far

i might buy this on ur recc. 

just not sure if i should play tactics ogre before it first. i played it for like 5 mins and just think i will love it. 

Aaron    2065

finished planescape torment

story 10

characters 9

diaglouge choices 10

gameplay otherwise 3

graphics 4

If i was to summarise it in one sentance;  An excellent story with a beautiful cast of characters in an imaginative setting and excellent dialogue choices; but marred by poor combat, navigation, graphics and gameplay. 

I don't think the characterisation reached trails in the sky levels which is still holding he bar for me but it was very close.

»Tygo    14142

Shield has me in a fucking vice. The grind to getting a proper competitive team and even alternatives was a cake walk with raids and hyper training. Next is learning to RV train and I hear there's a shortcut for that to. 

Aaron    2065

rdr2

its sick. not sure if its a good game but its a sick experience of being a cowboy. 

+rei+    35016

Im about six hours into Vesperia, I'm liking it mainly as Estelle is top tier waifu material and i ship her with Rita so hard

»Tygo    14142

Rumors hit about FFX-3.......... am I going to have to actually finish X-2 now? Ugh.

»S l o x    5

Swapping around between World of Warcraft retail, League of Legends, and MTG Arena

Aaron    2065

ok it back on rdr2. now 60 hours in and i really underplayed it. its just incredible. its storytelling is beautiful, side mission variation is awesome, visually phenomenal and the world is so absorbing for a game which doesnt have a lot of outside cutscene npc dialogue. 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    35016

Ive bounced back to my new game + of persona 5

dunno if i'll beat the entire game before going back to vesperia or yakuza 0 but i just wanna max out a bunch of shit i didnt last time 

+rei+    35016

also @Aaron you've played p4 and p5 so gotta ask

best girl in each one? 

Aaron    2065

@rei haven't played p5 as i read they are releasing a final/new version soon so i thought i'd jump in on that.

p4 favorite girl rise just cos her boss battle was sexy af and shes evidently a secret nymph/exhibitionist.

whos urs?

is the jump from P4 to P5 good quality wise?

P4 started to bore me near the end which is why I'd ideally want to play persona games via some form of portable means but oh well.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    35016

Chie in p4, and Futaba in p5... though I mean Futaba is very much a self reflection of myself so...

oh wow i thought you'd played p5

The updated rerelease comes out in March - I'm actually kind of concerned that it changes some key details but ive been mostly spoiler free on it. The intro theme is def worse. 

Major differences:

Style - the dungeons aren't randomized any more, they're all unique dungeons with their own puzzles and layouts, so they have a lot more depth and a lot less tedium of 'climb the floors' - that random element exists as a semi-optional grinding and sidequest area which I think works really well

Beyond that the game is a lot more aesthetically cool - it's got its own style that works really really well. Oh and they bound all the combat to face buttons on the controller so no more excessive menu scrolling. a lot of quality of life perks added through confidant (social link) perks too that are nice 

Social links are more involved with the player (more combat/going to mementos and shit) but i feel less intertwined with the main plot

There are adults to date! (Three!) 

The endgame is exciting and gripping and it wont bore you, but there is a kind of shitty plot thread in the late midgame that feels like a filler arc. 

Most of the voice acting is good, but repeated lines can get draining, especially from Morgana (this game's Teddie basically - I like Morgana's role and story more though) 

there are some nice easter eggs from p4 but nothing too glaring. i wont spoil most of em but the most obvious is seeing an ad for a new Risette album in the subway which is always cool. Having played P4 will give you a hint to a story detail in ak ind of cool way too. 

The music is cooler in p5 - more like acid jazz than the jpop of 4 - the main nighttime theme "Beneath the Mask" and battle theme "Last Surprise" are good samples of what I mean 

I feel like social links in 4 were more tied to the main game than confidants and that's pretty much the main big point in 4s favour over five, i think 5 does almost everything else better except the filler arc 

»S l o x    5
16 hours ago, Metal Gear Salad said:

death stranding, csgo and melee still

How is Death Stranding?

I haven't played P5. My brother picked it up but I sold off my playstation before getting the chance to try it out unfortunately. 

I'm really looking forward to the Wolcen release later this month. I've been waiting at least a year for this game and it looks really promising.

Death Stranding is good but as with all Kojima games I'd rather just watch someone good play them rather than myself.

Haven't played in a few weeks mind you. 

»S l o x    5

Fair enough. I'm that way with horror games. I'd rather sit and watch someone play them and treat it like a movie rather than play them myself.

I've been looking for something to kill some time when I'm not busy and I don't feel like playing MTG/LoL so I'm going to pick up Zombie Army 4 today and give it a shot.

Aaron    2065

Black Mesa in preparation for HL Alyx. 

I can't believe how dumbed down video games are now. This game is literally causing me to have to google a walkthrough every so often because I've been conditioned to first person shooters (which aren't RPGs) being easy AF. Really sweet. 

I did try to play HL1 in VR but the graphics were too gross for me (sorry). 

+Urthor    10236

Will of the Wisps and Trails from Zero on PC came out and I just went from zero games to play to way too many

+rei+    35016

Ion Fury, FF8, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and Yakuza 0 all more or less at the same time

prob gonna drop ion fury and yakuza 0 got what i wanted out of them - kind of want to start up the halo 1 remaster as i have it on gamepass and already fucekd around with it; buddy wants me to try Gears 5 as well and might because 'why not its on gamepass' 

»S l o x    5

I've been playing quite a bit of Warzone and the new Path of Exile league. Waiting for the new DOOM to release and I'll be playing that. I've also downloaded Ni No Kuni II and plan on playing that when I have the time.

+rei+    35016

Persona 5 Royal is tickling my happy places 

and i dont even have most of the best girls yet 

Aaron    2065
On 4/1/2020 at 7:31 AM, rei said:

Persona 5 Royal is tickling my happy places 

and i dont even have most of the best girls yet 

This is on my list!!

I've deciced I am a JRPG fiend. Tried to play Disco Elysium but for now, just can't seem to properly get into it. The dialogue just seems so unsatisfying and unnatural despite it being reviewed crazily high.

I've played:

Black Mesa: Distinctly average. Some good level design but HL1 has not aged well. The gameplay sucks. 

Half Life 2: It was okay. Overrated, hasn't aged well from a gameplay perspective. 

HL1+2 episodes: Episode 2 was good. 

in preparation for HLA. In short, I was expecting my mind to be blown but these 3 games have aged poorly. I'm a fan of older games (my fav games are fft and trails fc/sc) so i dont think its my tolerance to crap graphics. 

Just completed Trails in the Sky Third Chapter. sick game, good soundtrack, but the story was very very basic. dungeon crawling with flashbacks at the start and end of the chapters. a step backwards in storytelling but its cast and world building is just so ridiculously OP that the game just rode on its excellent character designs and still ended up being a good experience.

also the renne backstory was HEARTBREAKING. 

you will never see anything like it (youtube it if ur interested, renne star door 15 ; TLDR she is a young girl part of an evil organisation of super villains and shes loyal to them.. thats all u need to know to watch it. 

My list to get through:

Trails from Zero (fan translation)

Trails from Zero AO (crap fan translation) 

Trails Cold Steel 3 (im so hyped for this)

Persona 5 Royal 

Dragon Quest 

Im not sure whether to play P5R before CS3 and I personally think I'll prefer CS3 to P5R and dont want it to be too difficult to follow. 

I've also started Half Life Alyx. Its legit. 

+rei+    35016

ill agree with you on HL1 and E1, i think HL2's only aging issue is the vehicle segments