Ocelot

Anime/Manga Recommendations

»Marzy    28

I've seen Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. I enjoyed it ok, but it wasn't anything so spectacular that I would recommend it to everyone and their mother. Dunno anything about the other two, but based solely off of the descriptions, I'm not entirely sold either.

dpwp12hv0.jpg

Desert Punk is something I thoroughly enjoyed though. It's a GONZO production, and the look of it is pretty standard for the company. The setting is clearly post-apocalyptic desert wasteland, but the backgrounds and art are well done and generally pleasing to look at, or at least not an eyesore. The characters and gear are sharply done and generally well researched, it was never so over the top or ridiculous that I ever thought "What the fuck?" because of what they're toting.

The main character has to be among the biggest bastards I have ever seen in anime leads. He is willing to play dirty, makes no bones about what he wants, never feels bad about taunting a guy or kicking him while he is down, and takes the typical male weakness for breasts and milks it for everything it is worth and then some. The guy gets away with it by being the best, and the scenes that illustrate this are quite well done. The series shows all of this off from the beginning. I never found myself bored watching it, that was for sure.

If nothing else, seeing a guy Hulk out because someone said his mother had an outie is definitely worth seeing.

»infinite    2317

Desert Punk was amazing.

If nothing else, seeing a guy Hulk out because someone said his mother had an outie is definitely worth seeing.

lol

Since I'm bored I figure I recommend something myself.

Parasyte aka Kiseijuu

Manga, Seinen/Horror, 1990 – 1995

000mf9.jpg

The plot centers around a teenage boy named Shinichi Izumi who's quiet little suburban neighborhood is invaded by aliens who just happen to be parasites. The parasite are worm like creature who try to enter their human host through their nose or ears and take over their brains. Luckily our protagonist, Shinichi, was able to avoid this fate due to his head phones blocking his ears the parasite then jumps into his right arm taking it over. The parasite, who now wants to be called Migi which is Japanese for right, and Shinichi maintains their own separate consciousness. One of the things I enjoyed about the Manga was the relationship between the two. It like a forced partnership, these guys are forced to work together because they now share common goals. They often clash however, Migi personality directly contrasts Shinichi's one point in the series; Migi is calm, calculating and very intelligent while Shinichi's actions may seem rash and he's never really too sure of him self or who he is any more. Its fun watching what themes the writers can explore with these two.

At first it seems like a horror manga, the Parasite have an appetite for human flesh you see. Since they appear to look human they can blend in with our society and start doing their deeds in the shadows. Another interesting bit about the parasites is that they are able to morph their limbs into deadly blade like weapons or wings. The parasite commits very grotesque murders it's all very graphic. A murder spree sweeps the city and our heroes Shinichi and Migi now what's really happening. But our heroes are now being targeted by parasites because Shinichi still posses his own brain. Deemed to dangerous to live the parasites somehow get to Shinichi's family and friends and it all gets very interesting from there.

Switching from horror to super hero, Shinichi takes it upon himself to fight off the parasite invasion and stop the "butcherings" its almost like he's a super hero using his abilities to defend us from the parasites while hiding his identity in the process. This makes for truly epic clashes between Team Shinichi/Migi and the parasites who are also evolving, some of the battles are the highlight of the series its all very satisfying. What I love about this Manga as well is the way it develops its characters. Shinichi starts off as a compassionate young boy but once the parasite invades his arm his life turns up side down. Shinichi becomes confuse as to what he is due to an increase in violent tendencies. He wonders if Migi invaded his brain at one point which isn't possible. He also notices a lack of emotion in him self, they make a big deal about him not being able to cry for a long stretch. Migi becomes the voice of reason guiding Shinichi to make rational decisions All the while most of the parasites are becoming more sophisticated completely changing the way they due business (even some get involve with politics.) The overall theme here is who is really the monster? Parasite eat humans out of their nature but human beings wrong each other and the planet for much more selfish reasons. This is further reflected with a character we meet late in the series. Its a very powerful message given here which is why I recommend parasite. The only bad I can dig up is the art may seem a bit ugly for some but this came out in 1990 so what ever. Shit is good read it.

Guru    736

I just recently started watching Beck and its fucking awesome.

I haven't really posted in here so here we go.

#10 Toradora!

toradora.jpg

Toradora!'s story begins with the male protagonist Ryūji Takasu who is frustrated at trying to look his best as he enters his second year of high school. Despite his gentle personality, his eyes make him look like an intimidating delinquent, so he is utterly hopeless about his chances of getting a girlfriend anytime soon, and does not have many close friends either. After being greeted by his hungover mother in the morning, Ryūji goes to school and is happy to find that he gets to be in the same class with his best friend Yūsaku Kitamura and a girl he has a crush on, Minori Kushieda. However, it is then that he unexpectedly knocks into "the school's most dangerous animal of the highest risk level"—Taiga Aisaka—who just happens to also be in his class, and is a good friend of Minori.

Taiga has a negative attitude towards others and will not hesitate to snap at people. After meeting Ryūji, she takes an instant dislike of him. Taiga comes from a rich family, but she has moved out to live on her own due to family issues. She is coincidentally living in an apartment next to Ryūji's. When Ryūji discovers that Taiga has a crush on Yūsaku, and Taiga finds out about Ryūji's affections towards Minori, Ryūji suggests that they cooperate to win the objects of their affections.

If you like Comedy animes, this is one of the greatest ones ever made. Not only is it insanely funny but it actually has a great story, cool characters, upbeat music, very talented voice actors, pretty much it's amazing in every aspect of the word. Highly recommended.

Desert Punk was amazing.

lol

Since I'm bored I figure I recommend something myself.

Parasyte aka Kiseijuu

Manga, Seinen/Horror, 1990 – 1995

000mf9.jpg

The plot centers around a teenage boy named Shinichi Izumi who's quiet little suburban neighborhood is invaded by aliens who just happen to be parasites. The parasite are worm like creature who try to enter their human host through their nose or ears and take over their brains. Luckily our protagonist, Shinichi, was able to avoid this fate due to his head phones blocking his ears the parasite then jumps into his right arm taking it over. The parasite, who now wants to be called Migi which is Japanese for right, and Shinichi maintains their own separate consciousness. One of the things I enjoyed about the Manga was the relationship between the two. It like a forced partnership, these guys are forced to work together because they now share common goals. They often clash however, Migi personality directly contrasts Shinichi's one point in the series; Migi is calm, calculating and very intelligent while Shinichi's actions may seem rash and he's never really too sure of him self or who he is any more. Its fun watching what themes the writers can explore with these two.

At first it seems like a horror manga, the Parasite have an appetite for human flesh you see. Since they appear to look human they can blend in with our society and start doing their deeds in the shadows. Another interesting bit about the parasites is that they are able to morph their limbs into deadly blade like weapons or wings. The parasite commits very grotesque murders it's all very graphic. A murder spree sweeps the city and our heroes Shinichi and Migi now what's really happening. But our heroes are now being targeted by parasites because Shinichi still posses his own brain. Deemed to dangerous to live the parasites somehow get to Shinichi's family and friends and it all gets very interesting from there.

Switching from horror to super hero, Shinichi takes it upon himself to fight off the parasite invasion and stop the "butcherings" its almost like he's a super hero using his abilities to defend us from the parasites while hiding his identity in the process. This makes for truly epic clashes between Team Shinichi/Migi and the parasites who are also evolving, some of the battles are the highlight of the series its all very satisfying. What I love about this Manga as well is the way it develops its characters. Shinichi starts off as a compassionate young boy but once the parasite invades his arm his life turns up side down. Shinichi becomes confuse as to what he is due to an increase in violent tendencies. He wonders if Migi invaded his brain at one point which isn't possible. He also notices a lack of emotion in him self, they make a big deal about him not being able to cry for a long stretch. Migi becomes the voice of reason guiding Shinichi to make rational decisions All the while most of the parasites are becoming more sophisticated completely changing the way they due business (even some get involve with politics.) The overall theme here is who is really the monster? Parasite eat humans out of their nature but human beings wrong each other and the planet for much more selfish reasons. This is further reflected with a character we meet late in the series. Its a very powerful message given here which is why I recommend parasite. The only bad I can dig up is the art may seem a bit ugly for some but this came out in 1990 so what ever. Shit is good read it.

Parasyte is amazing

Right now I definitely recommend MPD Psycho

Trickonometry    109
I just recently started watching Beck and its fucking awesome.

I haven't really posted in here so here we go.

#10 Toradora!

9949.jpg

Toradora!'s story begins with the male protagonist Ryūji Takasu who is frustrated at trying to look his best as he enters his second year of high school. Despite his gentle personality, his eyes make him look like an intimidating delinquent, so he is utterly hopeless about his chances of getting a girlfriend anytime soon, and does not have many close friends either. After being greeted by his hungover mother in the morning, Ryūji goes to school and is happy to find that he gets to be in the same class with his best friend Yūsaku Kitamura and a girl he has a crush on, Minori Kushieda. However, it is then that he unexpectedly knocks into "the school's most dangerous animal of the highest risk level"—Taiga Aisaka—who just happens to also be in his class, and is a good friend of Minori.

Taiga has a negative attitude towards others and will not hesitate to snap at people. After meeting Ryūji, she takes an instant dislike of him. Taiga comes from a rich family, but she has moved out to live on her own due to family issues. She is coincidentally living in an apartment next to Ryūji's. When Ryūji discovers that Taiga has a crush on Yūsaku, and Taiga finds out about Ryūji's affections towards Minori, Ryūji suggests that they cooperate to win the objects of their affections.

If you like Comedy animes, this is one of the greatest ones ever made. Not only is it insanely funny but it actually has a great story, cool characters, upbeat music, very talented voice actors, pretty much it's amazing in every aspect of the word. Highly recommended.

everyone watch TORA DORA

show is amazing :)

BlitZ    0

Someone wanna do a write up for Full Metal Panic (I'm too lazy), that anime is awesome.

mmm I think is good

Black jack cause is about medicine and doctors and is normally there is not fiction

K-on

Toradora FTW

• Downvote 2

+rei+    34637

No one gives a shit about what you think is good.

▲Ɐ▲    3878

ocelot have you seen mononoke

if not why not

Blitzkrieg    214

2w6fj92.jpg

Did anyone remember this one?

▲Ɐ▲    3878

azumanga daioh (really you should have seen this)

pani poni dash!

i think k-on is lost on me. i cant grasp a show where nothing happens that i find to be devoid of competent humour

Seduction    56

I guess ill check those out then.

I love K-On!! I dont really get why I love it tbh but still :D

Knight64    1

You guys working out of a specific Genre or whatever you think is tight? If the later...

black-lagoon-episodes.jpg

+Black Lagoon (Shit is tight.)

Okajima Rokuro is a Japanese businessman…in a town full of Japanese businessmen. His normal day consists of social drinking with clients and being kicked around by his bosses. He finally gets a break though, as he’s sent by his company to the tropical seas of Eastern China to deliver a disc…only his boat gets hijacked by a band of mercenaries that were hired to steal it. “Rock” (as he is newly dubbed by his captors) catches the interest of the only female merc “Revy” as she thinks he’s worth a ransom, taking him hostage. However, the disc turns out to be more trouble than its worth, and complicates things both for Rock, and the mercenaries known as Black Lagoon.

Genres: action, drama, psychological.

death-note-episodes.jpg

+Death Note

Yagami Light is an ace student with great prospects, who’s bored out of his mind. One day he finds the “Death Note”: a notebook from the realm of the Death Gods, with the power to kill people in any way he desires. With the Death Note in hand, Light decides to create his perfect world, without crime or criminals. However, when criminals start dropping dead one by one, the authorites send the legendary detective L to track down the killer, and a battle of wits, deception and logic ensues…

Genres: drama, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller.

samurai-champloo-episodes.jpg

+Samurai Champloo

Mugen is a fierce animal-like warrior with a unique Bboying (break-dance) inspired fighting style. Jin has a more traditional style but don’t think of this as a weakness because his skills are amazing. The two contrasting samurai warriors are far from friends, yet their separate paths seem to cross anyways. Mugen is wandering aimlessly through the city when he stumbles upon a teahouse where he meets Jin and Fuu (A ditzy waitress, but don‘t think she doesn‘t have anything hidden up her sleeves). Fuu convinces them both to come with her in search of a mysterious samurai that smells like sunflowers and their journey begins. This modernized hip-hop tale breaks the barriers of the common, historical, samurai anime.

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama.

darker-than-black-episodes.jpg

+Darker than Black

In Tokyo, an impenetrable field known as “Hell’s Gate” appeared ten years ago. At the same time, psychics who wield paranormal powers at the cost of their conscience also emerged. Hei is one of the most powerful of these psychic agents, and along with his blind associate, Yin, works for one of the many rival agencies vying to unlock the mysteries of Hell’s Gate.

Genres: adventure, drama, mystery, science fiction, supernatural.

code-geass-episodes.jpg

+Code Geass (Ending Sucks but w/e...)

The Empire of Britannia has invaded Japan using giant robot weapons called Knightmare Frames. Japan is now referred to as Area 11, and its people the 11’s. A Britannian who was living in Japan at the time, Lelouch, vowed to his Japanese friend Suzaku that he’d destroy Britannia. Years later, Lelouch is in high school, but regularly skips out of school to go play chess and gamble on himself. One day, he stumbles on terrorists 11’s who’ve stolen a military secret and is caught by a member of the Britannian task force sent after them, who is Suzaku. As the rest of the squad arrives, Suzaku is shot for disobeying orders, while the military secret, a young girl, gives Lelouch the power of Geass, which makes anyone obey any order. While Suzaku is secretly made the pilot of Britannia’s brand new prototype Knightmare, Lancelot, Lelouch becomes the masked Zero to lead the rebellion to destroy Britannia once and for all.

Genres: action, drama, psychological, science fiction, supernatural, mecha.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BiPi    1032

everything was okay until Code Geass.

▲Ɐ▲    3878

thanks for taking the time to ctrl-c and ctrl-v from ANN/MAL bro

Knight64    1

I just suggested some shit don't like... Oh well? Want me to do more than copy + paste? Pay me...

And yeah... I agree I didn't like how they did Season 2 of Geass... I hear they are making an Ova though... To many fans bitched about the ending...

• Downvote 1

So what is that gets you interested in an anime? Epic plots? Great Artwork? Great OP/ED? Epic characters? Well this anime has all that and more. It is Fabulous with a capital F. Every week this kept fans on the edge of their seat begging for more. It was so popular in Japan that even a year after the finale fans still wanted more so the production company is planned a special expo just for it (in which hopefully they will give us info about a new season). This show imo had some of the most theatrical and epic moments and memes in anime history. If you like great artwork music cliff hangers and pretty much everything that makes anime so fucking good than I'll leave you with these words, Lelouch Vi Brittania Commands You

Watch

#10 Code Geass

I still lol at this

Keslurk    1

So what is that gets you interested in an anime? Epic plots? Great Artwork? Great OP/ED? Epic characters? Well this anime has all that and more. It is Fabulous with a capital F. Every week this kept fans on the edge of their seat begging for more. It was so popular in Japan that even a year after the finale fans still wanted more so the production company is planned a special expo just for it (in which hopefully they will give us info about a new season). This show imo had some of the most theatrical and epic moments and memes in anime history. If you like great artwork music cliff hangers and pretty much everything that makes anime so fucking good than I'll leave you with these words, Lelouch Vi Brittania Commands You

Watch

#10 Code Geass

I still lol at this

*looks at avatar*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Watch

#10 Code Geass

I still lol at this

*looks at avatar*

shut up faggot

• Downvote 1

Keslurk    1

Watch

#10 Code Geass

I still lol at this

*looks at avatar*

shut up faggot

Can't handle the fact that you and shadowstalker are exactly the same? His praise for Code Geass is probably exactly how you praise One Piece. Both are sub par and nothing is wrong with that. I just don't see how what I said makes me a faggot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Laser Cat    5610

Watch

#10 Code Geass

I still lol at this

*looks at avatar*

shut up faggot

Can't handle the fact that you and shadowstalker are exactly the same? His praise for Code Geass is probably exactly how you praise One Piece. Both are sub par and nothing is wrong with that. I just don't see how what I said makes me a faggot.

Difference is one piece is actually good for a shounen. Code geass is nothing but fan service and a wannabe death note/mecha merge. One piece (other than the fact that it falls for many shounen traps) has a solid story and unlike code geass, doesn't try to present itself as something deeper than what it actually is.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1