Ocelot

Anime/Manga Recommendations

The chosen Juan    1379

Yo, animu friends! I need your help for a friend of mine.

He wishes to watch Pretty Cure, but we can't find it english subbed anywhere. Any of you can link me to a place where he can watch/download it?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

+rei+    34516

Mirai Nikki was a complete mess.

one sec contractual obligation

[spoiler]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_fgwbmJg0
[/spoiler]
  • Upvote 2

Faint    5726

so uh I know this topic is like a year old, but suggestions would be welcome

i've never really watched anime before (besides pokemon and digimon and dragonball z and shit) and I've recently watched both Shaman King and Attack on Titan and LOVED them both. any recommendations? friend keeps telling me to watch Death Note, is it any good? total anime noob speaking here btw

TFJ    618
Death Note is good.
People like Jojo Bizzarre Adventure, matches your tastes.
I enjoy sports anime (either come from behind always, or prodigy)

Telvin123    387
Death Note is amazing, especially as one of the first things you watch.

If you like a certain genre, I can recommend several things pertaining to that. Or if you prefer, I can list a bunch of the greats/masterpieces/popular ones lol

»Flacko    2145
Okay so um

A few friends of mine have been wanting me to get back into anime. I really like anime just I hate a lot of it too. Like, I could never sit though some kind if slice of life shit or something like, all upbeat and super happy and shit unless it had killer story or was very serious. Usually the only way I can deal with all of this is if it had some supremely good fan service. Like, I'm not into super weeby stuff and I hate cliches. I'll list some animes that I liked so that you could get an idea of what I like.

Hellsing Ultimate

Fullmetal Alchemist & FMAB

Trigun

FL CL

Space Dandy

Death Note (which could have ended a lot better tbh, actually a few of these could have ended better)

Psycho Pass

Cowboy Bebop

I'm pretty sure that's good. Any recommendations?

HououinKyouma    802

Okay so um

A few friends of mine have been wanting me to get back into anime. I really like anime just I hate a lot of it too. Like, I could never sit though some kind if slice of life shit or something like, all upbeat and super happy and shit unless it had killer story or was very serious. Usually the only way I can deal with all of this is if it had some supremely good fan service. Like, I'm not into super weeby stuff and I hate cliches. I'll list some animes that I liked so that you could get an idea of what I like.

Hellsing Ultimate

Fullmetal Alchemist & FMAB

Trigun

FL CL

Space Dandy

Death Note (which could have ended a lot better tbh, actually a few of these could have ended better)

Psycho Pass

Cowboy Bebop

I'm pretty sure that's good. Any recommendations?

Baccano!

Ping Pong the Animation

Evangelion

Akira

Gits

Lain

Jinroh

Fate/Zero (Ignore all other Fate shit unless you want to watch Carnival Phantasm)

Kara no Kyoukai

Monogatari

Steins;Gate

Bokurano

Mushishi

Kino's Journey

If you think sol is shit than you've watched shitty sol like k-on or whatever else kyoani has hased out in the last few years. Try some of these to see if you actually dislike sol or you have just gotten shitty recs in the past.

Barakamon

Nichijou

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

Dennou Coil

Haibane Renmei

Sora no Woto

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

i've never really watched anime before (besides pokemon and digimon and dragonball z and shit) and I've recently watched both Shaman King and Attack on Titan and LOVED them both. any recommendations? friend keeps telling me to watch Death Note, is it any good? total anime noob speaking here btw

Watch the shit Ocelot recommended at the beginning of this thread. There's like 7 things there and they're all great.

»Flacko    2145
Which one of those on that list should I watch the most? That's a long list. Something more adult please.

Candela    546

i need an anime series/movie that will force me to think and leave me questioning life

emotional draining is a plus too - something such as madoka or kara no kyoukai

Telvin123    387

Once again, Rainbow and Monster can accomplish that for ya.

- The Monogatari series, as well as Katanagatari, both possess a lot of exposition, and unlike most anime, the conversations that are held actually feel pretty realistic and stimulating, albeit a little wordy at times. Katanagatari is shorter though (Well each of the 12 episodes is an hour, but meh), and is already completed.

- Then there's stuff like Shiki and Parasyte, which basically asks the question of how good humanity is, why do we hold ourselves more in higher regard than other living creatures, are we the actual "bad guys", etc. Shiki does a better job though imo

- Ping Pong the Animation, probably the epitome of character development in a sports anime, at least from the ones I've watched so far. Its a unique take on an sports anime, in that instead of it being generic shounen type stuff like Kuroko or presents an underdog that slowly rises to victory like Ippo, it instead deeply analyzes the characters that play it. What does the sport mean to them? What does it mean to compete, and how can that change a person? What's the difference between the talented and those without it? And so on. Honestly I can't properly describe it in a short paragraph. You just have to watch it, and know that it takes its time in fleshing just about everyone out.

- Then on a lighter note, I guess you could also check out Teen Romantic SNAFU or w/e (Entire name is just way too long). The MC is unique in that he's quite isolated and pessimistic, has no friends, and with that means he accomplishes things in his own way. This show could've easily been another bland harem/harem-esque type of show, but it takes a deep look into the relationships that the characters have, and addresses the difficulty in maintaining a genuine relationship, among other things. I also like how it doesn't spell everything out for you. But yea, when I watched it, it easily reminded me of my own friendships, all the complexities they come with, etc. 

Candela    546
I've already watched most of those. I do need to finally watch Monster.

Aaron    2012

monster. slow starter but if u get into it, it is unparalleled in terms of anime. 

N e J i    902

Ping Pong the Animation, probably the epitome of character development in a sports anime, at least from the ones I've watched so far. Its a unique take on an sports anime, in that instead of it being generic shounen type stuff like Kuroko or presents an underdog that slowly rises to victory like Ippo, it instead deeply analyzes the characters that play it. What does the sport mean to them? What does it mean to compete, and how can that change a person? What's the difference between the talented and those without it? And so on. Honestly I can't properly describe it in a short paragraph. You just have to watch it, and know that it takes its time in fleshing just about everyone out.

Kuroko does all that, only in a more lighthearted way that's arguably much more fun and engaging. The real strength of PPTA is in its unique aesthetic.

Monet    1

If you like One Piece you will like Arslan Senki

(when you press enter then realize the last post was half a year ago)

Son-Kun    5

Have only watched dragon ball stuff and boku no hero. Looking for recommendations based on the fact I really enjoyed those.

Aaron    2012

I just finished seven deadly sins and up to date with re:zero

any recommendations?

considering montongari series.  ? 

Telvin123    387
42 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I just finished seven deadly sins and up to date with re:zero

any recommendations?

considering montongari series.  ? 

Monogatari is pretty great, though out of like practically every decent anime I've watched, I feel like it's a very hit or miss show. Imo you either love it or hate it. I consider it pretty good, but I'd understand if others felt it wasn't for them, due to the loads of dialogue it has. If you like it, you'd also like Katanagatari as well I'd imagine. (It's shorter too.)

From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori) is another good show that still lingers on my mind from time to time.

GeminiBlue    1

My top 5 (excluding NARUTO)

Bleach

Attack On Titan

Fairy Tail

Sword art Online

Akame Ga Kill

Others:

Gunsword

Eflin Lied

Log Horizon

Ruroni Kenshin

Hakuouki

Im considering starting Magi, Blue Exorcist, or Seven Deadly Sins

Still behind on Naruto and still watching fairytail, only got time for one more :P