Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragunity - Discussion

September 2011 Format Dragunity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

Randy

Randy

Have you read Claiomh Solais the Hazehawk?

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
We all know how to play around dw. Aside from the fact that most of the playing around involves ravine (already a problem with the deck), the dw player simply has to play his cards to screw you over. They have much more threatening cards and plays to us in their deck than we do theirs and as such you really need some luck or misplays to make up for it. A match up where you have to outplay and outdraw your opponent in order to have a chance of winning at all is not favorable.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

It's true that you can play around their field better than they can around yours, but the fact of the matter is that once they gotten their momentum rolling, they often don't care.
It's also true that usually Smog is sided, but that doesn't mean you WON'T see it game 1 sometimes, and games 2 and 3 are just as important.

And you won't be able to search for Crows if Skill Drain is on the board, let alone MAKE Gae Dearg. It's not like they don't have Dragged Down to deal with it either...

Dragged Down which makes even the Ravine in your hands not safe. Furthermore Mind Crush hits Ravine searches and Terraforming even without Dragged Down or Deck Devastation Virus to get them information.

Deck Devastation Virus which just happens to hit everything but Mystletainn, REDMD, Zephyros, and Drago. All of which are dead without another monster in hand.

Darkworlds is not a matchup that becomes a field war like with Gravekeepers. It is STILL a very, very bad matchup even if you keep Ravine and they never get Gates off.
So bad I'm seriously considering siding a pair of Gemini Imps in the side, or possibly 2 twister/dust tornado.

Maybe it's just that I've outplayed all of my Dark World matchups, and yes, Dragged down can hurt a hell of a lot, as can DDV. With DDV though, it won't hit things you search throughout the turn so Ravine plays into Dux still work fine and Dragged Down can't hurt you if you maneuver to the point that you have a Ravine and a Dux/Legionnaire in hand so they have to pick one or the other. If they pick the monster you make a Ravine play, if they pick the field you make a classic combo.

And on top of all of this, Dark World has seen a major decline in play after the hype of Long Beach and I'd expect to play maybe 1 at maximum 2 at Nationals, and more likely than not that will be in the lower rounds where outplaying your opponent will make a much bigger difference than whose deck has a better matchup against the other.

The deck definitely doesn't warrant things in the sidedeck purely for this matchup, S/T destruction, DD Crows, and Shadow Imprisoning should be fine. And if Dark World gets their momentum going most decks are screwed anyway, the deck steamrolls but a couple well-timed plays will stop them in their tracks and once thats happened the games over.

This deck can OTK extremely quickly and I've actually put in the 3rd Mystletainn to add to this, most times I wish I had at least one in hand, setup in the deck isn't incredibly hard to get, and ending a turn with Strike Bounzer and Stardust is just trollworthy. You stall out Dark World for 1 turn and you have a real shot at taking the game, as most Dark World decks I've played againstdon't put much into defensive plays.

Yes I know DDV doesn't hit cards you search for. But if they're already in your hand or you draw them, you're screwed. There's only so many in the deck, and any loss of hand advantage is a big deal.

And Ravine plays into Dux don't work if either Skill Drain or Dark Smog or anything as mundane as a torrential are on the field. Keep that in mind.

The decline in popularity of Dark Worlds is something that helps make this deck more viable, but they are still there, and that can't be ignored.

I really don't think you understand just how bad the matchup is. The deck might as well be "Anti-Dragunities". I think it warrants Side-Deck space just fine, as it's one of the few matchups that the main deck can't handle on it's own just fine as it is.

And da fuq? How is Strike Bounzer + Stardust actually any good against Dark Worlds? The only thing it saves you from is Trance Archfiend plays. They're already running Skill Drain themselves, I don't know why you'd bother with Strike Bounzer, when all it's gonna do is get killed by Grapha. Like everything else.

It simply takes too much effort to beat the deck, whereas they can potentially misplay and still screw you over just because they have a billion cards that are all huge threats to your deck beforehand. They're essentially more dangerous game 1 than pretty much any other deck is after siding. And of course, they're going to side too.

Nimo

Nimo

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
While we are at the subject of DW, does dragged down need both players to have cards in hand at resolution to resolve correctly?

JayTriple

JayTriple

JayTriple

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

And da fuq? How is Strike Bounzer + Stardust actually any good against Dark Worlds? The only thing it saves you from is Trance Archfiend plays. They're already running Skill Drain themselves, I don't know why you'd bother with Strike Bounzer, when all it's gonna do is get killed by Grapha. Like everything else.

It simply takes too much effort to beat the deck, whereas they can potentially misplay and still screw you over just because they have a billion cards that are all huge threats to your deck beforehand. They're essentially more dangerous game 1 than pretty much any other deck is after siding. And of course, they're going to side too.

The Strike Bounzer/Stardust thing I just threw in there on a random tangent, wasn't really relating to Dark Worlds at all. I'll defer to them being a bad match-up on paper, but I've never had much trouble with them so I guess I'm just lucky, as I stated multiple times all the things I was stating were found in my own testing of the deck.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

While we are at the subject of DW, does dragged down need both players to have cards in hand at resolution to resolve correctly?

Yes. If at resolution of the effect, either player has no cards in hand, the effect of Dragged Down into the Grave simply fizzles away.

Other than arbitrarily dropping Veiler or chaining DD Crow when they're the only cards in hand, I don't see why that would really happen often. I guess you could chain Raigeki Break or Karma Cut with one card in hand; and honestly those two traps aren't bad options. Raigeki Break can function as monster removal or an MST, and it's very easy to make cards like Lightpulsar Dragon miss the timing by chaining to... anything. Karma Cut is an amazing monster removal tool that if used properly can break games, but is only a monster removal tool. Still, the thought of removing more than one copy of Grapha at once makes my dick hard.

Both actually help in the Dark World matchup in question, beyond just the aforementioned use against Dragged Down. I'm actually liking Raigeki Break alot in theory; it's really flexible and can be played very skillfully; backed up by Stardust it's pinpoint removal that helps control the board immensely. With the loss of priority making it even better, I'm honestly suprised it doesn't see more play.

That -1 and loss of hand advantage gets to me though, so I definitely understand why it doesn't see much play... I might try testing it though. Thoughts?

Randy

Randy

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
This deck is like samurai in that it's already difficult to maintain your hand size as it is.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I'm well aware of that. The idea is that hopefully Raigeki Break's utility would overcome that and win more games than it loses.

But I would need to test for that. Even then though, it seems like it would make a decent side deck card.

Nimo

Nimo

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Still, the thought of removing more than one copy of Grapha at once makes my dick hard.

Oh Trishula, how i miss you.

The idea of Raigeki Break and Karma Cut might seem appealing at first because of their power and versatility (in the case of break). But more often than not if the game drags on i find myself in top decking situation where both of them doesn't help.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
As much as Trishula was good in this deck, I honestly feel it was more dangerous to it than anything else, and Dragunities are better off for it being banned.

And the top-decking thing is an issue.

I doubt I'll go this route myself, but if one were to elect running Raigeki Break, you could probably go back to running The Fabled Cerburrel in the deck again. I think the general concept behind running those would be to make the deck more flexible and possibly controlling, though probably a tad slower. Legionnaire -> Ragin +4 plays aren't exactly slow though.

Randy

Randy

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
Or you could go balls to the wall and add in the gusto engine.

Nimo

Nimo

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
The last thing the deck needs is adding more combo oriented cards.

But i'd try the fabled hybrid if avarice moved up.

different

different

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I made this deck awhile ago and it shows very great promise.. Its created some fans of the store owner and people around my area. I main 2 baby rocs, It lets me go stardust, red eyes with full attack, and bounzer on field, without going into brionac. The deck doesn't need much set up or main deck dedicated space to go off. So I figure why not use that space for something else? Though I haven't exactly decided what to use that space for yet..And I don't believe "traps" is the right answer. Extra deck space is limited too.. so can't really throw in anything that would use up that extra deck space.

I feel the best thing would be something that forces people to bait out their veilers/traps.

Digging for ideas here feel free to pitch some out.

Combo for that first turn field is gae dearg send zephy + lvl 6 dragon > atum > red eyes > summon gae dearg out get baby roc, bounce red eyes with zephy (field is zephy, baby roc, used atum, gae dearg) sync stardust(with baby roc and gae dearg), summon red eyes remove atum > summon gae dearg get second baby roc(field is zephy, stardust, baby roc, gae dearg, red eyes with 2800 atk used), sync lvl 6 syncro with zephy and baby roc > overlay gae dearg and lvl 6 synchro into strike bounzer.(final field is stardust, strike bounzer, red eyes 2800 atk) I use iron chain as my lvl 6 synchro gives a bit more options being a dragon and another lvl 6.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
http://imgur.com/k0gp9

Went x-1 in swiss in an 80 man tourny on Friday and lost in top 8 to bad luck (not that my opponent was bad, he was good). (vs Inzektors, game 1 hand - Phalanx, Phalanx, Aklys, Dux, Lance, something else useless. Game 2 I open 2 Veilers, no backrow hate, he D Fissures, makes Tiras).

Seriously this deck is the stones. Why no player base???

bluestar899

bluestar899

Trombe!

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
"Because its easy to side against", "Dragunity are bad", "I'm too stupid to think of plays other than Turn 1 Stardust" and so on. People seem to think that the deck's weaknesses from past formats will continue to keep it from winning the big events, so they refuse to pick it up despite some high profile people showcasing the deck's strength.

Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Speak of the Deviljho

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1069 posts
@Gojira Why did you decide against Avarice?

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

"Because its easy to side against", "Dragunity are bad", "I'm too stupid to think of plays other than Turn 1 Stardust" and so on. People seem to think that the deck's weaknesses from past formats will continue to keep it from winning the big events, so they refuse to pick it up despite some high profile people showcasing the deck's strength.

I guess. To be honest though I don't think the weaknesses are really that overplayed compared to some meta decks. Chaos Dragons are pretty vulnerable too, but they're top tier.

There are weaknesses, but what it lacks there it makes up for in exploiting things that other decks can't. Like Imperial Iron Wall.

@Gojira Why did you decide against Avarice?

It simply isn't necessary. By the time I've gone through 5 monsters I actually want to put back, I've either won or lost. In the last 100 or so games, I've only lost 1 due to running out of monsters.
It's also dead early game, which is incredibly important. Dead cards are a no-no, and REDMD, Mystletainn, and Consonance (though Consonance at 1 is almost never dead) are as much as I'd want to risk.

Also space. I simply deemed everything else I'm running more important than Avarice. Dark Hole is... Dark Hole, and I'm not playing Torrential or Mirror Force. Lance and Space help force plays through, as does Call of the Haunted (which does a better job of utilizing the graveyard than Avarice anyway).

bluestar899

bluestar899

Trombe!

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

I guess. To be honest though I don't think the weaknesses are really that overplayed compared to some meta decks. Chaos Dragons are pretty vulnerable too, but they're top tier.

There are weaknesses, but what it lacks there it makes up for in exploiting things that other decks can't. Like Imperial Iron Wall.

I agree. The deck is just as vulnerable to side strategies as other meta decks but it can play around them if you know what you are doing and play the "I'm going to do my thing regardless of what you do. I'm also going to side deck to make sure your side does jack. Come at me bro" mindset.

The other thing is that people also feel that "the deck is too reliant on Ravine" and it loses to a well timed MST (not going to comment on the "loses to Veiler" remark as the same can be said for ALOT of decks at the moment). I admit that Ravine is a big source of this deck's power plays, but it also runs multiple copies of the card and searchers to get at the card if one is blown up. Furthermore while Ravine is weak to MST, the opponent also has to take into consideration that this deck runs backrow and if they go after the field spell, they end up with less outs to Fiendish Chain/Solemns/etc.

munkbusiness

munkbusiness

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
My friend Kristoffer went top 8 with a dragunity build for danish nationals, undefeated in swiss as the only one, and only lost in top due to forgetting to write catastor on decklist.

Decklist:

Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Speak of the Deviljho

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1069 posts
Is it safe to assume the side board looked something along the lines of this?

3 Royal Decree
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Koa'ki Meiru Dragon
2-3 Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
2 Electric Virus

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
No Zephyros or Atum?

Man I feel like I'm wiggin'.

I used to run a deck like that. But it feels rather outdated without those 2 cards involved in some way.

munkbusiness

munkbusiness

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Its because it isn't the control variant your guys are discussing it plays more similar to chaos dragon, very aggressive.

Is it safe to assume the side board looked something along the lines of this?

3 Royal Decree
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Koa'ki Meiru Dragon
2-3 Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
2 Electric Virus

Yeah close his side wasn't really good the main was good in g2 and g3 for the most part as well and the draw power was hard to change without destroying it, so only Drago and Royal decree were important.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
No, I understand that it's more aggressive, but Atum and Zephyros lend themselves to more aggressive plays.

If he's already playing 3 REDMD and Leyvaten (and KKM Drago for security), pretty much any time Atum hits the field and doesn't get veilered, he'd win that turn.

Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Speak of the Deviljho

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1069 posts
- Ally of Justice Catastor
+ Hieratic Dragon King of Atum

After playing quite a number of games with this build, I have to agree with Gojira with Atum. Since Catastor is something you can only summon with Monster Reborn and wasting a Dux... out it goes for an Atum.

EDIT:

He made me discard Dark Hole with Spirit Reaper, I flipped Royal Decree and went to town. munkbusiness, I think your friend is a genius.

Spoiler

bluestar899

bluestar899

Trombe!

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Ugh, I really need to figure out how to play and side better with this deck. Got absolutely wrecked by Dark Worlds (2 Turn 1 Dragged downs and a Turn 1 Card D Game 2) and blown out by a Synchron deck that not surprisingly hit 2 Tuners with Shooting Star Dragon's multi attack effect and all kinds of jazz.

munkbusiness

munkbusiness

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
We were in Ethiopia for like 6 months and we perfected the deck there, we NEVER used Atum I just don't see the situation you need it in, Varyana + Pulsar summoned by it's own effect? On DN of course we had Gustaph Max which is INSANE! But yeah Catastor is kinda useless, but it was an out once (out of maybe 150 games) when opponent used veiler on Dux and we had reborn against a BLS.

Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Speak of the Deviljho

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1069 posts
In your testing, or playing in general for that matter, how often did you use Red Dragon Archfiend? I find that I summon it at least once or twice come game two or three. Spirit Reaper, Gellenduo, and Wind-Up Zenmaines are goddamn annoying.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

We were in Ethiopia for like 6 months and we perfected the deck there, we NEVER used Atum I just don't see the situation you need it in, Varyana + Pulsar summoned by it's own effect? On DN of course we had Gustaph Max which is INSANE! But yeah Catastor is kinda useless, but it was an out once (out of maybe 150 games) when opponent used veiler on Dux and we had reborn against a BLS.

Well that's probably because Zephyros isn't in the deck...

The idea is to stack Vajrayana + Vajrayana/Gae Dearg (which he also isn't running, despite siding into Drago shenanigans...), not Pulsar. Or Mystletainn, but I guess I can see why he's not running that?

Without Zephyros, Atum should still hit the field if you normal Dux and have a Reborn in hand.

(Dux -> Vajrayana + Phalanx, Reborn Dux, synch Gae Dearg, dump Zephyros, overlay Atum. Bam. Grab REDMD, summon Phalanx or Leyvaten + Phalanx, bounce REDMD with Zephyros, and start synching again.)

Keep in mind Zephyros is another Dark for BLS and Pulsar.

munkbusiness

munkbusiness

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
The problem is that zephyros slows your speed, you want to ALWAYS discard dragons and your normal summon should almost always go towards dux, your 3 dux will be enought for your 3 turns that you usually max will have before winning og loosing. But yeah the gae derk is interesting, will forward the idea to him.

And yeah Arhfiend is the strongest level 8 synchro that is mostly why it's in there, but it's effect is pretty usefull aswell, I haven't seen so many reapers and duos since papileropperative IDK.

Randy

Randy

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
Zephyros is literally a free rank 6 or search with ravine. At worst, you can just reuse the ravine to dump a different dragon or the one you just searched.

munkbusiness

munkbusiness

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
If you have it in hand and have ravine yes, in all other scenarios its kinda useless, you can use gae derk to set it up for next turn, but then again I would usually rather have a stardust/colossal/scrap dragon/Red Dragon archfiend instead. But feel free to test it and tell results.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

The problem is that zephyros slows your speed, you want to ALWAYS discard dragons and your normal summon should almost always go towards dux, your 3 dux will be enought for your 3 turns that you usually max will have before winning og loosing. But yeah the gae derk is interesting, will forward the idea to him.

And yeah Arhfiend is the strongest level 8 synchro that is mostly why it's in there, but it's effect is pretty usefull aswell, I haven't seen so many reapers and duos since papileropperative IDK.

You shouldn't ever be normal summoning Zephyros anyway (unless you have a horrible horrible shit hand which wouldn't be Zephyros' fault anyway... more likely triple REDMD, Pulsar and Leyvaten's and only 1 Terraforming's fault)... And discarding Zephyros doesn't actually prevent you from discarding a Dragon exactly the same as you would have anyway, since the idea is to bounce Ravine and discard again. Then you normal Dux and make Atum.
Zephyros doesn't slow the deck down. Ever. It speeds it up. The ONLY time it should be unwelcome is if you're top-decking without Ravine, in which case, you probably lost anyway.

And Gae Dearg is great setup for next turn since it's a level 6 for Atum. If they don't kill it, they almost ALWAYS lose. It's often a one turn clock.
Furthermore, Gae Dearg contributes to Super Rejuvenation.

Herudra

Herudra

Plain Old Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello there

I'm the creator of the deck posted by Munkbusiness, and I'd be glad to discuss possible changes.
First comment would be that the main deck is very tight. The extra is not however.
Therefore I am more tempted by the suggestions of Atum or Gae Dearg than of Zephyros. The theory behind Zephyros might work, but it'd require you to remove a card in the deck. As Munkbusiness already stated you want to discard dragons as much as possible, simply because you can draw into super rejuvenation. Zephyros only works with ravine, whereas all the others works with at least Future Fusion as well. Removing a card that's part of the draw engine would reduce the consistency, and rest of the cards are more necessary than Zephyros. Argue with me on this if you think I'm wrong.
Regarding the extra deck, I think Gae Dearg should be there. I was not really aware of it, didn't have access to it and didn't really end up needing it, but it would definitely work better than for instance catastor. In the entire tournament I didn't use Brionac, Catastor, Red Dragon Archfiend, Thought Ruler Archfiend and Colossal Fighter if I recall correctly. Basically I made Scrap Dragon, Stardust and Trident Dragion and it was enough. In testing I have of course used the others as well. Catastor is in there because it is an out to stuff. Taking BLS and alike is good, but I think Gae Dearg would take the spot, simply because it adds consistency and speed. Gae Dearg will probably rarely be used, but same with Catastor.
Atum I'm Kinda unsure on. I actually had access to it, but chose to leave it out. The reasoning behind it was that Queen Dragun took the spot. Usually Atum would only be summoned when a Dux got veilered and it survived till next turn. Otherwise I wouldn't stop at lvl 6. If I were to go to a tournament I think I would try to find space for it however.

@ D-Reaper Program
Side:
3x Decree
2x Imperial Iron Wall
2x LIM
2x D.D. Crow
2x System Down
1x MST
1x Chain Dis
1x Koa'Ki Meiru Drago
1x Card I can't remember

There wasn't much thought behind the side, the deck was completed at 1 am night before tournament and we were doing it in a hurry. What you need is the 3 Decrees, 2 LIM and 2 Imperial Iron Wall. Thanks to 3 Decree I would have went to finals if I hadn't forgotten to write Catastor on decklist, as both my quarter (where I got a game loss and weren't allowed to side) and semi final matchup was/would have been Final Countdown. The LIM+Imp Iron Wall for the Chaos Dragon match-up.

Looking back what worked so well, was the ability to otk as fast or faster than chaos dragon, while still having access to Stardust / Scrap Dragon for protection or removal which chaos dragons lack. The deck has a hard time against traps because you don't have very many moves if you don't get your normal summon through. Side into trip Decree for max profit. Treacherous Trap Hole is baws though.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
So I totally didn't go to nats.

Did anybody represent the deck?

Candela

Candela

from nadirs

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

So I totally didn't go to nats.

Did anybody represent the deck?

My friend played one round 8 or 9 at top tables.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Well that's cool I guess...

Anybody do anything new? Been testing Leyvaten a bit, he's pretty lulzy; pretty much just opens OTKs whenever he shows up.

Been thinking about maining a Decree, similar to what OCG builds did a while back; don't know if they still do, haven't checked Shriek in a while.

Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid

God of Dark World

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2026 posts
Not playing Zephyros or Mystletain is silly IMO. They both open a lot of comboes, and Mystletain lets you play around Veiler. I also started to play a single Mist Valley Baby Roc since it opens this combo, which only requires a Dux and a Mystletain with Phalanx in grave

1) Normal summon Dux, special summon Phalanx
2) Send Phalanx to grave to special summon Mystletain, special summon Phalanx
3) Synch with Dux and Phalanx into Gae Derg. Use Gae Dergs effect to search Zephyros to hand and discard it.
4) Overlay Gae Derg and Mystletain into Atum and detach Gae Derg to special summon Red-Eyes
5) Use Red-Eyes to special summon Gae Derg. Bounce Red-Eyes to special summon Zephyros
6) Use Gae Derg to search and discard Mist Valley Baby Roc and special summon it with it's own effect
7) Banish Gae Derg to special summon Red-Eyes and use Red-Eyes to special summon Phalanx
8) Synch into Brionac with Zephyros and Phalanx and use Brionac to clear the field
9) Synch into Scrap Dragon with Brionac and Mist Valley Baby Roc
10) Overlay Gaia Dragon onto Atum
11) Attack with Scrap Dragon(2800), Gaia Dragon(2600) and Red-Eyes(2800). 2600+2800+2800=8200

Randy

Randy

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Could you explain that play? Does it happen in one turn? What do you start with?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.

Phalanx in grave, Dux and Mystletainn in hand.

Summon Dux, SS Phalanx, Drop Mystletainn on Phalanx, SS Phalanx, Synchro Gae Dearg, dump Zephyros.
Overlay Gae Dearg and Mystletainn for Atum, Atum SS REDMD, REDMD summon Gae Dearg, dump KKM Drago. Bounce REDMD for Zephyros.
Remove Atum for REDMD, REDMD SS Mystletainn, overlay Gae Dearg and Mystletainn for Atum #2. Atum SS REDMD #2 from deck. REDMD #2 SS Phalanx. Synchro Phalanx with Zephyros for Brionac. Brionac bounce REDMD #2 to hand. Banish Atum #2 to SS REDMD #2. REDMD #2 SS Drago from graveyard.

Should be 2-3 cards left in hand to discard for Brio (assuming you started with 6 and Phalanx hit the grave with Ravine, Foolish Burial or Cards of Consonance). Clear the field, and attack for 9800 damage.

Damn. That's a nice turn 2 OTK.

And you know, drago guarantees playing around gorz/is a better card than roc.

Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid

God of Dark World

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2026 posts
Drago doesn't open Brionac

Randy

Randy

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Could you explain that play? Does it happen in one turn? What do you start with?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.

Phalanx in grave, Dux and Mystletainn in hand.

Summon Dux, SS Phalanx, Drop Mystletainn on Phalanx, SS Phalanx, Synchro Gae Dearg, dump Zephyros.
Overlay Gae Dearg and Mystletainn for Atum, Atum SS REDMD, REDMD summon Gae Dearg, dump KKM Drago. Bounce REDMD for Zephyros.
Remove Atum for REDMD, REDMD SS Mystletainn, overlay Gae Dearg and Mystletainn for Atum #2. Atum SS REDMD #2 from deck. REDMD #2 SS Phalanx. Synchro Phalanx with Zephyros for Brionac. Brionac bounce REDMD #2 to hand. Banish Atum #2 to SS REDMD #2. REDMD #2 SS Drago from graveyard.

Should be 2-3 cards left in hand to discard for Brio (assuming you started with 6 and Phalanx hit the grave with Ravine, Foolish Burial or Cards of Consonance). Clear the field, and attack for 9800 damage.

Damn. That's a nice turn 2 OTK.

TheLordGojira

TheLordGojira

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Not playing Zephyros or Mystletain is silly IMO. They both open a lot of comboes, and Mystletain lets you play around Veiler. I also started to play a single Mist Valley Baby Roc since it opens this combo, which only requires a Dux and a Mystletain with Phalanx in grave

1) Normal summon Dux, special summon Phalanx
2) Send Phalanx to grave to special summon Mystletain, special summon Phalanx
3) Synch with Dux and Phalanx into Gae Derg. Use Gae Dergs effect to search Zephyros to hand and discard it.
4) Overlay Gae Derg and Mystletain into Atum and detach Gae Derg to special summon Red-Eyes
5) Use Red-Eyes to special summon Gae Derg. Bounce Red-Eyes to special summon Zephyros
6) Use Gae Derg to search and discard Mist Valley Baby Roc and special summon it with it's own effect
7) Banish Gae Derg to special summon Red-Eyes and use Red-Eyes to special summon Phalanx
8) Synch into Brionac with Zephyros and Phalanx and use Brionac to clear the field
9) Synch into Scrap Dragon with Brionac and Mist Valley Baby Roc
10) Overlay Gaia Dragon onto Atum
11) Attack with Scrap Dragon(2800), Gaia Dragon(2600) and Red-Eyes(2800). 2600+2800+2800=8200

Agreed on Zephyros.

The one thing I'll give this combo is that it only requires one REDMD and you'll probably get one more bounce out of Brio. But considering you're running another even deader card instead anyway...

Furthermore, emptying your hand to bounce the field without Strike Bounzer or Drago means you're begging for them to drop Gorz and you not to have a hand afterward. There's no point in devoting that much and not actually winning. It's just not worth it. Scrap Dragon can pop the Token, but that's meaningless if they make any kind of comeback. And without Stardust or any backrow, Dark Hole = game.

In either event, the point of running Drago is not for insane wacky combos, it's just to play Drago. The fact that it creates an insane wacky combo is simply a plus.

The only real reason to run Baby Roc is for the FTK, which we can't do in the TCG anyway.

Anyway, here's a some different Baby Roc combos for you (which you may already know)

Opening:
Summon Dux, SS Phalanx, Drop Mystletainn, SS Phalanx, Synchro Gae Dearg, dump Zephyros
Overlay Gae Dearg and Mystletainn for Atum, Atum detach Gae Dearg to SS REDMD, REDMD summon Gae Dearg, dump/summon Baby Roc. Bounce REDMD for Zephyros.
Remove Atum for REDMD, REDMD SS Phalanx, Synchro Phalanx and Zephyros for Vajrayana, equip/SS Phalanx. Synchro the 2 Tuners with the 2 Lvl 6s for 2 Stardusts, or Overlay the 2 lvl 6s for Strike Bounzer and the lvl 2s for Gachi Gachi, or make Atum, SS Mystletainn from Deck and Synchro Stardust. Set 3-4 backrow.

To make into an anti-Gorz OTK, When the field is REDMD + Vajrayana + Gae Dearg + Baby Roc + Phalanx, Overlay Vajrayana and Gae Dearg for Atum, Atum SS Mystletainn, Synchro Baby Roc and Mystletainn for Scrap, Scrap pop something,
Synchro Scrap Dragon and Phalanx for Trident. Pop 2 cards besides REDMD and Atum. Overlay Atum with Gaia Dragon.

2600+2800+3000+3000+3000 = 14,400 damage. Gorz must be dropped after the Second hit, Trident will kill both Gorz and the Token and attack again Directly for game.

Still, the Drago combo is better, but opening with 2 Stardust can be nice?

Still wouldn't run Baby Roc though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: September 2011 Format, Dragunity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users