Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gladiator Beast - Discussion

September 2011 Format Gladiator Beast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
968 replies to this topic

Aperture

Aperture

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Gladiator Beasts

Gladiator Beasts first came onto the competitive scene in 2008 when Paul Levitin won an SJC with them before Gyzarus and War Chariot, two of the decks most powerful cards, were released. Since their prime in the format of Summer 2008, Gladiator Beasts have proven to be one of the most resilient archetypes in the game, always being somewhat relevant in the meta and appearing at the top tables. Gladiator Beasts are always a popular deck at the beginning of every format because of their unmatchable tool boxing that makes them well equipped to handle a diverse meta. All of the decks monsters rely on surviving battle to "tag out" for a different Gladiator Beasts to gain its effect.

%20<a%20%20data-cke-saved-href=

This is the beater of the deck at 1800 atk he's the best turn one summon in the deck and if he's tagged into he becomes a 2100 atk. Also a required fusion material for Heraklinos. Generally 2 of him are run, but more aggressive builds may run 3.

Probably the most important Gladiator Beast, not so much for his effect (although it's quite good) but because he is the key component in making Gyzarus, still one of the best and easiest to spam boss monsters in the game. Having him removed from play can really make your deck lose a lot of aggression so don't get too reckless with his effect.

Basically a staple at 2 this guy allows you to recycle one of the most feared cards in the deck in Gladiator Beast War Chariot as well as other themed cards like Gladiator Beast Respite or even Gladiator Beast monsters.

His effect is most commonly used to get Bestiari from your Graveyard and make Gyzarus as well as bring up a Laquari with him and another monster to go into Heraklinos which can be especially devastating after a Gyzarus play. With the release of Essedarii Darius is probably a staple at 2 in all builds of Gladiator Beasts.

He may not seem like much at first but being able to manipulate your opponent's graveyard can definitely win you some match-ups such as Frog Monarchs. Easily a staple at 1 because there will always be decks that rely on the Graveyard and Retiari is perfect for disrupting that strategy.

One of the weakest monsters stat wise he won't survive too many battles but is ideal for grabbing with Test Tiger when your opponent has a big monster on the field and has one of the most useful effects in the deck. Run is usually run because drawing him can be pretty bad with Test Tiger.

Probably the best effect of any Gladiator Beast especially when brought out with Test Tiger. He's an instant Heraklinos by using his effect to go into Laquari and Equeste to add back Chariot you can almost win right there. Secutor's issue is drawing him is awful especially without Tiger and going TigerSecutor into your opponent's Veiler can lose you the game. Still a card with too much upside and explosive abilities to not run in Test Tiger builds.

A defensive tank, you can stall out against some decks for a long time with this guy, an amazing turn one set especially when your opponent doesn't know what you're running. Then when your opponent knows you're using Hoplomus setting other GB's to set up for contact fusion plays is amazing because many players don't want to attack into Hoplomus and give you a free tag out.

Posted Image

A 1900 Gladiator Beast may not seem like much but he can be quite useful for running into monsters that can give the deck trouble such as Rai-Oh or Doomcaliber. Andal also got some second looks last format when Horn of the Phantom Beast came onto the scene. The potential of a 2700 beater who draws a card when he destroys a monster was definitely a theory worth testing. Andal will definitely make a come back in Gladiator Beast decks once Rescue Rabbit is released.

Test Tiger gives the deck so many options, letting you access any parts of your toolbox for the given situation. Tiger's most common use is Gyzarus spam with Elemental Hero Prisma and is also great to get Secutor or Murmillo if you need to destroy a monster. A great card that gives the deck so many options.

Summon Prisma, send Bestiari, Special Summon Test Tiger, Grab Darius, Special summon back Bestiari, make Gyzarus. That play has been the most common power play for years in Gladiator Beasts and is still as devastating as ever. With the release of A Hero Lives Prisma gets even better in the deck and will allow you to consistently go off into Gyzarus plays.

Even though we don't get this guy for a few months it's still worth discussing the plays he adds to the deck. Since he can only search normal monsters the deck would need to run 3 Gladiator Beast Andal's which is easily recyclable with Gladiator Beast's Respite. Rescue Rabbit can allow for turn one plays to Essedarii, Utopia and Steelswarm Roach. It's almost in essence a tour guide for Gladiator Beasts.

The card is fucking ridiculous, being able to destroy two cards then grab two different monsters (with Laquari in grave he's an instant Heraklinos) He's the reason you run Prisma, well-timed Gyzarus plays will flat out win you the game. Also has an abusable effect with Monster Reborn and Call of the Haunted which recently went to two.

A 3000 atk behemoth with the ability to negate Spell and Traps? What isn't too like? Going into Heraklinos backed with Gladiator Beast War Chariot can be a very difficult field to break especially after a Gyzarus play. The three monster investment isn't difficult at all especially with cards like Darius and Secutor.

The newest member of the Gladiator Beast family a 2500 vanilla would be considered terrible for many decks, but Essedarii is actually quite useful in Gladiator Beasts primarily because his fusion material consists of ANY 2 Gladiator Beasts. Tagging into Darius with any GB monster in grave gives you an instant 2500 atk that can tie with some of the decks biggest adversaries such as Stardust Dragon. Also very useful for making with cards like Murmillo and Secutor who you don't ever want in your hand and turning them into a 2500 beater.

Other monsters worth running:
Gladiator Beast Andal
Elemental Hero Stratos
Effect Veiler
Neo - Spacian Grand Mole
Blackwing - Gale The Whirlwind
Thunder King Rai-Oh

Your monster line-up will be largely composed of the Gladiator Beast toolbox so there isn't too much room for anything else as opening monster clumped hands in GB's can cost you games.

More tool boxing abilities. Probably best served for searching Hoplomus, Laquari or Bestiari.

Opinions are always mixed on this card, it's often great early game but drawing it late game can really screw you. Very easy to abuse with Equeste. Respite will see a lot of play when Rescue Rabbit is released to send Andal back to deck so the deck can max on Rabbit. Also it's worth mentioning that you can add Gladiator Beast cards back such as Chariot and another Respite.

Recently released in Generation Force, A Hero Lives gives the deck a ton of explosiveness by being able to quickly grab Prisma to the field and go into Gyzarus. With the cost of half your life point's you should be careful with this card and wait to use it until your opponent is low on resources to ensure your play is successful. Also it's noteworthy to mention that activating it only applies to not controlling any FACE-UP monsters so you can still use it with sets. Being able to go A Hero Lives into Stratos summon Prisma and XYZ for Roach or Utopia is just another option this card adds to the deck.

Other spells worth running:
Dark Hole
Heavy Storm
Book of Moon
Mystical Space Typhoon
Monster Reborn
Enemy Controller
Future Fusion
Smashing Ground
Pot of Duality
Reinforcement's of the Army
Dimensional Fissure
Forbidden Lance

Probably the one card in the deck above any other that has kept it playable for the last few years. So many if not all decks now rely on effect monsters and War Chariot stops them dead in their tracks. Continuously adding this card back to your hand with Equeste creates a mini-loop that can be incredibly difficult to stop. One of the coolest things about the card is the ability to stop cards like Effect Veiler (an ability so few decks have) from disrupting your potential Gyzarus and Secutor plays. Some players prefer to run 2 instead of 3 because drawing multiples can be subpar since the card is easily grabbed back with Equeste. Of course the advantage to running 3 is seeing it more often.

This is a card that can easily be overlooked in Gladiator Beasts. Call going to 2 actually helps the deck a lot because the normal summon and surviving until the end of battle is SO important in this deck there is really no reason not to run two of something that allows you to put another monster on the field. Not to mention the card is just silly with Prisma plus being able to special summon Gyzarus from the grave during your opponent's end phase to dodge Veiler and their just set traps is insane.

Other traps worth running:
Trap Dustshoot
Mind Crush
Starlight Road
Mirror Force
Torrential Tribute
Solemn Judgment
Solemn Warning
Safe Zone
Dimensional Prison
Bottomless Trap Hole
Horn of the Phantom Beast
Trap Stun
Seven Tools of the Bandit
Waboku
Compulsory Evacuation Device

Gladiator Beasts are a deck that have a lot of potential this format as they always do because of their tool boxing, ability to summon powerful fusions and of course War Chariot. With the addition of XYZ monsters the deck has the ability to go into Utopia, Roach, Leviathan Dragon and Leviair among others. Leviair has loads of potential because it gives the deck the ability to add back Bestiari if he's been removed from play, something the deck has never had the ability to do.

Last format the most popular variation of Gladiator Beasts was the control based "Tigerless" version. With Heavy Storm coming back it gives the Test Tiger Prisma variation Gladiator Beasts a boost because of the problems the deck had dealing with a ton of backrows. Last format if your opponent opened with 3+ backrows you were already fighting an uphill battle because the deck needs monsters on the board constantly which can be difficult for a deck when the deck is so dependent on its normal summon. Only having 1-2 backrows to deal with allows your battle phases to resolve in successful tag-outs and most importantly allow Gyzarus plays to go through.

With Rescue Rabbit coming in a few months the deck gets a huge boost in making big creatures. Perhaps one of the toughest issues the deck will have this format is finding a way to consistently and efficiently deal with turn one Tour Guide into Leviathan and Veiler as well as the plethora of boss monsters in decks such as agents. Gladiator Beasts have always been a great anti-meta deck especially with the ability to side deck into Dimensional Fissure against Graveyard reliant decks. With the right tech choices Gladiator Beasts could potentially be a force to be reckoned with this format.

Kanade

Kanade

Winged Angel

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2351 posts
Finally, lets get this ish started.

shuffler

shuffler

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
about time.

koolkat423

koolkat423

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Is rescue rabbit really gonna put the deck back on top like alot of people think?

InfusionsCap

InfusionsCap

Ground Duelist

• »Retired Staff
  • 3831 posts

Is rescue rabbit really gonna put the deck back on top like alot of people think?

Back on top might be a bit of an overstatement, but a serious contender is probably pretty safe to say. It all depends on what the rest of the meta is looking like by then IMO.

neptune

neptune

golden rubbers in these denim pockets

• »Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5783 posts
what would a rescue rabbit build look like?

Jesus the Jew

Jesus the Jew

I died for your sins.

• Duelist
  • 3291 posts
Rabbit+Andals+Respite

Warthog

Warthog

Totally Twisted

• Duelist
  • 2400 posts
I want to test out Rescue Rabbit builds but has anyone tested Icarus Glads with Lanista coming out in October? RIght now one of my favorite decks.

Gear

Gear

Taunted

• Duelist
  • 3267 posts

I want to test out Rescue Rabbit builds but has anyone tested Icarus Glads with Lanista coming out in October? RIght now one of my favorite decks.

Lanista just seems like such a terrible Gladiator imo.

InfusionsCap

InfusionsCap

Ground Duelist

• »Retired Staff
  • 3831 posts

Lanista just seems like such a terrible Gladiator imo.

I second this. Me and a friend of mine messed around with it for a while in anticipation of its release and found it rather weak, or maybe it was just the rest of the build, idk. Regardless, my opinion is the same as yours Gear.

SteveK

SteveK

Yellow Power

• Trader Watch (Must Send First)
  • 4184 posts

Back on top might be a bit of an overstatement, but a serious contender is probably pretty safe to say. It all depends on what the rest of the meta is looking like by then IMO.

I even doubt that they will be a contender cuz that's what people were saying when Hero Lives came out lol

But with the whole TGU ruling change I think this deck just got a lot better.

argh

argh

Guardian

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

I even doubt that they will be a contender cuz that's what people were saying when Hero Lives came out lol

But with the whole TGU ruling change I think this deck just got a lot better.

r u saying the deck isn't a contender atm?

SteveK

SteveK

Yellow Power

• 4184 posts
Meh we'll see. I actually like this deck lol

Monolightning

Monolightning

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1462 posts
I honestly think the deck is great atm

shuffler

shuffler

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

I actually have a lot of trouble with Agents and them costlessly making boss monsters
any suggestions how to beat them?

argh

argh

Guardian

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
play them again, since now they dont have tgu sangan search lol

Aperture

Aperture

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts
Currently this is my build space is really tight. I'm unsure of how I feel about Starlight Road. Gonna do a lot of testing with this tonight.

Monsters: 17
3 Test Tiger
2 Gladiator Beast Laquari
2 Gladiator Beast Darius
2 Gladiator Beast Equeste
1 Gladiator Beast Bestiari
1 Gladiator Beast Murmillo
1 Gladiator Beast Hoplomus
1 Gladiator Beast Secutor
1 Gladiator Beast Retiari
2 Elemental Hero Prisma
1 Elemental Hero Stratos

Spells: 10
3 A Hero Lives
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Monster Reborn
1 Heavy Storm
1 Book of Moon
1 Dark Hole

Traps: 16
3 Gladiator Beast War Chariot
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Starlight Road
2 Solemn Warning
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Mirror Force
1 Trap Dustshoot
2 Call of the Haunted
2 Mind Crush
1 Solemn Judgment

rh888king

rh888king

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I actually have a lot of trouble with Agents and them costlessly making boss monsters
any suggestions how to beat them?

i main 2 smashing grounds. Easy out against boss monsters and an easy out to xyzs,

ibot

ibot

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

At 0:51 you can see Dale Bellido's build. It's......interesting.

Who am I kidding, it stinks. And in later vids he complains that "the deck isn't fast enough to compete." Well, with a build like that, it's no wonder.

No Chariots, Tour Guides with no Gold Sarcs, 3 Prismas, unrefined Extra Deck, 1 Equeste, Wabokus, Black Luster Soldier, and a few other bad choices. You'd have to be a pro to win any games with this deck.

Aperture

Aperture

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts
I watched that video like a day or two ago. Dale's obviously an amazing player and deck builder but I have no fucking idea what he was doing with that deck.

argh

argh

Guardian

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
why would u play tour guide in this deck?

Semaj.

Semaj.

Sack-'o'-Luck.

• Duelist
  • 4297 posts
Because at the time, he thought you could get the search from sangan

Aperture

Aperture

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Why would you play Sangan in this deck?

Semaj.

Semaj.

Sack-'o'-Luck.

• Duelist
  • 4297 posts

Why would you play Sangan in this deck?

Dropping a free 2500 beater and then getting a test tiger to your hand sounds good. The TGU engine was a bit of a stretch though.

Dirk:p

Dirk:p

El Hombre Indestructible.

• Duelist
  • 6323 posts
Well he was obviously going for the ridiculous play of:
1) Sarc for Prisma.
2) Summon TGU, fetch Sangan and make Leviair.
3) Detach Sangan to SS Prisma, then search Tiger.
4) Proceed to Gyzarus, etc.

Aperture

Aperture

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Well he was obviously going for the ridiculous play of:
1) Sarc for Prisma.
2) Summon TGU, fetch Sangan and make Leviair.
3) Detach Sangan to SS Prisma, then search Tiger.
4) Proceed to Gyzarus, etc.

He didn't even run Sarc lol

e-wank

e-wank

Padawan

• Duelist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
has any one had any luck with Summoner Monk in gbs?

iWank

iWank

So Raven

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

You fucking faggot!!!

Stardust-Guardian

Stardust-Guardian

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

You fucking faggot!!!

Lmaoooooo

SteveK

SteveK

Yellow Power

• 4184 posts

why would u play tour guide in this deck?

To grab Veiler so your opponent doesn't shit on you with their TGU?

GokuDB

GokuDB

Tomb Keeper

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
finally the gb thread !

Phantom Renegade

Phantom Renegade

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
Definitely want to play the deck again with the new rulings on Xyz as well as me finally getting my Steelswarm Roach.

Snarf498

Snarf498

<3 Dianna Agron

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
One of the biggest problems with AHL Glads was that it lost horribly to first turn Leviathan searching for a veiler. Now that they actually have to draw into Veiler it makes Gyzarus plays easier to pull off (Duh). The deck does have a shot now that Veiler is less likely.

argh

argh

Guardian

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

One of the biggest problems with AHL Glads was that it lost horribly to first turn Leviathan searching for a veiler. Now that they actually have to draw into Veiler it makes Gyzarus plays easier to pull off (Duh). The deck does have a shot now that Veiler is less likely.

Not only that, but one of the main reasons people were playing veiler was to stop the tgu plays in the first place, so honestly I expect the card to be played a lot less.

ShugoGamer

ShugoGamer

randy savage

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
What's everyone siding? I'm finding my side has alot of open space.

The Bell Boy

The Bell Boy

Thisniggaugly

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
I side wiseman's chalice for the mirror.

Adept

Adept

Too siick.

• Duelist
  • 5261 posts
Beacuse Gladiator Taming isn't better in every way or anything.

The Bell Boy

The Bell Boy

Thisniggaugly

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
I don't have tamings at the moment. In the process of getting them actually.

Gear

Gear

Taunted

• Duelist
  • 3267 posts
Why would you want to side specifically for the mirror? Usually the better player wins. Siding Gladiator Taming for only the mirror doesn seem to good.
Just use your standard Cyber Dragons and stuff for the mirror.

Guru

Guru

You can never have too many waifus

• Loyalist
  • 6363 posts
So I'd just like to say this.

GB'S IS BACK BABY!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: September 2011 Format, Gladiator Beast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users