Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
2242 replies to this topic

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8820 posts
http://msn.foxsports...betrayal-110411

Tyrion

Tyrion

_childrebelsoldier

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1243 posts
As much as I hate this lock-out bullshit and I disagree with many of the owners motives for change, I do find myself leaning towards their proposed system. A much harder salary cap and the ability to with hold money from under performing players, should in theory create a league in which everyone is at a much more equal footing in terms of competing for the playoffs/championship and where players don't just sign their fat 5 year deals and then stop performing.

Giannis Antetokounmpo

Giannis Antetokounmpo

Blockrates

• 舞etired Staff
  • 17487 posts
Withholding money from under-performing players would cause more problems than it would solve.

Jesus the Jew

Jesus the Jew

I died for your sins.

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3290 posts
Big market cities are always going to dominate in basketball. Trying to equal the footing just makes it so that the big market cities will be forced to provide an inferior product to their larger fan base.

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Memphis had a good team.

Tyrion

Tyrion

_childrebelsoldier

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1243 posts

Withholding money from under-performing players would cause more problems than it would solve.

Just out of interest, how would it cause problems? Injuries etc. would of course have to be taken in to account, but surely it would motivate players to perform/stay in shape? I'm not talking about deciding on a month by month basis and altering pay accordingly, but extreme cases like Eddy Curry where over a course of 8-12 months/1-2 years a player is clearly not making the effort to perform and his contract is killing his team's chance to compete for multiple years, an issue which would become even worse should the owners get their way and a much more rigid salary cap be put in place.

I think you make a good point Caibre that this is a bad idea if it does really adversely effect the level of basketball in the big markets and I'll admit I hadn't thought of it like that, however my counter would be that if the owners of big market teams are also on board with these changes they clearly do not foresee this being a problem. I think mostly because top players will always be drawn to big markets due to the extra marketing dollars which are available in L.A./New York/Chicago etc., which would play an even greater role in free agent movement if player salaries do get reduced.

Munstar

Munstar

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

hopefully they reach an agreement today :/

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
Posted Image

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
A person familiar with the deal says NBA owners and players have reached a tentative agreement to end the lockout. The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Saturday because the agreement has not yet been announced. After a secret meeting earlier this week, the sides met for more than 15 hours Friday, working to try to save the season. Under the deal, a 66-game season would begin on Christmas. This handshake deal still must be ratified by both owners and players.

This was from nba.com

Sloom

Sloom

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Just out of interest, how would it cause problems? Injuries etc. would of course have to be taken in to account, but surely it would motivate players to perform/stay in shape? I'm not talking about deciding on a month by month basis and altering pay accordingly, but extreme cases like Eddy Curry where over a course of 8-12 months/1-2 years a player is clearly not making the effort to perform and his contract is killing his team's chance to compete for multiple years, an issue which would become even worse should the owners get their way and a much more rigid salary cap be put in place.

Who determines what is "underwhelming" for each player?

Also, its about time they start to get the lockout crap resolved. Granted, there is a LOT of money that'd be affected by the deal, it's taken a LONG time to compromise.

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
well time for some metta world peace time

Sykotic

Sykotic

BLACK SHADES JOHNNY CAGE DIAMONDS GO PARADE

• Loyalist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
can i buy a metta world peace jersey yet?

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
sadly not but it's gonna be my first jersey since the time i bought my allan houston knicks and carmelo anthony nuggets jerseys in 2003

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
dwight howard might go the nets

oh shit son

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Man i wanted the lakers to get cp3 and howard.

If magic would make that deal , i really dont know if theyll ever find a big guy like him from the ncaa for next years draft or 2 years after that. You cant find a guy like d howard easily. Though, i know theyll trade him unless they can talk to LA to trade them Bynum and Odom for him.

As for chris paul, i really hope he dont go to boston. I mean is boston really that stupid to trade rajon rando? I guess so. A guy who hustles, does not give up and is your best player on your team? And i thought the magic was stupid over a decade ago to trade shaq away.

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
if dwight howard goes to the nets i'm moving to brooklyn

fuck queens

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Nets:
Brook Lopez
2 first rounders

For d. howard

Also they would take turko with his 3 yr contract.

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
it's all about the grizzlies my niggas

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
boston fucked their shits up when they traded away perkins

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Yeah, whats funny was they wanted him back by offering rajon and greene for westbrook and him after the season LOL.

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Kobe, Howard, Paul

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Shane Baitter will sign with the Heat.

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
knicks are getting close to getting grant hill

grant hill was one of my favorite players when growing up

Dirk:p

Dirk:p

El Hombre Indestructible.

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6323 posts
Knicks are getting close to signing Tyson Chandler, they're realy trying to lure CP3 in.

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Trading what for him?

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
i think tyson chandler is a free agent

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
http://eye-on-basket...748484/33755940

Yahoo Sports reports the Knicks are close to a 4-year deal with Chandler worth $58 million.

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
No dirk said theyre trying to get cp3. Obvious someones getting traded.

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
The New Orleans Hornets are engaged in trade talks with the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets about a three-team trade that would send Chris Paul to the Lakers and Pau Gasol to the Rockets, sources said.

Gasol

Paul

The Hornets would receive either Luis Scola or Kevin Martin, and possibly both, as well as draft picks. Houston owns the New York Knicks' first-round pick from 2012, as well as its own.

The Rockets also have young assets to offer New Orleans in players like Chase Budinger, Patrick Patterson and Jordan Hill.

The Hornets would like to trade Paul, an All-Star and U.S. Olympian, before Christmas to avoid the lengthy drama that Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets went through before he was sent to the New York Knicks last season, sources have told ESPN.com. But the Hornets are also prepared to wait for offers to improve, convinced that they they're getting low-ball proposals from would-be suitors.

Sources previously told ESPN.com that the Lakers have made their willingness to deal forward Gasol for Paul clear to the Hornets, since L.A. is hoping to preserve Andrew Bynum to be the centerpiece of a trade offer for Orlando's Dwight Howard.

As the Knicks were closing in on a deal for Tyson Chandler of the Dallas Mavericks, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein the Knicks were considering the possibility of sending Amare Stoudemire to the Hornets for Paul, reuiniting him with Chandler.

Chris Broussard is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. Information from ESPN.com's Marc Stein was used in this report.

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
http://espn.go.com/n...g-fouls-2011-12

NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson confirmed Wednesday that several new rule interpretations will be a point of emphasis for the league's referees when the regular season begins on Dec. 25.

"Rip-through" moves, in which an offensive player swings the ball into a defender's outstretched arm and then attempts a shot once he has created contact, will be considered non-shooting fouls if the contact begins before the offensive player starts his shooting motion.

Also, on drives to the basket, a shooting foul will be called only if contact occurs after the offensive player has begun his shooting motion, not after he has initiated his leap toward the basket.

"Certain types of contact involving the shooter were all being called in his favor," Jackson said. "It doesn't look good for the game. There was a strong feeling that those types of plays were creating an ill-advised reward for the shooter, often with three free throws."

The league will also make traveling in the post and on the perimeter a point of emphasis, with a player hopping off of and landing on the same foot viewed as an automatic violation. Referees will also consider locking or clamping an opponent's arm or hand under the basket while battling for a rebound and discontinued or hesitation dribbles as automatic violations.

Several rule changes will also be introduced, most to shorten the overall length of games and speed up the final minutes of a contest:

• Substitutions will only be allowed before the final free throw of any trip to the line that is not for a technical or flagrant foul.

• Two horns will be sounded 15 seconds apart after every timeout. Teams whose players are not moving toward the court as soon as the second horn sounds will receive a delay-of-game warning.

• Instant replay will be utilized only during full timeouts, not 20-second timeouts, when necessary.

• Whether a player's foot is on the three-point line or midcourt line will be determined by where it last touched the floor, meaning a player could have a toe on the three-point line but if he leans back on his heels before he releases the ball a successful shot would be deemed a three-pointer.

• The eight-second backcourt violation will occur when the shot clock reaches 15 seconds, rather than 16.

The last rule is necessary because the 24-second shot clock will now be equipped to show 10ths for the final five seconds and work as a "true" clock. From a technical standpoint, the old shot clock began with 24.9 seconds and expired with .9 left. Now the clock will switch from 24 to 23 seconds after .1 second has expired.

Jackson said a survey of coaches determined when the shot clock would break into 10ths.

"We didn't want to run them for the whole 24 seconds and the consensus was, from a strategy standpoint, that the final five seconds were the most valuable," he said. "Before, you could have two seconds left on the shot clock but you wouldn't know if it was 2.9 or 2.1. That makes a big difference."

Referees also will be hyper-vigilant about defenders making contact with offensive players when they're in the air and fully extended attempting to score. In most cases, expect that kind of foul to draw a Flagrant Level 2, which is two free throws, possession of the ball and the defender being ejected.

"That type of contact was a trend last season and it's really dangerous," Jackson said.

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
http://twitter.com/#...913706302717952

The Hornets have started to inform teams that they're sending Chris Paul to the Lakers for Bynum and Odom, league sources tell Y! Sports.

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Lol?

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Gasol/odom

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Lakers:
Chris paul

Rockets:
Pau Gasol

Hornets:
Lamar Odom/Khloe Kardashian

Idk who the rest of the deal but we CPTree

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
lakers kept bynum so they can try trading him for dwight

Exiled

Exiled

irrelevant

• 舞etired Staff
  • 33184 posts
ewwwww

i want gasol in the lakers

7hhzz7

7hhzz7

Be Your Sound

• 舞etired Staff
  • 15513 posts
Yep.

dolphin

dolphin

terry francona

• 舞etired Staff
  • 8820 posts
it was either gasol+odom or bynum+odom

you have to get rid of all 3 to get chris paul+dwight

and gasol playing center is eh and he's soft too

Exiled

Exiled

irrelevant

• 舞etired Staff
  • 33184 posts
is vince carter still a keeper or has he gotten shitty?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users