Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hey guys, I need help buying a new desktop!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11463 posts
So, my emachine tower I had for a year finally bit the dust. I was having problems with it earlier in the year lol, but I can't believe how fast it actually died on me because I kept good care of it using reliable anti-virus programs and reliable download sources. I did use it a lot, though, nearly had it on 24/7 lol. It was a decent little computer to do what I wanted, but I used it far too often and even killed the original power supply.

However, now I need to get a new desktop, so I need something that has great fans to start, maybe even two.. I already have a good ol' 21' monitor, so I just need a good tower. I need something that will handle everyday use/photoshop use, provide a decently good graphics card, provide around 6 gbm of ram, and provide at least 1tb storage

I want to spend around 500$ if possible. I don't have anymore to spend, honestly. I have been looking all around (Amazon, Tigerdirect, Other sites), and I have done a shit ton of research on sites such as CNet, but I know you guys can help me a lot more efficiently lol. I don't want to buy another money pit.

I have been looking at the "Dell Inspiron i620-2435bk", and I have compared it with similar gateway builds, Hp builds, and acer builds, but I have yet to find a computer better. They're asking 450$ which is a fair price; however, I'm just worried about investing in a Dell because of the known customer service problems they're known to have. But, both my sister and step-dad's computers are Dells, and the computers have lasted 3+ years each with minimal problems. Here's the computers specs.

Dell Inspiron i620-2435bk Desktop PC
Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz
6 GB DDR3 1TB HDD
8 USB Ports (2.0 unfortunately, but I don't see myself hooking it up to my TV anytime soon, so I don't see this as a big problem.)
DVDRW (I don't really have money for blue-ray, anyway.)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel HD Graphics 2000

(It has available 8 different media readers installed. Uses USB mouse, and keyboard, but that's fine.)

So, any advice you guys can throw my way in order for this to be a successful buy?

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
There is seriously a pinned topic for questions like these.

Getting that out of the way i'll read your post and resp in 5 min

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
1: 'decent fans' is a misnomer, a stock CPU fan is really all a pc NEEDS (laptops are a different ball game mind you), everything else just help a lot. your emachines was likely shit and as you said PSU died so that'll do it. Replacing fans isn't relaly hard when they die and a fan (not a heatsink) is like $7

Dell's inspiron line of laptops is complete fuckin shit, but im not sure how you could fuck up that way in a desktop

Looks like a machine that fits your needs decently enough. For photoshop id jump up another core, and that video card isn't anything to write home about (can barely run SC2 on low), but it's really hard to do anything in that price envelope without me customizing a build

Also how does USB ports equate to your TV? I mean at most your tv might be SLIGHTLY higher res than your monitor, and even then USB doesnt effect that.

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
Sorry about that, man. I totally missed those.. lol. Thank you for the reply, though, bro.

Hmm, well I figure another fan can only help increase my computers life, laptop or not. Though, I understand they need extra cooling more. So you don't think it would matter for a desktop such as this, then?

It's honestly the best computer I found for my price range from shopping around. Customizing a theory build out of those requirements would help me narrow down the search, actually, even though I can not build the computer myself, but it's up to you if you don't mind.

Nvm on the USB ports lol, I guess the only difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is the transfer time increase

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
yeah

WHen your comp overheats or w/e it generally doesn't do much damage as thermal throttling will turn the pc off before bad shit goes down. then you just replace the fan.

THe main components that die are hard drives - mechanical parts are prone to failure obviously (much like fans) - theo nly fan thats a motherfucker to replace is in the PSU

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
Alright, well I just didn't want the same circumstance to arise. I honestly thought it could cause more damage than that.

do you mind throwing a template my way for a good photoshop machine? Haha, I'd appreciate it, man

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
photoshop needs 3 things - a fast (pref multithreaded) cpu, a shit ton of ram, and a reasonably quick hard drive. You wont be able to go SSD but pretty much any build with a quad core (though in a pinch a dual core like you've picked is fine) and 8 gb ram should work. And it's not like 6 gb of ram will fuck you over or anything.

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
When i get to work I'll throw together a machine for $500 even htat can do that and some light gaming (better than this rig)

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
Thank you, man. :] Sorry, I've been at work all day myself.

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
http://www.tigerdire...Sku=A180-140000

What do you think, Ash?

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
http://www.tigerdire...&Sku=G180-11000

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
Both solid, tho i5 is way better than FX4100

nicknack009

nicknack009

Plain Old Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
You can also check your local Staples for clearance bundles that include monitors. I prefer the AMDs since their built in graphics are usually better.

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
Thanks, Ash. right now I think I'm debating between that gateway, and this one.

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218380518359

It's only got a terrabye of storage, but is 8 gbs and 20 cheaper. I like how both are upgradeable to 16 gb, and both have a shit ton of usb pots along with two 3.0s. as well. What do you think?

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
Storage isnt huge i like itr

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
i mean, still 1tb is a lot. so idk, will 8 gb be that much more noticable than 6gb?

also, nick, I already got a monitor.

nicknack009

nicknack009

Plain Old Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Understood about monitor. Just verify that power supply wattage can handle the draw from a graphics card if you decide to bypass intel built-in graphics. Regards.

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
http://www.amazon.co...Z8BTM2APJF3JSG5

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
thats got a reasonable gaming gpu (not outstanding) but wont be as good for actual photoshop as the cpu isnt as good.

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
Ash, is there a tremendous amount of difference do you think between these two i5 processors?

http://ark.intel.com/products/53446 (2320, what the gateway has, and the cheaper of the two.)

http://ark.intel.com/products/52207 (2400, what I sorta of want considering once you scroll down there is a tremendous amount of difference in the specs)

Like I said, might I want to start looking for 2400 i5 do you think?

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
put simply ive heard a ton of good things about the 2400 and nothing at all about the 2320.

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
Alright, guess I'll continue searching around. I'm having minimal success finding a computer with an i5 2400 processor with what I want for around what I want.

rei

rei

chrono trigger warning

• +Administrator+
  • 51501 posts
im sure the 2320 is great, i mean the i3 2300 is even a good chip.

Ryuuzaki

Ryuuzaki

Billions upon Billions

• 舞etired Staff
  • 11463 posts
Yeah, true, I'm just weighing all my options. I'm not buying the tower until I get paid next friday. Thanks for your opinions, btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users