Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Snapcaster Mage & Delver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Myth

Myth

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I've been hearing and reading a lot of complaining about these two cards. When I say "a lot" I mean multiple different threads on the same site, articles by pros and randoms alike and people at my LGS complaining about the Delver deck. It seems since the release of Restoration Angel that the cries about the power level of these two cards, especially SCM has gotten the loudest I've heard a card complained about since Caw-blade.

June 20th is the ban list update and a lot of people are speculating SCM or Delver, maybe even both are likely to be banned. Ponder is also possible.

Personally, I'm not sure if it's the consistency of a deck that runs 8+ cantrips, RA+SCM+Mana Leak for a solid defense while riding a 3/2 flyer all the way to victory is what's rustling people's jimmies or if it's just that people are complaining for the sake of complaining because Delver is clearly the best deck of the format and their awful zombie spirit tribal bullshit can't beat it consistently enough. Regardless, it's getting near epidemic and I was wondering what DGZ thinks of this.

I don't think anything will be banned. At least not yet.

`SPECTRUM

`SPECTRUM

The True XC Legend

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts
See I don't really know how the flow of this metagame works when it comes to format bans yet, but I say it woud be completely gay to ban SCM or Delver right now. Let it dominate for a little while. The format will change with the release of the new core set. Then 3 months after that, rotation happens. Now if it continues to be a problem in the new format, then I would ban something to cripple the deck. But other than that, I don't see banning anything necessary. That's my opinion though.

Dark Ritual

Dark Ritual

formerly Digitalforce

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
ponder is most likely to be hit of those 3. banning snapcaster would make many people angry due to it's cost (but maybe it will happen: see jace and SFM)

delver it's fine now,ponder + delver not so much. ponder is also banned in modern,wizards doesn't like the card

Myth

Myth

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Your opinion is fine and I actually agree. The "logical" thing to do is ban select cards before they become a problem.

In this case though I don't think there's a problem with the cards or standard. Just the people playing it.

Hallowed Fountain

Hallowed Fountain

Andrew Tenjum

• »Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8793 posts
There's a problem with people playing it...?

Your opinion is fine and I actually agree. The "logical" thing to do is ban select cards before they become a problem.

In this case though I don't think there's a problem with the cards or standard. Just the people playing it.

What do you mean by that?

Anyway, Delver should certainly not be banned as that would solve literally nothing. Snapcaster or Ponder is the real problem.

But I don't think there actually is a "problem". Delver is a deck that rewards tight play and is not even close to Cawblade levels of dominance. People are just overreacting to one event where one group of players did well. That says something about the players, not the deck.

Myth

Myth

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Anyway, Delver should certainly not be banned as that would solve literally nothing. Snapcaster or Ponder is the real problem.

But I don't think there actually is a "problem". Delver is a deck that rewards tight play and is not even close to Cawblade levels of dominance. People are just overreacting to one event where one group of players did well. That says something about the players, not the deck.

The bolded part is what I meant.

Hallowed Fountain

Hallowed Fountain

Andrew Tenjum

• »Retired Staff
  • 8793 posts

Well you said there's a problem, so you're saying there's a problem with people being good at Magic? lol

Azn_Boy

Azn_Boy

Ground Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4476 posts
Tormod's Crypt has been leaked, I hope they don't ban Snapcaster :(

Dark Ritual

Dark Ritual

formerly Digitalforce

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
Tormod's Crypt does not stop snapcaster at all. why doesn't nihil spellbomb stop it now? 1 mana doesn't matter a lot,the only downside of spellbomb is the vulnerability to Mental Misstep (not so played..)

fat nigger grant

fat nigger grant

constant reaffirmation is overrated

• »Retired Staff
  • 9192 posts
1 mana is relevant, and the fact that this is after rotation is also relevant

Dark Ritual

Dark Ritual

formerly Digitalforce

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
yes,that's why i didn't say "it doesn't matter at all" :P still,i love crypt and it's a fine and long-due reprint

Myth

Myth

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Well you said there's a problem, so you're saying there's a problem with people being good at Magic? lol

That's not what I meant tho, even if it looks like it from what I posted :[.

Regardless, we're three months away from rotation and people are screaming the sky is falling like they always do when one deck is better than the rest of the field. Compared to standard's past Delver's power level in comparison to the rest of the field isn't so strong where it's "Play Delver or gtfo". It's not Fae, Jund or Caw-blade, yet people are acting like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users