Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prophecy/Spellbook - Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2871 replies to this topic

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Prophecy/Spellbook is a deck that revolves around using magic cards to support Spellcasters. The Spellbook cards are generic support for Spellcaster however Prophecy almost exclusively supports or need support from the Spellbook Spell Cards. The trending build of Prophecy revolves around Spellbook of Judgment a card like no other that tutors whatever Spellbook(s) you need directly to your hand as well as bringing out a Spellcaster from your deck. 

Monsters

III - The High Priestess

-The deck's current power house, though her summoning condition can be fairly restrictive her power in undeniable, and with Judgment she becomes a search DAD/Hyperion for Prophecy. Though recently a lot of players have opted not to run her due to how she affects opening hands.

I - The Magician
-Searches all your combo pieces, key in setting up Judgment plays with Master, and a Spellcaster body that's always available for Fate/Master.

XI - Justice

-With Judgment this card extends advantage even further, and also brings your big beater straight to the hand. It makes Priestess part of your Spellbook engine which solves the problem this deck had before of not seeing Priestess.

The Spiritualist (Jowgen)

-This card alone locks Dragons down and forces them to make sub optimal plays such a normal summoning a Dragon, when backed by Fate this card easily seals games from Dragon's grasp. It's summonable off Judgment which is what gives this deck so potential this format.

The Destroyer (Kyoo)

-Kycoo like Jowgen fill a giant niche this format by stopping the mechanic that makes the best decks this format the best, banishing from grave. It also can banish the fodder Dragons use to summon their monsters with little cost, as well as being key in the mirror in stopping opposing Fates and turning Priestess into a vanilla beater, locking out all of the opponents removal.

Spellbooks

Spellbook of Secrets

-RoTA in spell form, searches all your Spellbooks, more accurately any Spellbook card including Magician.

Spellbook of Power

-Another card that allows searching of your deck's pieces, and also puts your monsters of ahead of most anything by battle. With Master you can increase the attack of a monster by 2000, and then search 2 cards for no loss of advantage.

XVI - The Grand Spellbook Tower

-This card just generates advantage, and really can put your opponent in a hard place where if they destroy it you get something, but if they leave it you get more. Tower is key in surviving EEV blows as resolving it's summoning effect under EEV can net you most any Spellcaster in your deck.

Spellbook of Eternity
-This card has utility in allowing you retrieve a banished Spellbook, it allows you cycle the Field Spell, Fate, anything ensuring that you're never blocked out access to your Spellbooks, and turning the RFG into a second grave.

Spellbook of Life
-Premature Burial with a more theme'd cost, often however reviving Priestess can be enough without the need Xyz or Synchro Summon, but life gives you access to wide array of different level and rank'd Synchros and XYZ.

Spellbook of the Master
-Insanity, this card was made to bypass the inability to activate the same Spellbook twice in one turn, it makes Fate who in turn makes Eternity more live. One of the better tricks is copying Eternity to pull 2 Spellbooks out of the Banish Zone or copying Power to boost a monster's attack by 2000, and search 2 when you trample something with the massive power boost. You can also copy Secrets which helps thin the deck even more and helps with reaching the needed threshold for an advantageous Judgment resolution.

Spellbook of Fate
-The reason this card can play little to no traps and almost no other removal is this card. This card posseses the most powerful type of removal banishing and with Judgment it's effect is relatively easy to set up. It also can be used as a Book of Moon or to switch a monster to attack. The last effect can come in hand when you just need to resolve a 3/4 card for Judgment.

XVIII - The Moon (Library of Crescent)

-This card is used to significantly increase your chances of resolving Judgment of the first turn. Prophecy often as excess cards in hand to discard during the End Phase, these are the perfect fodder as their use past turn 1 is limited, and they also can be used to fuel Fate, unlike Toon Tables/Upstart.

XVII - The Star (Star Hall)

-Outside of Priestess the monsters this deck uses are generally underpowered, Starhall is used to boost Priestess and Kycoo to numbers where common outs like Rectan no longer have any significance. Starhall also has amazing syngery with Arcanite Magician and Tempest Magician.

XX - Judgment

-The Spellbook to break this deck once and for all, Judgment, if you can resolve 3 Spells after you activate Judgement you're put in an amazing spot for next turn with 4 Spellbooks and a Priestess guaranteed  plus whatever you already had in your hand. This card finally puts Justice, and more importantly Priestess into the Spellbook engine, without something being destroyed Tower/Starhall. For this format this deck tutors probably the single two most powerful stand alone monsters this format Jowgen and Kycoo.

The Spells
-Other than Spellbooks obviously the deck doesn't have room or need for many other Spells, outside of obvious staples, like Monster Reborn, Dark Hole, and possibly Heavy Storm, cards like Book of Moon have use as added defense, Pot of Duality for more searching, Wonder Wand for draw Power, Mind Control has utility. 

Toon Table of Contents along with Toon Gemini Elf can be used to essentially resolve Judgment for 3 for no cost to you, on top of whatever else you have in your hand.

Upstart Goblin is used for similar reasons providing a simple way to increase the number of Spells activated for Judgment, it does however conflict with Judgment.

The Traps
-Most Priestess centeric builds have room for little to no traps, in the few spaces available generic stuff like Bottomless Trap Hole, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Phoenix Wind Wing Blast Solemn Warning/Judgment, Torrential Tribute usually has first shot. The deck can also use Royal Decree, due to the low count, or run a singular Treacherous Trap Hole. 

The Extra Deck
-As I've mentioned Prophecy/Spellbook do a small amount of level manipulation, pair that with Tuners and Tragoedia you can go into a wide array of Xyzs and Synchros, including Number 11: Big Eye, Gachi Gachi, Arcanite Magician, Stardust Dragon, even Gustaph if given the chance.

The Side Deck
-This format your main concern should be Dragons, Evilswarm and EEV, Rivalry, Summon Limit, an increased trap count, and Hand Traps are all good choices this format.

Successful builds of the format:

2nd Aussie Nats(Priestessless) - http://duelistground...howtopic=153423

http://duelistground...howtopic=153443

http://duelistground...howtopic=153408

http://duelistground...howtopic=153414

POST-JOTL

XXI - The World

-Prophecy will likely be taking a hit on the Banlist, this theme'd Judgment Dragon is likely to be hte focus of this deck once that happens it has a powerful effect and respectable attack.

PRE-Tachyon

Spoiler

Fr0ZeN

Fr0ZeN

「NiggazGottaLearn」

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
In a few weeks this thread will pop! Decks good!

Kahu

Kahu

The Ruler of Earl's Projects - Not Earl

• ~The Organization~
  • 3132 posts
I've been considering maining the Seal here as a means of sustaining better field presence, whether it be early or late game.

Pros:
Seal gives Priestess 3k ATK, getting rid of the problem of being run over, thus making Priestess infinitely more resilient.
Seal guards your weaker casters. The greatest advantage of this being the ability to get a Priestess on the field and then follow up with Jowgen.
Terraforming can be run to search either field at will, freeing up Secrets/Grimoire to search for other cards ever so slightly.

I'm also considering Safe Zone. Safe Zone can be turned off temporarily with Wisdom, allowing you to keep a Priestess or Empress on the field for longer periods of time with less Wisdoms and without as much worry of a rogue MST or the likes, somewhat solving the deck's primarily problem of field presence while capitalizing on its ability to summon large monsters for minimum cost.

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
Why would run the Seal when Institute exists? I mean I don't deny the theory of it, but Institute is what lets you win, or else you're going to run out of your better Spellbooks fast. I just don't see the deck functioning without Institute, and supporting 2 Field Spells seems a bit idealistic.

Zeppelin

Zeppelin

Stage 5 clinger

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

I've been considering maining the Seal here as a means of sustaining better field presence, whether it be early or late game.

Pros:
Seal gives Priestess 3k ATK, getting rid of the problem of being run over, thus making Priestess infinitely more resilient.
Seal guards your weaker casters. The greatest advantage of this being the ability to get a Priestess on the field and then follow up with Jowgen.
Terraforming can be run to search either field at will, freeing up Secrets/Grimoire to search for other cards ever so slightly.

I'm also considering Safe Zone. Safe Zone can be turned off temporarily with Wisdom, allowing you to keep a Priestess or Empress on the field for longer periods of time with less Wisdoms and without as much worry of a rogue MST or the likes, somewhat solving the deck's primarily problem of field presence while capitalizing on its ability to summon large monsters for minimum cost.

Wait till you test it. It's not very good. You want to play their themed field spell anyway. It turns into a dead draw and why do you want to protect your smaller monsters? Their all floaters anyway.

Edit: somewhat ninja'd

Fr0ZeN

Fr0ZeN

「NiggazGottaLearn」

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Why did you never include Charioteer in the OP? It's perfectly viable as a one of in pure builds.

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
Added it.

Hellviper

Hellviper

Guardian

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
Glad this thread was finally made. Spellbooks are easily my favorite Deck currently in the game.

@Kahu, Safe Zone is great here. Protecting Priestess is a big deal. I've been running 2 lately.

Edit: I think you should also list Apprentice Magician. Being a nice Tower searchable monster is nice, and random plays like giving Breaker another counter is funny / can catch them off guard.

Fr0ZeN

Fr0ZeN

「NiggazGottaLearn」

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Posted Image

What I'm using, side deck is very negotiable.

Hellviper

Hellviper

Guardian

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted Image

Why Charioteer? (Honestly I've never been much of a fan of him, I feel like his space can be better used.).

Also how has Hanged Man been testing for you, have you tried Apprentice Magician?

Fr0ZeN

Fr0ZeN

「NiggazGottaLearn」

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted Image

Why Charioteer? (Honestly I've never been much of a fan of him, I feel like his space can be better used.).

Also how has Hanged Man been testing for you, have you tried Apprentice Magician?

Probably can switch him to try Jowgen (or Justice) since they are both there for soft lock purposes. But Hanged Man vs Apprentice are both up in the air. They both have their pros and cons, but since I run one less Breaker I chose Hanged Man for the flexibility and Temper search.

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
I don't like Hanged that much to be honest, he's slow, and has few targets. I was running Chaos Sorcerer as an extra Justice target, but really I hate drawing it early so much.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

I played spellcasters before it was cool...

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
never cared for traps in this deck tbh
i will never stop plugging summoner monk and gagaga, off a spellbook of life you can make almost literally anything you want

Posted Image
EDIT: current build

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
Avarice seems terrible. How has it worked? Similarly how has Heavy in the main functioned, I've already given my thoughts on Monk, Strength, and Gagaga, so I won't say anything other than that there are better cards.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
just about to test it, i figured it would help make temperance always live, havent even drawn it yet
heavy you gotta play by the situation, but the deck isnt gravekeepers, you dont always have to keep a backrow

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
Exclusives!!

Starhall is reminiscent of D-Formation, if it triggers any time it's destroyed popping it with your own Priest/Breaker could be neat, kind of like Zetakabiler in Inzektors.

Heliosphere looks bad, if it does what I think it does it's almost worst than Spellbook of Organization.

The info page did reveal that there will be new Prophecy/Spellbook cards in Cosmo Blazer though.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
i think helios may be one of the better exclusives, since close to half the deck is supposed to be spellbooks anyway, it could basically become a pot of greed, and if lets you add spellbook magician then at that point it could be that there are less cards you wont be able to add than cards you will, especially if we get some goodies in cosmo blazer

in any case the deck is incomplete and i can see this being the new xsabbers

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
If you mean X-Sabers right after Dark Soul was printed not even close, Helio has a chance of failure, a high one, which means its not going to be run competitively.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
well i dont even know what it actually does, do we have a confirmed effect for either exclusive?

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
Obviously not, but it's pretty easy to guess what they do based off the article. What does the new XX-Sabers even mean, like that is just a horrible comparison to make.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
i mean the exclusives will make it a deck, and i will look nothing like the ocg

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
But all the exclusives thus far have been terrible to meh at best? Anyway definitely going to invest in this deck since Cosmo Blazer will have more support and likely complete the deck.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
thats what im saying.... the cosmo blazer stuff...

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
I don't think the exclusives will be any good, but we'll see.

According to the article Star Hall's attack boost is permanent, once you've activated one Spellbook, Star Hall effectively floats to Veiler.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts

But all the exclusives thus far have been terrible to meh at best? Anyway definitely going to invest in this deck since Cosmo Blazer will have more support and likely complete the deck.

I don't think the exclusives will be any good, but we'll see.

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
Outside of TCG exclusives there is this thing call the Core Set.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
in any case. avarice is testing meh, it won me one game, but im probly gonna cut it, maybe side heavy and also cit book of moon for some more spellbooks

Zeppelin

Zeppelin

Stage 5 clinger

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
Tower is the only card that will be added to existing decks but in my opinion thats really all it needed. Tower is a plusing machine. Also Justice of Prophecy has a chance to be ran, I have tested it and it is somewhat lackluster. The builds I have tried it in contain traps and no Trag however so that could have an effect. I feel star hall is lackluster as well unless it counts itself on activation which wouldn't be terrible. Also I feel you need to play 1 hanged man to make very good use of Towers second effect.

I really hope tower isn't Secret.

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
ill agree with you on that one, however empress is really a strong card
its a 2300 body that can clear the opponents field and (ideally) set up the next 2 turns (since you should be drawing 2 per turn)

Zeppelin

Zeppelin

Stage 5 clinger

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
Yeah it will be in the extra but the amount of effort you need to put into getting that card out is obviously not going to be the focus of the deck

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts
my build takes like no effort, for real, spellbook of life makes it way easier than people seem to want to admit

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
It's not easy, no one has a vendetta against Empress if it were a better card and easier to make, without detracting focus away from the better cards in the deck, it'd be ran.

Can I make Empress easier if I run crappy cards like Gagaga Magician and Strength, sure is running 2 bad cards worth making a subpar Xyz? I don't think so.

I don't think you need to run Hanged Man, summoning a Veiler off while not optimal is still a free tuner. My feeling on it is, I'd run Tower even if it didn't have the second effect it's a bonus.

canasian

canasian

mfw Shell Armor

• +Ancient Moderoid
  • 3622 posts
Posted Image

This is what I've been playing with and it's been really solid.

Fate is a nice utility card to be able to search with Secrets; I find myself using the Book of Moon effect most often but even the first effect can be really useful if you can push for game and just want to get 1 backrow out of the way to do it.

The Star Halls haven't come up yet. Until tonight they were Magician's Circle, which was pretty awesome when it went off - in addition to pulling out a Justice or Apprentice Magician, I either got to rob my opponent of a Veiler, or take a look at their deck.
If I don't like Star Hall I probably won't hesitate to go back to Circle.

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
How has 3 Life and Apprentice Magician worked, it seems really unnecessary to run triple Life when it's searchable, and also can be dead without another Spellbook.

I'm actually sold on Starhall after using it a few games card is good, you only need one though.

Spoiler

canasian

canasian

mfw Shell Armor

• +Ancient Moderoid
  • 3622 posts

How has 3 Life and Apprentice Magician worked, it seems really unnecessary to run triple Life when it's searchable, and also can be dead without another Spellbook.

I'm actually sold on Starhall after using it a few games card is good, you only need one though.

Spoiler

3 Life isn't actually necessary (it hasn't been dead with 18 Spellbooks, though). One of those is easily a flexible spot I could use to run something with more utility, if I find something that fits that bill.

Apprentice Magician has been really great for me; it's the go-to summon off the Tower's effect when that happens and it gives a lot more access to Gachi and Phoenix (a pretty common scenario is Turn 1 set Apprentice, let it get run over to summon Spellbook Magician, then on my turn Flip Magician->Secrets->Magician->whatever Spellbook I need; then make Gachi).

I actually also found myself sold on Star Hall right in my next duel.
Spoiler

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
Oh wow, I'm running Apprentice now, somehow I totally glossed over the fact that Magician can search itself. Stealing the line and adding it to the OP.

EDIT: Accumalted 12 counters in a mirror with Starhall, search Neos Wiseman!!! Playing the mirror with this deck is annoying as fuck.

canasian

canasian

mfw Shell Armor

• +Ancient Moderoid
  • 3622 posts

EDIT: Accumalted 12 counters in a mirror with Starhall, search Neos Wiseman!!! Playing the mirror with this deck is annoying as fuck.

Just came to this thread to report that I ran into a mirror and he activated Star Hall turn 2 and I was essentially fucked.
By the end of the game he was getting over my Priestess with a Power-boosted Spellbook Magician, wasn't funny =/

Fr0ZeN

Fr0ZeN

「NiggazGottaLearn」

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Does Star Hall accumulate a counter when played automatically?

hipster_marshmallow101

hipster_marshmallow101

• Loyalist
  • 2417 posts

It's not easy, no one has a vendetta against Empress if it were a better card and easier to make, without detracting focus away from the better cards in the deck, it'd be ran.

Can I make Empress easier if I run crappy cards like Gagaga Magician and Strength, sure is running 2 bad cards worth making a subpar Xyz? I don't think so.

I don't think you need to run Hanged Man, summoning a Veiler off while not optimal is still a free tuner. My feeling on it is, I'd run Tower even if it didn't have the second effect it's a bonus.

you say "better cards" but im pretty sure about the only thing im running different from your "better cards" are the monks and gagaga, in place of breakers, whom i feel, are better in the side because the deck can dodge backrows pretty easily anyway thanks to wisdom and not to mention priestess

gagaga opens the door for any xyz, and i think its a neat tech, especially considering all the support works with it
strength is a decent body because its a one card out to thunder king, which causes all kinds of problems for the deck

originally i ran breakers, didnt like them because all i played were chaos dragons, even now i dont think its that important of a card choice, i ran gagaga just so i had an extra target for monk and its tested amazing for me

have you even tried it? or are you just telling me that im bad? not trying to sound petulant, but im actually curious

Donnie

Donnie

マーベラス

• Duelist
  • 4571 posts
I'm not sure how running crappy monk is a defense for using the situational and crappier Gagaga Magician, I mean if you just want to Xyz out the wahoo sure, but other than being Spellcasters they have no synergy with the deck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users