Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Translation HQ - Shadow Specters

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3959 posts
http://pic.newwise.c...gqzlghgkw3x.jpg
Crows by and by.

Dark Evangel

Dark Evangel

III - CV: Ohara Sayaka

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Oh, I didn't even realized that the second Oni wasn't translated with Blood in the English name. Then just go with whatever feels good to you guys on it.

Your text for Chau is really incorrect, the correct activation window is during attack declaration of a monster you control that is battling an opponent's monster and they use a Normal Trap.

I like the word Phantom a lot so I suggest that for the wood and water dragons, otherwise no preference.

What're we deciding for the tanukis? Keep it, or change it to raccoon? The only edge I see for raccoon is the veteraccoon pun.

It's Sabalhawk, as in Sabre+Global-hawk

I really don't like how Day Grepher looks, it bothers me to no end.

Suggesting Rumbling Rock for Granmarg so you can go R-R, also I'm pretty sure the drawing is simultaneous with the destruction

Suggesting Dirty Commissioner, but it seems like we're more against changing katakana than we used to be so it's up to you

Pyrallis' name is an irritating pun in Japanese, do we wanna keep it and try to cram violet/purple and fire/flame/etc into one word or translate the name directly?

I like Awakening of the Monarchs to match with March and to ignore the Kanji pun

Kahu

Kahu

The Ruler of Earl's Projects - Not Earl

• ~The Organization~
  • 3186 posts

Is it Day Grepher, or Dei Grepher?

Druids should be Druis and Uid respectively.

The BK spell should be Battlin' Boxin' Spirit.

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
Honestly I prefer Dei Grepher, and if R&D follows their patterns, Dei Grepher is much more likely.

What're we deciding for the tanukis? Keep it, or change it to raccoon? The only edge I see for raccoon is the veteraccoon pun.

Raccoon Rascal vs Tanuki Tyke
Veteraccoon vs Vetanuki

Those are the options I've got flotting about in my head.

Also, do we have anywhere that might have HQs of the remaining cards, or is everyone in LOCKDOWN because of fear of Konmai.

I like the word Phantom a lot so I suggest that for the wood and water dragons, otherwise no preference.

Honestly I hate Phantom with Gen. As most of the time I see it used in fantasy animu/manga/card gamin' Japanese stuff, the use often seems to trend towards what colloquial english would attach to Mythical/Legendary (or even Rare) than Phantom with most things.

Though if the consensus is Phantom then "Phantom Dragon of Wood" and "Phantom Dragon of Water"?

Pyrallis' name is an irritating pun in Japanese, do we wanna keep it and try to cram violet/purple and fire/flame/etc into one word or translate the name directly?

I'd really not rather cram the pun in that hard as it's a dumb JPN pun that doesn't go well into English. Hell, you can't really drag it into English, unless we went with something dumb like Pyrallis the Purpyro Dragon or something lame.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

The Ruler of Benevolence - Your Translator

• ~+-Superior of the In-Between-+~
  • 20705 posts

What're our Pyrallis options?

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
Okay, the basic thing is it's name is thus:

焔紫[ほむら]竜[りゅう]ピュラリス

焔紫 (Flame/Blaze) + (Purple) is an abnormal punny reading of plain 焔 (Flame/Blaze), as it's saying it's a Dragon with Purple Flames, hurrhurr laugh at our shitty joke, laugh, you bastards.

(As an aside, Japanese players seem to sorta-kinda think the use of Homura might a punny nod towards Formula.)

So basically "Flame Dragon Pyrallis" "Pyrallis the Purple Flame Dragon" "Purpyro Dragon Pyrallis" or "Homura Dragon Pyrallis"

Kahu

Kahu

The Ruler of Earl's Projects - Not Earl

• ~The Organization~
  • 3186 posts

Pyrallis Dragon of the Violet Flame.

Dark Evangel

Dark Evangel

III - CV: Ohara Sayaka

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

K, I'm going on a month long vacation starting tomorrow and I don't intend on touching anything YGO related for the mean time, so I'm just gonna throw all my suggestions in one go along with some reasoning for them, do with them as you see fit. See you guys in a month or so.

As said before, I like Conspiring Druid and Conspiracy Shield

I like Phantom Wood Dragon and Phantom Water Dragon, but I don't really mind with whatever other word you guys wanna use for gen

I feel like calling the two other dragons something like Protect Dragon of Heavy Arms and Drain Dragon of Soul Devouring or something sounds better than just plain Protect Dragon and Drain Dragon

50/50 on Tanuki vs Raccoon, up to your preference

Shadow Vampire should be Vampire Shadow, but again, if we no longer feel like changing katakana names that's fine too

Rakshasa, but I'm sure you guys know this already

Gonna have to put my vote for Dei Grepher

I'm like sure the psychic is Genomics Fighter as in Engrish/Konmai and the English name is gonna be something simple like Genome Fighter

The new plant princess is actually Malina, not Marina

Rumbling Rock, as said before

A Murder of Crows is the best translation for the crows card, but I'm not sure if Konmai would be up for that word. Of course, one can argue that that's up to Konmai to come up with something then, but I personally feel like that's a cop-out.

Risebell the Star Waker / Caller or something?

Djinn Judge Buster and simply Judge Fiend

Melias the Wood Spirit

Felgrand Dragoon I feel like is the perfect name for this, works so well

Pyrallis the Violet Blaze Dragon or something works fine

Kiganjou is interesting. The name literally means Demon Stone Castle, the reading reminds one of Gigan Castle, while the other way of writing it is actually the Japanese name for the Leblanc novel L'aiguille creuse. Don't have a preference, go wild with this.

Mirresonance and Pot of Duplicity we should be good on I think?

For Kikodoudou, I like Triumphant because of Chivalry (Ifuudoudou) before it. If not that, I at least still insist on it being only one word to match it.

Awakening of the Monarchs, as was said

No problem with Breath of the Valiant

Survival of the Fittest

Daikinboshi means a huge unexpected win. So something on that line of thinking would be good.

Anyway, that's all I got, see you guys in a bit~ <3

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
I think Yata should be Bujingi Crow/Raven, Hachi should be Bujingi Centipede, Ikuta should be Bujingi Boar

Not sure what this guy should be
http://images3.wikia...i-SHSP-JP-C.png

UltimateKuriboh

UltimateKuriboh

XIII - The Researcher

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Conspiracy Cover, or Shield of Conspiracy: Battle Damage should not be capitalized.

BK Cheat Commissioner: specify that the card is Set to your side of the field. Cards as recent as "Doomkaiser Dragon" (the Duelist League PSCT print) still specify that sort of thing.

The Druid with 1800 ATK: chop off "but its effects are negated." and make a separate sentence saying "Its effects are negated." See "Zombowwow" and "Crane Crane" for reference.

The Duel Terminal story card with badass Steelswarm Roach: (Personal comment: You sure it targets?)

Murder of Crows: Nowadays, if you want to randomize card discarding, you let your opponent choose. Meaning, "Discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand."

Bujingi - Yata: "monster you control is targeted for an attack by an opponent's monster: You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; negate that attack, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half the ATK of the (attacker?/monster that attacked?). Based on lores of "Cyber Valley" and "Power Frame".

Pumprincess: Each time it just says "Continuous Spell", make sure it says "Continuous Spell Card" instead.

Probably more, but will get to them some other time.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

I will leave Yata as is unless pressured not to, on grounds of Yata being a term with some history in this game - intentional callback mode is activated

the card you linked is an Ibis

Deadborder

Deadborder

V - Sweet Trick

• ~The Organization~
  • 2492 posts
Honestly, even if it is something of a callback, I feel like leaving Bujingi Yata as Yata is kind of awkward. It may not be so much a reference to Yugioh's Yata-garasu as it is to the Yatagarasu of myth. It's kinda like saying if there was a "Bujingi Inaba" we should leave it as it references the Yugioh card Inaba White Rabbit.

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
Note: チャウチャウ = Name of a Chinese breed of Dog called the "Chow Chow". It's also a funny pun because ちゃうちゃう "That's not true!" and ちゃう "Wasn't it?"/"No!"/"Isn't it?". So stupid Yuma name, how to go about it.

I'll go over other stuff when I have HQ art in front of me.

Archlord Azrael

Archlord Azrael

Number XV

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Isn't chauchowchan used in the anime? Or is that JP only so far.

Bujingi Yatagarasu I don't see being affected.

Knight Dai Grepher for unbelievably puns.

Cheesedude

Cheesedude

Number IX

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

The dub is no where near the episode where Chauchowchan was used, Dan.

I don't like how "Day Grepher" looks.

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
I'd prefer Dei Grepher. Will respond when done with images and I'm not on the end of things.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

Prelim work is complete on all eighty.

Begin the full sweep.

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
SHSP-JP001
Are we leaving the flavor text in Japanese?

SHSP-JP002
Chauchow-chan?
Is that how we wish to handle the Chauchau / Chow Chow pun?

SHSP-JP003~5
Do we want Malivorous or Malicevorous?

Malicevorous Spoon:
"Effects of a monster Special Summoned by that effect are negated" sounds really awkward. Can you make it sound less clunky?

SHSP-JP008/9
An'yaku no Druid Wiid / Driuz
Okay, looking up a Japanese thesaurus, An'yaku seems to be a synonym for "Unseen activities", "String pulling", "Mastermind", "Behind the scenes activities", "Deplorable actions", "Plot", "Conspiracy", "Machinations", "Scheming"

Dictionary defines it as "Actuons not know to a person" / "Actions occuring unknown to others".

English to Japanese defines it:
be active behind the scenes
【形式ばった表現】 engage in secret maneuvers.
用例
この事件には, 裏で暗躍する黒幕の存在がささやかれている. Rumor has it that there is someone to be found in this affair who has been pulling the wires from behind.

SHSP-JP010~11
I really don't like Phantom for these two. I'd suggest those, asking Dylan, Eva or Kau what might be a good idea, as these are based on elemental Taoism.

SHSP-JP019
For the card on DN, I think we'd be fine with just Yukionna, no apostrophe.

SHSP-JP023
I think like Dan suggested, Bujingi Yata might be just fine. But Yatagarasu is fine by me.
You can only use the effect of "Bujin Relic - Yata" once per turn.
^ Should be Bujingi [ name].

SHSP-JP028
Just a note, it's based off of a Kalinin K-7.

SHSP-JP034
Are we good with Vampire Killer?

At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a DARK monster: Destroy that monster.
What card text are you extrapolating from.

SHSP-JP036
As a note, Rasetsu is just the Japanese term for a Rakshasa

SHSP-JP037
While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with these effects.
● This card becomes an EARTH Dinosaur-Type monster.
● When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon it in face-up Defense Position. Monsters Special Summoned by this effect are treated as Zombie-Type monsters while they are face-up on the field.

What's the precident for splitting this card's text up like this?

SHSP-JP038
I say it shouldn't be Knight Day Grepher, Dei here is a homonym and sounds close to Dai, it's the guy's name.

SHSP-JP039
I know you dislike me doing this, but prelim rulings for:
"During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon monsters, except monsters of the declared Type."

Have it worded that if you Normal/Special Summon this guy, you can use its effect.

SHSP-JP041
Gou Chitei Granmarg
I like Rugged Rock Monarch or Rock Emperor. As a note, the term 剛 itself seems to be used in terms of incredible strength, hardness or bravery. Would I be ridiculous for suggesting Rock-Hard Monarch or Adamantine Monarch/Adamantine Emperor?

A Murder of Crows
While Murder is the technical term for a group of Crows, should we go with it? A Flock of Crows?

SHSP-JP043
Capitalize "change" for change all other

SHSP-JP065
Regard Pot of Duplicity, do we want this. Or do we want to go with a word that combines Avarice but yet Benevolence.

SHSP-JP066
The term for this card's name refers to military soldiers lined up, with a sense of dignity and granduer. I'm trying to think of something besides Pomp and Circumstance or Parade. Basically whatever the term would be for military soldiers probably doing things in unified sequence.

SHSP-JP067
Tei-Oh no Kaigan we know Kaigan is a pun on Awakening / Enlightenment , Granmarg seems like he might be turning into his 8 Star form. Hrm. Could we possibly go with "Metamorphosis of the Monarchs"? I'm kind of reminded of the story of Galatea here for some reason.

SHSP-JP070
As a note Ribaasu here is a pun. They're using it as Rebirth and Reverse (as in FLIP). Though I guess with Limit Reverse, Burst Reverse is okay?

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

001 - No, I'm going to let everyone take a shot at the flavor text and make the tone a collaborative thing before we make the thread public.

002 - Seemed like the easiest means - acknowledging both Chow Chow and chauchau at the same time.

003/4/5 - I thought about it, but decided against changing things. We will leave clunkiness fixing to Konami when it comes to Katakana names. As for making it sound less clunky, I think Crane Crane has a clause we can use. Go dig it up.

008/9 - The difficulty here, for me, partially has to do with how "An'yaku no Druid" isn't separated from the rest of the card name in the usual way, but has the "there is intentionally a space here" marker, exemplified by that dot in the name. Without that dot, it'd be a simple and certain "Title, Proper Name" situation. This time, I'm not so sure and I'm stuck wondering, what if the proper names are "X Druid", and the titles are just "An'yaku no"?

Also, I didn't go with the usual "Drue" and "Wihd" for these two because the kana seem... not quite like they're really what you get when you take the word "Druid" and cut it down the middle. They're corruptions, corruptions that may lead to pun land.

"An'yaku no" as a title may work as "the Duplicitous"

010/11 - Eva seemed to like Phantom, and Eva is also on vacation, so asking Eva for alternates is a no-go.

019 - I'd rather we didn't avoid the apostrophe. Konami's taken on a tendency at points of going even more literal than us with its localization of japanese concepts and thematics: none of us saw Susanowo actually being localized verbatim, since we never see anything localize it verbatim ever, period, anywhere. "Wo" is a kana almost never read as such, and we tried to predict that, and took the predictable step - and got blindsided.

That, and it doesn't hurt anything.

So, rather than play the predictive game, we may as well be as accurate as our Hepburn Romanization can let us be.

023 - Dan was the source of Yatagarasu as a term for it, and I'm glad to go back to the more accurate shorthand. After all, Yata-garasu works for calling something "Crow of the Yata [Mirror]", but seldom is the mirror itself called "Yata-Garasu". And this monster must serve as both the crow - the Garasu - and the mirror - the Yata. Its more important role is as the mirror, so "Yata" is moreso short for "Yata no Kagami" than the Garasu.

028 - This is why I chose Griffin - it's a spelling of Gryphon that works in the "in" from Kalinin, while also never having been used before in the English TCG (to mirror how this card doesn't share kana with other Gryphon-related cards).

034 - I like it this way and almost wanna invoke "we aren't Konami so we shouldn't bother changing its name in this case" privileges because of the import of the Castlevania franchise. I extrapolate from something more recent - punch the phrase "At the start of the Damage Step, if this card is" into DN, for example.

036 - Noted, although I'd love to know how one can find the equivalence terms so easily. I haven't seen anything on it but wikipedia, and I kind of want us to have a primary source rather than secondary source for all these things. The same check should be made for Aratama.

037 - No precedent at all, but it is a logical consequence of our medium being able to use linebreaks to separate effects clearly. Actual cards don't have the space to do it some of the time, which is an acceptable limitation for them, but not for electronic media. The fact that the Japanese language doesn't use singular and plural as we do is also what makes it possible; "this effect" and "these effects" are written the same way.

038 - Dei, then, since we're all in agreement - let's not forget that Dei has its own pun through Latin.

039 - Hence why I said to hunt for Bahamut Shark clauses - but let's use the kana to make our conclusions, not just j-wiki rulings.

041 - I vote for Rugged Rock.

042 - Why wouldn't we go w/ Murder?

065 - We can always install better words. I'd like it to start with a D if possible.

066 - how about "Grandeur" in and of itself as a name?

067 - Metamorphosis may work. Elucidate regarding the Galatea.

Cheesedude

Cheesedude

Number IX

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Greatly prefer Malicevorous.

I really dislike Phantom for the dragons. For Number 46, I also don't like Aetherdrake, but I have no suggestions besides "keep it as "Ethereal Dragon"".

I'd go with Rugged Rock Monarch.

Why would we go with murder? I know is the technical term, but I can't see that name being kept. "Flock" means the same thing (though I wouldn't mind keeping Murder solely so I can make Bioshock Infinite references while using it).

Why "Adjuditicutter" instead of Adjudicutting? "Cutter" sounds grammatically incorrect to me. Yeah, they cuts things, but...

Archlord Azrael

Archlord Azrael

Number XV

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

001 - labradoridragon seems fine. rabidragon etc

002- bow-wow chan.

003/4/5 all are perfectly fine. 

6/7 are fine

8/9 - I am not fluent enough to know anyaku. 

10/11 - ..Wood Dragon and Ocean Dragon

12 - salamence. Hey vegeta! it's a pokaymon!

13 - Golden Drain Dragon

14 - Tanukit Ponpoko. A kit is a baby raccoon. 

15 - Tanukit Tantan

16 - Ghostrick Lanturn

17 - Ghostrick Specter

18 - Ghostrick Magician Girl because you know this will happen

19 - Ghostrick Snow Girl

20 - Ghostrick Jiang

21 - Ghostrick Stien

22 - Bujins are fine .

27 - Mecha Phantom Beast Saberhawk

28 - Mecha Phantom Beast Eagle portmentau with big ass plane name

29 - Vampire Sorcerer

30 - Vampire Shadow. - These will all start with the archtype name. This is the TCG.

31 - Vampire grace seems okay

32 - pumprincess the princess of ghosts is self explanitory, yet sounds terrible. Is there a one syllable word for princess?

33 - you guys completely freaking nailed this one.

34 - Vampire Bellmont

35 - Ara-tama

36 - Rasetsu

37 - SKULL GREYMON OMG DIGIMON ARE IN THIS SET TOO

38 - Knight Dei Grepher. There is no other name this card will have.

39 - megaman the lion. Genomix Fighter is fine lol

40 - Rose Witch ocg import generating device, Malina.

41 - Granmarg the Rock Emperor. I do think they will do this.

42 - There is no way murder is appearing in a card name. Migration Crows

43 - it's... it's hammers spawn... but.. tsuchinoko is from metal gear.. a konami game.. 

44 - Risebell the star Aligner 

45 - Blue Duston

46 - Number C96: Dark Storm

47 - Number 65: Judge Buster the Adjudicutting Djinn

48 - Number C65: Judge Doom the Adjudicutting King

49 - Burning Knuckler Cheat Comissioner

50 - Number 46: Draggulon The Divine Draekther

51 - Number 64 (why is this below 65 in the set list order): Sandaio the Vetanuki

52 - Ghostrick Alucard

53 - yEEEEEEEEEE boi

54 - Vampire BAMF - Eldridge. Master of pixies.

55 - Melia the Nesswood Waifu

56 - Divine Dragoon Felgrand 

57 - Barney the purple dinodrag

58 - I had a huge talk about how I felt this card should be named. I forget now. Something like Island ogre grotto or something.

59 - Gagaga Tag out

60 - 65 are all AOK

66 - I have no sweet merciful clue

67 - Manifesting the Monarchs

68 - Breath of the Valiant

69 - Duston Mop

70 - Insanely broken trap card

71 - Number Overlay Upgrade

72 - Destroying the Evidence

73 - Ghostrick out seems like a weird name but i've nothing to gon

74 - good

75 is also good

76 is fine

77 is fine

78 - Sacrificial Prison

79 - Survival of the Fittest

80 - Royal Flush (we already has full house)

UltimateKuriboh

UltimateKuriboh

XIII - The Researcher

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

@Azrael, no "Dragoon" for Felgrand. See "Dark Blade the Dragon Knight", "Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight", "Dragon Knight Draco-Equeste", etc..

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
@001:
I loved Dec's take on it
"A dragon covered in scales that give off a unique and beautiful shine called "labradorescence". The dazzling light borne from these scales has the power to soothe the wavering souls and stir the emotions of those who see it. --It is said that this light shines even through memories of past lives and reunites those who were once close."

@003:
Crane Crane is: "When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Level 3 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. Its effects are negated. You can only use the effect of "Crane Crane" once per turn."

@008/9:

I kind of want to tie back to the whole conspiracy story the Deck tells. I like Duplicitous tho

@035: Dictionaries are the main use. But I'm not quite following the logic. It's a fairly easy to look up term on a dictionary. Aratama is another name for the Aramitama from what I can tell. That one's name can be left alone.

@039: I listed all the recognizble cards on the first page.

@042: Murder's a bad word.

@066: I could go with that.

@067: Mostly it kind of just makes me think of something coming to life from stone, which reminded me of Galatea, . The name itself means basically awakening from stone. You could go about it as "coming to life from stone", in a circasteous way. And Metamorphose/Metamorphosis is a name of a play based on the Galatea story.

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts

001 - labradoridragon seems fine. rabidragon etc

Think Alexandrite and Lusters, more. Labradorite would fit that subgroup's pattern.

UltimateKuriboh

UltimateKuriboh

XIII - The Researcher

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Chauchow-Chan: Can't we just say "When a monster you control attacks an opponent's monster and they (OR your opponent) activates a Normal Trap Card:"? The phrase "At attack declaration" for "Light End Dragon" is archaic, and that has since been replaced by the wording of "Bull Blader". Wouldn't use the wording of "Bull Blader" here though, since it only applies when it battle another monster.

Malicevorous Spoon: Give it the "Crane Crane" phrase, "Its effects are negated."

JP010: "this card's Level becomes the Level of that monster." See "Gagaga Child" and "Gimmick Puppet Gear Changer".

Drain Dragon: Must be Special Summoned by the effect of a Dragon-Type Xyz Monster you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (FYI: The term "possess" is only used to describe  when the card you own is destroyed by an opponent's card.)

Ponpoko: "You cannot Special Summon any monsters during the turn you activate this effect, except Beast-Type monsters." See "Chronomaly Sol Monolith" and "Battlin' Boxer Switchitter". Make sure it doesn't have a "Bahamut Shark" clause. =P

"Ghostrick" monsters: "Cannot be Normal Summoned unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster (but can be Normal Set)." See Toon monsters and the traditional "Guardian" monsters. The word "face-up" should be ignored, as Konami is phasing that out in more recent sets than Legendary Collection: Yugi's World.

Ghostrick Magi: "change that target to face-down Defense Position."

I believe Yuki-onna should have an hyphen in it, mainly because that's how it seems to be in English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna

Ghostrick Kyonshee: "You can add 1 "Ghostrick" monster from your Deck to your hand, whose Level is less than or equal to the "Ghostrick" monsters you control." Based on "Chaos Zone" and "Spellbook Star Hall", both of which are cards that add to hands and have PSCT.

Bujin Mikazuchi: Remove "either by battle or by card effect". It's unnecessary in this context of card lore. Also, remove the word "face-up" from the sentence "You can only control 1 "Bujin Mikazuchi"." Based on the English proxy of Yamato.

Vampire Sorcerer: If possible, I'd like to tweak wording to "You can add either 1 DARK "Vampire" monster or 1 "Vampire" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand." I just don't like the phrase, "You can add to your Deck from your hand 1..." =/

Vampire Grace: Move "While this card is in your Graveyard" to the front of the sentence and add a comma after it. Adapted after "Gogogo Gigas".

Rasetsu: "You cannot Special Summon during the turn you activate this effect." Adapted after "Thunder Sea Horse" and "Cardcar D".

Natural Bone Saurus: Consider looking at "Phoenix Gearfried" on what to do with 2 effects.

Murder of Crows: It's not "randomly discard 1", it's "discard 1 random". "Spellbook Library of the Crescent" and other cards that do the "random adding" effect always use "randomly". Otherwise, it's always "random".

Tsuchinoko: "When this card is Special Summoned: Change all..."

Battlin' Boxer Cheat Commissioner: Replace 3rd effect with the wording of "Bull Blader", i.e. "When an attack is declared involving another "Battlin' Boxer" monster you control and an opponent's monster:" (Don't forget my other suggestion about this card in an earlier post.)

Melia the Ashwood Nymph AND Number 46: "You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then activate 1 of these effects." Adapted after "Gem-Knight Emeral" and "Number 87: Queen of the Night".

Number 64: "That Token's ATK becomes equal to the ATK of the 1 face-up monster on the field..."

Bujin Kagutsuchi: Remove the word "face-up" from the sentence "You can only control 1 "Bujin Kagutsuchi"." Based on the English proxy of Yamato.

Battlin'/Burnin' Boxer Spirit: "Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position."

Dragon Shield: "It cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effect, also neither player takes battle damage from battles involving it."

Ghostrick House: I suggest the current lore the Wiki has. http://yugioh.wikia....Ghostrick_House

Bujin Regalia - The Mirror: I suggest the current lore the Wiki has. http://yugioh.wikia....ia_-_The_Mirror (Adapted after "Scramble! Scramble!".)

Pot of Duplicity: "You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this card." See "Puppet Ritual".

Pomp and Circumstance (JP066): I suggest the current lore the Wiki has. http://yugioh.wikia....nd_Circumstance (Based on "Vylon Stigma").

Ghostrick Out: "...cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects." See "Forbidden Robe" and "Metallizing Parasite - Soltite".

Vampire Shift: "If your Field Spell Card Zone is unused and the only face-up monsters you control (if any) are Zombie-Type:"

Struggle for Survival: "by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: The equipped monster can make"

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

Ult:

Chow: found a text that splits the difference.

Spoon: done.

010: done.

Drain: best to not use either possess or control: splitting the difference.

Ponpoko: I'm going to need help hunting the Bahamut Clause.

Ghostrick: excellent job finding that.

Magi: not sure if we want it to be Magi. Also, "that target" is wrong.

Yuki-onna: all hail the power of wikipedia - this gives reason to eliminate that apostrophe that others were hung up about.

Kyonshee: good.

Mikazuchi: I don't get how it isn't necessary. that's what the card asks for: it excludes other means of destruction, like by a game mechanic.

Sorcerer: excellent. Adding commas to make sure it isn't misinterpretable.

Grace: good.

Rasetsu: good.

Saurus: I'm loath to do it, but hello precedent. I don't like cards saying "this is my effect" when there's more than one.

Murder: Good.

Tsuchinoko: and to think I'm an MGS fan and messed this one up... well, at least it's a minor error. The Boss won't hurt me too bad.

Commish: excellent.

Melia/46: Good.

64: we may want to crib from the Wicked Avatar playbook instead of the Smashing Ground playbook. All the cards like Smashing Ground are like "if a tie, choose", and that ties into their wording. Avatar doesn't care for subtleties of choice in its text.

Kagu: good.

Spirit: good.

Shield: good.

House: wrote this lore specifically because the roundabout way the wiki's lore functions is... adversely silly. This lore tells you exactly what the card does.

Mirror: now THIS is some good adaptation - "outnumber" is an EXCELLENT tool for us to be able to use. However, part of the wiki lore seems to be outright wrong: the card doesn't deny ST activations, just ST effect activations, and it doesn't say jack about any End Phase. I can play Tenki w/o recruiting just fine, for example, and the card's powers expire at the same point as a Shock Master would.

Pot: good.

066: splitting the difference...

Out: I deem precedent set by March of the Monarchs to be clearer, thus better.

Shift: where's your precedence?

Struggle: excellent.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

@001:
I loved Dec's take on it
"A dragon covered in scales that give off a unique and beautiful shine called "labradorescence". The dazzling light borne from these scales has the power to soothe the wavering souls and stir the emotions of those who see it. --It is said that this light shines even through memories of past lives and reunites those who were once close."

@003:
Crane Crane is: "When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Level 3 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. Its effects are negated. You can only use the effect of "Crane Crane" once per turn."

@008/9:

I kind of want to tie back to the whole conspiracy story the Deck tells. I like Duplicitous tho

@035: Dictionaries are the main use. But I'm not quite following the logic. It's a fairly easy to look up term on a dictionary. Aratama is another name for the Aramitama from what I can tell. That one's name can be left alone.

@039: I listed all the recognizble cards on the first page.

@042: Murder's a bad word.

@066: I could go with that.

@067: Mostly it kind of just makes me think of something coming to life from stone, which reminded me of Galatea, . The name itself means basically awakening from stone. You could go about it as "coming to life from stone", in a circasteous way. And Metamorphose/Metamorphosis is a name of a play based on the Galatea story.

001: done.

003: alright.

008/9: Elucidate the story of the episode for our readers, and "duplicitous" may honestly fit extremely well in light of that.

035: Excellent. Rakshasa, then.

039: Ah crap. I'm in for it, then.

042: for Konami, yes. I'm loath to dodge the word just because of that, though: "Vampire Killer" is going unchanged in our work tonight. However, this name isn't katakana, so... Flock.

066: Grandeur it is.

067: I like this Galatea point, but "Molding" can also work, as can "Making". Thoughts?

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts

008/9: Elucidate the story of the episode for our readers, and "duplicitous" may honestly fit extremely well in light of that.

The Druids themselves don't appear, but basically:

Durbe was the hero of a kingdom many many may generations ago who rode the mythical pegasus, a regal knight beloved by all. He fought with a team of knights. However, fed up with a lack of power and driven by their own greed, Durbe's fellow knights tried to usurp the King's throne and seize control for themselves. Durbe, learning this, returned to the kingdom to speak reason into them. However, driven by their own envy and greed, they ended up slaying Durbe and Pegasus (Number 44).

The story ends with the knights realizing the error of their ways, creating a tomb to honor their old friend, as his and Pegasus' soul ascended to Heaven(?).

067: I like this Galatea point, but "Molding" can also work, as can "Making". Thoughts?

Making/Molding/Metamorphosis are all fine to me.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

Adjudicutting vs. Adjudicutter - makes it into a verb, "the Adjudicating Djinn" + "the Cutting Djinn" sounds better than "The adjudicator djinn + cutter djinn"

potential different name for 080 - "It's Over!?"

Archlord Azrael

Archlord Azrael

Number XV

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

If it can be two words, and don't have any specific necessary meaning, I feel even better about royal flush.

UltimateKuriboh

UltimateKuriboh

XIII - The Researcher

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I believe the part about "Bujin Regalia - The Mirror" shares some lore with "The Big Cattle Drive"? Specifically the no Spell/Trap Cards bit? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Number 66: Remove the word "by" from "or by card effects". Based on "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters.

Vampire Shift: The word "unused" comes from "Numbing Grub in the Ice Barrier" and the newer "Number 57" (showing that it wasn't just a fluke). However, the rest of the wording is fine.

Trivia time: The one guy's hands in "Jackpot!?" are the same as the one hand in "Ante".......... And I'm willing to bet a dollar to a donut that Spell Card in the artwork is "Ante".

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

Altered Sandayu as requested.

Altered Mirror as requested. The kana on Big Cattle don't match Big Cattle's english text, either.

The kana for 57 don't match Shift.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

Making the thread public now.

Enzio

Enzio

Saikyo Densetsu

• -The Nobodies-
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Judge Buster and Judge Devil, I really prefer Judge Buster Djinn and Judge Doom without the Adjudicutting pun. It cuts out their title which is how it's usually done to my knowledge, the only weird thing here is that Judge Buster has Djinn as part of his title which does need to kept how, but the alliteration of the J sound in Judge Buster Djinn sounds good to me, the name sort of flows. I also really like Judge Dread over Judge Doom.

For the new Risebell I like Star Awakener as opposed to Waker

Duplicitous starts with D but it doesn't actually have any alliteration of Druid because of starting with the hard D sound, but there are a plethora of good words to use and starting with D at least gives some direction to pick one I suppose. I like the word Devious because of duplicitous overlapping with Pot of Duplicity.

I don't know why the alliteration needs to be forced on Survival Strife, just call it Survival of the Fittest.

I'm not sure what what Tanukit is from but it could also be Tanukid.

Was there a reason for the odd spelling on Gryphin?

Nex

Nex

Brave Heart

• Duelist
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

card100014036_1.jpg

SHSP-JP055

Melias no Kodama

Melia the Ashwood Nymph

Rank 3 EARTH Plant-Type Xyz Effect Monster Card

1700 ATK

900 DEF

Xyz Materials: 2 Level 3 Plant-Type monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then activate 1 of these effects.

● Send 1 Plant-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

● Target 1 Plant-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Defense Position.

well this is disappointing, thought it'd be 2 EARTH monsters like it was translated earlier from the magazine image.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

It is, I made a typo.

NeoArkadia

NeoArkadia

II - The Masquerade

• ~The Organization~
  • 3959 posts
Kit = Baby Raccoon. Blame Azrael.

I don't know why the alliteration needs to be forced on Survival Strife, just call it Survival of the Fittest.

Atem hates Survival of the Fittest for some personal reason he can explain.

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem

• 20705 posts

Judge Buster and Judge Devil, I really prefer Judge Buster Djinn and Judge Doom without the Adjudicutting pun. It cuts out their title which is how it's usually done to my knowledge, the only weird thing here is that Judge Buster has Djinn as part of his title which does need to kept how, but the alliteration of the J sound in Judge Buster Djinn sounds good to me, the name sort of flows. I also really like Judge Dread over Judge Doom.

For the new Risebell I like Star Awakener as opposed to Waker

Duplicitous starts with D but it doesn't actually have any alliteration of Druid because of starting with the hard D sound, but there are a plethora of good words to use and starting with D at least gives some direction to pick one I suppose. I like the word Devious because of duplicitous overlapping with Pot of Duplicity.

I'm not sure what what Tanukit is from but it could also be Tanukid.

Was there a reason for the odd spelling on Gryphin?

Judge Dread is too close to Judge Dredd, so I can't do that. I'll consider cutting the pun.

Devious may be good.

Survival of the Fittest is a social darwinist's maxim, not how biology works - biology doesn't trifle with silly self-aggrandizing notions of Fitness like humans do. The card aims less at "dog-eat-dog" and more at "the notion of fighting to survive". Competition in biology isn't as personal - or even as confrontational, or as necessarily harmful to one party, as it is in human actions.

A kit is a little raccoon/tanuki.

Gryphon + Kalinin = Gryphin. Griffin is not usable thanks to a kana issue.

Enzio

Enzio

Saikyo Densetsu

• -The Nobodies-
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Kit = Baby Raccoon. Blame Azrael.

Atem hates Survival of the Fittest for some personal reason he can explain.

Kit is great then. I like it.

As for that, it is almost 100% certainly going to be localized as Survival of the Fittest. Even if the original meaning of it is different than how the phrase is generally used, the meaning of words evolves with their use. If it absolutely positively can not be Survival of the Fittest, I would go with Fight for Survival which is also a recognizable and memorable phrase, and skip out on the alliteration. It doesn't always need to be forced.

Cheesedude

Cheesedude

Number IX

• ~The Organization~
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

One thing about Tanukit. It works great because it still has "Tanuki" in it, but it doesn't work for Number 64. It makes it so it doesn't have the archetype name in the card name. Tanuki isn't an archetype in the real game, but it is in the anime. Is there any way to rectify this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users