Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Frog Monarchs 2014 Deck Discussion

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

i9cv02Z.png

Monsters: 28

3 Caius the Shadow Monarch

3 Raiza the Storm Monarch

1 Mobius the Frost Monarch

1 Dark Dust Spirit

3 Light and Darkness Dragon

3 Swap Frog

3 Treeborn Frog

1 Ronintoadin

3 Battle Fader

2 Maxx "C"

2 Effect Veiler

2 Tragodeia

1 Gorz

Spells: 12

3 Soul Exchange

3 E-Con

2 Duality

2 MST

1 Dark Hole

1 Creature Swap(Tech Spot)

Extra: 15

1 Formula

1 Armory Arm (replaced by Gauntlet)

1 Cat Daddy Catastor

1 Black Rose

1 Scrap

1 Spark Radiant

2 Slacker

1 Mister 7

1 Bounzer

1 Gaia Dragon the Thunder Clap

1 Focus

1 Kappa

1 Gachi

1 Phoenix

Side: 15

2 End of Anubis

2 Vanity's Fiend

2 Jinzo

1 Mobius

1 Maxx "C"

1 Effect Veiler

2 Messenger of Peace

1 MST

1 Dust Tornado

2 Mal Cat

Choices (Before i discuss choices people should realize when playing this deck even when opening swap frog you are a turn behind vs the meta. You don't place yourself ahead at all you just send a treeborn and then if the monarch summon next turn resolves then your playing yugioh. The reason Im saying this is because without a Monarch having swap frog and treeborn do nothing.)

3 Light and Darkness Dragon - You need this card to keep up this format. Negating cards is way to important.

Dupe Frog - Card sucks. Yes it can grab you the swap but your a turn behind if you were already setting this. Its not good to play cards as just in case I don't open this. Standard 1st turn summons won't even kill this and to make sure your not falling beind you must tribute this next turn.

Mobius - IMO shouldn't need discussing as Dragons are gone. Firefist is a matchup

DDS - Dead Dude Spirit is way too good. When you live a turn vs a huge Mermail Geargia Harpie Infernity Field g1 this card is great.

2 Trag - Just because evilswarms is a deck doesn't mean this cards are bad. This guy makes rank 7's happen easier and allows you to push through fields with only one or none monarchs as he's sitting from 24 to 3600 attack. This card also makes Fire Fist waste Tenki's and Tensu's

2 Duality - I know it's pretty important for you to have swap frog, but 2 duality is good enough.

The third is usually dead and positions in which you need duality are usually: Your Ahead , You Need to Grab Monarch For Soul Ex in Hand, Burei on Field and Treeborn Not Needed, Crimson Blader, and First Turn.

2 MST not 3? - Im iffy on this I think i'll go to 3 because of 3 Chains this format but 2 was good enough for me because of Ladd.

Creature Swap - Beats Master of Blades, Can Grab the Gaios, Makes the no Monarch hands less of a problem, Makes Huge Fields way eaiser to play out of.

Radiant - This card is better for Monarchs than Dust imo. The deck really never has a field thats really important to keep like other decks with so much presence. Radiant can protect itself from the Crimson which Stardust can't and allows you to save Monarchs for Bounzer/7 Plays next turn still. Then you always have to Scrap Radiant Treeborn Play.

Cards Im iffy with Main and Extra

1. Sword Breaker - beats a deck on your turn just that 1 turn lol

1. Exa-Beetle - is it worth loosing 2 monarchs over? was bounzer/7 better?

1. Jinzo (Negating Traps is So Good and This over Mobius is the biggest issue. This allows my monarchs to not be hit by chain and allows me to save MST for other cards other than Chain.

On the side Monarchs have lots of choices. This deck hates FF and Bujins and so Smashing Ground and Mal Cats are some sides for them. As well Overworked.

Im testing Overworked now and I feel getting rid of the Monsters in the FF matchup is just as good as the MCAT. Thing about MCAT though if they Gorilla Summon it can be popped and now I loose but Overworked can be chained. Smashing on Yamatos is great and this deck provides great stress to Monarchs. Crossouts might find room over Messengers since every deck this format seems to be ok passing a turn or 2 and since Geargia is a deck I need to really have cards for it. Mermails is pretty much good for Monarchs as Maxx C is our way to swap frog if needed as well as having all the battle stoppers and End of Anubis.

Thanks for the comments on helping this deck for the new format as well as helping me with anything I missed.

POST LVAL NOW THIS IS MY BUILD

3 Swap Frog

2 Sea Lancer

2 Draw Frog

2 Treeborn

2 Ronin

1 Dupe

3 Caius

2 Raiza

2 Mega Mobius

1 Mobius

1 Jinzo

1 Tidal

2 Upstart

3 March

1 Molding

2 SOul Ex

2 E-Con

2 C Swap

1 MST

This Main was only a test and was to see the viability of molding in which draw to many with only 8 Targets was meh and Tributing for a jinzo,sea lancer, etc triggered molding and so I found that to me 3 MArch was way more important that molding. This might change as I might go back up to 2. But room is tight.

na4w1gg.png

The Main Event

The Main Event

You're just the opening act

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

http://imgur.com/i9cv02Z

Monsters: 28

3 Caius the Shadow Monarch

3 Raiza the Storm Monarch

1 Mobius the Frost Monarch

1 Dark Dust Spirit

3 Light and Darkness Dragon

3 Swap Frog

3 Treeborn Frog

1 Ronintoadin

3 Battle Fader

2 Maxx "C"

2 Effect Veiler

2 Tragodeia

1 Gorz

Spells: 12

3 Soul Exchange

3 E-Con

2 Duality

2 MST

1 Dark Hole

1 Creature Swap(Tech Spot)

Extra: 15

1 Formula

1 Armory Arm

1 Cat Daddy

1 Black Rose

1 Scrap

1 Spark Radiant

2 Slacker

1 Mister 7

1 Bounzer

1 Gaia Dragon the Thunder Clap

1 Focus

1 Kappa

1 Gachi

1 Phoenix

Side: 15

2 End of Anubis

2 Vanity's Fiend

2 Jinzo

1 Mobius

1 Maxx "C"

1 Effect Veiler

2 Messenger of Peace

1 MST

1 Dust Tornado

2 Mal Cat

Choices (Before i discuss choices people should realize when playing this deck even when opening swap frog you are a turn behind vs the meta. You don't place yourself ahead at all you just send a treeborn and then if the monarch summon next turn resolves then your playing yugioh. The reason Im saying this is because without a Monarch having swap frog and treeborn do nothing.)

3 Light and Darkness Dragon - You need this card to keep up this format. Negating cards is way to important.

Dupe Frog - Card sucks. Yes it can grab you the swap but your a turn behind if you were already setting this. Its not good to play cards as just in case I don't open this. Standard 1st turn summons won't even kill this and to make sure your not falling beind you must tribute this next turn.

Mobius - IMO shouldn't need discussing as Dragons are gone. Firefist is a matchup

DDS - Dead Dude Spirit is way too good. When you live a turn vs a huge Mermail Geargia Harpie Infernity Field g1 this card is great.

2 Trag - Just because evilswarms is a deck doesn't mean this cards are bad. This guy makes rank 7's happen easier and allows you to push through fields with only one or none monarchs as he's sitting from 24 to 3600 attack. This card also makes Fire Fist waste Tenki's and Tensu's

2 Duality - I know it's pretty important for you to have swap frog, but 2 duality is good enough.

The third is usually dead and positions in which you need duality are usually: Your Ahead , You Need to Grab Monarch For Soul Ex in Hand, Burei on Field and Treeborn Not Needed, Crimson Blader, and First Turn.

2 MST not 3? - Im iffy on this I think i'll go to 3 because of 3 Chains this format but 2 was good enough for me because of Ladd.

Creature Swap - Beats Master of Blades, Can Grab the Gaios, Makes the no Monarch hands less of a problem, Makes Huge Fields way eaiser to play out of.

Radiant - This card is better for Monarchs than Dust imo. The deck really never has a field thats really important to keep like other decks with so much presence. Radiant can protect itself from the Crimson which Stardust can't and allows you to save Monarchs for Bounzer/7 Plays next turn still. Then you always have to Scrap Radiant Treeborn Play.

Cards Im iffy with Main and Extra

1. Sword Breaker - beats a deck on your turn just that 1 turn lol

1. Exa-Beetle - is it worth loosing 2 monarchs over? was bounzer/7 better?

1. Jinzo (Negating Traps is So Good and This over Mobius is the biggest issue. This allows my monarchs to not be hit by chain and allows me to save MST for other cards other than Chain.

On the side Monarchs have lots of choices. This deck hates FF and Bujins and so Smashing Ground and Mal Cats are some sides for them. As well Overworked.

Im testing Overworked now and I feel getting rid of the Monsters in the FF matchup is just as good as the MCAT. Thing about MCAT though if they Gorilla Summon it can be popped and now I loose but Overworked can be chained. Smashing on Yamatos is great and this deck provides great stress to Monarchs. Crossouts might find room over Messengers since every deck this format seems to be ok passing a turn or 2 and since Geargia is a deck I need to really have cards for it. Mermails is pretty much good for Monarchs as Maxx C is our way to swap frog if needed as well as having all the battle stoppers and End of Anubis.

Thanks for the comments on helping this deck for the new format as well as helping me with anything I missed.

Main seems pretty standard, but your extra is suspect. Couple things:

-the hell is cat daddy

-you should be running Herald of Pure Light, Gauntlet Launcher, Mist Bird Clausolas, and even Blader still imo.

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Catastor is Cat Daddy lol.

Blader is meh to me. You never need to blader anything now except mermails and it seems that most decks that will run blader this format also get hurt by it so if i ever need to blader i can fader etc then econ it if needed. I've needed need the mist bird ever. Seems like wasted extra deck space. I mean yea formula and treeborn to neg a monster but then i need a monarch to be on the field and wouldn't scrap have been better? G launcher i just forgot lol. What to place in for it.

Aoi

Aoi

Yu-Gi-Oh! Addict

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

I think you should be running Foolish Burial instead of Creature Swap, just because you want that Treeborn Frog as fast as possible.

Bears!

Bears!

HNNNNGG

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

There is no Obelisk in this deck.

Obelisk is unfair as fuck.

Pnb

Pnb

:<

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

I'm curious as to why you need x3 Treeborn. I guess yeah, D.D. Crow is a side card and that's about it since Macro and DiFI are limited (looking at it though it makes sense for the Ronintoadin). If you're only running the 1 of Swap, then I wouldn't run it. Aoi has a point in running the Foolish Burial.

Swordbreaker isn't that hot, I've never thought of Messenger of Peace in the side but it doesn't seem that great honestly. Pure Light is great in the Extra for grabbing back a Monarch and say shuffling back something you don't need at the moment like if you draw into your second or third Treeborn.

Man though, Mobius seems so lackluster since a lot of backrow this format is chainable and even if it isn't you'll wind up being Veiler'ed or Fiendish Chain'ed if they care about the set backrow. Jinzo seems a lot better even though he's kind of a Weenie at 2400.

If you want to get special snowflake I thought of running stupid shit like Brain Golem; and do you think Maxx "C" is worth maining? You could easily fit in more spells like BoM, an extra Creature Swap or two and side them for matches that matter.

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

3 treeborn is too important. pure light is in the extra as i cut catastor. jinzo is probably going in but mobius is great because of gozen. i just don't like foolish. If u draw it and your treeborns are in the grave it's literally dead. im not a fan of possible dead cards in the deck. Maxx c mained is needed. the only matchups you probably will never use it in g1 are bujins.

Obelisk is great and all but the thing is when I draw it I have to have treeborn/ another monster plus soul/econ. I think that Obelisk is better for decks more suited to dropping 3 trib monsters. 

dexer008

dexer008

Ground Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2442 posts

When LVAL is released, try out mega mobius over jinzo, he's super easy to bring out with treeborn and ronin and since they're water, all the backrow you target can't be chained, so unless you target 3, and the 4th/5th can be chained therefore they can target others you have targeted with Mega mobius, most of the time it will clear the way and break even/ +1 in card advantage

Bears!

Bears!

HNNNNGG

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

I rescind my previous statement. After testing this deck extensively, I like your list.

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Well post LVAL this deck changes some bit. Im finding room for Smashing Ground Since Yamato is a problem. Creature Swap is awesome but the third mst can really be helpful because of chain but this deck has to play catch up as it is. I mean Frogs are Fun but really the only matchups we would even wanna play this format are mermail and chaos dragons and evilswarms. other than that though this deck is just going to get 2-0 by good firefist/bujin/geargia.

BTW extra is doesn't play exa-beetle, crimson blader/ thought ruler.

thought ruler beats some real traps. mermails play 1 trap it can stop and thats a maybe CED. other decks have force and chain is all it will stop but 2700 is kinda easy to fight especially since it can't stop monster effects so bureis and infantry's will laugh.

Some people ask me why im playing double m7 no exa no stardust etc.

M7 is 2700 and if your playing double trag gets back the monarch you just used. 2700 ties with 1 faceup firefist spell and tensu. and gets over alot of things. plus presents itself as an instant threat as now if it lives the you just add anything you want monster wish from grave to hand or you can take something off the field. This can waste a turtle or could remove the firefist threat.

Spark Dragon is a field less likely to be crimsoned. Est fields are less likely to have and really if your in a situation in which you can make any synchro that isn't BRD aren't you winning usually?
 55SaXIQ.pngthis is my current build. the mobius in the side will probably become the 3rd veiler but im not sure what i want in the place of mobius. also jinzo is great.

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Updated For the Post LVAL Build as well.

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Bump.

Im thinking of making the Ghost Trick Monarch Deck since it can play more backrow. With March of the Monarchs the only backrow should be Summon stoppers and Mirror Force since you can TT with 2 Monarchs on Board.

Ultrafishe

Ultrafishe

Knight of the Abyss

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Bump.

Im thinking of making the Ghost Trick Monarch Deck since it can play more backrow. With March of the Monarchs the only backrow should be Summon stoppers and Mirror Force since you can TT with 2 Monarchs on Board.

I love the first build, standard but reliable.  Frog Monarchs has definitely been one of my better decks (back when it was more viable) and it's encouraging that it may be viable once again.  I would definitely get rid of the creature swap for the 3rd MST though like you said.  It's too valuable not to have.

As for  your post-LVAL list, I honestly can't give an opinion on it, because I have no idea what cards you have listed on the list just based on the DN pic.  Can you post a text list as well?  Thank you.

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Bump.

I love the first build, standard but reliable.  Frog Monarchs has definitely been one of my better decks (back when it was more viable) and it's encouraging that it may be viable once again.  I would definitely get rid of the creature swap for the 3rd MST though like you said.  It's too valuable not to have.

As for  your post-LVAL list, I honestly can't give an opinion on it, because I have no idea what cards you have listed on the list just based on the DN pic.  Can you post a text list as well?  Thank you.

The Main Deck List for POST LVAL is included. Im thinking of writing a deck discussion thread for the deck post LVAL after YCS ATL day 2 results are posted before the BP02 play.

March of the Monarchs is really important in here as Mobius. Jinzo. Sea Lancer etc can't be targeted or destroyed by anything except counter trap. This card makes your monsters like Lancer not be scared of Chain or Veiler and so the Summoning of Mega Mobius under this is really really good. Another thing with Sea Lancer over regular Frog Monarchs post LVAL is the ablity to make Gachi then play March and make Sea Lancer 2700 that practically will not die.

NewfieSteve

NewfieSteve

Padawan

• Duelist
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Looking at the build for this now, why not include ghostrick jackfrost?  Its a damn good card against yamato and master of blades because it flipping things face down doesn't target!  Plus, on your turn, summon back treeborn, flip jackfrost up, xyz for dullahan, half something else face up, tribute dullahan for a monarch, and dullahan's effect gets jackfrost back to your hand to do it again!

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

yea I've edited the build I'll post it later.

KingofFrogsVBlue

KingofFrogsVBlue

Dark Flame Master

• Duelist
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

the thing about monarch is with all those tributes your gonna have dead hands more times than not. maxing out on treeborn means more times to dead draw him and trag will be popped by bear more times than not.

I could tell you all the things wrong with this deck(and monarchs in general)+ every frog deck on DGz but instead I'll just ask you to look at the frogs that have topped recently and try to figure out the pattern

NetRepTodd

NetRepTodd

That lurker

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

the thing about monarch is with all those tributes your gonna have dead hands more times than not. maxing out on treeborn means more times to dead draw him and trag will be popped by bear more times than not.

I could tell you all the things wrong with this deck(and monarchs in general)+ every frog deck on DGz but instead I'll just ask you to look at the frogs that have topped recently and try to figure out the pattern

I could tell you all the things wrong with this post (and other bad posts in general, including my own at some points here /there ), but instead i'll just ask you to go look at other decent posts with actual content and try to figure out the pattern. 

Like, the first part of your post was fine discussing the inconsistencies with the deck, the second part was flat out cancerous.  He has apparently been working this deck since january, and has obviously put a few months of time and effort into making this deck as plausible as possible for the current format.  This is the Deck garage.  People are trying to fix their decks regardless of whether or not the decks they play are topping major events.  His goal may be to play this at locals for all we know.

Well post LVAL this deck changes some bit. Im finding room for Smashing Ground Since Yamato is a problem. Creature Swap is awesome but the third mst can really be helpful because of chain but this deck has to play catch up as it is. I mean Frogs are Fun but really the only matchups we would even wanna play this format are mermail and chaos dragons and evilswarms. other than that though this deck is just going to get 2-0 by good firefist/bujin/geargia.

BTW extra is doesn't play exa-beetle, crimson blader/ thought ruler.

thought ruler beats some real traps. mermails play 1 trap it can stop and thats a maybe CED. other decks have force and chain is all it will stop but 2700 is kinda easy to fight especially since it can't stop monster effects so bureis and infantry's will laugh.

Some people ask me why im playing double m7 no exa no stardust etc.

M7 is 2700 and if your playing double trag gets back the monarch you just used. 2700 ties with 1 faceup firefist spell and tensu. and gets over alot of things. plus presents itself as an instant threat as now if it lives the you just add anything you want monster wish from grave to hand or you can take something off the field. This can waste a turtle or could remove the firefist threat.

Spark Dragon is a field less likely to be crimsoned. Est fields are less likely to have and really if your in a situation in which you can make any synchro that isn't BRD aren't you winning usually?
 55SaXIQ.pngthis is my current build. the mobius in the side will probably become the 3rd veiler but im not sure what i want in the place of mobius. also jinzo is great.

yea I've edited the build I'll post it later.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with frog monarchs as of late, but would running something like One for One be useful in here?  I do agree with some folk, the ammount of tribute fodder that potentially sits in your hand could be desecrating.  141 gives you the ability to turbo out treeborn to the field, and is a special summon that allows you to tribute summon for one of your monarchs.  It also gives you the potential to make formula a little faster by bringing out veiler, netting you another card and giving you access to lvl 8 monsters if you already have a monarch in play.  It also makes creature swap live, assuming you dont have a way of putting a little guy on the table and you have a 141 and LADD in hand along with it.  If treeborn in is play, 141 also allows you to summon LADD if you don't have ronintodin or econ right away.  you can also black rose the field if you can't deal with their massive board presence in the form of veiler and a monarch.

I dont know your current list post LVAL, but on the list you posted prior, I would cut 1 LADD for one for one in the main.

Tralala

Tralala

Brave Heart

• Duelist
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

have you ever played frognarchs? well, do it once

iFocus

iFocus

Ghostrick Mary

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

I wish I could post a pic in here of my current list but i'll just type it out.

Im play 141 and pot of dic mained and love em. as well as jack frost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users