Welcome to DuelistGroundz
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anime/Manga Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16260 posts
haha, no, I don't need them. this is where I list good stuff for you chucklefucks so there'll be threads on things other than Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Soul Eater. next post is when it begins.

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
#1: Neon Genesis Evangelion

ideally this would be superfluous, but it's not. do you like anime? if you're reading this you should. if you a) like anime and b) haven't seen or haven't intended to see this, guess what, you're retarded. do you like an anime that came out after 1996? it was influenced by NGE in some way. and, above anything, watch it for the fucking movie. jesus fucking christ, the movie. the movie is a masterpiece not as just anime but as a movie in general, and I can think of maybe five other movies I would say that about. this is mandatory viewing, and with Rebuild 2.0 coming out this summer now's as good a time as ever to finally watch this. hop to it.

Thanatos

Thanatos

The Forbidden One

• Duelist
  • 8144 posts
no I wont

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
#2: Cowboy Bebop

if you have seen adult swim at any point after the year 2000, odds are you've at least heard of this show. and for good reason. as a stand-alone TV series, Bebop may be the best there is. everything comes together: music, plots, characters; all of it achieving perfection of the episodic storyline. also notable is Bebop's dub. the series' creator even said that the English dub is better than the original and that's saying something. like NGE, if you claim to like anime without having seen this then you're definitely retarded and maybe a faggot as well. it's mellow, it's exciting, it's easy to watch yet totally great, watch Bebop now.

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
#3: Baccano!

now that we've got the two main staples out of the way, let's get on to some stuff most of you may not have seen. Baccano! is basically what you'd get if Quentin Tarantino was given an anime studio and allowed to make whatever the fuck he wanted. the story swaps frequently between events occuring from 1930 to 1932, following alchemy, the Mafia, serial killers and lots of blood and gore. Baccano! is even more westernized than Bebop in that it takes place in the United States, and, my god, there isn't a single Japanese person in the entire show? if you like anime but not weeaboo shit like Lucky Star then watch this shit as soon as you can.

Guru

Guru

No Waifu. No Laifu.

• Loyalist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts
Pin this.

Max

Max

well, dude, that's just liek, ur opinion, man.

• Duelist
  • 11116 posts
shut the fuck up.

» chido

» chido

GOD-MODE

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
watching bebop every now and then but it ain't like OMFG I MUST WATCH THE NEXT EPISODEZZ!!!

rei

rei

BROMICHAEL

• +Administrator+
  • 51820 posts
Pinned; i approve of this.

If i get your approval am i allowed to contribute? [i'll run the serieses by you first... also do you have msn?]

Oh and if you're a creepy girl-stalker and want something actually good out of that, Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
i dont have msn but i've been trying to get it for a year at least

i'll post a couple more tomorrow

rei

rei

BROMICHAEL

• +Administrator+
  • 51820 posts
Fuck it I'm taking your thread a bit.

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Apr 7 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
#1: Neon Genesis Evangelion

ideally this would be superfluous, but it's not. do you like anime? if you're reading this you should. if you a) like anime and b) haven't seen or haven't intended to see this, guess what, you're retarded. do you like an anime that came out after 1996? it was influenced by NGE in some way. and, above anything, watch it for the fucking movie. jesus fucking christ, the movie. the movie is a masterpiece not as just anime but as a movie in general, and I can think of maybe five other movies I would say that about. this is mandatory viewing, and with Rebuild 2.0 coming out this summer now's as good a time as ever to finally watch this. hop to it.

Now, you've seen Eva; you've watched the ballstighteningly good movie. Where do you go from here? You're probably just a little burned out; I mean Eva wasn't exactly cheery. Imagine how the creative staff felt?

Well, actually they passed the torch to Hideaki Anno's best friend and said "Top that".

Oh and he made a damn good run at it too. He loosely followed some of the same themes, but really, the product of Studio Gainax trying to "rebound" from Eva was perhaps one of the most frantic, strange, and downright awesome peices of animation ever released. If you've shown anime to someone who's never seen it and gotten the "wtf is HAPPENING?!" reaction, thats what this series does to seasoned vets of the medium.

Do you want a series that at face value makes perfect sence? Yes? You're fucking wrong. This trip is like nothing you've ever seen before, but that doesn't mean it's not hilarious, well expressed, memorable, and really, really, really fucking good. After Eva, this should be next in line.

#4: FLCL

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
add #4: FLCL like I do so we can collectively compile them after a while

Thanatos

Thanatos

The Forbidden One

• Duelist
  • 8144 posts
you you could just post that picture instead of this thread but sure why not

rei

rei

BROMICHAEL

• +Administrator+
  • 51820 posts
So, how did you all get into anime?
Was it pokemon? Dragonball? Dragonball Z? Sailor Moon? Yu-Gi-Oh? Beyblade? Samurai Pizza Cats? Medabots?- Fuck even Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin, FLCL etc, it doesnt matter. The reason whatever series was able to get you into anime (unless you were an ancient fan of Speed Racer or Astro Boy) was because in 1988 an anime film came out so fucking good that it just had to find its way to the western world and basically start the trend and make North America and Europe care about anime.
Id argue more than anything else (including Eva, which I prefer) this is required viewing. It's good. Its how we got here. It's more than a little bit of a mindfuck. It's brilliantly animated, only slightly dated (at being quite literally my age its doing pretty well), immensely well written, has a brilliant score, and is responsible for us talking here to begin with.

Fuck even Leonardo DiCaprio is a fan of it (which is a lot more surprising than Robin Williams being a huge fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion) and is planning on making his own version of it, loyal to the manga. I'm sure we're all looking forward to Kaneda's talking bike.

Instead of lauding more praise on it, just go see it you dumb schmuck

#5 - AKIRA

Farley

Farley

Vault Dweller

• »Retired Staff
  • 8154 posts
I need to watch FLCL and Baccano. Both sound good.

rei

rei

BROMICHAEL

• +Administrator+
  • 51820 posts
FLCL is only six episodes so get teh hell on that

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
QUOTE (OMGFridge @ Apr 11 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need to watch FLCL and Baccano. Both sound good.

we seem to have really similar taste in everything so you should get on that

Farley

Farley

Vault Dweller

• »Retired Staff
  • 8154 posts
Is the dub good like it was with Eva?

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
FLCL might have the best dub ever done

Baccano's is great too

Max

Max

• Duelist
  • 11116 posts
Baccano! def has better Japanese voice actors, rly well done. I'd watch it subbed imo tbh.

Farley

Farley

Vault Dweller

• »Retired Staff
  • 8154 posts
Oh good then, I might just order it in to buy and then download Baccano.

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
QUOTE (GO CARDS!!! @ Apr 11 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Baccano! def has better Japanese voice actors, rly well done. I'd watch it subbed imo tbh.

japs can't get the accents down though

rei

rei

BROMICHAEL

• +Administrator+
  • 51820 posts
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Apr 12 2009, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FLCL might have the best dub ever done

This. Im amazed they got so many of the puns right.
Some things have changed so the jokes still make sense, but its a redic good dub.

Max

Max

• Duelist
  • 11116 posts
how is Beck not on here yet ? I've never seen either of u recommend it in any other thread either.

Farley

Farley

Vault Dweller

• »Retired Staff
  • 8154 posts
FLCL was great. Was laughing and just found it amazing.

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
max i've heard beck is really good but i haven't had a chance to watch it yet

i have vacation this week so i'll update this thread and probably watch it

Social Justice Black Mage

Social Justice Black Mage

The Forbidden One

• »Retired Staff
  • 11405 posts
i dont feel like writing ou a reccomendation for these, if CJ wants he can just im me on and ill edit in but for manga

Mirai Nikki
imo this ones awesome for how batshit insane yuno is

imo this is a staple whether you like shonen or not.

Exiled

Exiled

Admiral Maynard Feels THE PAIN!

• »Retired Staff
  • 34891 posts
QUOTE (Mobile Suit Tyranitar @ Apr 21 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i dont feel like writing ou a reccomendation for these, if CJ wants he can just im me on and ill edit in but for manga

Mirai Nikki
imo this ones awesome for how batshit insane yuno is

imo this is a staple whether you like shonen or not.

ilu

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
add a summary and number them please

AwaAwa

AwaAwa

Underworld Duelist

• Duelist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
I don't see why so many people find Mirai Nikki to be that good; it's not. Liar Game, however, is fantastic, so that's a good recommendation, as is JoJo.

lil d the fakedgod

lil d the fakedgod

faked for life lil d

• Contributor
  • 9270 posts
recommend me other short series similar to kino no tabi.

Ghosty

Ghosty

"The Man in Black"

• Loyalist
  • 7966 posts
Alright, I think I'm in the mood for some goodness; I'll watch some of these. ;]

Thanks for the recommendations.

lil d the fakedgod

lil d the fakedgod

faked for life lil d

• Contributor
  • 9270 posts
r u sure these animes r gud they have bad graphics

Weezy

Weezy

Ground Duelist

• BANHAMMERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2488 posts
Lookin for somethin interesting. Really into animes like geass death note one outs etc...

Have seen or am watching
Code Geass r1 and R2
One Outs
Naruto
Bleach
Monster
Pandora Hearts
Phantom Requiem for the Phantom
Death Note
Eva
Kaiji
Darker than Black
Liar Game
Ghost in a Shell
Gundam 00 SS
07-Ghost

infinite

infinite

Swagasaurus Rex

• +Ancient Moderoid
  • 7014 posts
#6 Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad

Borrowed from wikipedia:
Yukio, known by his friends as "Koyuki", is a regular 14-year-old Japanese boy who enters junior high school with two childhood acquaintances. One is a useless pervert, and ironically the other is a highly sought after female student. Koyuki's boring life is changed when he saves an odd-looking dog, named Beck, from some kids. Beck's owner turns out to be an emerging rock musician, Ryűsuke Minami, who soon influences Koyuki to start playing the guitar, and even gives one to him.
The story focuses on the trials and tribulations of their rock band named BECK, and an important plot that deals with Koyuki's relationship with Ryűsuke's sister, Maho.
Koyuki, who was plagued by his boring existence, gradually matured through experiences with the band and began to discover who he really was.

Weezy

Weezy

Ground Duelist

• BANHAMMERED
  • 2488 posts
ill give it a shot

Ocelot

Ocelot

Swift and Fierce

• »Retired Staff
  • 16260 posts
format that properly please

Weezy

Weezy

Ground Duelist

• BANHAMMERED
  • 2488 posts
will try to when i get around to it after finals

rei

rei

BROMICHAEL

• +Administrator+
  • 51820 posts
QUOTE (yugiohfan @ May 11 2009, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
will try to when i get around to it after finals

you dont rly have anything to format

infinite

infinite

Swagasaurus Rex

• +Ancient Moderoid
  • 7014 posts
#7 Gungrave: The Animation

An anime based on the very stylish but very shallow PS2 game Gungrave may seem like a disaster waiting to happen but Mad house studios works overtime to make this a work of art. The story follows Brandon Heat, a hit man for a fictional mob like crime syndicate who was killed and brought back to life to get revenge on his former best friend Harry Mcdowell who seized control of the syndicate. However the anime does thing a bit differently by showing us a Harry and Brandon rising in ranks into the organization. As a result we grow more attach to the characters and emphasize with all of them understand their plights and why they are where they at towards the end. Simply put its a great story that develops it's characters well. The series really feels like it's divided into parts, one being the mob story and the other being a scifi revenge story. The second part holds up well and does certain things differently from the game that fans might be able to appreciate (in other words, they try to make sense.) My only complaint with the series is that the second part just isn't as good as the first but it's understandable considering the room they had to work with. I highly recommend any anime fan see it. Stylish and sastifying action scenes and great story telling is a really good combination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users