Sign in to follow this  
Yussa Tampon

First Car

I know next to nothing about cars and should already have a car but don't.

Money isn't really an issue. I am willing to spend really anywhere up to 30K on one (although idk if I should be spending that much on a car)

Any suggestions / tips?

+rei+    34352

1: what do you need out of a car

2: You have a very high budget for a first car, how big would be good for you?

3: If your priority is fuel efficiency, do gas stations near you sell diesel

4: On a similar note we speaking US dollars here or are you Canadian?

5: Can you drive stick? (saves you about 2k)

6: Any specific "DONT GET THIS" things?

Car to get to University, do road trips

Size isn't really a concern

Yes.

16K US, 40K Canadian

Is it hard to drive stick? I don't know how to but could always learn

everything really

Model    864

Get a used car, practice and whatever. You dont want your first car being brand new imo.

Honkey Kong    11

Car to get to University, do road trips

Size isn't really a concern

Yes.

16K US, 40K Canadian

Is it hard to drive stick? I don't know how to but could always learn

everything really

So you want something to get you from university and back, and 16-40 grand(depending in currency) is your budget(lucky you)

I would like to ask why only 16k US, when the Canadian dollar is like worth 95 cents US, so it should really be 38 grand, but I'll play along.

Ok, that amount of money will practically buy you anything you want(40 grand CDN), so if you got good road conditions suitable for a car all year around, I would suggest something like a chev impala, ford taurus, or even a dodge charger. Now, unless you're going for the v8, I would go with the ford taurus, because GM car's quality have gone down the shitter, and Chrysler only makes good V8's now days. If you really wanted to with 40 grand, you could buy yourself a camaro or a mustang.

So, for a good car to go on road trips(with a group) and get yourself back and forth to university, I would say the ford taurus.

Now, if you're somebody who's quite concerned about fuel economy, and only going to be toting around 3 other buddies, I would reccommend the ford focus. The back seats look small in those cars, but they actually sit up quite high and are actually quite comfortable. it's got the 2.3 litre, which is one of the better motors ford has ever made, which is actually good on fuel.(it can get you roughly 600 kms on roughly 20-30$ worth of fuel)

However, if the roads are alot like the ones out here during the winter...(absolute crap)

Again, for road trips and getting back and forth to university without gas milabe being a problem, I'd reccommend the dodge ram with at least a quad cab and 4x4.(5.7 litre hemi recommended) or a ford F-150 with the 5.4 litre triton, which is actually pretty damn good on gas, considering. A buddy of mine owns an 06 5-150 with this moror in it, and it gets better gas milage than my dakota.(my dakota gets roughly 18 mpg, and the F-150 got over 20 mpg) or if you want to trundle a bubch of friends, then maybe a an explorer or a journey, depending on how much room you want or need.

However, if gas milage is an issue again with crappy roads, then I'd reccommend a ford ranger with 4x4(quad cab). not only can you go on road trips, but go off-roading if you choose to. or maybe a ford escape.

now, if you're on the 16 grand budget, you're better off getting yourself something like all of the above, but older.

+rei+    34352

Blackwar never reccomend the new charger in these parts again.

16 k us is only 17k Canadian. Sort out how much money you have

If you've got 16k pick up a Subaru Impreza or VW Jetta TDI [subaru has good handling plus all wheel drive, Jetta has deisel engine and amazing fuel efficiancy]

Actually the Subaru Legacy might be a better call as its larger and better for road trips; go for the V6 if you want to compete with the Taurus but if you only have 16k you wont be able ot afford the V6. the V4 is fine for your needs though.

If you've got 40k pick out whatever you want; fuck buy a BMW or something if you want.

all this on fuel efficiency seems like something I should definitely poke around

thanks for the help.

btw I got 16K USD separate from my Canadian funds to sort out the confusion.

I was considering dropping all my cash for something like a bmw but I'd like to have money left after to finish school

Honkey Kong    11
VW Jetta TDI

My uncle had one of these. he bought it brand new, and drove it untill it had 400 000 kms on it. However, when something went wrong with it, it was dirty expensive to fix because the parts and some of the stuff needing the special tools that are only available at a voltswagon dealership., so be warned.(it wasn't even AWD, either, which again are still expensive to fix)

Blackwar never reccomend the new charger in these parts again.

Care to elaborate on this?

+rei+    34352

Bad suspension, bad in-class economy, not particularly comfortable or roomy (and he wants to roadtrip), utterly defeated by snow, bad breaks, rediculous insurance premiums. There's just really no reason to consider it over any of its competition, even if you're big on buying domestic (which you evidently are)

The new Jetta TDI is actually probably more reliable and a lot peppier but im with you on the expensive parts.

Honkey Kong    11

Yeah, the new dakotas are actually having the same problems. especially with the brakes(problems with them seizing) so I guess you got a point there. I guess it's only the rams and the caravans that are not having any stupid issues.

And yeah, you're right on me being big on the domestics, but it doesn't mean I hate imports or anything(except toyota)

but if you really want a good import, get a mitsubishi.

+rei+    34352

I'd rather go subaru, more reliable AWD system + been in the Canadian market a lot longer.

Generally speaking if you're staying fairly cheap and aren't going luxury or SUPAR PERFORMANCE/mods, sticking to Subaru, VW, Mitsubishi, Honda, and Ford will hit pretty much every possible need

I'm starting to get a bit of respect for Kia/Hyundai having a LOT of build quality for very cheap but they still have a few finnicky problems stopping them from being the best bet

Back to this again, I spotted two used cars that grabbed my attention

1) http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/10654204

^^ Apparently it's worth only $1600 tops... so I'll probably try to get it for that.

2) http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/10158628

If I had to pick one, what would be the reason?

+rei+    34352

Buying a pontiac more than ten years old is asking for trouble.

The rsx looks like ricer trash but if it was driven well (probably not) it's actually a good and reliable car (mods notwithstanding)

+rei+    34352

Solid car, lasts forever. 4cyl would be better on gas but V6 power is obviously nice

Honkey Kong    11

If you want to get the price down to 11 grand, just do what I did when I was dealing on my Dakota before I bought it.

Lie.

Basically what I did was that I told the salesman I was looking at a slightly newer vehicle for less and basically come back and say the "other guy" dropped the price untill you get it down to the price you want it to go for.

Juat tell the guy you are talking to "another person" who is selling a "car like it for 12 grand" and offer him 11 for it.

Who knows. if you do it right, you may be able to get it down to lower than what you are asking.

If you want to get the price down to 11 grand, just do what I did when I was dealing on my Dakota before I bought it.

Lie.

Basically what I did was that I told the salesman I was looking at a slightly newer vehicle for less and basically come back and say the "other guy" dropped the price untill you get it down to the price you want it to go for.

Juat tell the guy you are talking to "another person" who is selling a "car like it for 12 grand" and offer him 11 for it.

Who knows. if you do it right, you may be able to get it down to lower than what you are asking.

I ended up getting it for 13.8K after taxes & insurance.

(new tires, brakes at 90% & 85%, insurance history was flawless & no claims against the car)

Pics to come...

IMG_2413.jpg

+rei+    34352

You got the coupe? sweet.