ACP

Modern Format Discussion

1385 posts in this topic

which deck is andrew brown on i know the others are all eldrazi and affinity

lets not get knee-jerky. yeah it's a good deck. Yeah it might be the best deck in modern. Let the format try to adapt to it first before we give it das boot.

lets not get knee-jerky. yeah it's a good deck. Yeah it might be the best deck in modern. Let the format try to adapt to it first before we give it das boot.

#nofaithinwizards

He's on UR eldrazi draft kings

#suchdiversity

In the interest of competitive diversity, Splinter Twin is banned from Modern.

Oh really? (6 Eldrazi, 2 Affinity) Probably least diverse Pro Tour Top 8 ever. Even PT Berlin wasn't this bad.

Actually the diversity was  great, it was just the top 8 that was not diverse, part of which was due to the "dream crush" efforts in the last round.

Twin had a very hard time vs the big version of this deck (herders/sowers) because of all the the on cast triggers + discard. It's hard to tell how this deck would have addapted to keep the twin match up in mind, because without a large amount of mimics technically twin would still be faster, but had they mained like inquisition+ the 4 Dismember and thought knot dunno if it would actually hold

Twin had a very hard time vs the big version of this deck (herders/sowers) because of all the the on cast triggers + discard. It's hard to tell how this deck would have addapted to keep the twin match up in mind, because without a large amount of mimics technically twin would still be faster, but had they mained like inquisition+ the 4 Dismember and thought knot dunno if it would actually hold

twin vs chalice seems pretty bad too

"The decks from this tournament make Bloodbraid Elf and Ancestral Visions on the Modern banned list reminiscent of when Juggernaut was banned" - Brian Kibler

Like yeah I feel like there's a lot of stuff that could be brought back

I'm not looking forward to main deck Chalice being everywhere

A lot of people on my local FB group are pissed off at Wizards for this Eldrazi shit (plus the banning of Twin). I think the control version is fair but this is crazy...

people are gonna be mad, whatever

I mean, yeah whatever life will go on but we have 7 days of modern a week here... or it may be we used to if people get too buttmad. Some days are weaker then others (namely friday almost never fires apparently) but this is incredibly different as compared to that last year or 2. I'm pretty sure this version of the deck won't see a lot of play here (probably 3 people max in the beginning, probably more over time) but I think the fact it is a deck will convince some people who weren't totally onto Modern (like me but idc) that maybe they shouldn't play the format. :/ I'm just worried, regardless of whether or not it is justified is another thing to think about.

Level 0 Play it

Level 1 Beat it

i was under the impression it was a new deck and the meta wasn't exactly prepared for it. i'd give it some time before y'all go all chicken little about it

wow a wild ammit appeared! 

i was under the impression it was a new deck and the meta wasn't exactly prepared for it. i'd give it some time before y'all go all chicken little about it

Not particularly. Most of the competitive scene from the PT assuredly knew around something like that would come about, it just ended up being like tech choices like Chalice and stuff that were differences between variants (it's also why you see 3 different variants of the deck in the PT).

The deck is just that solid. Chalice is just an incredibly hard card for most decks to fight through in game 1 (Burn pretty much folds to it as an example) as well as Eye of Ugin causing your 2 mana or lower cards to cost nothing.

The main thing is that Twin was "banned to encourage diversity" and then we see a PT governed by Affinity and Eldrazi Aggro. Yeah that's for sure a big example of diversity. Especially when Twin wouldn't have been able to beat the Eldrazi deck most game 1s due to the fact that Thought Knot/Chalice are so incredibly disruptive towards it's game plan.

The Eldrazi deck also does incredibly degenerate mana plays, comparitively to the reasoning behind why Bloom was banned.

Not particularly. Most of the competitive scene from the PT assuredly knew around something like that would come about.

I am almost certain this is incorrect.

Not particularly. Most of the competitive scene from the PT assuredly knew around something like that would come about.

We saw 4 different teams playing the deck, along with other people being quoted during the interviews that they knew something like it was going to come about (Paul Cheon was one person who played Affinity instead).

We saw 4 different teams playing the deck, along with other people being quoted during the interviews that they knew something like it was going to come about (Paul Cheon was one person who played Affinity instead).

If they knew how good it was they would have played it.  They certainly did not know the full extent of the story.  Also Frank Lepore's version was miserable compared to the rest.  What was the 4th team (CFB,East West Bowl, Frank Lepore and ?)

If they knew how good it was they would have played it.  They certainly did not know the full extent of the story.  Also Frank Lepore's version was miserable compared to the rest.  What was the 4th team (CFB,East West Bowl, Frank Lepore and ?)

I'll go back and check in AM, I seem to remember a 4th

and Lepore's was the closest to what it looked like Pre-OGW

I'll go back and check in AM, I seem to remember a 4th

and Lepore's was the closest to what it looked like Pre-OGW

Yeah I don't think it was as refined as the others.

Paul said the only reason he played Affinity was because he couldn't travel to Atlanta for a week since he has a second child on the way. Affinity was what he could test on MTGO. If he had time to test the Colorless Eldrazi deck like the rest of CFB/F2F he would have played it.

Paul said the only reason he played Infinity was because he couldn't travel to Atlanta for a week since he has a second child on the way. Infinity was what he could test on MTGO. If he had time to test the Colorless Eldrazi deck like the rest of CFB/F2F he would have played it.

AFFINITY*

My bad Owen XD

Wasn't thinking when I was typing it.