{Yara}

Constructed Standard Discussion

~Seal~    143
If a creature/permanent gains protection from the color/type that is attached to it the attachment will fall off.
  • Upvote 2

{Yara}    19

I lost playing for top 8 in standard, Esper control was rocking for awhile so drew into top 32, played Bant Depths for legacy and took draws round 2/3 to miracle opponents that were dead on bored. Had combo in play force, pierce, pierce in hand. Guy didn't want to concede though. >.<

Rainy    13

If a creature/permanent gains protection from the color/type that is attached to it the attachment will fall off.

Yeah, I was wrongfully told by someone before the tournament that it would act like Forbidden Lance x Fiendish Chain in Yugioh but I'm all straightened out C:

Schism    986

4 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Seeker of the Way
1 Wingmate Roc

4 Lightning Strike
4 Crackling Doom
4 Hordeling Outburst
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 Magma Jet
1 Murderous Cut

2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

4 Nomad Outpost
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Temple of Triumph
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Temple of Silence
6 Mountain
1 Swamp

3 Anger of the Gods
3 Read the Bones
2 Utter End
2 End Hostilities
2 Chandra Pyromaster
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Erase
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Taking this to the SCG Open in Portland this weekend. The list is basically stock. I had 2 Glare in originally but I took 1 out for Erase since Sidisi Whip is relevant among other things. I'm not sure if I'll see any DGZers there but wish me luck. 

• Upvote 1

»ACP    33421

I'm playing Yuuya's Jeskai Tokens at the invitational next weekend. It's obviously a pretty complicated deck. Have any articles been written that have been fairly in-depth on sequencing and/or sideboard strategy? I'm sure some of the SCG guys will write about it this week, but I'd honestly like to read anything that's out there.

Mutavault    2900

I'm not sure that a deck like that is the right place to be with this doom wake craze atm, its also hard to push through whip and i've also seen an increase in bile blight and shahar even said in the interview to start using them soon. Sultai charms hit the ascendency more thought seize's break up your 1-2 punch and they get out of reach of the burn spells without too much difficulty.

»ACP    33421

It's the best deck in standard and it's not even close. Just don't play like a donkey and all of those cards are beatable. Sultai Charm is an awful Magic card, and Thoughtseize is not a problem because our deck contains 4 Treasure Cruise. Against most Doomwake decks we transition into control. Etc. What makes the deck so hard to beat is that it has so many different angles of attack and can be an creature aggro deck, a burn deck, a midrange attrition deck, a combo kill deck, or a permission control deck depending on which role suits the matchup the best. Of all of the decks in standard, it has the most options and the most play to it.

• Upvote 1

+scuzzlebutt    23495
article and report on probably one of the best decks in standard by one of the best current players in houston that recently won back-to-back ptqs before top 8ing this gp: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/randallgay-121014-siege-rhinos-in-san-antonio/

edit: here's another short but good one i just found that turned out pretty dope too: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=12247
she mentions hushwing gryff which allen put me onto at the gp shouts out and it still appears to me to be a really important sideboard card

Rainy    13

How good is Yuuya's Jeskai Token thing? Allen, you seem to hold it in pretty high regard, but I really don't see what's so 'great' about the deck, especially after seeing the stream of Yuuya's match in the Top 4 vs Sidisi Whip. I know he also did not open too well in those matches, but clearly going for the long game did not really help him considering his board of 1 toughness creatures would get wiped, or just blocked out by creatures like Courser.

However, hushwing gryff sounds great to me. 2/1 evasion and essentially negating enter-the-battlefield effects like Rhino/Doomwake Giant sounds like a really really good deal to me.

Perhaps the Jeskai deck would have been better with those instead of siding into control? 

Obviously I haven't been playing magic much so I can't really judge players that are clearly a lot better than me, but I'd at least like to hear discussion over it. Especially because players at my FNM seem to either be 'super competitive' and claim that everything is common sense; or simply don't care.

The Ascendancy/Cruise plan sounds really great in theory though.

»ACP    33421

I recorded a video set for gathering magic, which should be up in a week or so, and lost only a single game. I had one particular game that I was really proud of, where I thought there was absolutely no chance I was winning, and then ended up crushing my opponent with a combo kill out of nowhere. The deck will really surprise you, both as a pilot and an opponent.

The sideboard is really difficult to figure out. I'm considering a lot of different things, including Hushwing Griff.

• Upvote 1

Rainy    13

I know the videos will be up in a week, but I have no patience haha

Are you also running the Drum/Retraction Helix combo or do you just mean like reached him with burn or something?

Yeah, Jeskai has a lot of different cards to play with; so it's really hard to know what exactly you have in your hand. I'll be waiting for that video set.

»ACP    33421

The exact series of plays was:

- I mull to 6 on the play, outburst, stoke, 4 lands

- Hopefully my opponent doesn't Thoughtseize me

- t1 Opponent Thoughtseizes me, takes Outburst

- t2 I land pass

- He Commune's t2, mills nothing relevant but adds a whip to his hand

- t3 I land pass

- t3 he goes land pass

- t4 I draw into another Hordling Outburst and cast it.

- Hopefully my opponent doesn't have Siege Rhino

- t4 my opponent has Siege Rhino

- t5 I consider attacking and Stoking, but that seems awful, so I say go. At this point I've drawn into another stoke.

- Hopefully my opponent doesn't have the 2nd black source for the Whip

- t5 My opponent casts his Whip after drawing a 2nd black source. Attacks.

- It's my t6, I now have Jeskai Ascendancy, Raise the Alarm, and Stoke x2 in hand. I play Ascendancy and say go.

- My opponent attacks with Rhino, I take it, and postcombat he Whips back Satyr Wayfinder and says go.

- I end step Raise the Alarm, untap, draw a land, Stoke him for free, Stoke him for free, loot into Treasure Cruise, cast Treasure Cruise, for a total of 28 damage.

• Upvote 3

HeyyQT    47

It seems to me that people are either super for this deck or super against it. I definitely fall into the latter. I think its abzan and black matchups are terrible and get even worse after siding into a slower control deck. In your above scenario if the opponent draws a bileblight or drown in the first couple of turns he buys himself even more time most likely putting the game out of range.

And even in your above scenario of the nut stoke stoke cruise 5 tokens swing direct example if he didn't play like a donkey and atked with the satyr he would be at exactly 28 life meaning you wouldn't have killed him if he had any creature on t3 or even a jungle hallow. 

»ACP    33421

"If your opponent drew absolutely perfectly after your mulligan to 6 instead of JUST having Thouhtseize -> Siege Rhino -> Whip you probably would've lost." 

Well, I guess.

FaipDeOaid    169
Whip / Reanimator seems so sluggish. That game being a good example. That hand against a faster deck seems like you would just die.

HeyyQT    47

"If your opponent drew absolutely perfectly after your mulligan to 6 instead of JUST having Thouhtseize -> Siege Rhino -> Whip you probably would've lost." 

Well, I guess.

Yah I guess commune into t4 siege rhino +jungle hallow is the perfect hand. If you believe that you are in for a rough tourney.

»ACP    33421
What Abzan list even plays Jungle Hollow? Do you even standard?

Also, my opponent was at 23 when I was attacking him for 28, because his first land was Llanowar Wastes. Clearly he should've been playing Jungle Hollows instead. What an idiot, right?
  • Upvote 1

HeyyQT    47

You're right I made a mistake, BG plays hallow not AbzanR. I simply threw jungle hollow out there to exemplify how thin the margins of your win was.

My point is you barley won with the nut hand of Jeskai Ascendancy, Raise the Alarm, and Stoke x2  vs Whip + Rhino. By pointing this out apparently you feel threatened that I'm pointing out a corner case vs your actual nut hand. I'm sorry you are this insecure but I was trying to be constructive by telling you that those openings are ordinary with the potential of better hands (t2 carytaid into running rhinos/rhino + whip/  / courser into rhino/whip...etc) The list goes on.

I count your opponent at 25 life unless you are leaving something else out of your post. Do you even math?

You say you like rationalizations and reasoning but you are just like every other player going ad hominem towards any little thing that may contradict your opinion rather than consider anything constructive. My bad for trying to give you a tested opinion before an invi that I am not even going to, In the future ill be sure to phrase everything as sarcastic backhanded comments.

• Upvote 4

Sage.    757

I like the idea behind the Token Ascendancy list, but I really don't like the deck when it doesn't draw Ascendancy.  This version certainly plays a lot more smoothly than the combo versions of the deck, but it is still pretty lackluster without an Ascendancy draw (except, of course, when Rabblemaster just goes off).  I feel like the deck can be metagamed against relatively easily with Bile Blight / Anger of the Gods / Drown in Sorrow so it probably can't explode and take over the format like I've seen some people claiming it will.  If it had even a single cantrip blue spell to work with I think the deck would be pretty nuts, but the best blue deck manipulation card we get is like Taigam's Scheming or something...

I will say that I'm pretty happy that it's pushing out Mardu Midrange because I play mostly UW online and the Mardu matchup is total ass, while Token Ascendancy is at least winnable.

I've also been watching Cheon play BG Constellations and I think that deck is very strong right now.  I'd totally buy into it if I didn't have to shell out $20 for each Temple of Malady. =\

Mutavault    2900

I like the idea behind the Token Ascendancy list, but I really don't like the deck when it doesn't draw Ascendancy.  This version certainly plays a lot more smoothly than the combo versions of the deck, but it is still pretty lackluster without an Ascendancy draw (except, of course, when Rabblemaster just goes off).  I feel like the deck can be metagamed against relatively easily with Bile Blight / Anger of the Gods / Drown in Sorrow so it probably can't explode and take over the format like I've seen some people claiming it will.  If it had even a single cantrip blue spell to work with I think the deck would be pretty nuts, but the best blue deck manipulation card we get is like Taigam's Scheming or something...

I will say that I'm pretty happy that it's pushing out Mardu Midrange because I play mostly UW online and the Mardu matchup is total ass, while Token Ascendancy is at least winnable.

I've also been watching Cheon play BG Constellations and I think that deck is very strong right now.  I'd totally buy into it if I didn't have to shell out $20 for each Temple of Malady. =\

I totally agree on pretty much all of this except malady's are like 10-11ish.

Sage.    757

I totally agree on pretty much all of this except malady's are like 10-11ish.

Not online =[

And Defiant Strike is alright, but it doesn't dig you far into your deck and can't be cast on an open board.  Tormenting Voice is probably closer to what the deck needs, ditching redundant pieces, digging a bit deeper, and filling the grave.  But just having a Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand would be incredible for the deck.

tsgreen    1594

online malady's are sitting at 18's each. Just bought into the b/g constellation deck yesterday