{Yara}

Constructed Standard Discussion

NetRepTodd    202

The argument is there for one of those 'Make them have it' moments.

force out the answer now.  if they don't have it, you almost immediately are at an advantage because you can crawl ahead with jace.

i'm not saying that making them have it is ideal, i was just hoping to get some discussions as to why or why not cast the jace/soulfire first.

Mutavault    2900

As much as I hate Saito his R/B Aggro deck is pretty good. It feels just like R/W Aggro with chains and pressure curving up to dragons. Now you get x4 duress x4 cut curving up to dragons and Drana plus haste phoenix is not nothing.

Mutavault    2900

Pascal slow played the fuck out of that guy because he doesn't know how to play his deck optimally and sucked up like 5 minute turns.

»Relianah    4515
He's in finals atm.... Jeremy (sharpman) in top 8 of super sunday series, I top 16'd :(
  • Upvote 1

Mutavault    2900

I like how Omar and Jake both cheated. Jake was ballsy to attempt that on camera though.

Dank Memeston    1716

How did they cheat?

HeyyQT    47

I like how Omar and Jake both cheated. Jake was ballsy to attempt that on camera though.

You really shouldn't throw out accusations like that. Mistakes can happen. Its fine to take note but to outright state it is almost slanderous without more proof.

• Downvote 1

Mutavault    2900

You really shouldn't throw out accusations like that. Mistakes can happen. Its fine to take note but to outright state it is almost slanderous without more proof.

Perhaps, maybe I should do the right thing and research it a little bit, watch replay videos and cue in on certain spots. Maybe I should be very specific where the "mistake" happened and state my opinion in a clear and presented manner with key point analysis from the video evidence and use rationale after the presented thesis statement rather than just flat out saying "someone cheated". That's very good advice. Maybe sometime I'll make a new post doing just that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NetRepTodd    202

I have been playing dark jeskai for a few weeks now (been playing the standard list from pantheon).  Right now I feel as though the hardest matchup I have is against GW megamorph, especially g1.  if they land a turn 1 warden and I don't have an answer for it immediately, it growing to a 3/3 lifelinker is pretty difficult to handle.  Wild slash, early fiery impulses, and kolagahns commands don't kill it.  Gideon having four loyalty usually means I have to use 2 spells to kill it if I don't have a jace in play.  a resolved wingmate roc with raid is what really puts it over the edge.  Yes, I could hold up ojutai's command to counter the roc, but by this point they have already put a lot of pressure on me with hangarbacks, wardens, den protectors if I don't draw my early removal.

I may be approaching this matchup incorrectly.  Game 2/3 become much easier because of disdainful strokes for the top end of their curve and ways to deal with silkwrap in erase and felidar cub.  I just think their threats outclass mine a large majority of the time.  

JAndrees    109

I have been playing dark jeskai for a few weeks now (been playing the standard list from pantheon).  Right now I feel as though the hardest matchup I have is against GW megamorph, especially g1.  if they land a turn 1 warden and I don't have an answer for it immediately, it growing to a 3/3 lifelinker is pretty difficult to handle.  Wild slash, early fiery impulses, and kolagahns commands don't kill it.  Gideon having four loyalty usually means I have to use 2 spells to kill it if I don't have a jace in play.  a resolved wingmate roc with raid is what really puts it over the edge.  Yes, I could hold up ojutai's command to counter the roc, but by this point they have already put a lot of pressure on me with hangarbacks, wardens, den protectors if I don't draw my early removal.

I may be approaching this matchup incorrectly.  Game 2/3 become much easier because of disdainful strokes for the top end of their curve and ways to deal with silkwrap in erase and felidar cub.  I just think their threats outclass mine a large majority of the time.  

This is where Self-inflicted Wound can really shine.  That and Silkwrap.  If you Silkwrap their Warden, they need to level it back up.  That and getting your spell mastery online for Fiery Impulse is the utmost priority.

The match up is just not a great match up.  I'm sure there are better things we can do vs it tbh.

NetRepTodd    202

I disagree with self inflicted wound, because if tokens exist from gideon or wingmate, they can just sac off one of those instead.  I think ultimate price would be a bit better here.

I dunno, just trying to spark some discussion about it before fnm tonight.  appreciate the quick reply though.

»Relianah    4515
Jeremy (Sharpman) and I haven't really had an issue with it, tragic arrogance has been mvp vs them though post board

NetRepTodd    202

Jeremy (Sharpman) and I haven't really had an issue with it, tragic arrogance has been mvp vs them though post board

I completely forgot about tragic arrogance.  I'll try siding one tonight.

How have you been approaching g1? Or do my problems with the matchup make sense?

HeyyQT    47

Perhaps, maybe I should do the right thing and research it a little bit, watch replay videos and cue in on certain spots. Maybe I should be very specific where the "mistake" happened and state my opinion in a clear and presented manner with key point analysis from the video evidence and use rationale after the presented thesis statement rather than just flat out saying "someone cheated". That's very good advice. Maybe sometime I'll make a new post doing just that.

You seem to be insecure and I'm not sure why. All I was trying to get across was that you can't make such a statement off of 1 piece of evidence (not even good evidence at that). Just because you can verbalize what you saw means that you're someone who has passed third grade not that you were rational. Someone rational would probably have a basic understanding of sample size and not go out of there way to state out right X and Y are cheaters. It would probably be better to draw attention to it and mention that it was suspicious. Everyone makes mistakes at some point and I think its wrong to first assume cheating. I get that you made a wall of text stating your opinion but at the end its still an opinion. 

Also if you could read you would see that I already acknowledged your wall of text. My problem isnt with what you did but how you did/stated it. But its a free world so do what you want, just dont get all pissy because math and I don't share your opinion that 1 instance  constitutes enough to make an inference.  

Mutavault    2900

Congratulations to Ray for getting 2nd place at the grand prix. He's come along way. =]

Glimmervoid    92

I'm toying with Bant Enchantress in standard ATM, what do you think? The blue is also for counters in the SB, but that isn't done yet. A couple of Lumbering Falls may be worth it, but I want to keep the fetch number as high as possible for Emeria

Creatures: 8

4 Herald of the Pantheon

4 Knight of the White Orchid

Enchantments: 23

3 Monastery Siege

1 Quarantine Field

4 Retreat to Emeria

4 Sigil of the Empty Throne

4 Silkwrap

3 Starfield of Nyx

4 Stasis Snare

Planeswalkers: 3

3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Lands: 26

3 Canopy Vista

3 Evolving Wilds

4 Flooded Strand

1 Forest

1 Island

5 Plains

1 Prairie Stream

4 Windswept Heath

4 Wooded Foothills

Darthflaw    124

I jumped back into standard with the GR Eldrazi ramp deck, as it was cheap and something I've never really played before. It has game against Jeskai and Abzan, but is incredibly soft to Esper and Aristocrat/Rally decks.

The mirror is just a race to double stone rain your opponents Shrine of Forsaken Gods with Newlamog. I'm debating giving the U/G list that made the top cut at GP Kobe a shot.

My list: Side is a bunch of random stuff, atm. I don't actually own a lot of cards on MODO just yet.

i7oNRwN.jpg

Mutavault    2900

For newer players that want to learn Abzan Aggro I made this for you. Happy Thanksgiving!

how%20to%20play%20abzan%20aggro_zpsegjya

• Upvote 3

Schism    986

Anyone going to GP Oakland this weekend? I'm making the drive down from Washington state with a group of friends.

Glimmervoid    92

Having a blast with this atm:

Creatures: 18

4 Seeker of the Way
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Mantis Rider
4 Reflector Mage
2 Wingmate Roc

Planeswalkers: 4
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Instants: 11
4 Fiery Impulse
4 Jeskai Charm
2 Valorous Stance
1 Dispel

Sorceries: 3
3 Treasure Cruise

Lands: 24
4 Flooded Strand
2 Prairie Stream
2 Plains
2 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
2 Mystic Monastery
1 Island
1 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
1 Shivan Reef

PsyKnz    195

So I've got a PPTQ this weekend and I intend to register the following deck:

Land (25)
2x Blighted Fen
2x Caves of Koilos
4x Flooded Strand
1x Island
4x Plains
3x Polluted Delta
1x Prairie Stream
4x Shambling Vent
1x Sunken Hollow
1x Swamp
2x Windswept Heath

Creature (13)
2x Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
4x Hangarback Walker
4x Reflector Mage
3x Wasteland Strangler

Enchantment (8)
4x Silkwrap
4x Stasis Snare

Planeswalker (6)
4x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Instant (4)
4x Secure the Wastes

Sorcery (4)
4x Transgress the Mind

Sideboard (15)
3x Disdainful Stroke
1x Dispel
2x Duress
1x Mastery of the Unseen
2x Self-Inflicted Wound
2x Surge of Righteousness
1x Ultimate Price
3x Wingmate Roc

I've been playing something along these lines since BFZ was released to reasonable results but haven't played any Oath Standard yet. The big changes to the deck following OGW's release were moving the Duress & Mastery to the side and cutting 2 Knight of the White Orchids along with the 4th Wasteland Strangler for 2 Ayli and 4 Reflector Mage. At the time I originally built the deck Ojutai's Command was everywhere influencing my decision to run Secure the Wastes and Planeswalkers as my top end.

Wingmate Roc is a very recent addition and primarily intended as a way to apply pressure against Rally that is difficult to interact with using either Reflector Mage or Sidisi's Faithful. Although I could run more Dispel or Hallowed Moonlight for the matchup, my experience has been that holding up mana to stop a big Rally rarely works out the way I plan, particularly against a strong opponent.

I'm not sure how I feel about going down to three Stranglers and have a sneaking suspicion Secure the Wastes isn't as well positioned as it used to be. I'm tempted to bring up to two Wingmates in from the board over Secures and to either shift the token spell to the side, or go an entirely different path with sided Painful Truths or the 4th Strangler.

What I'm trying to work out is what decks I'm not going to be prepared for if I run this configuration and if there are any last minute changes that I should make to improve how I'm positioned against an unknown standard meta.

Oderus Urungus    100

Grats to Tenjum on his top. Still liking the deck? I like it, been playing something similar since I dont have the cards for Ramp atm, but just feels underpowered sometimes. I keep feeling like Im missing something. Any ideas?

Glimmervoid    92
@Psy: Have you testef Oath of Gideon? Protects walkers, lets Gideon emblem and live and protects your removal from Dromoka's Command.