Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

+Paraliel+    8032

Tomorrow will help a lot too towards giving more tools to Control decks which is still exciting to see.

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

Because it's not very interactive anymore probably. There's very rarely a game that's evenly matched or won on superior play. Your opening 5-6 cards will determine the entire game, and most decks just use their opponents has a minor annoyance while they play their decks gimmick. I totally get that feeling a lot.

I second that this is beyond untrue.  If anything the game is too interactive, so many decks play just like druid (rogue is the only exception, and even deathrattle rogue...plays like druid).  Having a very good burn deck in Shaman aggro is a welcome deviation from this.

I can understand where you're coming from re opening 5-6 cards determine the game against the very fast decks, but this is still just a mammoth of an exaggeration.

But then again, I can't remember the last time I had fun playing priest either.  Actually, the last time I went on crazy monkey tilt was playing dragon priest a few months back.  I definitely feel your pain.

»Paxman    4776

Eh it's not just priest it's a lot of things. It's not very fun playing decks with cards that cost more than 5 mana when trying to rank up because all you meet are 1/2/3 drops that overwhelm you if you don't happen to continue drawing your low cost cards immediately.

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8032

Unstable Portal is consistently the only card that angers me for existing.

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391

I think in the context of any one game it can certainly come down to luck.  Given the RNG present in so many powerful cards you can certainly look back at a game and say "I only lost this because the x% chance occurred."  The argument is obviously that you could have played better to eliminate that possibility from determining the game.  Sometimes this is the case and sometimes it isn't.  Sometimes you make the play that has the highest percentage chance of winning you the game and it doesn't work because your opponent tops Argus.  Sometimes your opponent throws a god hand down and your draw was unlucky and there was nothing you could have done.

But over the course of an entire ladder season your win % is going to be based on your skill relative to your opponent's skill.  Your end result in terms of ladder ranking will be a combination of this + game time played.  A lot of Hearthstone is bringing the right deck with the right card choices and making the correct mulligans to give you the best chance for any given game.  If you're finding most games are out of your hands you're probably doing something wrong before you even gain 1 mana.

One thing that's certain is it's quite difficult to recognize your own mistakes.  When you can play with better players watching your games you will find out just how often there's a more optimal or safer route to take.  The biggest example for me occurred back when I was playing tempo mage vs a secret paladin.  I went first and opened with Mana Wyrm.  Opponent coined the Minibot.  I played Frost Bolt and attacked the minibot, leaving a 2/1 Wyrm.  The opponent played Abusive Sergeant and Secret Keeper.  My turn was either drop Flamewaker or ping, then decide whether to trade or not.  3 players were watching me and all 4 of us agreed that playing the Waker and trading was the best play.  3/4 of us wanted to take the seemingly obvious trade into the Secret Keeper.  But 1 player spoke up with "what about Coghammer?"  Instantly the 3 of us realized we could have been punished hard as Coghammer/Abusive would clear the Waker and leave the opponent's abusive up.  There was no play our opponent could make with the Keeper that would punish us outside of 3 secrets.  However if our opponent had a bunch of secrets he probably would have played one instead of the abusive.  So we could reasonably deduce he didn't have the secrets to punish us but could easily have the Coghammer to punish us, so we cleared the abusive instead.

Ultimately the opponent didn't have the Coghammer.  He didn't have the secrets either, and next turn we were able to take a commanding position on the board and go on to win quite easily.  I think the vast majority of players would trade with the Secret Keeper there since a) you're removing more health from the board and b) your removing a potentially growing threat from the board.  If they were punished by a Coghammer and went on to lose they may not have looked back on this trade as a defining mistake that lost them the game.  If they weren't punished by a Coghammer they may never have known they made a misplay.

Playing and talking out your plays with better players will make you realize just how often these sometimes unnoticeable play errors occur.

• Upvote 4

»Digbick    7263
Doing rogue challenge. Boss use hero power, plays prophect velen. On boss next turn, it uses their hero power. Gets avenging wrath, wow fuck this
  • Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150

I thoroughly enjoyed the one where Raffam steals your deck.

• Upvote 2

wonderPreaux    1408

I legitly thought there was some sort of tweak involved where the Dino got high-ends only based on the egregious variance I was facing. Like t1 Cenarius... to my 0-cost Demolisher! Between that and the tedium of the 1-dmg only guy, this was a pretty meh wing.

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

Can I beat all these bosses using just like aggro shaman/malygos warlock?  Or will I have to make other decks?

Probably doing them tonight or tomorrow.  Quite hype, I don't even know what new cards we're getting.

Ammit    5159

Can I beat all these bosses using just like aggro shaman/malygos warlock?  Or will I have to make other decks?

Probably doing them tonight or tomorrow.  Quite hype, I don't even know what new cards we're getting.

You'll probably want to make a shitty deck vs Rafaam, he steals your deck and you get a bunch of junk cards. I'm still struggling vs rafaam

• Upvote 1

Ammit    5159

just beat him because i made an even worse deck

• Upvote 1

zubby    234

All the wings for this Adventure come out Friday I think for EU.

• Upvote 1

Ammit    5159

I just made a deck of all shitty one and zero drops.

yeah i wound up also putting in a bunch of useless spells 

• Upvote 1

Ammit    5159

though the first couple times i lost to his portal draws

• Upvote 1

»Paxman    4776

Well luckily he portal'd Malganis on turn 2, which I mind visioned, so I could prepare for it. Then on turn 9 I won with that Malganis instead.

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150
I used the random deck maker to make raffam a completely random rogue deck

Ended up beating him by using the priest card that copies a card in his hand and I copied Oil. Gg
  • Upvote 2

»Digbick    7263

Dog made a miracle rogue deck without Leeroy, working well so far for him. Hes using 2x Tomb Pillar, 2x auctioneer 

• Upvote 1

»Digbick    7263

lmfao, fucking smashed

xtVxOfa.jpg

• Upvote 4

».ben.    7438

I legitly thought there was some sort of tweak involved where the Dino got high-ends only based on the egregious variance I was facing. Like t1 Cenarius... to my 0-cost Demolisher! Between that and the tedium of the 1-dmg only guy, this was a pretty meh wing.

I liked the armor one. It was like all board control, which is more fun against AI since you can usually smoke them in a few turns.

In general, I felt like this adventure, while pretty cool for the most part, was far easier than the others. Maybe it's because I'm better at the game now than I was a few months ago.

• Upvote 2

Ammit    5159

everytime i try to play aggro shaman i just run out of steam and lose i don't get it

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

everytime i try to play aggro shaman i just run out of steam and lose i don't get it

You're not going face enough.