River of Tears

True Detective

HBO-True-Detective.jpg

"A 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana begins with Detectives Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) joining the search in this eight-episode anthology series."

Two episodes in and this show is superb; the writing is the highlight, but lead performances by McConaughey and Harrelson are fantastic as well. Favoring a more slow-paced, mood driven style, the show finds itself in fine company among the works of David Lynch as well as Fincher, particularly Zodiac. HBO has yet another hit.

• Upvote 3

Ammit    5159

Sucks that Harrelson and McConaughey will only be in this season.

Considering the next season will be completely different (setting, characters, mystery, etc), HBO might grab just as stellar a cast the second go round.

HououinKyouma    833

Just found time to catch up on this. It is really, really well done. The only thing that worries me is that it turns into The Killing 2.0, but since they seem to be hitting the reset button after each season I have faith that it won't suffer the same fate and it doesn't seem to be packed with countless pointless red herrings. The writers also did an extremely good job of balancing the focus between the mystery and the characters. I also really enjoy the opening.

Ammit    5159

The ending of episode 4 was incredible. This just stepped it up to being one of the best tv shows ever made. Unless they majorly fuck up for the latter half of the season.

• Upvote 5

i haven't finished ep 4 but i've been really impressed with this show so far. some of it is heavy handed and the prosthetics job on old rust is pretty...immersion ruining but overall it's very nice. hopefully this season will close well and season 2 will be even better.

El Scorcho    225

Went back and watched the end of ep 4 again. A single take, nearly six minutes long, really did establish this as the best show on television right now. Hooked.

HououinKyouma    833

TD continues to impress.

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

A pretty interesting article that explains the King of Yellow and TDs relationship to it and the "weird fiction" genre. I'll probably try and read Chambers book of short stories sometime before this season finishes.

• Upvote 1

Forlum    9162
Starting ep. 5 now. Mmmm.

Also old Russ looks like a car mechanic in ny town so lol I buy it :D

+Mascis    4568

hbogo crashed because of this show. 

WHY

the last ep has some of the best oneliners in the series

i have had some general complaints about the structure of the last two episodes, but the finale got a lot closer to the greatness this series has shown than they did. wasn't perfect, but it was good.

HououinKyouma    833

[spoiler]I really loved this show. I think it's pretty cool that the Dora Lange case functioned similarly to the King in Yellow play did in Chambers' short stories. I'm also really glad that they didn't go with the supernatural/Cthulhu end because that would have just been terrible. Also Rust's last hallucination was pretty beautiful.[/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

ATJdragon    968
great show. too bad matthew mcconaughey isnt coming back for season 2...if there is a season 2

emblem    1211

i loved this show, just finished it but i did feel like the show was cheapened in a way and i'm just going to quote a post which summed up my thoughts on the ending:

It's hard to believe that it wasn't intentional when you see the same photograph of a painting in Marty's house in the same hospital where Rust visits Ledoux's surviving victim, or the same swirling void found drawn in Marty's home, or the inappropriate doll setup by his daughter similar to what you see on the Tuttle tape, etc. 

All these subtle connections, coupled with the language & terms very popularly used in numerous Lovecraft stories & spinoffs, running promos after an episode airs where they ask "Who is the Yellow King!? Go to truedetective.hbo.com to find out more! Also, make sure you stop by the HBO Shop!" 

These things were put in there in what seems to be a ploy to pique interest of the current type of TV viewer that watches today. I'm disappointed slightly, not because of a lack of supernatural/cosmic tie-ins, but because the showrunners were afraid the show wouldn't take off without adding all of this in. And then to not really resolve most of it just cheapens it a bit more.

im perfectly ok with how this story ended, in fact it ended beautifully but i felt like a lot of these subtle connections / metaphors were thrown in to get people talking...yeah the things that went unexplained did have full explanations for the mostpart, such as audrey, who was really just acting out because of the lack of attention her parents gave her compared to her sister (as well as her father's basically complete absence) but the way those things were presented were just to get people talking and blatantly used to feed the idea of "the cult connects to marty's family" which was a stupid idea in the first place...its a shady tactic to show the audience those scenes with the sole intent to build interest to a plot point that you don't actually plan on developing at all. i think they could have told the same story without that stuff and it wouldn't have built up any unrealistic expectations

Forlum    9162
So, each season is different.

What if the Yellow King is exactly like its source material (a constant across various stories)? Just something terrifying and madness inducing mentioned from season to season? ...But as human evil, not supernatural.

so i actually just got around to finishing the last 2 episodes today (lol) and emblem, i didn't make that "connection" about marty's family and the cult at all, so i mean....