nathanial swank

tattoogroundz

+Urthor    10229

The trick is not getting stuck looking like trailer trash for the next 60 years

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

nathanial swank    7456

if you get bad tattoos, yeah

having a tattoo dosn't auto make u trash (i know you're not saying that, but putting it out there)

CalvinTahan    996

I have only two, on the back of my left upper arm:

The Wonder Years

and

Yellowcard

(just the logo, no words)

primarily pop-punk pieces so far, but my next is either a DGD, La Dispute, or Senses Fail piece. Working towards an entirely musically-influenced halfsleeve because A: if I'm going to continue being a teacher then I can't/shouldn't really get a full sleeve/anything below the elbow, and B: I'm pretentious as fuck and the alternative music scene actually really matters to me and moves me in ways I cannot or do not wish to describe

• Upvote 2

Plsnobully    776
I've been debating a tattoo for a long time, mostly because of price and I'm unsure what to get.

I don't know if song lyrics are a good idea, or maybe partial album art - if so, I'd go with The Mountain Goats or Say Anything since I've been listening to those bands since like 2004 and they're huge parts of me.

fanfingtastic    171

All I can say is make sure you get what you want and wont regret, I have 8 tattoos and i was young when i started getting em 15 years old when i got my first, i look at it now and think wtf, i was young and immature, and now need to get it covered cause its awful..... I am 26 now and i am a little smarter bout what im getting and the meaning behind em lol but here is a timeline on fanfingtastics tattoos lol

I was dumb when I was 15, superman was a nick name in high school and i thought i was so cool, a year later i got the NDY over the superman which are my initals at 16, ya it was dumb and this is the tattoo im looking to get covered up idk how but i gotta figure out how lol

3CDC9BD3-525F-48F5-AC5F-EBAD729F607F.jpg

Next tattoo I was 18 as a senior and drunk in mexico on spring break, another not so great decision but what can you do

172C7CD9-BA36-4F64-9642-ADFF41D15408.jpg

• Upvote 2

fanfingtastic    171

Still at 18 I got in a huge fight with my mother and she hated tattoos so out of anger to piss her off i went and got another one, this is tattoo number 4 of wtf was i thinking

9C49BB08-5CA4-4224-9803-3442587B6F3B.jpg

So now here I am at 21 and it is fathers day and is my first farthers day, so me and my father decided to go get matching tattoos, this is the first one i actually dont regret as it means a lot since my dad has the same one and its a one of a kind tattoo

C5D48145-131C-479F-8451-3633A1046A17.jpg

At 22 I was doing a lot of traveling and came across some family in california, my cousin was now a tattoo artist and offered me some free work and i took him up on it, wasnt bad dont really regret it but its a i thought this was cool back then huh type deal

A50F06CB-6D57-47A0-8E82-56F0C99E23AE.jpg

So now at 24 my wife and i were traveling and came across a whole in the wall tattoo parlor up in northen michigan, we both got matching tattoos that day

2297E55F-23E5-4221-AB41-FF36080975EF.jpg

now at 26  my second child is born and my family is my anchor, idk if a lot of you know this or not but i use to be a heroin addict and have been clean going on 4-5 years with quitting cold turkey if it wasnt for my wife and children i dont know where i would be today but earlier this year i got this

6A75A035-2069-4CA6-8761-9DEC51476FA2.jpg

so i suggest just be smart on what you wanna do with em tattoo wise, i have a few i wanna cover cause i was a dumb teenager haha, but all in all i love tattoos and will continue to get more of them more than likely.

• Upvote 10

nathanial swank    7456

The Wonder Years

and

Yellowcard

primarily pop-punk pieces so far, but my next is either a DGD, La Dispute, or Senses Fail piece. Working towards an entirely musically-influenced halfsleeve because A: if I'm going to continue being a teacher then I can't/shouldn't really get a full sleeve/anything below the elbow, and B: I'm pretentious as fuck and the alternative music scene actually really matters to me and moves me in ways I cannot or do not wish to describe

i love dgd, what were you thinking about getting?

CalvinTahan    996

The Wonder Years

and

Yellowcard

Either just the Deathstar, or the Robot with his microphone + amp from acceptance speech. They're recording right now though, so I'm going to wait till the next album drops (probably no later than March) and see if I love that more than Acceptance Speech. If their new style doesn't resonate with me as much as AS did, I'll probably get Death Star. If it does and it's awesome, then either the robot, or whatever's on the new artwork.

• Upvote 1

Dango    824

Both are on my ribs. Both are "gravestones" (writing stating their births and deaths along with what each of them meant to me). One of my pops, one of my gramps. Don't regret either, probably won't get anymore for a long time if ever. If I were to it would be my future wife, and children, and would be equally as hidden as ribs, so probably my back.

I actually have a friend who's training to be a tattoo artist; he's shadowed a lot of the big ones in London, his personal tips for me were:

• Don't get something cringey that in 5 years you'll hate.
  • Don't get something in a completely visible place like knuckles or neck no matter how edgey you think you are.
  • Don't get tattoos in really awkward places like right on your thigh or your shin or slap bang in the middle of your arm becauase:

1) it looks fucking awful when you have loads of mismatched blobs of ink in random places with no kind of synergy between them; imagine a canvas that's full of white space and you just draw loads of individual images with no link to each other on random bits of the canvas. That's essentially what you look like. (My girlfriends sister has all these tattoos in random parts of her body and its all stupid shit like quotes or lips and hearts and stuff and it just looks so bad (in my opinion) because its all just random images inked into her body. But if it works for her then good on her I don't judge her for it)

2) If in the future you decide you want a sleeve or a big piece, a random ass quote on your chest or that stupid band logo in the middle of your arm will completely ruin any chances you have of getting the shit you want.

• Let your artist have complete control over what the tat looks like; they know how the ink works and what's to thin and too thick and the contours of your body. Don't be that asshole who won't let the artist change the tattoo and then complain when it comes out weird or misshapen on your body.
  • Once you have an idea for a tattoo, don't get the tattoo until at least 1 YEAR after you've had your idea. If you still like the idea after a whole year of having it at the back of your mind, then you'll probably still like it once it's permanently etched into your skin. 
  • Theres nothing wrong with getting a tattoo and not having some deep meaningful reason for it. It;s perfectly fine to get a tat just because it looks bitchin. I see so many people come up with crazy convoluted explanations for what their tat means when in reality you just got it because it looks frickin cool and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally; I'm waiting a few years before I get my first tattoo. I want it to be an entire sleeve that extends into my back and my chest. I have no idea what I want it to be of yet, but I'm 100% open to letting a great artist paint something on me that's entirely their idea/something they've been wanting to do for a while. I'm one of those douchebags who takes the whole "my body is a canvas" idea to it; and thus the tattoo is just decoration on the body instead of a separate piece of art in and of itself. The body is the "art" and the tattoo is just there to compliment it; hence I'm not getting anything inked until I'm completely happy with the size of my arms when it's done and just my general body format.

Again, I'm such a tattoo hipster but I'm really sick of all the shitty fonts being used (all that curly times new roman bullshit). It's not the 1800s and I think that crap just looks really tacky. Similarly, overdone sailor tattoos (owls and octopuses anyone?)

An example pulled right off of google which I don't think is attractive: 

tumblr_mpg3v61zvl1r1khvpo2_500.jpg

Idk I just think the whole style is a bit tacky and meh. 

Here's an example of what I want done to my body:

tumblr_mq0yrspS5s1re71vio1_500.jpg

Now I don't want something exactly like that; but I definitely want it to be very geometric and mathematical; lots of block straight lines and colours and circles. Here's another example of the kinda shit I'm into; I REALLY like the "geometric tattoo" genre;

TvM1jbI.jpg

Pulled from the front page of /r/tattoos.

If you want to look more into these kinda tats definitely check out http://tattrx.tumblr.com/; the tattoos on that blog are absolutely beautiful. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

nathanial swank    7456

The Wonder Years

and

Yellowcard

Either just the Deathstar, or the Robot with his microphone + amp from acceptance speech. They're recording right now though, so I'm going to wait till the next album drops (probably no later than March) and see if I love that more than Acceptance Speech. If their new style doesn't resonate with me as much as AS did, I'll probably get Death Star. If it does and it's awesome, then either the robot, or whatever's on the new artwork.

i prefer happiness and downtown battle mountain 1 and 2 more than their new stuff

nathanial swank    7456

i never liked the fonts either. idk why it's so popular 

love the geometric stuff but i feel like the thin lines and colors would need a lot of maintenance 

Ammit    5159

planning on getting the mask of nova (the superhero) on my right shoulder area. 

Yeah the thin lines are a huge problem especially when you need to get them touched up consistently.

And that's really hard if you flew to Germany for a specific artist.

Bears!    897

I have a Seraphim on my calf. Got it when I was 18. Dumb. At least it's pretty.

Gypsy with elephant tusks on my right shoulder, with 3 huge roses for my 3 siblings.

Cyclops elephant with 3 octopus tentacles for a trunk and an upside-down cross on it's forehead on my chest. My favorite.

"Crikey" on the inside of my bottom lip, got it on the anniversary of Steve Irwin's death.

• Upvote 1

QwRcY    4

Yeah the thin lines are a huge problem especially when you need to get them touched up consistently.

As a professional Tattoo Artist (Yes I did a proper apprenticeship) I would like to point out if a tattoo is done properly by a proper tattooist your tattoo should never needing touching up.

As a professional Tattoo Artist (Yes I did a proper apprenticeship) I would like to point out if a tattoo is done properly by a proper tattooist your tattoo should never needing touching up.

Even with incredibly thin lines and pale colours, in a very sunny country? :O

TFJ    618

Age/Life goals are important in this decision.

While many workplaces are accepting of tattoos, there are companies in my area that will not hire anyone with a visible tattoo. This will probably be less and less of an issue, but still.

Of course I don't think you are asking about getting a career killer/or if you even plan to have a professional career. But it is a concern.

My personal thoughts, Tattoo nah. 

I understand some people have real reasons for getting tattooed, but it isn't for me. And (just me) I think girls with tattoos look trashy (probably due to them being so generic). I wouldn't want that thought to come off on me; although I probably come off as a prick lol.

QwRcY    4

Even with incredibly thin lines and pale colours, in a very sunny country? :O

incredibily thin lines dont look good for long anyway simply becuase all tattoo's spread under the skin slighty and the thinner the line the more noticeable it is. If you want the colours to stay looking good you should avoid as much sun light getting to them as possible because the UV rays kill the colour. Also the aftercare takes a massive part of how the tattoo will look once healed.

The reason traditional japanese tattoo's are so popular is because:

a) There designed to flow with the body

b) There hold up well over time

This tattoo will still look great after 40+ years.

30-tattoo-japanese-irezumi-modern-tattoo