MZAAZM

Newgioh Format Thread

+Jazz    5538
Yeah zenmaines is a killer wall now that I think about it.

How cool would it be to have Raiza though? That would make monarchs so playable. None of this Zaborg shit. Save it for chaos where the attribute matters.

+Gemstone Mine    2731
Raiza imo is too good, especially with brain control still at 3. The only downside to the monarchs are that they are so limited in function, introducing an all in 1 monarch is likely going to translate to a 3 of raiza in everything

+scuzzlebutt    23563
i figured the indestructibility would have been the lesser of the two evils, given the presence of sorc ter blah blah plus the three dprison everyone has now, but i could see how itd be the other way around. seems like all of the answers youd want to give the zombie deck require introducing more dangerous stuff to the extra deck too; not a good look for the format esp this early on

bleh, raiza? why not just use the newer monarch support continuous spells and shit to boost the archetype without having to make the mistakes of raiza and caius all over again

+scuzzlebutt    23563
some other ideas for the format ive toyed with that could be nice, terrible, or already legal for all i know: photon sabre tiger, samsara kaiser and reinforce truth, vanitys fiend, rinyan ls hunter, x saber airbellum (at the cost of rescue cat obv)

but i doubt these are the sorts of posts people want in this thread

+Jazz    5538
Raiza adds a new dimension of control and ups versatility. It's perhaps not appropriate for this list, but I would like to see it in the next reset. I don't think Raiza is a mistake in a card design vacuum sense, it depends on the context.

I am frustrated with how situational Zaborg is regarding (1) use of soul exchange, (2) facedowns, (3) floaters, (4) control over game state.

I think this is a fine thread to discuss card additions btw. I know we have the "what card would you add to goat format" thread, but that's a slightly different question and likely gets fewer clicks these days.

Grimey    8114

The existence of Zenmaines also invalidates the entire Zombie deck. How do you ever kill that card with Zombies? Without Skill Drain or Tour Guide that card just sits there forever. It's a disproportionately huge boost for decks that can easily kill it... Like the deck that's already the best deck in the format, Serpent Chaos. 

There's no reason to play a dedicated Zombie deck anyways barring DDV 

+Jazz    5538
I'm sick of the fact that we aren't warring this format. So quick poll for those who like Newgioh. Would you rather:

A) Battle city free for all
B) Swiss
C) Team tournament (double elim most likely)
D) Newgioh war league

I vote C or D because damn it teams are fun and I want to discuss deck ideas with somebody. Also I may be biased (who isn't) but I really enjoyed running the goat format war league last year

TFJ    618
Raiza @3 does not seem fun at all.

In reset I mentioned Tempest, Blaster, Tidal E dragons (no Redox).

Doom Engine    6

I'm sick of the fact that we aren't warring this format. So quick poll for those who like Newgioh. Would you rather:

A) Battle city free for all
B) Swiss
C) Team tournament (double elim most likely)
D) Newgioh war league

I vote C or D because damn it teams are fun and I want to discuss deck ideas with somebody. Also I may be biased (who isn't) but I really enjoyed running the goat format war league last year

I'm all for C) due to the fact that I enjoyed being in a team and had to set it aside for a certain situation. I'm against A) unless it were made possible to involve motorcycles.

+Mascis    4566

C for sure!

Soul    7941

raiza would be way too busted. might as well kick it back to the PCM days with raiza, pwwb, scoop. i just think introducing temtempo was insanely dumb. he counters every rank 3, makes going into golem hardly ever worth it unless you have the gameshot. outing sangan, especially now with prison, was easy enough. i don't think tgu was ever the real problem. its just the sangan that sits there. 

Grimey    8114

I think Temtempo was a stupid decision as well

Brain Control is already a game defining card in the format as people are not playing Scapegoat and that pretty much solved every problem that Temtempo tried to. 

1.) You can BC your opponent's Sangan and combine it with your TGU for an Acid

2.) You can gameshot your opponent by stealing their Acid if they're a fucking moron or if they had no other play/were practically forced to go Acid

The only thing I actually use Temtempo for is a 1700 body when I don't want to leave TGU/Des Koala or TGU/TGU on the field and making Acid Golem is a stupid play 

Acid Golem was a mistake. Temtempo was the closest thing we could do to banning Acid Golem without actually modifying the banlist. One of our goals was to shift the focus on TGU away. rather than the card doing literally everything, we wanted it to mainly just be a roleplayer in the same way the card was played in the 2011 nats format plant decks.

Grimey    8114

Acid Golem was a mistake. Temtempo was the closest thing we could do to banning Acid Golem without actually modifying the banlist. One of our goals was to shift the focus on TGU away. rather than the card doing literally everything, we wanted it to mainly just be a roleplayer in the same way the card was played in the 2011 nats format plant decks.

I don't think making TGU a TGU counter would shift the focus away from TGU lmao 

+Mascis    4566

If my opponents makes Acid Golem with his TGU and I respond by making Temtempo with mine, I'm probably not searching Sangan. TGU has become not just a machine for spitting out Sangan, something a majority of people disliked about the card, but it's got interesting functionality. The shift in focus from the new set is made by adding cards that boost underrepresented themes and adding card that make TGU/Acid Golem worse but not completely unplayable.

+Gemstone Mine    2731
I do agree, I think acid golem was the mistake, not temtempo. Idk what the rank 3 pool looks like these days, but there has to be another option

As far as r3s go, there's muzurhythm, which has 1500 ATK and can detach to double its attack when it's attacking a monster (not direct attacks) - this gives you the same potential as acid in hitting 3k attack but then leaves you vulnerable during your opponent's turn

and maybe chronomaly crystal chrononaut, but that may be too strong

Case 1: known TGU mirror

Neither player wants to commit to making Acid Golem because of the threat of Temtempo.

Case 2: TGU vs. unknown

TGU player doesn't want to make Acid Golem because the threat of Temtempo still exists. 

Case 3: TGU vs. known to not play TGU

Same situation as before Temtempo's introduction for both players. However, for the deck not playing TGU, their opponent had to play the match earlier under case 2 unless they had information from a friend/prior round.

Case 4: neither player running TGU

both Acid and Temtempo are irrelevant

It shifts the focus away from TGU simply because you can't go blind Acid Golems without knowing your opponent's deck doesn't have Rescue Cat, or Tour Guide in it. In most of these cases, TGU has reduced versatility because making Acid Golem simply isn't an option unless your back is totally against the wall, since the threat of Temtempo is so devastating. In none of these cases is running Tour Guide more valuable than it was previously, except you might miss out on some easy autowins versus weaker players who don't respect the threat of Temtempo. It's a small addition to the format that will rarely be summoned for value(Unless you count beating over used Breakers/Tribes as "value".) But has a profound effect on the way people play their cards.

Soul    7941

If my opponents makes Acid Golem with his TGU and I respond by making Temtempo with mine, I'm probably not searching Sangan. TGU has become not just a machine for spitting out Sangan, something a majority of people disliked about the card, but it's got interesting functionality. The shift in focus from the new set is made by adding cards that boost underrepresented themes and adding card that make TGU/Acid Golem worse but not completely unplayable.

tgu certainly has increased versatility, but i think you guys are severely overrating acid golems actual usefulness in game. sure its nice to have, but its rarely appropriate to summon it. and introducing temtempo into the pool kinda just makes it even riskier than it already was. you had tons of things to check acid golem, i dont think you had to go with a legit curbstomp on the whole xyz mechanic in general. 

Grimey    8114

Case 1: known TGU mirror

Neither player wants to commit to making Acid Golem because of the threat of Temtempo.

Case 2: TGU vs. unknown

TGU player doesn't want to make Acid Golem because the threat of Temtempo still exists. 

Case 3: TGU vs. known to not play TGU

Same situation as before Temtempo's introduction for both players. However, for the deck not playing TGU, their opponent had to play the match earlier under case 2 unless they had information from a friend/prior round.

Case 4: neither player running TGU

both Acid and Temtempo are irrelevant

It shifts the focus away from TGU simply because you can't go blind Acid Golems without knowing your opponent's deck doesn't have Rescue Cat, or Tour Guide in it. In most of these cases, TGU has reduced versatility because making Acid Golem simply isn't an option unless your back is totally against the wall, since the threat of Temtempo is so devastating. In none of these cases is running Tour Guide more valuable than it was previously, except you might miss out on some easy autowins versus weaker players who don't respect the threat of Temtempo. It's a small addition to the format that will rarely be summoned for value(Unless you count beating over used Breakers/Tribes as "value".) But has a profound effect on the way people play their cards.

We have different definitions of "shifting the focus away" then because I'm implying that none of this makes me NOT want to put TGU in every deck. 

+scuzzlebutt    23563
yeah you probably just have to think harder then. i know you can if u try

hint

In none of these cases is running Tour Guide more valuable than it was previously, except you might miss out on some easy autowins versus weaker players who don't respect the threat of Temtempo. It's a small addition to the format that will rarely be summoned for value(Unless you count beating over used Breakers/Tribes as "value".) But has a profound effect on the way people play their cards.

Grimey    8114

yeah you probably just have to think harder then. i know you can if u try

hint

In none of these cases is running Tour Guide more valuable than it was previously, except you might miss out on some easy autowins versus weaker players who don't respect the threat of Temtempo. It's a small addition to the format that will rarely be summoned for value(Unless you count beating over used Breakers/Tribes as "value".) But has a profound effect on the way people play their cards.

???