welcometointernet

September 2012

I just picked up a wind-up core, and i thought it might be cool to make a deck for this format again, wanted to discuss a few things:

• after which set should i build, pre/post abyss rising/post czbr
  • what decks were playable and what was the best at each point
  • what would be worth changing in hindsight

Was never a fan of fire fist, it seemed like it was just a generic backrow+engine deck, didnt really have any nuts plays at the time, had pretty good side board options though.
I feel like mermail were definitely the best post czbl, the deck was nuts with what it could do, there was definitely a reason that it has popped up whenever the power level dropped down in later formats.
I really enjoyed wind-ups, shock master was dumb, I really liked the smaller plays and combos the deck had such as rabbit bouncing rat then making leviair + whatever etc.

why did upstart see next to no play, i understand mermail not running it with megalo+diva being exactly 8000, but it seems like the other decks had plenty of filler cards

I was also wondering why did vanitys emptiness see next to no play, was it because people didnt "discover" it, or were there other reasons such as backrow being too prevalent and better floodgates in the board? 

»ACP    33410

Obligatory "gishki was tier 0" post.

• Upvote 6

»Digbick    7249
Only a few knew about Emptiness until Dragon ruler format, that's why no one used it in Sept

Suuwo    647

I'm pretty sure plenty of people knew about vanity's emptiness especially here since that's where I heard about the card first. Backrow was prevalent like you said and I remember hearing stuff in TCG vs OCG arguments about TCG playing not to lose while OCG played to win when it came to general deck building. I do think vanity's would have been a great card to board in going first. I only remembered seeing upstart being played in GK and Six Samurai which were linear rogue decks that absolute had to had a specific set up t1 or straight up lose. Upstart definitely should have been played then even in mermails since they were running undine to search combo pieces so the life point argument is kind of weak.

I still can't get over how ridiculous the WU shockmaster set up strategy was that Josh Graham's unrefined WU 42 card deck with 2 dualities still got him there just because few had realized how good that strategy was.

Grimey    8113

Vanity was really common mid-late format. 

Agents brick often. 

Mermail lost completely to Vanity/Soul Drain and shit so g2/3 was always depressing. 

Wind-ups usually teched Soul Taker/Smash Ground for Chaos Dragons + Mermail. Also teched TKR earlier in the format where Wind-up was expected 90% of the time. 

Chaos Dragons were pretty consistent tbh, not much to say about them. 
Dark World nutted on Wind-ups obv. 

HEROes were pretty underrated especially when Sharpman/other frequent HERO users started testing cool techs like TGU, BLS, etc etc 

• Upvote 3

Grimey    8113

Vanity was really common mid-late format. 

Agents brick often. 

Mermail lost completely to Vanity/Soul Drain and shit so g2/3 was always depressing. 

Wind-ups usually teched Soul Taker/Smash Ground for Chaos Dragons + Mermail. Also teched TKR earlier in the format where Wind-up was expected 90% of the time. 

Chaos Dragons were pretty consistent tbh, not much to say about them. 
Dark World nutted on Wind-ups obv. 

HEROes were pretty underrated especially when Sharpman/other frequent HERO users started testing cool techs like TGU, BLS, etc etc 

Abyss Rising format (before Fire Fists), was the most fun imo 

brighteyes    2150
I saw Emptiness at 2011 nats fuck y'all mean fam?
  • Upvote 2

Grimey    8113

geargia karakuri and geargia machina were both fun and good

Yeah Geargia/Geargiakuri was practically an auto-loss for Wind-ups. Extremely difficult match-up (and part of the reason TKR tech was still played past the beginning of the format). Almost forgot about that deck even though it was the nuts lmao 

Smergler    40

I had this format (post CBLZ) for a while and I just took it apart. Wind-Ups are fun... for about 5 minutes, but once you've been shock locked for the 10th time and done the same combo yourself the 10th time it gets pretty boring. Mermails were the most fun to play with, but unless the person playing against them has a ton of traps or Shock Master, they're just the superior deck and the games are too one-sided. Heroes, Fire Fist, and Dino Fist are just random engines plus traps which you could get from any format. Chaos Dragons, Psychics, Karakuri and everything else that was relevant wasn't quite as good as the other stuff.

Justin.    734

Another reason why Mermail had a difficult against Wind-Ups was because of how the deck evolved. Towards the end of the format Macro was starting to be played over Fissure, and Mermail could never beat Macro + Shock on Spells.

I actually really loved this format. I played Wind-Ups the entire format so I got to learn the deck completely. The mirror match was also really fun, and if you built your deck properly/knew how to play the mirror Shock was pretty much a non-factor.

captainameowica    3770

I saw Emptiness at 2011 nats fuck y'all mean fam?

i mean, barely. with oppression still around very few played vanity's emptiness

brighteyes    2150
One of my favorite formats ever though. I'd take YCS Miami format over almost any other.

+Paraliel+    8030

YCS Meadowlands was fun because Spellbooks were starting to become a thing as well as Infernities

ralfiano    43

Infernities were not fun to play against lol

petqwe    286
The ocg winter 2012 is the format i feel real ygo is back (rather than the shitstorm of inzectors). The fire fist vs evilswarm is very exciting, players can burn 5+ cards for just one simple battle. This is a format for real man where monsters actually attack monsters and monsters are destroyed via battle.

+Gemstone Mine    2596

fire fist

oh, you mean that deck that played 3 of inzektor hornet with 1700 attack? For some reason don't remember a whole lot of monsters actually duking it out going on.

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150
I remember swinging for 1700 and searching a Rota or a Double Summon all day erry day

+Gemstone Mine    2596

see, i dont see how anyone has good memories of this format. I can kind of understand, but even then, and especially now, the top tier decks were garbage. Maybe that's what makes it an attractive format, because of the low power level, but the top tier decks were awful. I still can't get over putting down a 1900 vanilla beatstick some backrow and passing actually being a play in a tourament. All the top tier decks just perpetually had really really awkward hands, the top tier decks just lack the redundancy of previous and following decks. Mermails and fire fist weren't as bad about it, but decklists just hurt.

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150
Also something really important about this format was that there were two Torrential Tributes. It's something that I don't see discussed often enough but that card in multiples had a large impact on the format and was one of the reasons why the format was so healthy.

captainameowica    3770

abyss rising made the format kinda shit, cosmo blazer made the format completely shit. 

looking back, upstart seems ridiculous in wind up and rabbit builds. 3 upstart in wind up leads to mag + shark + 3 backrow significantly more often. even in rabbit, hitting the rabbit or tour guide sooner is never bad. 

chaos dragons are unfortunately too fair this format. maybe if raiden or kuribandit had been released the deck would be stronger.

petqwe    286

fire fist

oh, you mean that deck that played 3 of inzektor hornet with 1700 attack? For some reason don't remember a whole lot of monsters actually duking it out going on.
FF has naturally weak monsters while evilswarm just summon multiple beefy monsters per turn (although they dont gain advantage by themselves). If you are playing windup, yes that is a fucking hornet and this is exactly the reason why windup only makes up a smaller part of meta.