ACP

Greg Leeds Resigns as WOTC President

+ACP+    33975

Apparently we'll be transitioning to cocks. But hey, that's still probably better than the old leadership.

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1859
Compared to Hearthstone, League, etc, Magic is way too far behind. There is only so much SCG can do. I am glad Hasbro is (seemingly) making a change in this direction. Magic has the potential to be so much more than it is now.

+Urthor    10221

I'm not sure MTG's general decision to not compete with Hearthstone in the digital space at all can be put down to one man.  P. sure it's a general WotC decision that they're not going to go toe to toe with Blizzard because they can't do it without compromising their pricing model, and that's just the nature of the game.  

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1859

I'm not assigning blame to anyone in particular, i.e. Leeds. Wizards is also hiring a lot of software developers, which along with the murmuring I've been hearing, everything is pointing in that direction. I agree that Magic can't compete with Hearthstone largely because of the pricing, but Magic can also be doing a hell of a lot more. They just needs to find the sweetspot between FNM and the space Hearthstone is occupying. 

»BoraxTheLean    7124

I'm not assigning blame to anyone in particular, i.e. Leeds. Wizards is also hiring a lot of software developers, which along with the murmuring I've been hearing, everything is pointing in that direction. I agree that Magic can't compete with Hearthstone largely because of the pricing, but Magic can also be doing a hell of a lot more. They just needs to find the sweetspot between FNM and the space Hearthstone is occupying. 

Thanks for the lead.

Also, I hope for new and exciting times to come for MTG.

+mmf    23221
i actually think ygos been steadily improving and magic has been steadily getting worse for a while now

»victor    6391

What is FNM?

+Gemstone Mine    2595

i actually think ygos been steadily improving and magic has been steadily getting worse for a while now

i definitely disagree, i just think people are starting to get more and more apathetic about konami's bullshit. Seriously, there should have been riots over konami's choice to e ban a deck a week after it was released, but people shrugged and kept going. They've gotten worse about shitting on prices via reprints, they've gotten worse on the banned lists, they haven't really fixed any event problems, their recent card design has been some of the most shitty card design on earth, what have they gotten better at?

Wizards is making a lot more mistakes than before, but wizards is definitely capable of doing stuff to benefit the fan base as opposed to konami, whose scale only goes from complete assfucking to moderate assfucking.

+mmf    23221
if anything ygos ban list even with the e-ban (the deck was still the best after the bans BTW) is better than modern rn LOL

card design is also way better. pendulum mirrors were dope. there are consistently 2-3 options that people can make arguments for being the best deck on a given day. sure, card advantage "literally doesn't matter anymore" but that just means the rules are different, doesn't mean everything is dumb/broken/unfair/unfun

i mean our events are still shit... but were getting more of them at least! kinda

my wallet so breaded up imma go to starcitygames, buy 20 stacks of the fuckin next level deckbuilding books and shit on all of em

+Gemstone Mine    2595

imo, Kozmos are among the worst designed cards in the history of yugioh. They are floating, recurrable boss monsters with high stats, that can destroy cards for free, are very difficult to interact with, and come down at instant speed. They are not considered to be the best deck by virtue of not being able to shit out an unbeatable turn 1 field, and often unable to beat other deck's unbeatable t1 board. That's horrendous card design across the board.

You are literally comparing the best format of yugioh to the worst format in mtg. Good comparison, it takes yugiohs best to compare to wizard's worst

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8045
I don't think Modern is actually that bad since the bans

And 2-3 decks being considered the best is much less than Magic

+Urthor    10221

Idk I'm pretty sure we said that about countless Yugioh formats before they steadily got worse and worse.  Like MTG is still MTG fundamentally it's pretty alright, but is there any sign of the reversal of the trend for creature focused set design>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>spell focused set design any time soon?  Plateauing isn't enough, if things aren't getting better they're just digging into a groove and creating a new normal for Magic.  

+Paraliel+    8045

Magic is good but can always strive to be better

It definitely needs to bring itself into current times by working to compete with Hearthstone type gaming (MTGO needs a huge overhaul, probably from a fundamental level of what they really want it to be). I'm in the beta, and I can see they are trying to make huge changes with it.

+Paraliel+    8045

I think the people who think YGO is getting better have Stockholm Syndrome with the game. I could be biased in that (probably am) but it is degrading in my opinion and they don't really know what they want to do with the game.

+ACP+    33975

When I say that I hope MTG will suck less, it has nothing to do with the card design. It's mainly the fact that the company seemed like it had basically given up on MTGO over the past couple of years, which was one of the best things about the game.

• Upvote 2

+mmf    23221
yeah if dn dies from the picture shit i have to take back some of those nice things i just said about konami and ygo

»Relianah    4539

yeah if dn dies from the picture shit i have to take back some of those nice things i just said about konami and ygo

mtgo is pretty bad, but it's still a million times better then DN
  • Upvote 4

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1859

mtgo is pretty bad, but it's still a million times better then DN

Every time someone talks about their ranking on DN, I remember the MOCS, and laugh a little. 

• Upvote 2