Sign in to follow this  
Gojira

Stock Market Investing

+Gojira    1706

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm a huge noob, as I have only started thinking about investing since I opened an account in March. However, I feel I've started to get the hang of certain strategies, but also that I am severely lacking in most areas of analysis/knowledge. Because of this, my thoughts will probably appear scattered.

To build my portfolio, I started by trying fundamental analysis, i.e. analyzing specific companies to see whether they were good long term investments. However, I quickly moved to focusing on technical analysis because it produces quicker results. Unfortunately my first investment (AAPL) turned out to be a huge mistake, because I underestimated the impact of a company's reports, even when the contents are basically known beforehand. My second investment (ABX) was aimed at taking advantage of fluctuating oil prices, planning on selling the stock quickly once it appeared to peak. If you look at ABX's history over the past few months, there have been multiple opportunities to buy and sell quickly. 

One thing I've tried to do is pay attention to daily fluctuations in prices when selling/buying to cover my transaction costs. For instance, over about a month, most stocks dipped in price significantly around 11:00 am, 1-2 hours after the market opened, regardless of where they were trending when the market opened.

Recently I made an investment in NVIDIA which I planned to be long term, but I basically chickened out as it wasn't stable enough for my liking. I still think it is likely a good investment now, despite having already increased dramatically this year. I'm going to be focusing on another account (in Voya investments) soon, as it's been losing money, which will be a very different experience having to use the different Voya portfolios.

If there's interest, here's my transaction history:

Current Investments: 5434+/-20    Cash: 4.97     Performance: ~9.0% (lower than it appears due to an account bonus)

trans hist.PNG

trans hist 2.PNG

buckwheatloaf    205

okay im kinda interested in this. so far my investment experience is only on the grand exchange and in the yugioh singles market (|:|)  :wub::unsure::blush::mellow::P

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Jazz    5066
1 hour ago, TRUMPOLOGIST said:

How much time do you spend on this per day?

Extremely relevant. Giving up free time that could be used to better yourself professionally/academically/socially/physically/mentally is an opportunity cost. It's not simply about making a small profit over transaction fees, it's about making enough money to justify the lost time.

• Upvote 4

Wumbologist    14202

I would like to do some investing myself but it seems difficult when I have a full time job. I'm at work while the market is open and I don't have the time to monitor things as closely as I'm sure I would need to. 

I have some friends who were trading penny stocks a year or two ago and made some nice money. I know those are different from what Gojira is investing in, but they would be spending much of every day doing it. Even after the market was closed they would be on Twitter and various trading discussion sites for hours looking for news and trying to pump stocks. 

+Gojira    1706
1 hour ago, TRUMPOLOGIST said:

I would like to do some investing myself but it seems difficult when I have a full time job. I'm at work while the market is open and I don't have the time to monitor things as closely as I'm sure I would need to. 

I have some friends who were trading penny stocks a year or two ago and made some nice money. I know those are different from what Gojira is investing in, but they would be spending much of every day doing it. Even after the market was closed they would be on Twitter and various trading discussion sites for hours looking for news and trying to pump stocks. 

Penny stocks are a different beast entirely. Trading with those is basically a full time job as you have to be watching constantly and incurs huge risk. You also have to be using a different system than I am so that you can buy and sell within the same day (I have to wait at least 3 days)

1 hour ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Are you trying to build a long-term portfolio or are you trying scalp the market? From what you described, you're looking to scalp more than build a portfolio.

I guess I've been trying to scalp the market up til now. Currently i have the entirety of the account in AEP, which is a very strong long term investment; 3.3-3.5% per year dividends. Additionally it appears very low risk based both on the company and on its stock history.

+Satchmo    3220

This is something that interests me if you have any reading material on it. I can't actually afford stocks, but I watching the /market to learn sounds like a nice side hobby if you wanted to get into it later.

+Gojira    1706
1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

This is something that interests me if you have any reading material on it. I can't actually afford stocks, but I watching the /market to learn sounds like a nice side hobby if you wanted to get into it later.

That's one of the reasons I made this thread  actually; I don't know any good reading material. All the main investment or analysis sites often have conflicting opinions or even just useless information based on the writer.

»ACP    33398

Regardless of who you happen to support, wait until after the election until you lay down any significant investments. If Trump gets elected, the stock market is going to tank.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

+Gojira    1706
44 minutes ago, ACP said:

Regardless of who you happen to support, wait until after the election until you lay down any significant investments. If Trump gets elected, the stock market is going to tank.

Why do you think that is the case?

»ACP    33398
3 minutes ago, Gojira said:

Why do you think that is the case?

Everyone thinks that's the case. Trump supporters might say that that's because these guys on Wall Street are all "liberal elites", but at some point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If everyone thinks that the market will tank when Trump becomes president, they'll all sell which will actually make the market tank.

Historically, the stock market has not done as well under Republican presidents as it has under Democrats. Trump is even worse. The Global Forecasting Service says that a Trump presidency will hurt the economy just as much as the rise in global terrorism: https://gfs.eiu.com/Archive.aspx?archiveType=globalrisk.

Again, we can debate why a Trump presidency would trigger a market collapse, but virtually all of the notable investors agree that it will happen. Whether it's because Trump opposes free trade, or because Trump in office will hurt our standing in the middle east, or because his immigration policies will hurt American businesses, it's going to happen one way or another.

Now that being said, perhaps after the panic selling starts to die off and everyone calms down, that might be a good time to buy afterwards when the market starts to go through a correction phase.

• Upvote 3

buckwheatloaf    205

ur not factoring in the wall. the prices of commodities like brick and limestone would rise so much to offset the minus.

• Upvote 9

i've always been keen on trying this, how/where do i get into it? whats a good amount of money to set aside to start?

+Gojira    1706
13 hours ago, welcometointernet said:

i've always been keen on trying this, how/where do i get into it? whats a good amount of money to set aside to start?

There are lots of places you can start, depends on how much you want to put in. I'm using Capital One 360, which has a tiered bonus incentive ($50-600), starting at 5,000. Many places will offer better incentives but require larger starting amounts. Similarly, the larger your account/trades, the lower your transaction fees will be.

You should set aside an amount of money you can afford to take a risk with, even if you're going to be using safer practices than I am. If you don't have much to risk, you might consider setting up a phantom account, and logging proposed trades to see how well your methodology works before investing actual money.

21 minutes ago, Gojira said:

There are lots of places you can start, depends on how much you want to put in. I'm using Capital One 360, which has a tiered bonus incentive ($50-600), starting at 5,000. Many places will offer better incentives but require larger starting amounts. Similarly, the larger your account/trades, the lower your transaction fees will be.

You should set aside an amount of money you can afford to take a risk with, even if you're going to be using safer practices than I am. If you don't have much to risk, you might consider setting up a phantom account, and logging proposed trades to see how well your methodology works before investing actual money.

This so much. 

+Gojira    1706

Update: I finally broke the 10% mark. Lost a lot from the brexit vote and a good amount from the rate hike scare, but cut my losses quickly enough to recover.

• Upvote 1

buckwheatloaf    205

Trump’s promise to revive the nation’s infrastructure sent industrial shares soaring more than 7.5 percent, with commodities needed for everything from airports to bridges expected to benefit, according to Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

they left out WALLS 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

+Gojira    1706

Small update: 

I ended up buying more Apple towards the end of the year, and obviously it has done insanely well.

I've continued to play with Barrick Gold (ABX). Their most recent earnings report (about 3 months ago) missed expectations, but it was clearly oversold, so I bought into it again, and it's gone up about 4% since then. I expect it to continue creeping up barring major changes in the price of gold. Unless something changes, I plan on holding these two until a year is up at least to get the reduced capital gains tax. 

»ACP    33398

I've actually learned a lot more investing since I last posted in this thread lol. I know you code a bit @Gojira so you might want to start looking into some high-frequency trading algorithms.

+Logic    2033

Radial Personal Finance has been an awesome podcast/app I have been using to reevaluate how i approach financing.

Basically, dude was turned off by how difficult it is to find entry-level investment and finance podcast, so he made it himself. It's a combination of his story as a financial advisor and learning a lot through a lot of studying. He does a really good job of showing every perspective and constantly reminding you that not every bit of information you read is going to apply to you and you need to actively modify the advice accordingly.

https://radicalpersonalfinance.com/

• Upvote 1

+Gojira    1706
16 hours ago, ACP said:

I've actually learned a lot more investing since I last posted in this thread lol. I know you code a bit @Gojira so you might want to start looking into some high-frequency trading algorithms.

Now, I know how these work, but you need to have a different kind of access to the market than I currently do. I'm not sure how to get that.

Aaron    2002

ya nvidia is a solid investment. 

if i was in to stocks i would invest in nvidia and nintendo no doubt about it. they're bossing the graphics card division and nintendo are one 3D pokemon release away from exploding stocks wise (which they've confirmed WILL happen). i don't see AMD investing anything promising in the next 2 years graphics card wise and with the recent vega wait, I'm sure A LOT of people are going to switch teams and just eat up the gsync tax now or next gen. 

How much do u reccomend as a starting bank roll to invest in stocks with? I have a stable good income but could work my ass off for a month or two to have a decent bank roll to invest with. 

I can right now start investing with about £10k but I'm limited on time when it comes to stocks. Could do with someone to give me a hand and discuss shit with. 

Edited by Aaron

»ACP    33398
On 8/24/2017 at 10:35 AM, Gojira said:

Now, I know how these work, but you need to have a different kind of access to the market than I currently do. I'm not sure how to get that.

I believe that interactive brokers has a full API that anyone can utilize. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet though, been too busy with other things.