ACP

I don't understand DGz and no one likes me

+ACP+    34068

I've received overwhelming feedback that many of our newer members are having a hard time due to not really "getting" DGz. To those members, this post is for you.

We used to have some pretty simple advice for our members: lurk more. In more recent times, this advice has often been ignored, and in many cases isn't that helpful anyways. The reason that lurking was (and still is) strongly advised was so that you can get a sense of DGz's culture before posting here. While we expect everyone to be their own person, there is some minimal amount of fitting in that is required to become a good member of a community. DGz members have a unique way of expressing themselves, and getting used to this is in many ways like getting used to living in a foreign country.

The first thing that you need to know is to expect brutal honesty at all times. If you post a terrible deck on the boards, people will let you know that it's terrible. They won't say, "Nice deck, but I think it could use a few improvements." They will say, "This deck fucking sucks, and here's why." That being said, don't go around just blindly insulting people and thinking that it's going to earn you cool points. You need to explain why the other person is an idiot, not just post, "You're an idiot." In other words, your facts don't need to be backed up by insults, but your insults need to be backed up by facts.

Do not post about Yugioh outside of the Yugioh-related forums. Realize that half of the site doesn't play, and many of them never want to hear the word "Yugioh" ever again. On the flipside, don't go into the Yugioh-related forums and tell them all that Yugioh is a shitty game. I've beaten that horse to death already. Besides, most of them already know that Yugioh is a shitty game; they're just continuing to play it so that they can fall back on their 2 YCS tops when they're questioning whether or not they've been a complete failure in all aspects of life.

No, we haven't heard of you. If you go around the Yugioh boards acting like you're God's gift to Yugioh, you're going to get flamed off the site. If you want everyone to know how awesome you are at Yugioh, prove it. Post some cutting-edge theory. Share some sick decklists with us. If you do this, you will gain a following (and also lots of pos reps).

We've had 13 years to develop inside jokes, shitty memes, and references to epic smashes that you have no clue about. We don't expect you to get them. No, we're not going to explain them all to you. Just quietly observe or ignore them and don't draw attention to yourself and the fact that you're new. After you've been here for awhile and we get to know you, a veteran might explain some of them to you.

The best way to insure that you get negged as much as possible is to complain about your negs. Don't be that guy who makes your first post, gets -5 rep, then posts, "Wow why did all of you guys neg me?" gets negged some more, then loses their shit and says, "Fuck you guys," and leaves DGz after some angry rant about how we're all basement-dwelling cucks or whatever other terrible insult you can muster up. Just take your negs, take notes, and move on. My first DGz post sucked balls. Yours probably will too. There are a few people on this site who initially were quite disliked but changed their ways and eventually became mods.

Make it look like you put some thought into your post, even if you actually didn't. Look at this post for example. I've listed out all of my points in logical order, spaced them out into nice paragraphs, and make it seem like I actually give a shit about what I'm saying. Short posts with little substance have a tendency to get negged. Don't post to just say that you agree with someone else's post. Just give the post a pos rep to show that you approve this message. Posts that just consist of phrases like "that post made me lol," "nice deck," etc will make you come off as a dumbass, even if you are actually quite intelligent.

To our veterans: If you have other advice, post below, and I'll add it to my list of points. If you see a new member who is clearly not trying to do most of the above, tag them ITT so that they can hopefully set themselves on the right track. If you're a new member but you feel like none of this advice is helpful or that you're still having trouble fitting in, post below and we'll try to provide additional advice and clarification.

• Upvote 26

JAPANESE GOBLIN    2182

heres some advice:

if youve been here for like a week or a month youre not suddenly like wise and all knowing about this site, even if youve lurked. i see this a lot where people who are still very new act like suddenly they understand everything now and thats a great way to get knocked back down. especially if youre an infrequent poster, you wont become "known" that quickly or easily. just chill and dont worry about understanding dgz as a whole.

and not advice but consider yourselves real lucky allen ended up buying the site. like him or not he tries to be mostly impartial. i certainly wouldnt be lol.

• Upvote 6

»Tygo    14313
23 minutes ago, ACP said:

There are a few people on this site who initially were quite disliked but changed their ways and eventually became mods.

Ah..... Ahyep

• Upvote 1

my advice

if you really want to excel here, worry less about little tid bits like "this card can also do this," or "this or that single point." certainly post them if you think of them and they aren't redundant, but more importantly, try to actually either break ground or communicate a shit ton of info in your posting and create a complete picture or analysis of any topic.

3 minutes ago, Monahan said:

my advice

if you really want to excel here, worry less about little tid bits like "this card can also do this," or "this or that single point." certainly post them if you think of them and they aren't redundant, but more importantly, try to actually either break ground or communicate a shit ton of info in your posting and create a complete picture or analysis of any topic.

What I got out of that post is for the most part don't post little piddly things, don't be an echo, and totally write whole essays as your post like Monahan does

• Downvote 1

+ACP+    34068
2 minutes ago, Monahan said:

my advice

That's a good point. Perfect example of what not to do: 

His post is filled with things like "Dark Hole clears fields" which are completely unhelpful rather than actually explaining why he choose to play this deck and why he made certain unconventional card choices.

• Upvote 1

Squiddy    9278

ya to all new membars to da playground dont be discouraged. its OK to throw yourself out there but make sure ur logic/deck discussion etc has been properly tested and is backed by a solid explanation. back when i started in early 2010 i had -2000ish rep and was baned once (maybe 2?) times before i had to ask brady and the cool dgz crowd back in the day very nicely at ycs tacoma in 2012 if i could rejoin cuz i knew i was missing so much important info relevant to competitive yugimon (|:|)

tldr; dont get discoruraged by red. its not nearly as bad as it used to be. play as much as possable to get good at this game. dont take advice from /r/yugioh or pojo. also stop playing bad cards/decks just because u like them

EDIT: this thred kinda brings bak memories dgz should hav a hall of fame for the old legendary threds back in that day that these n00bs shud be worthy of reading like this one for exsample lol

• Upvote 6

Blacklisted    1334

they're just continuing to play it so that they can fall back on their 2 YCS tops when they're questioning whether or not they've been a complete failure in all aspects of life.

fuck i love this

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, ACP said:

That's a good point. Perfect example of what not to do: 

His post is filled with things like "Dark Hole clears fields" which are completely unhelpful rather than actually explaining why he choose to play this deck and why he made certain unconventional card choices.

rather than apolegetics for card choices im moreso getting at little posts in deck disc like this:

"oh also that guy can get over this guy cus his atk > their defense in this semi-relevant scenario just something to keep in mind"

"oh trish is also good vs that deck just quick point"

etc. again, they're fine to post if they're not redundant, but too many people just only post shit like that in deck discs instead of, you know, actually discussing the deck

• Upvote 1

Mr Dragon    300

I'm not going to lie, when I saw on the sidebar 'I don't understand DGz and nobody likes me' by ACP, I was kind of confused at first. Coming at you abstractly, it just looks like Allen's had an existential crisis.

Though I haven't been here long, nor contributed a terribly large amount, I do have a small bit of advice: read some of the slightly older threads, it'll help get a grip on the general culture here in the same way lurking will. For the most part they're all still there and there's a lot of funny, bizarre and informative shit. (Sometimes all three like this thread - as aside from being funny and bizarre it teaches you that half of DGz would turn gay for Jeff Jones.) You don't need to go too far back in the archives to get a general picture of what these forums are like - none of the above threads are more than 2-3 years old.

• Upvote 7

+ACP+    34068
29 minutes ago, Mr Dragon said:

I'm not going to lie, when I saw on the sidebar 'I don't understand DGz and nobody likes me' by ACP, I was kind of confused at first. Coming at you abstractly, it just looks like Allen's had an existential crisis.

Though I haven't been here long, nor contributed a terribly large amount, I do have a small bit of advice: read some of the slightly older threads, it'll help get a grip on the general culture here in the same way lurking will. For the most part they're all still there and there's a lot of funny, bizarre and informative shit. (Sometimes all three like this thread - as aside from being funny and bizarre it teaches you that half of DGz would turn gay for Jeff Jones.) You don't need to go too far back in the archives to get a general picture of what these forums are like - none of the above threads are more than 2-3 years old.

God damn, I forgot how good some of those threads were.

• Upvote 1

markus    2087
6 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

RZR's post is bad people ignore it or... worse click the little red box that shall not be named

No it's a great post and you should pos rep him and Sanada.

+mark    3105
47 minutes ago, Mr Dragon said:

Can't believe I've never seen this before: this is amazing

markus    2087

Adv:

I'm not exactly a veteran but I've been around for a little more than a year. When I joined I intended to bring chaos about and then I also tried to learn ygo BC I was a bad netdecker who smashed synchros into everything and everyone told me I sucked and really bad member. I was at -100 from posting a really yugiohy thread in csk and then I got suspended and didn't come back for a few months. I came back and posted but my humor was gross and now that I've assimilated to the culture, humor and all this other dumb stuff, I've evolved as a member and now I'm somewhat accepted and understand dgz. Yes somewhat, not entirely, because people still hate me, and that's okay, and it's okay if people hate you too! It doesn't matter!

• Upvote 3

Mr Dragon    300
7 minutes ago, mark said:

Can't believe I've never seen this before: this is amazing

I know; the 'no woman is out of bounds for Allen C Pennington' post is worth the entire read on its own.

+Digbick    7376
23 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

RZR's post is bad people ignore it or... worse click the little red box that shall not be named

i will ban u

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

buckwheatloaf    190

dont start off wailing against the jews and the injustices they have wrought to the rest of mankind. it might be really tempting and stuff, and you mite think you had a good reason to be upset at them, but its really just dumb ok. if ur losing to the jews at school, try to learn from them and improve urself first, not turn bitter and jealous. its the same for yugioh. dont be resentful at the ppl that are winning all the time at the events and start thinking them cheaters (even if deep down part of u suspects jew trickery) instead try to copy their successes first. 

• Upvote 4

+The Antagonist    1668

You can get like 80% of the injokes by lurking iycottymp for a couple months and reading a bunch of threads in Permanent/Legendary. Most of those are hilarious even if you're not part of the "in" crowd, especially this one.

Also, you'll notice that mods and/or certain popular users can get away with ignoring the guidelines in the OP (your facts don't need to be backed up by insults, but your insults need to be backed up by facts.). If you're new, this doesn't include you.

Unless you're Allen, you probably can't get away with insulting the entire site and getting pos'd for it.

+The Antagonist    1668

oh and if you start caring about rep too much you're gonna have a bad time

if you get negged consistently, lurk for a bit. My first couple of posts were shit because I didn't know how to post on a forum with vaguely intelligent people, 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SSJ Grumpig    5713

essentially, this website operates exactly like high school

infer what you will

• Upvote 2