• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ACP

Anyone know R?

9 posts in this topic

See thread title.

If not, are there any R courses that anyone could recommend? Need to learn the basics first obviously. After that I would like to learn some more advanced concepts, particularly implementing R for machine learning and big data.

I know some. Feel free to AMA. I use it for statistical analysis and making nice graphs. In case you didn't know I'm in grad school for genetics.

Step 1. Download R Studio

Step 2. Learn the basics/syntax

Step 3. Learn how to seek help (google and the help functions)

Step 4. Profit

Attached to this post (?) is a PDF (thanks IPB4) of an okay text book we used in my biostats class. Should be a half decent intro.

Aho_Intro_to_R.pdf

I have taken 3 classes using R. For what specifically are you needing R? I can probably link you to some of my professor's online notes which are really helpful and example problems. The great thing about R is that there isn't a high learning curve to know how to use. 

I'd like to learn it to improve my standing within the job market. R often comes up as a required or preferred skill for quantitative researcher positions within the finance sector. The job descriptions are often pretty vague: "experience using the statistical packages in R," "experience using R to manipulate large sets of data," etc. So I want to be able to say that I have these skills without also being a liar.

If this is for a career I suggest you take a bootcamp course if possible:

https://www.switchup.org/research/best-data-science-bootcamps

Not sure how much it will cost you but considering you said the word "finance" I assume it will be a massive +EV move to take an intensive course and land one of those jobs. You will probably need R for the data analysis duties in your job description, so I think you need to acquire some serious proficiency to qualify. Definitely worth it if you are already proficient in the math behind the algorithms R uses and this is the kind of job you want to do.

r's how i made my 2 vs 3 pot of desires formulers and graphs :d

i think maybe you can say you have the skills then just figure out how to do the stuff u need to do with R when the time comes. but maybe get to know a little bit of basic stuff so u felt more confident in stretching the truth.

Lying about skills you do not have on a job interview is a horrendous idea.

however knowing a programming language can be 'dicked around with it on a saturday afternoon' 

12 hours ago, ACP said:

I'd like to learn it to improve my standing within the job market. R often comes up as a required or preferred skill for quantitative researcher positions within the finance sector. The job descriptions are often pretty vague: "experience using the statistical packages in R," "experience using R to manipulate large sets of data," etc. So I want to be able to say that I have these skills without also being a liar.

http://users.humboldt.edu/ygkim/

Thats the link to his website, he has all his lesson plans and hw problems w/ solutions if you want to practice it. Honestly if you know how to use Matlab or Matematica this shouldn't be too difficult. He also has posted links to other websites about R but I've never checked him, but his personal work is pretty great. He sure as hell made me comfortable using R