HououinKyouma

2017 MLB Thread

»Barron    8053
On 6/19/2017 at 2:34 PM, Pryda said:

I'm not sure if Rockies SP will last though, shit starts to hit the fan after ASB so we'll see how that goes.

I was mostly right, Rockies pitching is taking a shit now. If things keep going as is it'll be: Nats winning the NL East pretty easily unless Atlanta pulls a 2013 Dodgers hotstreak, I think Cubs will just edge out for the NL Central once they get healthy, if not then Brewers take it easily and It'll come down to LAD vs ARI and idk man ARI has our number right now but either team will be in the WC for sure. AL seems kinda dull: HOU taking AL West easy, AL Central is just a mess but it's similar to NL Central and with the AL East it'll be NYY vs BOS in similar scenario though. 

HououinKyouma    801
1 hour ago, Pryda said:

They've been on a roll the last month+ and have the 2nd best record in the MLB [1st is Astros by a game]. Good win tonight though!

Kershaw too stronk.

• Upvote 1

ZeroPassion    572

Now at the all star break, the division leaders are all who we all thought they'd be:

AL:

Houston (60-29) / Indians (47-39 at time of this post) / Red Sox (50-39) / Yankees WC (45-41) / Rays WC (47-43)

NL:

Dodgers (61-29) / Brewers (50-41) / Nationals (52-36) / Diamondbacks WC1 (53-36) / Rockies WC2 (52-39)

Okay, so maybe if you told me the Brewers were gonna lead their division at this point, I'd laugh you outta here.

Houston with the leagues best offense is just killing everybody. How they've survived with their starting pitching thus far baffles me, but definitely the best in the AL West. 

Indians coming back to their winning ways, although their starters outside of Kluber and Carrasco is worrisome. Interesting competition with the Royals and Twins in the race too. Funny enough, they have a losing home record - only one of 3 teams in the AL to not have such (along with the Twins and Blue Jays) luxury thus far.

Red Sox finally surging and breaking away from the rest for now. Yanks have been plummeting, but I hope they can bounce back with their run differential of +98. Rays are definitely surprising at this point.

NL West clearly the best division in baseball. Those Dodgers have been so damn good with the best overall ERA in baseball. Near similar run differential with the Astros at 163 (Astros w/ 162). Forget Kershaw for a moment, where the fuck did Alex Wood come from this season? Diamondbacks have stumbled as of late but still a very good team. Rockies hanging on too. 

NL Central completely surprised me, and I'm a Brewers fan. It is the Brewers division to lose at this point unless the Cubs or Cards get hot, but they'll have to prove that they are capable of doing just that.

Nationals have it much easier than the Brewers though and will win the east easily. Worst bullpen in baseball, though.

Home Run Derby, the All Star Game, then to the next part of the season.

• Upvote 2

»Barron    8053
18 minutes ago, ZeroPassion said:

Can the Dodgers please stop winning?

Thanks.

So much winning, like they can be down by 8 and still come back. Insane.

ZeroPassion    572
3 minutes ago, Pryda said:

So much winning, like they can be down by 8 and still come back. Insane.

jesus christ it is insane

i haven't seen a true superteam in the time i've been able to follow sports but they literally seem unstoppable.

i hope the brewers give them a run at dodger stadium this next week since they can compete well with them imo

assuming either team doesn't collapse the time that happens

WILD NL CENTRAL THOOOOOOOOO

»Barron    8053

I was earlier going to post that I wouldn't be surprised that Angels actually would fight HOU for the division coming next month but with that walk off GS, ouch. I think they can still get WC home field though. 

The Dodgers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the Mets tonight & he has the highest OPS since May. This is a brilliant move by the Dodger's FO & Joc Pederson isn't doing too well atm. This FO is really going out to try to win this year and this is big. 

• Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    801
On 8/18/2017 at 9:43 PM, Pryda said:

I was earlier going to post that I wouldn't be surprised that Angels actually would fight HOU for the division coming next month but with that walk off GS, ouch. I think they can still get WC home field though. 

The Dodgers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the Mets tonight & he has the highest OPS since May. This is a brilliant move by the Dodger's FO & Joc Pederson isn't doing too well atm. This FO is really going out to try to win this year and this is big. 

Anything is possible.

ZeroPassion    572

Dodgers lose their first series since June 6-8 vs the Nationals. 

They had went 19-0-3 in series before today.

Edited by ZeroPassion

Angeles    213
On 8/17/2017 at 7:32 PM, ZeroPassion said:

Can the Dodgers please stop winning?

Thanks.

☹️. They need to start winning again. Windians are super special btw. 

ZeroPassion    572
5 hours ago, Angeles said:

☹️. They need to start winning again. Windians are super special btw. 

A good thing the Dodgers won last night.

Indians also have enough wins in their streak to legally buy alcohol in the U.S.

Edited by ZeroPassion

»Barron    8053
On 6/29/2017 at 10:31 PM, Barron said:

I was mostly right, Rockies pitching is taking a shit now. If things keep going as is it'll be: Nats winning the NL East pretty easily unless Atlanta pulls a 2013 Dodgers hotstreak, I think Cubs will just edge out for the NL Central once they get healthy, if not then Brewers take it easily and It'll come down to LAD vs ARI and idk man ARI has our number right now but either team will be in the WC for sure. AL seems kinda dull: HOU taking AL West easy, AL Central is just a mess but it's similar to NL Central and with the AL East it'll be NYY vs BOS in similar scenario though. 

I was mostly right except for the AL Central in complete down the stretch. This post season is nothing like others. There's more teams that can actually win the WS than ever. The Wildcard games will be interesting to say the least. Twins are pretty underrated but remind me of the 2007 Rockies where lots of unknowns but can get the job done. The Yankees pitching has underpreformed and Sonny Gray hasn't hashed out to be THE pitcher they expected in the return of the trade. Maybe next year he'll get into rhythm. It would be a huge letdown if the Yankees don't advance from the WC with all their trades. As far as the ARI vs COL WC game, ARI "should" take this one easily as they have a lot of power hitters with Pollock, Goldy, JD Mart, Drury, Lamb, Rosales, etc. The only thing I worry about them is Greinke. He got lit up against the Marlins his last outing & has before during the season but his team was able to pull through in some games. For Rockies, they have the hitting but will it show up in ARI. Jon Gray has been doing good lately and I think will do enough to keep them in the game. I'm not really sure on their BP will be heavily reliable but we'll see.

HOU vs BOS is a match up you might not see again in certain cases, but it's a first: Verlander vs Sale. Sale has never pitched in the post season and Verlander has. Both teams have an influx of young talent & now legit SP. CLE is the super team in the East right now as they're really hot so either team advancing from the WC will be their victim. As for the NL, WSH vs CHI will be the series to watch. These guys will be going to after one another and might actually be low scoring games as WSH has the best NL Rotation this year & Cubs finally getting their rotation in order. WSH haven't advanced past the NLDS and are looking to break that streak and I think they'll actually do it. You have Strausburg, Scherzier & Gonzalez who are currently in the line for the CY Young and you have the Cubs who are looking to repeat but it will be more difficult this year than last as their first opponent won't be as easy as the Giants. Dodgers series vs ARI/COL [ARI more than likely] we'll be the lesser interesting as most people don't really care about the West but ARI has had the Dodgers number as I've listed in my post back in June. Again, their line up is a beast especially hitting a favorable ballpark like Chase Field. Game 1 will be Kershaw vs Ray, which should be a pitchers duel to an extent as I'm not sure if we'll get the same Kershaw from 2016 as we'll get here as he's been giving up HRs left and right. Ray has been lights out against the Dodgers this season. This series can go 5, barring ARI winning the first 2 games.

I'm pretty excited for this playoffs regardless of favorite team, so much hype & power in these teams. All I can say is that everyone is mostly healthy and will be a gauntlet.

• Upvote 2

HououinKyouma    801

Twins suck so bad. All the other al teams chasing just sucked worse. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees blow them out with a double digit lead.

• Haha 1

»Barron    8053

COL vs ARI was a good game, mostly called it but didn't think Jon Gray would take a shit this easily. One thing I'm glad is that they used Robbie Ray this game, Idk if they'll use him Game 1 on Friday. Greinke took a shit too so we'll see. 

HououinKyouma    801

Ari v Dogs was by far the most interesting. I'm a huge Bud Black fan and glad he took the rocks this far, but Ari Dogs will be more entertaining for sure.

HououinKyouma    801

Also tangentially related. This dropped recently on Netflix and is a 40 min doc on how going to a Dodgers game saved a dude from death row. Pretty interesting even if you're in socal and saw all the coverage.

HououinKyouma    801
3 hours ago, Barron said:

I'll check that out. 

Jose Altuve hit 3 HRs, 2 off of Sale lol.

Altuve is a beast. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins the MVP.

• Upvote 1