67 posts in this topic

On the topic of big monsters, the OCG is a big fan of Al-Lumi'raj in Paleozoic.

It's the card they brought in, esp vs BEWD, because Treetoad and your Rank 2s have high attack post-ALR, and your Paelozoics stay at 1200 ATK.

Not only is this deck low level/Rank but high attack, but making Chanbara for damage, and stuff like Catastor and Armades, has value.

Playing regular mirror wouldn't be too bad either. But slumber and Kaijus imo have been the way to go because blue eyes players tend to leave spirit on board to negate a trap in grave or make spark to disrupt chain links. 

Just saw the below list top one of the bigger OCG Tournies (116 people) and had some interesting traps / extra deck choices.

MONSTER CARDS (11):
2 Ronintoadin
3 Swap Frog
3 Maxx “C”
3 Dupe Frog

SPELL CARDS (4):
2 Pot of Desires
2 Cosmic Cyclone

TRAP CARDS (26):
2 Aegis of the Ocean Dragon Lord
1 Quaking Mirror Force
3 Dimension Barrier
1 Starlight Road
3 Paleozoic Olenoides
3 Paleozoic Canadia
3 Paleozoic Dinomischus
3 Paleozoic Marrella
1 Drowning Mirror Force
2 Bewildering Wind
1 Imperial Order
2 Shapesister
1 Solemn Judgment

EXTRA DECK (15):
1 Metalfoes Crimsonite
1 First of the Dragons
1 Greedy Venom Fusion Dragon
1 Elysion the Eidolon Beast
1 Herald of the Arc Light
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Number F0: Utopic Future
1 Cat Shark
1 Sky Cavalry Centaurea
1 Daigusto Phoenix
1 Paleozoic Anomalocaris
3 Paleozoic Opabinia
1 Toadally Awesome

SIDE-DECK (15):
1 Harpie’s Feather Duster
1 Super Polymerization
3 Different Dimension Ground
1 Starlight Road
3 Fairy Wind
3 Imperial Iron Wall
3 Anti-Spell Fragrance

I've included the cards that I found interesting in the line up:

Shapesister

Trap Cont

Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster (Fiend-Type/Tuner/EARTH/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 0). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) You can only activate 1 "Shapesister" per turn.

Use this to make Herald of the Arc Light and essentially have multiple negations with Toad.

Bewildering Wind (Comes out in RATE)

Trap Normal

Target 1 face-up Special Summoned monster on the field; it has its effects negated, also halve its original ATK. If your opponent Special Summons a monster from the Extra Deck while this card is in your Graveyard (except during the Damage Step): You can Set this card, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Seems like a generally good card for the deck in my opinion.

Aegis of the Ocean Dragon Lord

Trap Normal

Until the End Phase, face-up Level 3 or lower WATER monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects.

I'm tempted to try this out over Waboku. The protection from multiple forms of destruction seems pretty good, but it doesn't protect your XYZs so also seems lack luster. Ideally thinking though the XYZs shouldn't need protection from battle thanks to Cat Shark / your other traps.

shapesister is pretty busted i aint gunna lie

btw does anybody want to make a paleo discord ? im kinda down 

you could always just talk about the deck in the dgz discord

yea but I feel like dgz ygo discord is mostly about random notepad talk or ideas

i mean i would be down to put the paleo as a channel on the dgz discord but i feel it would be too big

but hey i noticed ur on it, so ill be more active on it. 

whats the discord link?

7 minutes ago, Blacklisted said:

whats the discord link?

Curious about people's opinion on 2 things here:

Considering the chances of opening Swap Frog+water = 20%, while it uses up 8 deck slots, one could op to cut it altogether. I've been thinking about 2 potential builds:

Build A:
minimal Zoodiac Rat engine + Paleozoic traps + the regular traps
Essentially instead of the Swap Frog play you do the standard Rat play, except you now play 9 copies of Rat instead of 3 copies of Swap Frog. You don't even play the Tensu and what not, just the Terrortop/Rats and go for the 1-card combo T1, then win the grindgame with Paleozoic -> Toads. 

Build B:
Barrier Statue water + Card of Demise. Could potentially play Kuribandit and/or Needlebug Nest. Potentially play Mirror Forces which are good against Zoodiac in general while also being good going 2nd, as well as protecting Barrier Statue here. 

Both builds would obviously max out on Pot of Desires, but in build B you essentially start with 6-card hands on average. I'd also play Upstarts in both builds, and potentially Into the Voids as well especially in the Demise version. Biggest problem would be going 2nd because going 1st the consistency would be quite good with either the Barrier/Demise build or the Zoodiac Rat build, and the second problem would be actually getting enough paleozoic traps in the graveyard to begin with so maybe there's a way to solve that as well (inbefore 60 card.lawnmowing is always the solution/if I believed in such a thing). 

Also, Hand Destructions? Potentially suck going 2nd, but especially in the Card of Demise/Pot of Desires variant you may want to dig for more cards, and you discard Paleozoic Traps so you dig for the Barrier or power draw cards or more Paleozoic traps so you can actually make Toad etc. It would depend on how much it'd be dead going 2nd probably and it does fix your opponent's hands, but if Zoodiac becomes big the consistency of that deck is high enough that idk how relevant that is. 

I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about Paleozoics when they are much better now that Invoked and Infernoid decks are seeing play; they can play Imperial Iron Wall for a reason, and they benefit because their Trap monsters aren't banished.

I bring this up, because Paleozoics can make Ghostrick Socuteboss -> stack Ghostrick Angel of Mischief, which coincidentally has both 2000 ATK and 2500 DEF, putting it in range of both DDV and Full Force Virus.

And as for the they flipped Dimension Barrier, the deck could play Shapesister so you can Synchro, and you have a couple relevant options:

Underworld Fighter Balmung, Hi Speedroid Puzzle, Old Entity Hastorr, Armory Arm, and Herald of Arc Light, also provide value.

Balmung floats vs destruction indefinitely vs Drident, Puzzle can retrieve Terrortop, Hastorr is interesting, Armory Arm, Herald is useful vs Grass, can search Sauravis.

-------

This is a more out there idea, but have people looked into Elemental Hero Blazeman in here?

Being able to make Absolute Zero who floats into Raigeki, or First of the Dragons, with the monster effect protection is another way you can take the deck, especially since Fusion Substitute already has value for Ratpier plays.

Posted (edited)

lol mb

Edited by Marigold

Is this supposed to be the best deck now? I've played many of them in a row on DuelingBook at this point. That Lost Wind trap is really powerful, as is Absolute King Back Jack. The 60 card Paleozoic version is very hard to deal with.

12 minutes ago, NB96 said:

Is this supposed to be the best deck now? I've played many of them in a row on DuelingBook at this point. That Lost Wind trap is really powerful, as is Absolute King Back Jack. The 60 card Paleozoic version is very hard to deal with.

It won 2 YCS'es in a row and the only thing that changed in the format is that every other competing deck was hit while paleozoic was unaffected, so yeah there's a good chance this is the "best deck" now.

That's not true.

We now have:

300?cb=20170330172759

Which is the card in OCG that kept WATER decks in check like System Down and Chimeratech do for Machines.

It also causes the Frogs to miss timing.

Didn't even realize that card was in the set. Finally we get it long after nekroz was hit

4 hours ago, victor said:

That's not true.

We now have:

300?cb=20170330172759

Which is the card in OCG that kept WATER decks in check like System Down and Chimeratech do for Machines.

It also causes the Frogs to miss timing.

I don't see why you would ever side this instead of more denko-like cards.

because denko does nothing to ronintoad in grave + mons in hand and this does something to those cards

they serve diff purposes and you probably want to play some number of both

Not sure if people are noticing this, but Aegis of the Ocean Dragon Lord, is a good card for Paleozoics right now.

It's what lets the deck play though field wipes like aforementioned Diamond Dust, Slumber, Dark Hole, Raigeki, Drident, and it lets you survive battles as well.

Another interesting trend to consider is people can play and actually are playing cards like Fossil Dyna and Penguin Soldier (LV 2 Aqua) in the sidedeck.

People think Game 2 and 3, that the facedown monster is just a Frog and then they get blown out.

Fossil Dyna does a good job of sealing games vs Infernoids, and you can actually protect it.

----------

I would bet that competitive players themselves would be siding Diamond Dust in Paleo both for the mirror and for the fact that the Burn matters in grindy games that go to time at big events.

I can even see the deck starting to play Ice Barrier monsters as tech because Dewdark of the Ice Barrier can attack directly for 1200 damage, and it's a LV 2 Aqua Tuner, to deal even more damage in time, and being a Tuner, let's you play through DBarrier. Secret Guards of the Ice Barrier might see play because you can Normal Summon it and they can't Drident, or the Paleo either, so you can make Treetoad without disruption. And Prior of the Ice Barrier and Medallion of the Ice Barrier gives the deck more options.

In Grass Looks Greener with Foolish Burial decks, the Graydle Slime Jr is a 1 card Treetoad or LV 4 Synchro, so that's interesting, with Graydle Impact to search for it.

Attempting to get back in the game. Made this last night. I really, really suck with this, but a lot of the time I realized (esp with 60 cards) if you don't see some combination of demise, desires, and grass, the deck is really slow.

It reminds me of this formats Dino Rabbit in the sense that it's a viable lock down strategy, but it can start really slow. I mean you can't even open t1 Toad really w.o Swap and another frog. Would Surface be worthy of playing here?

Also realized a huge inability to get over larger monsters w.o a live trap already set. Makes it seem like Geki + Hole should be staple to combat all the LS/Zombie shit and other decks that drop high atk mons. 

Also have no clue how this deck would fair in a mirror. Any mirror in this format kinda seems like aids, especially this one.

@Soul try to get on discord ygo. alot more convientent

and yea, mirror is aids. best cards for mirror are torrential, diamond dust, the water kaiju

pretty much field wipes that are traps or spells in a way. 

6 minutes ago, Silver said:

@Soul try to get on discord ygo. alot more convientent

and yea, mirror is aids. best cards for mirror are torrential, diamond dust, the water kaiju

pretty much field wipes that are traps or spells in a way. 

Stop telling people who want to discuss yugioh here to get to discord instead, please. 

discord is actually bad for the site because site looks inactive, so nobody posts and nobody visits.

This is a forum not a chatroom.

10 hours ago, Soul said:

Attempting to get back in the game. Made this last night. I really, really suck with this, but a lot of the time I realized (esp with 60 cards) if you don't see some combination of demise, desires, and grass, the deck is really slow.

It reminds me of this formats Dino Rabbit in the sense that it's a viable lock down strategy, but it can start really slow. I mean you can't even open t1 Toad really w.o Swap and another frog. Would Surface be worthy of playing here?

Also realized a huge inability to get over larger monsters w.o a live trap already set. Makes it seem like Geki + Hole should be staple to combat all the LS/Zombie shit and other decks that drop high atk mons. 

Also have no clue how this deck would fair in a mirror. Any mirror in this format kinda seems like aids, especially this one.

1) I guess that's why folks play Fiend Griefing + Black Jack and Reckless Greed. Foolish Burial also helps. Your traps slow the game down, and stuff like Paleozoic Leanchoilia let you grind it out.

2) That's why you can play Ice Barriers.

On 4/8/2017 at 10:51 AM, victor said:

I can even see the deck starting to play Ice Barrier monsters as tech because Dewdark of the Ice Barrier can attack directly for 1200 damage, and it's a LV 2 Aqua Tuner, to deal even more damage in time, and being a Tuner, let's you play through DBarrier. Secret Guards of the Ice Barrier might see play because you can Normal Summon it and they can't Drident, or the Paleo either, so you can make Treetoad without disruption. And Prior of the Ice Barrier and Medallion of the Ice Barrier gives the deck more options.

In Grass Looks Greener with Foolish Burial decks, the Graydle Slime Jr is a 1 card Treetoad or LV 4 Synchro, so that's interesting, with Graydle Impact to search for it.

If you really cared about first turn Toad, you'd play a Bahamut Shark variant with Silent Angler, or you could try Paleozoic Geminis because Catalyst Field and Brilliant Fusion give the deck extra Normal Summons and Gem-Knight Amethyst is Aqua fodder for Toad that tutors Crab with Lazuli. 

Not sure if people would play Tri-Wight in here, but that is a powerful card.

16 minutes ago, victor said:

Wanna post your thoughts on the mirror now? XD

hour and a half of pure horseshit. ill look into bahamut shark + angler tho. seems sick.