mark

Relinquished Strategy Discussion (outdated)

+mark    3105

This thread will serve all Relinquished deck discussion (for PvP / tournament etc. purposes, not for beating Ai). A guide will be added within a few days, but for now we can use this to discuss anything about the deck.

Relinquished, Black Illusion Ritual, Senju and Sonic Bird
This is the core of the deck, and it's very hard to obtain. You can get 2 Relinquished 2 Black Illusion Ritual only from the Pegasus event, so if you don't have it already, you'll have to hope and wait till it comes back. Senju and Sonic Bird are UR's in different sets, but having at least 2 of each is recommended if you want your deck to be optimal. 

Sphere Kurboh
Another UR, although in the same set as Sonic Bird. This card is especially useful because of it's graveyard effect: it's the full tribute of Relinquished. You probably always want to include 2 or 3 in your deck if you can.

Twister, De-Spell, Storm, Release Restraint Wave
Using these on your Relinquished equip means you can soak up another one of your opponent's monsters, which is huge. Twister is probably the best since it's the most versatile, stops opponent's Relinquisheds pushes during their turn, etc. The others are more situational and some would even call them win-more, but they can be a huge blow-out when you're able to pull them off.

Possesed Dark Soul
This card is the main counter being used against Relinquished, but it's especially to play it yourself as well: not only do you counter the mirror match, you also counter their Possesed Dark Soul by taking your own Relinquished back, so it's a great card to main. It can be dead sometimes, but it can also be a blow-out against Venus, and it takes Jerry Beans Man which people play as well.

Interdimensional Matter Transporter
Gives you the opportunity to use Relinquished's effect again. It may look weak and situational at first sight, especially considering the fact you leave your field open to get OTK'd and you have to wait a turn to get your Relinquished back, but when you consider you can basically use this to dodge 'anything', from Order to Charge to Possesed Dark Soul to your opponent attacking over it, you'll realize this card has a lot of uses and it's very hard for your opponent to deal with, once you have Relinquished with this trap down. It is recommended to play enough defense though, so you won't get OTK'd when you have to resolve this card, or that your Relinquished doesn't get run over when you have to use this trap during your turn to dodge an Order to Charge, etc. Riryoku Field can also out Order to Charge, Enemy Controller, etc, so it can also be considered.

Windstorm, Enemy Controller, Skull Liar etc.
Staples that can go in any deck can still be played here, you could also for example opt to play Mirror Wall to protect your Senju/Sonic Birds during your early game.

There are currently 2 main ways in which Relinquished is being used:

Harpies Relinquished
Uses 3 copies of the Harpie Lady variants in combination with Mai's Harpies Hunting Ground skill, to destroy up to 3 spell and trap cards during the duel, before summoning Relinquished. It's weak to spell removal, but other than that it can be very powerful: clear backrows early game, then finish your opponent late-game. If you have to choose between destroying fields or destroying backrow, I'd always opt to destroy backrow, unless if they field spell is an immediate threat such as 'Hunting Ground' or 'Umi', because you're not going to win the ATK game versus Dino, GK, etc, anyway, so there's way more value in just clearing their traps. I see way too many people hitting fields when I played Dino, and I was glad everytime they did. As for the monster line-up, you can go a few ways: you could play 3 normal Harpie Lady's to fuel Order to Charge, while adding in a few other normals into your deck (such as Dunames) as well. You can also play Harpie Lady 1, 2 and 3, which have pretty useful effects: especially Harpie Lady 3 is pretty good in any deck, in general: numbing their monster for 2 turns is great, and by the time they can attack again, you've already drawn into your Relinquished + protection set-up. 

Bandit Keith Relinquished
Uses the Switcheroo ability to add more consistency to the deck. Can use Sergeant Electro to deal with face-down spells and traps. Can potentially use Thunder Dragon which has synergy with Switcheroo (turns it into a Pot of Greed, basically), although this is optional. I personally think Switcheroo Relinquished is better than Harpies: it's not reliant on the field, it has more consistency, and you can play monsters with higher ATK, rather than having to play weak Harpie monsters. 

Sergeant Electro
This card is being used mainly in Switcheroo Relinquished, but Harpie Relinquished can support it as well. It's especially powerful when backed up with backrow or Sphere Kuriboh, since you can potentially nuke an entire backrow, and most cards aren't really chainable to this either, and if they are, you still force them to use them at suboptimal times. You clear the path so you can Relinquished them without your opponent having a counter to it, and it's hard to beat a Sergeant Electro + Relinquished field.

Possible techs:
Djinn Dissere of Rituals
Fulfilment of the Contract

These exist as well. I don't like the Djinn since there are just better ways to do what it does (Hunting Ground, Sergeant Electro, Sphere Kuriboh, Storm etc.), but I guess Fulfilment can be pretty good.

the4got10-1    17

I honestly feel Keith Relinquished is the best deck in this game by far. When people start main decking tech just to beat a deck, you know that deck is the best.

The thing is, I don't feel that these tech are enough. Possessed Dark Soul is a one-time use effect that also gets dodged by Interdimensional Matter Transporter, and costs a Normal Summon to boot.

Skull Lair appears to be better, but that is IMO because Relinquished is dropping S/T destruction at the moment. No, Storm + whatever builds are bad; they only make your easy matchups even more one-sided. If Skull Lair is really that bad, all that happens is that Twister will just come back in.

The build I would start off from probably looks like this:

3 Senju of the Thousand Hands

3 Sonic Bird

1 Sphere Kuriboh

3 Thunder Dragon

2 Relinquished

2 Black Illusion Ritual

2 Enemy Controller

1 Twister

2 Interdimensional Matter Transporter

1 Windstorm of Etaqua

EDIT: Just to have an idea how good I think this is, I'm starting a new account just to reset for Sonic Bird and race to 12-15k Gems by end March just in case Konami doesn't release a banlist to stop Relinquished.

Edited by the4got10-1
  • Upvote 4

+mark    3105

I agree that Switcheroo Relinquished is very good: Harpies are way easier to beat, and at higher levels during the KC Cup I faced the deck a lot. Switcheroo is general is just a very good ability, and Relinquished is hard to counter. 

I think the deck in which Possesed Dark Soul is the best, is in Relinquished itself, since you also counter their Possesed to take back your Relinquished again.

Not sure if I like Interdimensional Matter Transporter. It's very situational, leaves your field open for OTK's, although at the same time it's very hard to counter when it works. Being a counter to Possesed Dark Soul is probably the only reason I'd even consider it tbh, I may change my mind on this though. 

3 Twister is probably staple, since it deals with burn, the mirror, and lets you use Relinquished twice. 

As for other general counters to this deck: Order to Charge hard counters this deck better than E-Con or Twister ever can, because they will protect their Relinquished another turn with E-Con/Windstorm/Sphere Kuriboh, then strike again. A solid strategy can also be to leave their Relinquished on the field until you have 3 monsters or 2 monsters+Twister before attacking: this way you can play around E-Con/Sphere Kuriboh a bit, although you risk them drawing into their 2nd Relinquished or ITM/Twister, etc, so you have to make a calculated read depending on the situation. 

+mark    3105
9 hours ago, the4got10-1 said:

EDIT: Just to have an idea how good I think this is, I'm starting a new account just to reset for Sonic Bird and race to 12-15k Gems by end March just in case Konami doesn't release a banlist to stop Relinquished.

Don't. You'll lose Relinquished which you got from the Pegasus event, unless if you know for certain that it comes back to the game somehow. Spending all gems you can get while resetting the moment you hit Bird (or Sphere Kuriboh+Bird, fwiw) seems like the most viable strategy atm. 

Inti    129

If I can get my hands on 1-2x Senju my build would looks something like this.

Switcheroo Relinquished

Monsters:11

2x Relinquished  

2x Senju

2x Sonic Bird

2x Sphere Kuriboh

3x Thunder Dragon

Spells:7

2x Black Illusion Ritual

2x Enemy Controller 

3x Twister

Traps:3

1x Ririyoku Field 

1x Interdimensional Transporter 

1x Windstorm of Etaqua 

+mark    3105

Updated OP, let me know if I let anything out, I think I included all relevant cards but I may need to go more in-depth on technical play notes and match-ups etc, so I'll add in any interesting interactions people may note. 

+mark    3105

I gave it some thought and tested a bit on LackeyDGZ, and I came to the following conclusions:

I like Switcheroo, although something like 3 Harpie Lady 1/2 Birdface + Hunting Ground can shine as well.

I don't like Thunder Dragon: it's still a brick most of the time, I prefer 3 Sphere Kuriboh as tribute fodder, so I'd only consider it a 'budget option' if you have like 0-1 sphere kuriboh. I mean, it's good with Divine Wrath, but then for your deck to perform 'optimally' it now becomes a 4-card combo (thunder dragon + divine wrath + relinquished + spell), which seems inconsistent.

Playing some very high number such as 5+ between Windstorm, E-Con and Sphere Kuriboh is definitely correct, not only does it make your early game with the 1400-floaters extremely strong, it can protect Relinquished from double attacks or Twister/De-Spell + attack as well, which is huge. 

There's one catch, Thunder Dragon does make Skull Liar stronger, but I feel like you can play 1 Skull Liar 0 Thunder Dragon to combat the mirror still. It's not like you want to play 2 Skull Liar because of Thunder Dragon, because drawing doubles still sucks even with Switcheroo (you also want to switcheroo the thunder dragon), and you still need 2 more monsters in grave to destroy 1 monster. It's not like you're suddenly destroying 2+ monsters with Skull Liar consistently because of Thunder Dragon, so playing a 3-off just to make a 1-off slightly better seems bad. 

Thunder Dragon Switcheroo is definitely strong though, I just don't think this is the right deck for it, as Sphere Kuriboh makes tribute fodder essentially unneeded. 

Grimey    8228

I don't know if this has been discussed or if this is old news or something but I recently started playing Amazonness Chain Master, and duels in which I open with the card are absolute blowouts. I can take my opponent's Relinquished, Sphere Kuriboh, Manju, Sonic Bird etc. I also get to see their hand so I know everything about the duel. The card is pretty nuts imo. 

Silver    1010
On 3/25/2017 at 1:50 PM, mark said:

I gave it some thought and tested a bit on LackeyDGZ, and I came to the following conclusions:

I like Switcheroo, although something like 3 Harpie Lady 1/2 Birdface + Hunting Ground can shine as well.

I don't like Thunder Dragon: it's still a brick most of the time, I prefer 3 Sphere Kuriboh as tribute fodder, so I'd only consider it a 'budget option' if you have like 0-1 sphere kuriboh. I mean, it's good with Divine Wrath, but then for your deck to perform 'optimally' it now becomes a 4-card combo (thunder dragon + divine wrath + relinquished + spell), which seems inconsistent.

Playing some very high number such as 5+ between Windstorm, E-Con and Sphere Kuriboh is definitely correct, not only does it make your early game with the 1400-floaters extremely strong, it can protect Relinquished from double attacks or Twister/De-Spell + attack as well, which is huge. 

There's one catch, Thunder Dragon does make Skull Liar stronger, but I feel like you can play 1 Skull Liar 0 Thunder Dragon to combat the mirror still. It's not like you want to play 2 Skull Liar because of Thunder Dragon, because drawing doubles still sucks even with Switcheroo (you also want to switcheroo the thunder dragon), and you still need 2 more monsters in grave to destroy 1 monster. It's not like you're suddenly destroying 2+ monsters with Skull Liar consistently because of Thunder Dragon, so playing a 3-off just to make a 1-off slightly better seems bad. 

Thunder Dragon Switcheroo is definitely strong though, I just don't think this is the right deck for it, as Sphere Kuriboh makes tribute fodder essentially unneeded. 

Move this to duel links discussion

Grimey    8228

I agree with what you're saying but I also disagree under certain circumstances. I think everything you're saying is true if you own more than 1 copy of Sonic Bird and/or Senju. If you only own 1 copy of each card, Thunder Dragon is the way to go. You thin out 2 cards from your deck for free while being able to fish for ritual set-up. This is what I've been playing this season and I haven't dropped a game in quite a while. The deck seems very strange but I will explain all of my choices. 

3 Thunder Dragon

2 Relinquished

2 Sphere Kuriboh

2 Jerry Beans Man

1 Sonic Bird

1 Senju

1 Dimensional Alchemist

1 Amazonness Chain Master

2 Enemy Controller

2 Black Illusion Ritual

1 Twister

1 Mirror Wall/Windstorm

1 Skull Lair

2-3

I've been flip flopping between Mirror Wall and Windstorm, and also flip flopping between 21 cards and 20 but I've settled on 20 and I think I'm going to stick with Mirror Wall. Disclaimer; I don't own more copies of any of the cards in my deck except for Twister, Jerry Beans Man etc. I have 1 Senju, 1 Bird, 2 Kuriboh. 

Now I know there are going to be questions about 2 cards in my deck because (afaik) they're not standard at all. I'm going to start with Dimensional Alchemist which I actually consider to be one of the best cards in my deck. 

Dimensional Alchemist

- Banishes cards to dig faster for ritual set-up

- When it's destroyed, you can retrieve the Kuribohs you used to ritual summon your Relinquished, and/or any monster you banished to activate skull lair

- 1800 which crashes with Dunames and beats Jerry Beans Man (no other 1800 is generally played in relinquished, so you have to usually rely on your succ to get over that)

The first point is probably one of the most important. Speeding up your deck to get closer and closer to your power cards. Thunder Dragon already eliminates 2 cards from your deck, making your deck an 18 card deck. That helps a lot in seeing your power cards, which is why I also play only 1 Twister. 

Now on to Chain Master. Turn 1 set Chain Master is legitimately one of the most powerful plays in the game, especially against the mirror match. They summon Senju and swing into your set Chain Master (which funny enough has 1300 DEF). You just proceed to take their Relinquished and win the game because you have knowledge of their hand AND you get to steal one of their key cards. With 2 Kuriboh, 2 E-Con, 1 trap card, if you take more than 2500 damage you're probably in a losing position and probably gonna end up losing the duel anyways. Chain Master is also fantastic in the late game because you can steal the opponent's key monsters from their hand and use them as Relinquished fodder when you're behind on draws (and can't draw into a monster). 

Summoning any ritual monster in the current meta is a minimum 2 card investment, but most of the time a 3 card investment. The 2 tech cards that I play help mitigate that by making your 2-3 card investments either lower in cost and/or detrimental for your opponent (i.e; stealing their monsters). 

If you have 3 Senju, 3 Sonic Bird, 3 Kuriboh then my list is most likely very inferior, however, I don't struggle very much vs any list and/or deck with my list. I also can play a game and win without actually summoning Relinquished, which is something the pure builds can't do very well. Obviously when I get more Senju I'll probably replace some cards in the deck, but for now I'm really enjoying this list as it does everything I need it to do. Switcheroo is definitely what I'm thinking all ritual decks should play. 

Having some serious trouble with my Relinquished deck.  I can't get past Platinum 1, and it just gets shat on in there.  Usually by Harpies.

Deck: 21

Skill: Switcheroo

Monsters: 12

2x Relinquished

2x Senju of the Thousand Hands

2x Sonic Bird

2x Sphere Kuriboh

3x Thunder Dragon

1x Possessed Dark Soul

Spells: 6

2x Black Illusion Ritual

2x Enemy Controller

2x Twister

Traps; 3

2x Riryoku Field

1x Windstorm of Etaqua

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.  I know all the plays, I know when to be conservative and when to be reckless, but I just can't win.  I keep getting knocked down to Gold 5.  Anybody got any advice for me?

Edited by Starlight Warrior
  • Upvote 1

The decks that have been beating me senseless all run cards that I can counter with Riryoku field, like E-Con or Order to Charge.  What should I replace it with?  Also, shouldn't I keep Dark Soul around in case of mirror matches?

EDIT: Experimenting with replacements now, but I would still like to know your reasoning behind the drops, as well as what you think I should run as replacements.

Well then... I dropped Dark Soul and the Riryoku Fields and then replaced them with only 2 cards to keep me at 20.  I chose Jerry Beans Man and Skull Lair.

On my first run with this new strategy, it was a real struggle between me and my opponent to keep things on the field, but I wound up in a really bad position, barely hanging on.  Then I topped Jerry and that little guy saved my life!  I'm beginning to think that if players have their own Ace monsters in this game, Jerry Beans Man is mine.  I did everything I could to protect Jerry and clear my opponent's field.  After a while, my opponent stopped playing monsters, and eventually surrendered!  Got back into Platinum 1 with that.

The next two duels weren't as intense, but I still couldn't let my guard down.  The third one, on the other hand, felt kinda cheap.  Either my opponent's connection gave out, or they quit.  It was on Turn 3.  They had Sargent Electro and I had Senju, which I protected with Sphere Kuriboh.  I drew Sonic Bird, summoned it, got Black Illusion Ritual, then played it and used the Kuriboh in the Graveyard for the Tribute.  I absorbed Electro with Relinquished and then I got the "Waiting for response" window.  A few moments later, I was given the victory.

I had 4400 ATK total on the field, but they still had a Set card and three cards in hand.  If they quit, that means they didn't have anything to stop even one attack, but if they were dropped, then there's no telling.

Well, I guess it's fine.  After all, I finally made it to Platinum 2!

Grimey    8228

General guideline for deck building; don't add cards to your deck that intend to specifically counter 1 or 2 cards in the meta. This rule is usually pretty forgiving if the card you're adding to your deck can function outside of countering those 1 or 2 cards, but Riryoku Field doesn't do that. It's especially worse if those 1 or 2 cards you're trying to counter are hard to obtain (OtC in a rotated pack, E-Con locked behind Kaiba). 

Possessed Dark Soul isn't exactly awful but it's just very situational. I'd rather have a monster I can summon and guarantee what it's going to do every duel vs something that is only effective depending on what my opponent has in their deck. 

Edited by Grimey

+mark    3105
7 hours ago, Starlight Warrior said:

Having some serious trouble with my Relinquished deck.  I can't get past Platinum 1, and it just gets shat on in there.  Usually by Harpies.

Deck: 21

Skill: Switcheroo

Monsters: 12

2x Relinquished

2x Senju of the Thousand Hands

2x Sonic Bird

2x Sphere Kuriboh

3x Thunder Dragon

1x Possessed Dark Soul

Spells: 6

2x Black Illusion Ritual

2x Enemy Controller

2x Twister

Traps; 3

2x Riryoku Field

1x Windstorm of Etaqua

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.  I know all the plays, I know when to be conservative and when to be reckless, but I just can't win.  I keep getting knocked down to Gold 5.  Anybody got any advice for me?

You're playing too many bricks (Thunder Dragon, Possesed Dark Soul, Riryoku Field) and not enough monsters (4 monsters outside of relinquished, really?). Add 4 monsters (Sergeant Electro/Dunames/Dimensional Alchemist or whatever good monsters you have). Play the equip spell that revives Rituals (it's literally the same as Riryoku Field except 100x more versatile and a good topdeck late-game). So:

- 3 Thunder Dragon, - 1 Riryoku Field, -1 Possesed Dark Soul/Riryoku Field (1 situational card isn't bad, but 2 is too much). then +4 monsters +1 Equip and your deck should be fine.

Another way to look at it, is that odds are you'll draw out of Senju/Bird targets late-game. When that happens, you want to Switcheroo them back then Senju/Bird to search them again. Can't do that with Thunder Dragon. Also the 4 monsters added will provide tribute fodder, so you won't need the Thunder Dragon tribute fodder anymore either.

+mark    3105

So I think the #1 deckbuilding mistake people make with Relinquished is thinking orange cards are monsters. Possesed, Sphere and Thunder don't count for monsters. A monsters is something you can always summon. Basically Bird/Senju/any beaters, and after a few turns, Relinquished itself as well. Most decks play 10 monsters so why shouldn't Relinquished as well? When you realize this you'll also realize why situational cards and Thunder Dragon suck. They're not monsters, nor spell/traps either, they're nothing, and lead to bricking. If 60%+ of the meta plays Possesed/Relinquished, play Possesed to counter it. You don't need to counter Order to Charge because it's a +1 for you if they resolve it (your relinquished is free because Bird/Senju, their 2 cards however, are not). You're losing because they run you out of monsters. Relinquished shouldn't be the focus of the deck, the focus should be beating down your opponent with monsnters and floaters (making Bird/Senju a threat because of E-Con/Sphere Kuriboh), then late-game when you've ran them out of resources you go for the essentially "free" Relinquished by then that you've probably gotten from Senju/Bird/Sphere Kuriboh (and if you harddraw Relinquished or the spell, you've probably redrawn them with Switcheroo as you want to search them with Bird/Senju instead). 

+mark    3105

Hell, Order to Charge can even be +2 or +3 for you (+2 if the Relinquished was free, +3 if they topdeck it after you already took 1 monster from them)

27 minutes ago, Grimey said:

General guideline for deck building; don't add cards to your deck that intend to specifically counter 1 or 2 cards in the meta. This rule is usually pretty forgiving if the card you're adding to your deck can function outside of countering those 1 or 2 cards, but Riryoku Field doesn't do that. It's especially worse if those 1 or 2 cards you're trying to counter are hard to obtain (OtC in a rotated pack, E-Con locked behind Kaiba). 

Possessed Dark Soul isn't exactly awful but it's just very situational. I'd rather have a monster I can summon and guarantee what it's going to do every duel vs something that is only effective depending on what my opponent has in their deck. 

Thanks for that.  It's pretty solid reasoning, especially with the environment in which I now find myself.  Made it to Platinum 3, but I'm struggling just to stay in.  The changes I listed above worked wonders and it wasn't terribly difficult ranking up, but Platinum 3 is a REALLY tough fight now.

37 minutes ago, mark said:

You're playing too many bricks (Thunder Dragon, Possesed Dark Soul, Riryoku Field) and not enough monsters (4 monsters outside of relinquished, really?). Add 4 monsters (Sergeant Electro/Dunames/Dimensional Alchemist or whatever good monsters you have). Play the equip spell that revives Rituals (it's literally the same as Riryoku Field except 100x more versatile and a good topdeck late-game). So:

- 3 Thunder Dragon, - 1 Riryoku Field, -1 Possesed Dark Soul/Riryoku Field (1 situational card isn't bad, but 2 is too much). then +4 monsters +1 Equip and your deck should be fine.

Another way to look at it, is that odds are you'll draw out of Senju/Bird targets late-game. When that happens, you want to Switcheroo them back then Senju/Bird to search them again. Can't do that with Thunder Dragon. Also the 4 monsters added will provide tribute fodder, so you won't need the Thunder Dragon tribute fodder anymore either.

You make some good points here, and back up a lot of what you say with your follow-up post.  And Thunder Dragon's been coming back to bite me recently.  Literally just had three duels in a row where I had 2 in hand on my first turn.  The first two were me going first, and the third had me going 2nd but my 5th card was a second Thunder Dragon.  Really bad luck there.

However, I've had a lot of good experiences with Thunder Dragon as well.  Not only does it allow me to thin my deck by 3 cards if I open or draw into exactly 1 copy, but I've found that Tribute Summoning it has proven useful on a number of occasions.  It isn't much of a beater, I know, but when my opponent is on defense (whether starting, like Téa mill, or I put them there myself), it helps to have just a few extra Attack Points.  I can also use that 1600 ATK as defense against decks that can't get over it without effects.  Even if it's not as useful as other monsters, like Jerry Beans Man, I think that it qualifies as a monster.  Most cases, it's just a deck thinner and even ritual fodder itself if I don't have a Kuriboh in the Graveyard.

If I were to use numbers to define each card as a monster by the standards you outlined, I'd say that it's a 0.5 Monster.  Not quite at full monster capacity, but it still has its uses, even if I need it to be a monster card.

I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative.  I'm just trying to explain why I disagree with your assessment of Thunder Dragon.  What do you think of my own assessment?

In any case, I HAVE been playing with a modified deck list.  I removed Possessed and the 2x Riryoku field, and threw in 1x Jerry and 1x Skull Lair, giving me an even 20 cards.  I'll edit that post to reflect this.

Oh, and a heads-up, I'm currently lacking Dunames, Electro and Alchemist.  Only have 168 gems at the moment, so can't try for any of them right now.  Here's a list of my strongest low-levels that I think could be at least a little useful, as well as how many copies I own.  I've included why each one is good, but also the downsides for a few of them.  What are your thoughts?

1x Gaia Soul, the Combustible Collective (2000 ATK, piercing, but blows up in the End Phase)

1x Susa Soldier (2000 ATK, Spirit Monster, and halves battle damage it inflicts)

3x Jerry Beans Man (1750 ATK, Lvl.3)

1x Asura Priest (Attack all monsters once each, Spirit)

1x Diskblade Rider (Bazoo's distant cousin for Normal Traps)

1x Neo the Magic Swordsman (Spellcaster-Type)

3x Sonic Duck (Winged Beast, WIND, Lvl.3, 1700)

1x Twin-Barrel Dragon (1700, 25% to destroy a card on summon)

1x Warrior Dai Grepher (1700 ATK, 1600 DEF)

2x Amazoness Chain Master (When destroyed by battle, pay 1500 to steal a monster from opp's hand)

+mark    3105

No in order to tribute summon Thunder Dragon you have to tribute a monster first so it's never a monster. Electro/Dunames have more ATK and worst case scenario can be used for tribute fodder as well (ideally you'd use sphere kuriboh, or even senju/bird). Try the build out first and you'll see where I'm coming from. I think any monsters are good even if it's bad ones like 1700 ATK's, with the Sphere Kuriboh/E-Con it shouldn't matter too much and you could play 1 Mirror Wall (works wonders with Senju/Bird) to back them up. 

Jerry Beans, Twin Barrel are prob the best. Sonic Duck has an advantage vs the Harpies matchup if you struggle with that. Susa may be decent.

Comes down to the math, then, huh?  Technically a -1 if you're using your own monster to summon Thunder Dragon.  I see now.

But, if I may, though, I have a new example I'd like to point out.  I just dueled a Parasite Burn deck- still in Platinum 3, so that deck choice puzzles me a bit- and I used E-Con in combination with Thunder Dragon to get rid of my opponent's Gyaku-Gire Panda.  Tributed a Senju to take the Panda, then fed the Panda to Thunder Dragon.  Wound up winning that duel three turns later, mostly because of that.  It forced them to use up their defensive cards just to block the 1600 damage.  (I had hit them earlier with a Senju before they could play a monster, so they were at 2600 LP.)

I was also able to pull off the Switcheroo combo to it's full potential.

Does this affect your opinion in any way?  If no, why not?  Really curious to know.  I'm learning a lot from you guys right now, and I'm enjoying it.

+mark    3105

playing tribute monsters is definitely good vs weevil burn. my only response is that probably less than 1 in 20 decks atm is that. if you're facing a shitload of stall the best approach is probably to just twister them etc. this deck has a harder time against regular stall (balloons etc) than weevil stall (you can switcheroo if you see parasite is on top of your deck, so they have to harddraw whistle and some don't even play it).

Fun thing I learned about Switcheroo and Parasite Paracide: For whatever reason, drawing it by Switcheroo doesn't trigger it's second effect.  It just sits in your hand.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's intentional.

Well, I'll give everything you said a lot of thought, mark.  I'll probably pay a visit to the probability calculator again, see what it says about opening 2x Thunder Dragon.

Fun thing I learned about Switcheroo and Parasite Paracide: For whatever reason, drawing it by Switcheroo doesn't trigger it's second effect.  It just sits in your hand.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's intentional.

Well, I'll give everything you said a lot of thought, mark.  I'll probably pay a visit to the probability calculator again, see what it says about opening 2x Thunder Dragon.

+mark    3105

my problem with thunder dragon is it does nothing if you draw 1. it's literally a brick. it's not a monster and it's not an S/T and it uses up your switcheroo switches for no reason (rather than fixing your actual brick hands). not to mention if you open 0 thunder dragon, you can't savely use switcheroo at all "just in case you topdeck thunder dragon and now you're fucking"