Aaron

Gaming laptops..

Aaron    2002

When my MBP dies (or if it ever does), I'm considering buying a windows machine because the new macbook pros look awful (no best in-class keyboard, no hdmi, no usb a ports, no mag safe adaptor, no gaming capabilities) and then just buying the cheapest iMac I can afford [as  I feel they are excellent value given u get a beautiful screen included] if I miss the apple ecosystem. 

Just keeping an eye on the options and I've seen:

1. Surfacebook Pro 2 - honestly this thing looks phenomenal but a bit pricey. GTX 1060 w/great battery life, phenomenal build quality, a detachable screen for a 3-5 hour tablet, works with an apple pencil so its a digital sketchpad... honestly the fact this exists and I bought an ipad pro really pisses me off

2. Alienware 13''' OLED - 13 inch OLED screen with a 1060 in 13'' form factor

Any thoughts for people in the market? 

BuildTheWalia    197
2 hours ago, Aaron said:

When my MBP dies (or if it ever does), I'm considering buying a windows machine because the new macbook pros look awful (no best in-class keyboard, no hdmi, no usb a ports, no mag safe adaptor, no gaming capabilities) and then just buying the cheapest iMac I can afford [as  I feel they are excellent value given u get a beautiful screen included] if I miss the apple ecosystem. 

Just keeping an eye on the options and I've seen:

1. Surfacebook Pro 2 - honestly this thing looks phenomenal but a bit pricey. GTX 1060 w/great battery life, phenomenal build quality, a detachable screen for a 3-5 hour tablet, works with an apple pencil so its a digital sketchpad... honestly the fact this exists and I bought an ipad pro really pisses me off

Any thoughts for people in the market? 

IF you can afford it, I've heard the Surface Book 2 is a great find for people who need to both game and need a TABLET. Don't drop $2500 on a gaming laptop unless you'll actually be using the tablet functionality that it comes with. It can definitely play the latest games but it'll set you back a lot of $$$, so you need to get the best value out of it that you can.

Don't buy Alienware, if you want a gaming laptop ASUS or MSI are your best areas to look.

Regardless of your choice, go with a 15-inch screen. It's the best screen size for a gaming laptop that's also portable.

+Urthor    10200

Surface Book is an excellent laptop for not gaming but it isn't close to great for gaming.  Its portable GTX 1060 isn't the same as the desktop variant at all, closer to 1050 status, a ridiculously large compromise on the GPU compared to where you want to be, and the CPU performance is not great but alright for mobile.  I'd reall

As always the best option for gaming is to buy a great laptop for general use and get a big fuck off desktop with one of the new 2080 GPUs that are releasing in June.  Aka look into the screen type/resolution/CPU/SSD, the critical factors for non gaming use, and happily buy a Surface type machine if you want to, and don't mobile game unless you are forced to.  

Aaron    2002
8 hours ago, Urthor said:

Surface Book is an excellent laptop for not gaming but it isn't close to great for gaming.  Its portable GTX 1060 isn't the same as the desktop variant at all, closer to 1050 status, a ridiculously large compromise on the GPU compared to where you want to be, and the CPU performance is not great but alright for mobile.  I'd reall

As always the best option for gaming is to buy a great laptop for general use and get a big fuck off desktop with one of the new 2080 GPUs that are releasing in June.  Aka look into the screen type/resolution/CPU/SSD, the critical factors for non gaming use, and happily buy a Surface type machine if you want to, and don't mobile game unless you are forced to.  

im going to do this anyway.

im thinking strictly laptop purchase-wise tho as the switch has opened my eyes to how much i portably game. I just struggle to find appropriately priced machines for what I want (720p/1080p/30-60fps on every game). If 720p... obv a smaller screen to increase ppi. 

mobile gaming for anyone who is on the go or has a job is the way forward. 

my travel time per day is 1hr, i usually get down time in work 1-2h... thats like 3 hours minimum of gaming time which my desktop can't help me with. Then add in gym sessions, travelling, dating, and I can  sometimes go weeks without seeing my desktop and 5.1 home theatre surround system. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2002

but you are also very right in that the price is huge... £2500 when i have a gaming rig, macbook pro, ipad pro... is hard/impossible to justify. 

Im still searching for a thin portable laptop which can offer me a good gaming experience at a decent price but I cant find bench marks etc. for anything like that. 

Edited by Aaron

+Urthor    10200

All I can say is that all the nerds who I know who own a surface are absolutely ecstatic about the entire product range and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  The thing is most of those nerds have a) graduated college and are b) working in white collar CBD nerd jobs and putting away an unholy amount of money.  

If you want a tablet product it's really the best you can buy as long as you don't care about budget, they are fabulous hybrid tablet products without a doubt.

I mean I come from the school of thought that says the best way to buy a laptop is to trawl the internet until you get a really good GTX 1080/1070 laptop with a great screen for a good price, I endorse buying second hand laptops off craigslist equivalents.  But I can respect compromising on that particular aspect because the surface is an absolutely fabulous product.  I'd also consider holding off your purchase again, because this is a launch year for the next generation of GPUs so that will dramatically change the GPU field if you're willing to put your purchase on hold for 9 months.

The way I check laptop benchmarks is threefold.  #1 I check the screen, is it IPS, what is the resolution.  Fun fact, Alienware does in fact do an OLED laptop screen in one 13 inch product line but that's super obscure.  #2 I check the SSD.  #3 you check the GPU, if it's not a 1070 minimum ignore.  #4 check the ram.  #5 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php you check the CPU benchmark against this ever reliable site, which is a good proxy for general use, and you check the frequency of the CPU and understand that a gaming laptop is going to be severely limited in all CPU bound gaming scenarios and you have to understand what your bottleneck is with your gaming.  

Aaron    2002
Posted (edited)

I think what holds me off buying the Surface is the spakers... haven't heard them but I imagine they suck as they are designed for tablet mode. 

Obviously I'll use headphones most times in public... but ya its pricey for what u get. The money isn't a huge issue.. but I'd rather buy something which is better value given I have my switch. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34494

every person ive seen with a surface has bitched about something going wrong (sample size of around ten) 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34494

I have this exact laptop

the touchpad buttons feel kind of cheap, the keyboard feels great

the bezel at the back is kinda weird, but you get used to it

very good gaming performance, i hook it up to my tv and have no issues at all but i mean lol1080p

I get good battery life on the go but haven't gamed on the go yet so...

it's heavy 

Nate1080    1224

As an artist, tech enthusiast and someone who currently owns and works with a surface pro: If you don’t draw/use certain creative programs often, you’re paying a lot of money for a mid-range spec’d Windows machine.

The built in wacom digitizer is literally the only thing that makes the Surface an option imo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

+rei+    34494

I played Neir Automata for 1 hour 20 minutes on battery and had 7% left 

Aaron    2002
On 3/8/2018 at 5:42 PM, rei said:

I played Neir Automata for 1 hour 20 minutes on battery and had 7% left 

argh that doesnt sound great.. or is it for a gaming laptop? 

+rei+    34494

idk i dont use gaming laptops outside my own - but i mean that's 100% full bore load the entire time, other games are programmed better; that said an hour and a half feels like a reasonable time frame to get some decent commute gaming in; like in your scenario of 1 h to work - plug it in when you get to work it charges quick; and you're good for your ride home again 

Aaron    2002

i think i'd rather buy games for my switch with that 3-4h battery life at present.

hope shit changes and a laptop becomes available.

i dont think im asking for a lot. 1080p 60fps for games released <2016 would be fine for me. 

With new graphics card due for release hopefully in the next 6 months, i might continue to hold out. the 1070 maxQ revisions do look good though. 

My macbook pro (around 4-5 years old now) is still holding out tremendously well. 

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10200

Computex and a new NVIDIA GPU generation is literally weeks away the idea you wouldn't wait for them to launch the new laptops in 3 months is kind of ridiculous.  

• Upvote 2

+rei+    34494

tru

Aaron    2002
On 29/05/2018 at 2:25 PM, Urthor said:

Computex and a new NVIDIA GPU generation is literally weeks away the idea you wouldn't wait for them to launch the new laptops in 3 months is kind of ridiculous.  

Very good point. 

Thats kind of been my logic on holding back tbh and its also the reason why I've been playing on a GTX 670 when I really was tempted to buy a 1080ti at christmas. 

I think I REALLY do need a gaming laptop ontop of a desktop GPU though. The ammount of car journies, commuting, hotel stays and time I get in work makes a gaming laptop a really obvious and smart choice. Also I think some PC games are kind of better played on a laptop or at a desk rather than a couch which is where my gaming desktop is (e.g. divinity original sin).

PC gaming in general is just so hard to pick from. 

Do I buy an ultrawide monitor 21:9 and play at a desk with a lovely keyboard and mouse using a headset? Which gives awesome points to productivity. 

Or do I play on a 65'' 4k HDR FALD TV which amazing black levels, from 2-3 metres away and a 2-3k audio setup with a subwoofer (BK monolith XL) which can literally make the room shake. 

A gaming laptop will probably satisfy my itch for desk-gaming and productivity but portability remains absolutely key.

I do kind of wish windows laptops had the same build quality as the old macbooks. My macbook pro 2011 and 2014 are still going VERY strong. Amazing I/O, beautiful screens, good sound, still has a good battery life, AWESOME keyboard, best trackpad I've ever used. Its sad I can't even get as similar machine from apple. I used one of the new macbooks keyboards and it was disgusting. 

+Urthor    10200
On 02/06/2018 at 8:10 PM, Aaron said:

Do I buy an ultrawide monitor 21:9 and play at a desk with a lovely keyboard and mouse using a headset? Which gives awesome points to productivity. 

Or do I play on a 65'' 4k HDR FALD TV which amazing black levels, from 2-3 metres away and a 2-3k audio setup with a subwoofer (BK monolith XL) which can literally make the room shake. 

You buy a long HDMI cable and have both.  Just plug in a 16:9 monitor at a desk, a keyboard, and then set up your HDMI cables such that you can switch from couch to keyboard using your tower.  There's no reason you need two different computers for those. 

Aaron    2002
6 hours ago, Urthor said:

6 hours ago, Urthor said:

You buy a long HDMI cable and have both.  Just plug in a 16:9 monitor at a desk, a keyboard, and then set up your HDMI cables such that you can switch from couch to keyboard using your tower.  There's no reason you need two different computers for those. 

I live in a house.... the long HDMI would have to  be VERY VERY VERY long ..! 

+Urthor    10200

Alternative option, unplug your tower and carry it upstairs, they are not that heavy. 

Aaron    2002
Posted (edited)

lol fuck that dude! 2-3x a day? and my cinema room's setup is actually way too intricate with that. The tower is situated within the media cabinet. 

I think my best option is just wait for Nvidia refresh. Pickup a new card after that. Since I'm driving a 4k TV, I'll probably just get an 1180 or whatever they call it. MIGHT build a new rig because I do a lot of video editing + after effects and the 4670k is a piece of shit for that.

If I do that, then I might try and grab a cheap 1080/1070/1080ti if they are going for decent prices, put that with the 4670k and make that my upstairs PC for desk-gaming and productivity... but even then the 4670k is just a piece of shit for the productivity stuff. 

Gaming laptop wise, you are 100% right in waiting for the Nvidia refresh. If alienware decide to sort out their terrible battery lifes, I will definitely jump on their next OLED iteration with an 11xx graphics card. Simply because of the dell pro support I think I can bargain to get for free from them. 

[I still do not trust windows laptops... I've had 2 macbook pros, one from 2010/11, one from 2014... still running as good as when I bought them except for declining battery lifes]

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34494

No one's gonna be able to sort out the battery life of what a high end GPU draws. 

+Urthor    10200

You can't game without your laptop plugged into a powerpoint pretty much.

+rei+    34494

honestly getting an hour and a half out of a notoriously poorly optimized game seems p good to me