Abe Thalos

The Shadow of the Kings' - a YGO Manifesto

Abe Thalos    518
Posted (edited)

Dedication:

In memory of Korey McDuffie, a true emotional genius and dear friend to many.

Forward:

This post's author has been in the shadow in some of the greatest players in the history of the game and, as a gift, this outline of the knowledge and wisdom that that author has gathered has been prepared for the sake of the game's community:

The author hopes that this information finds you well and wishes you the best.

Outline:

I. Definitions
 A. 'consistency' - n. [representing...] "the  measure of the rate at which a deck is able to complete its function"
  i. does not necessarily mean less cards is better
  ii. may vary by event rather than deck
 B. 'ceiling' - n. [representing...] "the maximum of the amount of power"
  i. each deck has a ceiling
  ii. each event's 'format' has a ceiling
 C. 'testing' - v. [which represents the...] "finding of the best deck to accomplish a player or team's goal at an event by practicing against decks that player/team expects player/team expects a reasonable number of matchups to be." ; "the preparation for an event."
  i. some people go to events that they have not tested for
   a. they get a peak at the next event by seeing games and hearing discussion
  ii. tools for testing (WARNING: do not commit the actions mentioned below to muscular memory. Doing so may result in accidental breaking of the rules at actual events)
   a. one tool requires playing with hands shown in order to be certain that correct plays are made
    aa. when this is done, there should be open and honest communication between the two players
   b. another tool involves choosing cards to start with or to be drawn 
 D. 'format' - n. [representing...] "the sum of the decks that are statistically significant to impact the decisions of players"
  i. each event has its own format
   a. some people who frequent events make decisions based on those previous
   b. sometimes a deck that is unknown to many people does well and influences future formats
   c. sometimes a deck that is expected to do well by many fails, influencing future formats
 E. 'starter'- as mentioned in "Road of the King," by Patrick Hoban
  i. does not always server the same function in every deck or every event
  ii. dependent on the 'ceiling' of the format and that of the deck
  iii. usually provides the deck with the ability to consistently reach an intended height of power
 F. 'superior extender' cards - as mentioned in "Road of the King," by Patrick Hoban
  i. does not always server the same function in every deck or every event
  ii. dependent on the 'ceiling' of the format and that of the deck
  iii. usually required to maximize in order to reach the 'ceiling'
   a. may not be necessary to reach the ceiling
    aa. intentionally not reaching the ceiling may provide an advantage in the future
 G. 'engine requirement cards' as mentioned in "Road of the King," by Patrick Hoban {these cards are also referred to as "brick" cards}
  i. are usually necessary for the function of other cards
  ii. playing more 'support cards' may cause inconsistency
  iii. siding additional copies is an option
 H. 'draw cards' - as mentioned in "Road of the King," by Patrick Hoban {these cards are also referred to as "water" or "water hose" cards.}
  i. does not necessarily serve the function of lowering the number of cards in one's deck
   a. sometimes playing a number greater than the minimum in addition to draw cards is correct
   b. sometimes playing the minimum number of cards with no draw cards is correct
   c. sometimes playing a number greater than the minimum with no draw cards is correct
   d. sometimes playing the minimum number of cards with draw cards is correct.
  ii. the correct number of draw cards may be impacted by the ceiling of a deck or format
  iii. some draw cards are usually bad
   a. examples: ODoP, PoDu
  iv. some draw cards are almost always 'broken'
   ai. examples: USG, PoDe, PoG, GC
 I. 'banned cards' - "cards that a player chooses not to play in an event for the reason that they are too 'broken.'"
  i. players should be aware of the rules and follow them at all times, but that is not what I am talking about.
  ii. the personal 'banned cards' list is what separates the great players from the rest
  iii. players may choose not to play cards regardless 
J. 'broken' - [adj. used to describe...] "something which causes super-cession of an understanding held previously"
  i. things and concepts may be described by this adjective
  ii. in the context of game theory, something if broken if it provides a player with an unfair advantage

II. Assumptions
 A. The player's deck is 'consistent' enough to play the majority of hands drawn
  i. There is an ideal ratio of 'starter,' 'superior extender,' and 'additional extender,' cards to the number of 'engine requirement' cards.
  ii. There is an ideal number of cards to play
   a. This number is variable
    aa. This number fluctuates with the 'ceiling'
   b. The number of cards used to determine consistency may require the use of a special calculator found on this site.
    bb. When determining the number of cards in a deck, 'draw cards' may be considered as -Xs rather than +Xs
 B. The player is not cheating during events
  i. the player should not cheat
   a. 'testing' may require doing things that violate regular rules, but it is important to not commit these actions to muscular memory.

I. Events
 A. Choose whether to top or to win before registration, and prepare accordingly
  i. There is always a best deck to win the event and it should always win the event
   a. it is not always ideal to win every event
    aa. if the player intends to win a later event, lower the ceiling or consistency of that player's deck, or avoid 'banned' cards
     aaa. in this case, the winning player's goal should be to win with an unideal deck
   b. the best deck to win the event should be the most consistently powerful deck
    ba. the best deck to win the event is not necessarily either the most powerful or the most consistent deck
    bb. the best deck to win the event may sacrifice this property for the sake of a better matchup in top-cut
   c. the best deck to win the event is sometimes the one with the best matchup in top-cut
    ca. the best deck to win the event may thereby not be likely to top the event
     caa. if a player intends to win the event, that player should not always expect to top the event
  ii. There is always a best deck to top the event
   a. the best deck to top the event is not likely to win in top-cut
    aa. the player who chooses this deck should never expect to win the event
   b. The best deck to top the event is often the one that has the best win to loss ratio in matches over the field
     bb. The player choosing this deck can use results from other events leading up to events and that player's knowledge of the card pool to find this deck
   iv. The best deck to top the event will likely have the greatest technical advantage over the field

II. Deck Profiles
 A. The player in the deck profile should give out information at that player's discretion
  i. This use of discretion should not be mistaken as a misuse of that player's influence
  ii. The player who intentionally wins the event has options
   a. That player may choose not to deck profile
   b. That player may choose to deck profile 
    aa. The intentional winner who does deck profile may choose to act ignorant without ommision
     aaa. This player should act completely unknowing about the deck and quickly go through the cards
     aab. This player should not give information about cards
     aac. If asked open ended questions, this player should give shoutouts rather than information about the deck
    ab. The intentional winner who does deck profile may choose to act ignorant with omission
     aba. This player should act completely unknowing about the deck and quickly go through the cards
     abb. This player should not give information about cards
     abc. If asked open ended questions, this player should give shoutouts rather than information about the deck
     abd. This player would omit cards from the deck profile
     abe. This player would likely only do this at an event where lists are not released
      abea. Otherwise, other great players would be able to deduce the omission and potentially take advantage
    ac. The intentional winner who does deck profile may choose to share knowledge
     aca. This player may disclose reasoning with intention of not appearing to be falsely ignorant of choices
      acaa. This may prevent giving advantage to skilled players
      acab. This may cause giving advantage to less skilled players
    ad. The intentional winner who does deck profile may choose to share knowledge with omission
      acaa. This may prevent giving advantage to skilled players and may actually provide them with misinformation that leads to an advantage
      acab. This may cause a small giving advantage to less skilled players and may actually provide them with a disadvantage and thereby the intentional winner with an advantage
  ii. The player who intends to top and accidentally wins should deck profile
   a. That player may choose to omit advantages in the mirror
    aa. This may lead to advantages and/or disadvantages as discussed above
   b. That player may omit any advantage against the best deck
    ba. This may lead to advantages and/or disadvantages as discussed above
  iii. The player who tops with the intention to win may choose to or choose not to deck profile and with or without omition with similar repercussions to those listed above
  iv. The player who tops intentionally may choose to or choose not to deck profile and with or without omition with similar repercussions to those listed above

Solemnly, 
Abe Thalos

P.S. - The player should not ever troll for the sake of trolling itself
P.S.S. - The player may choose to troll of the sake of misuse of influence over the format, though this should be avoided

Edited by Abe Thalos
changed "good" to "'broken'"
  • Downvote 1
  • Pride 1

+mmf    23488

LOL

FVFRYTHFNG    346

"Forward" hmm...

P.S. - "Starter Card" still doesn't mean anything

P.P.S. - You're fucking retarded

• Pride 2

»Digbick    7249

Korey popped an addy front of brady while dueling him to look kool. Then proceed to cheat with ether

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

+Mascis    4553

I didn’t read most of this but i like how you endend with “solemnly”

very on brand for the game of yugioh 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I. 'banned cards' - "cards that a player chooses not to play in an event for the reason that they are too 'broken.'"
  i. players should be aware of the rules and follow them at all times, but that is not what I am talking about.
  ii. the personal 'banned cards' list is what separates the great players from the rest
  iii. players may choose not to play cards regardless 

isnt this just scrub mentality lol why handicap yourself

• Upvote 3

»Pharaoh Atem    15768

I for one am a fan of building decklists for the explicit purpose of showing everyone "the game becomes less fun when X card is involved. consider doing something about it."

that sort of "choosing not to play a card because one has already decided the card shouldn't ever be involved" attitude is counterproductive

if you believe a card is deleterious to a rich and enjoyable gameplay experience, play that card in order to prove that your belief comports with fact.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

+mmf    23488

NOTICE:

None of the information provided on this site by Abe should be considered to be personal, entrepreneurial, business, or otherwise advice, nor should it be considered to necessarily be factual; however, Abe has the most sincere intentions in providing this material. 
The opinions expressed on this site by Abe are his opinions and may have thereby been influenced by others, their experiences, his own experience, and influences otherwise still.
Abe has taken great care to avoid the misuse of copyrighted material and this statement provides notice that no legal action may be taken against him without prior notice to cease and/or desist.
Abe neither any entity, person, nor thing otherwise with which he is associated takes or shares in any way shape or form any responsibility for the actions nor for the repercussions of those actions of the reader(s) as those actions are theirs and theirs alone.

Abe is a former competitive card gamer and now has a somewhat successful career in another (unrelated) field in addition to many other responsibilities and duties that are unrelated to gaming. As such, any attempts to to contact Abe shall be responded to at his discretion.
Abe welcomes contact with regards to interests outside of the realm of competitive card gaming and would prefer not to be contacted with regards to gaming whatsoever.
However, such contact will still be welcomed and Abe will do his best to remain a fan of the contactee in that case. 
This is a legally binding notice under any governmental organization or agency wherein the laws of that government or agency allows for such.
By viewing this page you are subject to the legally binding notices stated here-in. 
Abe any profit in any way shape or form for the production of this post unless reproduction of this post is executed; in such a case, any profits incurred and hereby forfeited to the owner(s) of the forum on which this post is originally published (DuelistGroundz.com.)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blackshoed said:

This is a unigue board 

Indeed it is man. Indeed it is