Sign in to follow this  
NB96

Barclays Premier League 2018/19

Aaron    2030
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Faint said:

yeah absolutely brutal game ahead - i'm genuinely quite worried

however - if we win then i struggle to see how they spring back considering the remaining fixtures

in midfield the selection is crucial as well - henderson or fabinho? shaqiri or milner? for me the only guaranteed starter should be wijnaldum in our midfield

I'm a bit worried about Fabinho and Robertson tbh. They were very sloppy in the last match. Like pointlessly giving the ball away. I get it, we're smashing it and when you're smashing it, you can make a few mistakes but you can't do that against City with Aguero there. 

I think even if we win, we can still fuck it up quite easily. We still have to face a resurgent Manchester United who look like they'll take some points off of us now. City made up like 8 points in 6 games or some shit to win a title once didn't they? I see no reason to get cocky now. 

It sounds bad but I'd be tempted to bench Shaq despite it being absolutely awesome. This is the type of match where Fabinho needs to show us what hes really made of. Hes shown hints of being a collossus in the last few weeks. 

Worst case scenario today is City blast us. If they do, I'll be generally worried. Losing by a goal is very bad but if they beat us by 3-4 goals I can see our defence losing the current aura of invincibility we have. 

At the same time, we are the anti-City. We usually do quite well against them. 

I'm scared of Sterling & Aguero & De bruyne tho 

Edited by Aaron

Faint    5859
59 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I'm a bit worried about Fabinho and Robertson tbh. They were very sloppy in the last match. Like pointlessly giving the ball away. I get it, we're smashing it and when you're smashing it, you can make a few mistakes but you can't do that against City with Aguero there. 

I think even if we win, we can still fuck it up quite easily. We still have to face a resurgent Manchester United who look like they'll take some points off of us now. City made up like 8 points in 6 games or some shit to win a title once didn't they? I see no reason to get cocky now. 

It sounds bad but I'd be tempted to bench Shaq despite it being absolutely awesome. This is the type of match where Fabinho needs to show us what hes really made of. Hes shown hints of being a collossus in the last few weeks. 

Worst case scenario today is City blast us. If they do, I'll be generally worried. Losing by a goal is very bad but if they beat us by 3-4 goals I can see our defence losing the current aura of invincibility we have. 

At the same time, we are the anti-City. We usually do quite well against them. 

I'm scared of Sterling & Aguero & De bruyne tho 

i disagree about robertsonm - if anything id be more worried about trent (though he was immense vs sane last season whenever they were 1v1). robertson is the best left back in the league and id struggle to name many in the world that are better at the moment.

fabinho i agree though-  but when he plays he is so often a creative force from deep and he gives us height vs teams which makes us a lot more formidable from corners. id love to see our corner goal % when he plays vs when henderson plays. id probably bench shaq for this as well but have him as an option off the bench - bring him on at 70 mins if its a draw and then he can help us go for the win (hes always involved in everything when he comes from the bench)

it will be a tight game, my biggest fear is having de bruyne running at our midfield and taking 2-3 out of the game, exposing lovren at the back... 

Aaron    2030
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Faint said:

i disagree about robertsonm - if anything id be more worried about trent (though he was immense vs sane last season whenever they were 1v1). robertson is the best left back in the league and id struggle to name many in the world that are better at the moment.

fabinho i agree though-  but when he plays he is so often a creative force from deep and he gives us height vs teams which makes us a lot more formidable from corners. id love to see our corner goal % when he plays vs when henderson plays. id probably bench shaq for this as well but have him as an option off the bench - bring him on at 70 mins if its a draw and then he can help us go for the win (hes always involved in everything when he comes from the bench)

it will be a tight game, my biggest fear is having de bruyne running at our midfield and taking 2-3 out of the game, exposing lovren at the back... 

I've said it for a LONG time but Robertson is awesome.. 

Did you see Robertson in the last match? Plenty sloppy, gave away the ball like 2-3 times in compromising positions but luckily we didn't get punished. Yes Robertson is one of the best fullbacks in the league but the cracks are being papered over because we keep winning and not being punished. Do you watch the games for the full 90 minutes?  Its quite obvious. Like this is literally a general observation that he's slowly giving away the ball in compromising positions.. not something speculative. Hopefully its just complacency cos we're fucking nuts atm.  Luckily Robertson seems to raise his game in the big matches so hopefully its a non-issue. 

Yeah Fabinho is great, he's just not going to get the luxury he'd had at poorer teams of dominating play and having time to dictate it from deep because its Manchester City we're playing. We'll hopefully see much more of his ball winning ability and interceptions today (which I also love). I think to dominate and dictate play against a team like this City side, your name would have to be Pirlo or Xabi Alonso lol. 

I'm not worried about De Bryune running at our midfield at all. He's hardly a Kaka or Silva. I'm more worried about what he will do with the ball (aka pass/shoot/dead ball situations). If Aguero was injured, I'd feel a lot more safer. :(

Edited by Aaron

NB96    853

Are Liverpool moving to a 4-2-3-1 shape now? I saw you are interested in RB Leipzig's Timo Werner.

Also I really hope City win. Kick off is at 9 right? At least I will get home from work in time to watch.

Aaron    2030

8PM uk time. We've been messing around with a few shapes. I think we'll revert to 4-3-3 for tonight. 

We have Harry Wilson on loan too who looks great. 

Also we could do with bringing in another player who does what Shaq does a bit more consistently. 

Faint    5859
12 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I've said it for a LONG time but Robertson is awesome.. 

Did you see Robertson in the last match? Plenty sloppy, gave away the ball like 2-3 times in compromising positions but luckily we didn't get punished. Yes Robertson is one of the best fullbacks in the league but the cracks are being papered over because we keep winning and not being punished. Do you watch the games for the full 90 minutes?  Its quite obvious. Like this is literally a general observation that he's slowly giving away the ball in compromising positions.. not something speculative. Hopefully its just complacency cos we're fucking nuts atm.  Luckily Robertson seems to raise his game in the big matches so hopefully its a non-issue. 

Yeah Fabinho is great, he's just not going to get the luxury he'd had at poorer teams of dominating play and having time to dictate it from deep because its Manchester City we're playing. We'll hopefully see much more of his ball winning ability and interceptions today (which I also love). I think to dominate and dictate play against a team like this City side, your name would have to be Pirlo or Xabi Alonso lol. 

I'm not worried about De Bryune running at our midfield at all. He's hardly a Kaka or Silva. I'm more worried about what he will do with the ball (aka pass/shoot/dead ball situations). If Aguero was injured, I'd feel a lot more safer. :(

Yeah, I didn't watch the last game for the full 90 which is probably a reason why. I don't think it is a regularity at all thoguh and when he's 1v1 and a wingers running at him I always feel like he's going to win it - especially if he's up against Sterling.

With Fabinho his ball winning skills are brilliant, my issue is that he can be a bit sloppy in posession in the defensive half because he isn't used to being put under as much pressure as he is in England - city are awesome at putting pressure on (though theyre no Spurs - kings of "putting the pressure on" :') ).

De Bruyne picking up the ball can dance away from players, commit a defender then pick out aguero and leave him 1v1 with one of our defenders. he's definitely quicker at it than silva and one of the best ive seen, hopefully hes a bit rusty though. that's when i'd worry, because aguero is an unreal marksman and has such quick feet.

city dont have a LB to play so theyll likely move laporte there to deal with salah, so tyhat could open up a lot of space in the middle for firminho (laporte is the 2nd best CB in ther league after VVD) so that where liverpool can really hurt city especially on the counter

RE; "another shaq-esque player" - hopefully ox will be back soon. imagine a fully fit ox and shaqiri on the bench... un fucking real. too bad we wont see it till like march though 

Faint    5859
9 minutes ago, NB96 said:

Are Liverpool moving to a 4-2-3-1 shape now? I saw you are interested in RB Leipzig's Timo Werner.

Also I really hope City win. Kick off is at 9 right? At least I will get home from work in time to watch.

"interested"  - its pure speculation at the moment tbh

Aaron    2030
6 minutes ago, Faint said:

Yeah, I didn't watch the last game for the full 90 which is probably a reason why. I don't think it is a regularity at all thoguh and when he's 1v1 and a wingers running at him I always feel like he's going to win it - especially if he's up against Sterling.

With Fabinho his ball winning skills are brilliant, my issue is that he can be a bit sloppy in posession in the defensive half because he isn't used to being put under as much pressure as he is in England - city are awesome at putting pressure on (though theyre no Spurs - kings of "putting the pressure on" :') ).

De Bruyne picking up the ball can dance away from players, commit a defender then pick out aguero and leave him 1v1 with one of our defenders. he's definitely quicker at it than silva and one of the best ive seen, hopefully hes a bit rusty though. that's when i'd worry, because aguero is an unreal marksman and has such quick feet.

city dont have a LB to play so theyll likely move laporte there to deal with salah, so tyhat could open up a lot of space in the middle for firminho (laporte is the 2nd best CB in ther league after VVD) so that where liverpool can really hurt city especially on the counter

RE; "another shaq-esque player" - hopefully ox will be back soon. imagine a fully fit ox and shaqiri on the bench... un fucking real. too bad we wont see it till like march though 

Yeah they're not showing his small mistakes on MOTD. Its honestly crazy, he just doesn't get punished for them at all not that I'm complaining. That game we were really quite sloppy.

Sterling is so shit at anfield but I think at the etihad, it will be up for it cos our fans always bully him when we play at home. 

Nah, I don't think Ox fills that void at all. Shaq in the last game was basically a shit Coutinho. We need to replace THAT type of player IMO. 

Faint    5859

makes sense as to why we went for fekir in the summer to be honest

Aaron    2030

Argh how team selection has bottled it. 

I don't think the 3 midfielders we've picked are the right selection. We've gone for all out energy but this game is screaming for someone to go toe to toe with Fernandinho. Hoping for Fabinho and Shaq on. 

Sadly as I kind of predicted, Aguero has hurt us. 

• Upvote 1

NB96    853

Great combination play for the Liverpool goal

NB96    853

How many times did Ederson come out of goal only to flap at the ball and miss completely?

Faint    5859

I thought ederson was really good today

Kompany should've been off in the first half

Sane goal world class 

I love all Liverpool players despite their occasional flaws and mishaps. Except Lovren. Lovren can fuck off.

Aaron    2030

Both goalkeepers were amazing. Basically playmakers in their own half. 

Kompany should have seen red.

We had 2-3 goals cleared off the line so there is an element of luck there. 

Sterling in the second half was constantly destroying us and due to him, the second goal happened. Sane's finish was good but if it wasn't for Sterling, that goal wouldn't happen. Forced into a 4v3 on a counterattack against any good side is going to be very difficult. 

I thought Lovren had an ok game. 

Sadly Klopp played it way too safe with his midfield selection and it cost us because in the first half, only Gini was able to retain the ball under pressure. Hendo and Milner are the best pressers of the ball in the premier league but their BIG weakness is that they're also some of the worst at being pressed from the top 4 midfielders. 

Salah should have also been played through the middle from the off so that he could just go all out versus Kompany. The whole advantage in my mind was Laporte had to play LB but we made it easy for them. 

In conclusion, Aguero scored a goal like he always does against us in the first half. Second half Sterling came to life and set up Sane (albiet it could have been any of their players in that counterattack) for a finish. We setup to contain and press in midfield and ultimately, that cost us. 

Also I love Hendo but clearly him and Milner are now showing their limitations against the top-tier clubs. I still love Milner because he's a big game player who can cover multiple positions and he was rushed back from injury. I think Hendo has a few excuses. 

I can't help but feel Klopp totally fucked up this one. All we needed was a win OR a draw. And we bottled it, tactically and mentally. 

I also felt sorry for how late Sturridge was brought on. Literally no time to make an impact from someone who could actually pull a wonder goal out. 

Us loaning out Clyne is fucking weird too. 

+Urthor    10227

Like let's call a spade a spade, Klopp basically throws the FA cup every year and doesn't give the slightest shit, and Liverpool is the only club in the top 6 that does this.

Probably a fair enough move but there's no other possible excuse, Klopp played maybe the best back 4 he had available but he didn't play close to the best side he could have

• Upvote 1

Faint    5859
2 hours ago, Urthor said:

Like let's call a spade a spade, Klopp basically throws the FA cup every year and doesn't give the slightest shit, and Liverpool is the only club in the top 6 that does this.

Probably a fair enough move but there's no other possible excuse, Klopp played maybe the best back 4 he had available but he didn't play close to the best side he could have

100% agreed, and honestly its a policy i agree with

what does the fa cup give you? seriously? its as redundant and the league cup and completely irrellevent in modern football terms. the league and CL are the ONLY trophies that matter

sure if you have a big enough squad (city) you can challenge on both but id honestly rather liverpool go out now and not have the fixture pileup. klopp seems to agree, he played 4 players who were 16-17 for goodness sake haha 

+Urthor    10227

FA Cup is extremely relevant in that it's a knockout football comp and it's supposed to be a measure of a team's ability to play knockout football.

Especially in an era before the Champions League etc etc etc it was the avenue where you proved yourself in knockout football, and it remains extremely relevant in that sense under the idea that sides may still be a lot better at knockout football and turning up to a big game than they are at the 38 week grind.  

I wish there was a way for it to be taken more seriously because I like the philosophical idea of what knockout football represents.  Also that the November internationals got the axe and there was a proper winter break instead.

Unfortunately it exists in a football world where really players play an obnoxious amount of games that is basically unhealthy for them.  The stories you hear about "this youth player was really good but he got injured because he playing two games a week is physically ridiculous for a developing body" is crazy.  Being good at professional football is as much about being gifted the constitution and health work to not be injured while running a half marathon or more across a two game week as it is to being good. 

Aaron    2030

Trophy is a trophy and Klopp IS under pressure to deliver some silverware at some point. 

Progress in the league is great but for the mentality of the side, winning SOMETHING is important because it produces a winners mentality. Winning a final for Klopp & the team is also EXTREMELY important as mentally, there is no doubt that we now have a really nasty record on our hands when combining Klopp's record in finals with our recent performance. 

How someone spins us going out of the FA Cup as a good or irrelavant thing is beyond me. We lose to city, now get knocked out of the FA cup. this is absolutely how seasons can de-rail and spiral out of control.

Also the team he put out should have won. We've just lost to City, an awesome performance from any of them would have allowed them to slide into the first XI potentially.. 

The cracks are clearly starting to appear and sadly we do lack experienced winners like Kompany to steady the ship. Its now over to Klopp to do it.. 

Edited by Aaron

Faint    5859

I'm honestly more concerned about the brighton game. They're tough to beat at home, but definitely a game we should be winning. If we don't get a win then I think we really are in trouble of losing the pace

+Urthor    10227

Definitely seems to be a massive must win the league silo mentality.  Ofc they are in a brilliant position to do just that and statistically leading at Christmas makes it almost assuredly likely that they close it out, but the pressure is clearly ratcheting up massively on Liverpool, they HAVE to do it otherwise the entire project explodes. 

Liverpool will probably drop points to a side that isn't top 6 at some point, it's just likely, but Brighton doesn't seem more likely than any other opportunity

Faint    5859
26 minutes ago, Urthor said:

Definitely seems to be a massive must win the league silo mentality.  Ofc they are in a brilliant position to do just that and statistically leading at Christmas makes it almost assuredly likely that they close it out, but the pressure is clearly ratcheting up massively on Liverpool, they HAVE to do it otherwise the entire project explodes. 

Liverpool will probably drop points to a side that isn't top 6 at some point, it's just likely, but Brighton doesn't seem more likely than any other opportunity

I'm not sure the project explodes... when Klopp took the job 3.5 years ago he said "in 4 and a half years we will win the league"... so still time. Problem is that City are soooooo good with so much brilliant young talent that they'll just be consistently incredible. This is probably the best chance Liverpool will have for the league and if we don't win it'll be a huge blow.

Our starting 11 is probably as good as City, but they have a much much better squad depth so they'll always have the advantage in the league.

Very frustrating - any year other than the past 2-3, liverpool would be walking the title with this team. City are the best team in PL history though, so to compete with them is so tough

+Urthor    10227

City are not that much better relatively speaking than the United/Arsenal teams at the turn of the century, people forget just how stacked those teams were because there were far fewer big clubs competing for talent. 

City are better only in the sense that the on field standard has risen as money and professionalism ratcheted up, so in an absolute sense they are better, but not exactly the best standard overall compared to the continent. 

NB96    853

Lol Robbie interviewed Mia Khalifa

NB96    853

Solskjaer is amazing and so is Big Dave. Spurs put so much pressure on but we defended bravely. If we actually break the bank for Koulibaly we could really go for top 4.